Data Recognition Corporation

Updated 22 August, 2014
Updated 22 August, 2014

3.5

Susan Engeleiter

Good experience, overall a good company to work for

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard working environment, good benefits, wellness programs, vacation time, time off for volunteerism, good health and dental benefit options, medium sized company.

Cons

Personal growth was limited due to budget constraints for training.

Consider 360 degree reviews for team leads, managers, and directors. Continuing education was discouraged due to cost.

"Wonderful time working here."

Former Employee - Standized Test Scorer  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Standized Test Scorer in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Enjoyable staff and flexible hours.

Cons

Seasonal only for reader/test scorer.

This company comes off as having bi-polar disorder.

Former Employee - Technology Worker  in  Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Technology Worker in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For a small company, they have a lot of big company benefits like tuition reimbursement, on-site fitness, and a cafeteria.

Cons

The bi-polar disorder this company suffers from is often discussed and disquised as "we are a nimble company" or "we offer boutique style services" or "we cater to our customers needs". What the reality is, we would often stop everything we are doing to start working on something completely different because a client requested it -- regardless of if it was a revenue generating venture or not. More often than not, we would spend the majority of our time working on projects and systems that were in support of one particular line of business that was where the least revune would come from (surveys) -- all while ignoring the largest most revenue generating business lines (education).

This is a contract award based business. If contracts are being awarded, let the good times roll. If key contracts are not awarded, last one standing is a rotten egg. I feel that this could actually be changed to a "Pro" if the management of the company would focus on long term viability and strategy rather then trying to win that "next thing". Short sightedness I believe sometimes causes them to lose over the long term.

Management at DRC is very all-over-the-board. In my tenure with the company I worked for managers that were inexperienced, absent, micro-management focused, or completely focused on their own career. So frusturating when career advancement is based on who you hang out with after-hours, or who you are related to. The good ol' boys club is alive and well here in Maple Grove.

DRC needs to awknowledge that they have a serious management issue. My opinion is that they need to replace their executive leadership team with people that genuinely care about the company's well being and their employees. My belief is that the executive team doesn't report to any shareholders (being privately held) so it's the wild wild west. Completely inappropriate uses of time and money are not uncommon. Give me the name of any other 500 person company that feels the need to have two private jet airplanes so that owners and executives can travel for vacations, golf, sporting events, and family trips? In a publicly held company, they would be removed from position.

DRC needs to come to grips with the fact that they aren't a big company and needs to quit spending that way. Putting a new office up without any though process behind it is an expensive endeaveor. I witnessed and helped with many of these office building build-outs. Put some thought behind allowing your employees to travel. I first-hand witnessed entire teams of people traveling only to do things that could have been done remotely or with local labor. The company and it's employees (generally) learn from what management does. If you see management traveling for the sole purpose of eating a giant steak and a $100 bottle of wine on a "business" trip dinner, what do you think your employees will think is acceptable next time they travel?

Specific to IT, DRC needs to reconfigure the entire reporting structure. Network engineers should not be reporting to an IT director. What ends up happening is IT directors begin acting as a manager and the CIO ends up acting as an IT director -- leaving the whole IT strategy hanging. The CIO should consider working on IT strategy rather than pulling up his sleeves and getting directly involved with things like storage upgrades and operating system migrations.

I believe that DRC is going to have to spend quite some time repairing itself before it can attract the top talent again. Salaries have been historically low, although I cannot speak to that in the recent months as I haven't worked there for a while. Recent layoffs will cause a black eye that will be slow to heal. Most candidates place job stability very high on their checklist. DRC was always quick to talk about how they are a family focused company, but in my long tenure with them, I don't remember one time where families were included in an event or even recognized. The employee holiday party is employee-only. Who wants to ask their spouse to watch the kids while you celebrate the holidays by yourself? It doesn't take much to improve morale by doing simple things like a Valleyfair family day or a family holiday party. If you are worried about the cost of these things, you are doing it wrong.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This used to be a really great company to work for.

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

They provide great benefits although they seem to be par for the industry. The people that work there are very interesting and fun to work with.

Cons

There is way to much nepotism and a very unbalanced pay scale. The company has had a number of layoffs as of late.

Don't keep people or pay them more just because they are relatives or friends of friends and relatives. Also, do more research before investing in a product that no one wants or that can't compete with the industry.

I found DRC to be well managed and fun to work for, never too stressful but seldom not busy enough.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a good time off policy and provide training as needed. I really enjoyed the people I worked for.

Cons

Occasionally things got a bit tedious and not challenging enough. Sometimes ideas were not heard or you were not kept in the loop.

A lot of money was spent on contractors not being utilized. Before dropping employees let them go. Employees could be challenged more or allowed to stretch their wings.

Relaxed environment, ideal for self-starters.

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management was supportive of personal development and work-life balance. Examples include tuition reimbursement, conference participation, and fairly flexible scheduling. Their wellness program is really impressive: healthy-living lunch-and-learns, onsite massage, gym and fitness programs, health-conscious menu in cafeteria, etc. Also, the campus is beautiful, and it's nice to work outside the bustle of the cities.

Cons

The organizational structure is pretty flat, so promotions are infrequent. Compensation is a little below average.

Comfortable and easy temp job

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

The day was relaxing, the people I worked with were nice and helpful.

Cons

Very monotonous work. If you prefer a job where you're on your feet/always moving, this will get boring.

Company is a sinking ship, very poor IS/IT work environment, a company that I would avoid!

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best benefits I have seen, buildings are well maintained and look good, used to be a good company for.

Cons

This company is a sinking ship and just laid off another round of people, inept management especially at CEO and CIO level, toxic work environment, nepotism and favoritism are rampant, poor raises, lower pay compared to other companies, lack up support for training or continuing education, no career path or mentoring structure at all.

I am not sure the ship can be righted, the former CEO and owner of the company must be disgusted how the company has fallen from its former glory. The CEO needs to stop being a tight wad and learn to spend money properly. The nepotism and favoritism needs to end, if you are not in the "in" crowd, there is little to no chance to advance or potentially will be targeted to be forced out. The company needs to actually back up the claim that they support education and training, getting training was near impossible and they cut back and imposed much stricter requirements on tuition reimbursement. The CIO also needs to lead and stop meddling at every level of IT/IS and just provide actual leadership and not rule by fear.

Boring work, but nice people

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Sometimes you get paid for days where you don't work. Fairly relaxed setting.

Cons

Boring work in fluorescent lighting,

Find ways to make work life more interesting

Good / Average corporate job.

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

Nice people and consistent work.

Cons

Salary is slightly below average

none

Worked for Data Recognition Corporation? Contribute to the Community!