Data Recognition Corporation

Updated 19 September, 2014
3.6

Susan Engeleiter

People Oriented

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Seemed interested in employees and in quality. Good pay for the various levels with the ability to increase once certain amount of hours are reached. Great people to work with.

Cons

Things started slipping as the industry changed. They don't seem to have anticipated the changes and are, instead, responding to how other companies are adapting. Will overwork excellent employees, plus it's hard to move ahead unless you're in MN.

Overall, great company to work for

Former Employee - Test Development Specialist  in  Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Test Development Specialist in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, growth, environment, pay, employees

Cons

Lack of contact with executive level leadership, not much room for advancement beyond a certain point

A nice enough company. A good place to get a start fresh out of college. Not stable right now.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Maple Grove headquarters has a beautiful building, easy parking, and a nice on-site cafeteria and gym (with yoga and fitness classes). I worked with some very nice people, was treated with respect, and they had some good structures/processes in place. Privately held, so they don't have to dance to stockholder whims, which is a plus in my view. Some nice benefits, such as wellness programs, on-site massage (for a fee), and tuition reimbursement.

They provide a good opportunity for new college grads to get some experience and frequently hire a lot of new grads (cheap labor for them) and they know how to promote from within...sometimes...but they don't seem to know what to do with more experienced workers coming in from the outside.

They frequently paid out on their profit sharing plan in the years I was there, although I expect that will be changing now (they've had some recent layoffs and business downturns).

Cons

Pay generally lower than similar positions at public companies and pay increases laughably low...almost never even kept pace with cost of living increases, no matter how hard you worked. A LOT of (unpaid) overtime for salaried employees when things got busy, which they did for months at a time every year. They pay good lip service to work/life balance, but when your manager and all your coworkers are answering emails around the clock and during their vacations, it's hard not to feel like you'd be judged as a lesser employee for not doing so as well. They're currently caught up in a lot of the turmoil around the transitions in the testing industry, which is affecting their contract renewals, so they've had some fairly sizable layoffs this summer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current Employee

Current Employee - N/A  in  Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Current Employee - N/A in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very nice environment. Get the work done, but in a fun environment. People like to have fun, but work oriented for most and are not afraid to take on extra work.

Cons

Could communicate more downstream to teams.

Focus and discipline employees that do not seem to be "pulling their own weight". Instead of hanging on to them for a year.

There used to be a good company for seasonal work but it has gone downhill.

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

It's pretty cut and dry what you do. You are trained to score tests all day and are told how to grade them.

Cons

It's kind of like working in a factory but instead of making widgets you are grading tests. They used to be concerned about accuracy as well as production but now all they care about is production. Management is very secretive about things and people get placed on projects or promoted due to favoritism or that they are friends with a certain person. Projects now over-lap so you don't get as much work as you used to. Sometimes they will tell you that you are working "overtime" but then end the project early so you actually don't make as much money as you think you are going to make. Work is extremely monotonous. You are grading the same question all day long for weeks and it's extremely tiring reading long bad answers all day.

Be honest with your employees and let them know what is going on. Assign people to projects and promote people based on merit, not favoritism.

Poorly run, lack of tools and updated software to get the job done

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

There are some amazing people that work for this company

Cons

Below average salary, very top heavy, promote work life balance than don't follow through. Very poor management and poorly run. They are losing major contracts for good reason.

N/A they don't listen anyway

Nice people to work with, but management not that great

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

DRC is transitioning to online testing, they are trying to use a lot of new technologies and shift to open source area.

Cons

they don't have right people to work on it especially the management team. The management team doesn't have great experience to manage new software development and they don't know what they have and they are also not good at to place right people into the right spot.

Senior management need to find qualified people to manage software development.

Good experience, overall a good company to work for

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard working environment, good benefits, wellness programs, vacation time, time off for volunteerism, good health and dental benefit options, medium sized company.

Cons

Personal growth was limited due to budget constraints for training.

Consider 360 degree reviews for team leads, managers, and directors. Continuing education was discouraged due to cost.

"Wonderful time working here."

Former Employee - Standized Test Scorer  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Standized Test Scorer in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Enjoyable staff and flexible hours.

Cons

Seasonal only for reader/test scorer.

This company comes off as having bi-polar disorder.

Former Employee - Technology Worker  in  Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Technology Worker in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For a small company, they have a lot of big company benefits like tuition reimbursement, on-site fitness, and a cafeteria.

Cons

The bi-polar disorder this company suffers from is often discussed and disquised as "we are a nimble company" or "we offer boutique style services" or "we cater to our customers needs". What the reality is, we would often stop everything we are doing to start working on something completely different because a client requested it -- regardless of if it was a revenue generating venture or not. More often than not, we would spend the majority of our time working on projects and systems that were in support of one particular line of business that was where the least revune would come from (surveys) -- all while ignoring the largest most revenue generating business lines (education).

This is a contract award based business. If contracts are being awarded, let the good times roll. If key contracts are not awarded, last one standing is a rotten egg. I feel that this could actually be changed to a "Pro" if the management of the company would focus on long term viability and strategy rather then trying to win that "next thing". Short sightedness I believe sometimes causes them to lose over the long term.

Management at DRC is very all-over-the-board. In my tenure with the company I worked for managers that were inexperienced, absent, micro-management focused, or completely focused on their own career. So frusturating when career advancement is based on who you hang out with after-hours, or who you are related to. The good ol' boys club is alive and well here in Maple Grove.

DRC needs to awknowledge that they have a serious management issue. My opinion is that they need to replace their executive leadership team with people that genuinely care about the company's well being and their employees. My belief is that the executive team doesn't report to any shareholders (being privately held) so it's the wild wild west. Completely inappropriate uses of time and money are not uncommon. Give me the name of any other 500 person company that feels the need to have two private jet airplanes so that owners and executives can travel for vacations, golf, sporting events, and family trips? In a publicly held company, they would be removed from position.

DRC needs to come to grips with the fact that they aren't a big company and needs to quit spending that way. Putting a new office up without any though process behind it is an expensive endeaveor. I witnessed and helped with many of these office building build-outs. Put some thought behind allowing your employees to travel. I first-hand witnessed entire teams of people traveling only to do things that could have been done remotely or with local labor. The company and it's employees (generally) learn from what management does. If you see management traveling for the sole purpose of eating a giant steak and a $100 bottle of wine on a "business" trip dinner, what do you think your employees will think is acceptable next time they travel?

Specific to IT, DRC needs to reconfigure the entire reporting structure. Network engineers should not be reporting to an IT director. What ends up happening is IT directors begin acting as a manager and the CIO ends up acting as an IT director -- leaving the whole IT strategy hanging. The CIO should consider working on IT strategy rather than pulling up his sleeves and getting directly involved with things like storage upgrades and operating system migrations.

I believe that DRC is going to have to spend quite some time repairing itself before it can attract the top talent again. Salaries have been historically low, although I cannot speak to that in the recent months as I haven't worked there for a while. Recent layoffs will cause a black eye that will be slow to heal. Most candidates place job stability very high on their checklist. DRC was always quick to talk about how they are a family focused company, but in my long tenure with them, I don't remember one time where families were included in an event or even recognized. The employee holiday party is employee-only. Who wants to ask their spouse to watch the kids while you celebrate the holidays by yourself? It doesn't take much to improve morale by doing simple things like a Valleyfair family day or a family holiday party. If you are worried about the cost of these things, you are doing it wrong.

Worked for Data Recognition Corporation? Contribute to the Community!