Danaher Reviews

Updated 10 September, 2014
Updated 10 September, 2014
2.6

Danaher President, CEO, and Director Larry Culp Jr.
Larry Culp Jr.

Pros
  • Very process driven the Danaher Business System really works (in 9 reviews)

• Good compensation, good benefits, some good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Danaher can be a tough place to work in terms of work life balance and stress (in 13 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Huge potential. Too much short term focus on sales, no true organic growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you want to learn business systems, this is the place to be. Danaher is very effective at what I call the firm processes such as manufacturing. procurement, quality, and even sales to some extent.

The people are great (but moral is poor)

Cons

Danaher does poorly with, excuse the term, fuzzier processes such as innovation and organic product development. My belief is that there are flaws with some of the concepts behind the DBS system. One of the concepts appears to be that anyone or any team can be made to fit a role with the appropriate DBS tool and training. To some extent, that is true. Virtually anyone can be taught to swim, or to play a musical instrument. So, while anyone can be taught the tools, you get mediocre performance from mediocre skill. There is little or no attempt to highlight and assist the people that are excellent in their roles, at least at the innovation level. Managers of these people may get noticed, but they are not the innovators.

Danaher is not, in my experience, a company where skills and contribution are valued more than being a manager. There is no balance re specialists, SME's, etc. If you are not a manager it is hard to get your voice heard. Your viewpoint may be heard if you are fortunate enough to have a boss who brings your voice forward and does not take credit for it. , A boss that does this though does it sometimes at their own peril.

Danaher managers are not 'people' managers, even the better ones. They tend to try to project and micro manage. Who is managing the people? There is no real career path planning, no training for new roles, no mentoring (again unless you are lucky). A wise person once told me "good managers give their people the tools knowledge and resources to get the job done, and then let them do their job". No micromanagement in that.

Danaher focuses much too closely on maximizing profit to shareholders. This myopic view has the effect of having everyone lose sight of the other aspects of growing the company, i.e. innovation, organic growth, etc.. Forget about suggesting 2 year or longer projects even if you have the very lucrative business cases to back them up. Managers like the idea of doing these projects, however they are being driven very hard by their managers to increase weekly and quarterly profits.

1) Examine truly successful innovation driven companies that grow primarily through internal organic growth. Buying companies is not organic growth.
    2) Determine who your key non-management people are, you have a lot of them that are underutlized, bored and frustrated
    3) take your learning's from 1) and 2) and implement action plans based on what you have learned.
    4)Yes, sales are important, but they are to any company. Focus more on the rest of the business and sales will go up as a result.

The above would be a good start

Can be a good place, but much of the DBS Tools are just a distraction

Current Employee - Senior Management At the OpCo Level
    Current Employee - Senior Management At the OpCo Level

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Honest and ethical company. No worries about impropriety, bribes, illegal activity at Danaher.
    - Tries to communicate downstream well
    - Salaries are fairly decent for mid/senior mgmt.

Cons

- Tries to push a "one size fits all" model onto all OpCos, when in reality, many OpCos might actually perform better if DHR just left them alone or allowed customization of the DBS toolset to fit each OpCo blended needs.
    - DBS is really just Common Sense, but the "one size fits all" formula is pounded into the OpCos so much it just becomes a tiresome distraction from running your OpCo how you and your team know best.
    - Well over half the people drink the Kool-Aid because they must to survive, but don't really believe in all the DBS hype.
    - Can be quite competitive; not always a bad thing.
    - For tech companies (like Fluke, TekComms, Arbor, VSS, Teletrac or even radically consider all OpCos) DHR really should consider granting equity as part of the overall comp and retention package to all fulltime exempt employees.
    - In general, DHR is a fairly unfun and dull place to work, but sometimes the work just isn't that sexy, either.

Customize DBS to each OpCo (or, at least, customize to segments), listen to OpCo leadership more, grant equity to more team members (not just exec team or senior performers) and keep your good ethics and honesty moving forward (that part is refreshing)

Only for the young and those who only like to execute.

Former Employee - Vice President EMEA  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Vice President EMEA in London, England (UK)

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great BtoG/B industries to work in because of their potential and scope. Danaher could be an amazing company to work for, but will need change of culture.
    For very young people great way to learn basic processees and get tech know how.

Cons

Culture is a based on fear, mindless processees and hyrarchical thinking and very elitist.
    It is an investment fund disguised as a operational company run by investment bankers & politicians with a very US centric and mormon mind set..

Try to be leaders and stop behaving like greedy politicians. Activate your teams, think global and built a culture based on people as an asset.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Executive

Current Employee - Executive
    Current Employee - Executive

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company, many people know the stock

Cons

in every meeting you have to give 15 minutes for whom you are speaking with to indulge you on what a great find THEY are. They hire less then competent people in Executive titles that waste more money and time the one has to give

sell off the companies that lose money ad concentrate on the those that generate revenue

Work here at your own risk.

Former Employee - Meetings/ConventionManager  in  Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Meetings/ConventionManager in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're young, and are able to make all of the sacrifices, you can move up very fast in this organization. A modicum of competence and a nod to the DBS quality system is all you need if you know how to play the game and are willing to burn your bridges as you go.

Cons

I worked for many years for a foreign owned company that was purchased by Dananher. They let us operate as per past practices for a while, and we continued to be highly successful, but eventually their management insisted on imposing their will. After 18 months of their serious meddling, it’s a wonder the company is still in business.

Paranoid management, disrespect, constant tension, and long hours sum up most of Danaher’s real culture. Generally speaking, it is a pressure cooker and all communication is one directional – top down. Any attempt to streamline, impact change, or even discuss a better way to do anything is strictly frowned upon when it comes from the bottom. Work longer/harder, don't complain or try to fix any of the myriad broken systems or processes, and don't forget that there are 10 people lined up outside to take your spot (your manager certainly won't forget).

The DBS quality system is a joke. Don’t get me wrong, theoretically it has many outstanding qualities. Unfortunately, the company is operated by ruthless, ladder climbing, management-by-spreadsheet types who have neither the time nor the inclination to learn let alone properly apply the myriad processes. “Whatever worked once will work again” is the prevailing attitude, and a one-size-fits-all solution is forced on everything.

All of the talk about growth, best practices, and competition is just that… idle talk. Ultimately, the Danaher business model is not one of retain and reinvest. It is the same old downsize and distribute, cut your way to profitability, do anything to meet/beat analysts’ expectations on your stock price management style that pervades the entire venture capital culture.

What can I say? Danaher has destroyed almost as many companies as it claims to have "saved". The business plan has made senior managers very wealthy, so there's really no motivation to change anything simply to guarantee the long term future of its constituent companies, their customers and employees.

No vision. No strategy. No hope.

I worked at Danaher full-time

Pros

Met some really good people while working there. I was able to develop strong leadership and motivational skills to counteract the negative environment and poor morale.

Cons

People are let go every year, which leads to a workplace where employees are constantly looking over their shoulder. Morale is very low. People have meetings for the sake of having meetings, which is a result of poor strategic planning and direction.

Take time to develop a strategy for how you would like to the company to move forward. Knee jerk reactions to even the slightest bit of negative news will not take the company to higher levels of success. Pick a plan and see it through.

Have worked at Danaher for 2 years

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than a year

Pros

Danaher pays well and seems to have a lot of upward opportunity for high performing employees.
    True company wide culture around DBS and really accepts and implements lean processes - there are a variety of training opportunities within the company and the corporate level employees are brilliant.

Cons

Danaher is very demanding and can be a high stress environment. Sometimes the decisions that are made are more focused on the short term bottom line versus the long term success and sometimes at the expensive of the customer.

Stay in touch with your operating company level leadership and what they are doing. I think the corporate VPs should meet with middle managers at the operating company to get a better view of what is really going on and how customers are impacted.

If you can "corrective action" your way thru anything; this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Production Manager
    Former Employee - Production Manager

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a company that is known nationwide for being aggressive, a plus on your resume.

Cons

No work life balance at all.

People don't live to work; they work to make a living.

Without a doubt worst place I ever worked

Former Employee - Staffing Manager  in  West Chester, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager in West Chester, PA (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked remotely so I didn't have to deal with a lot of the office politics face to face. Nor did I have to see my so called boss every day which was also a plus.

Cons

Where do I start - horrible management and I was so fortunate to have the worst boss ever. Upper management does not care about anything other than their own bonuses. I had to pay for my own development and was provided with no tools to help me do my job - finally went and paid for myself. Had HR colleagues stab me in the back because they were only looking out for their own survival.
    I would constantly bring up the subject of turnover in HR meetings only to be told to shut up - literally.

Quit - do other employees a favor. Stop calling people idiots and morons to their face and then wonder why turnover is awful!!

Challenging - Training under fire

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They leave you room to grow up in pay and responsibility when you start a job at Danaher. If you work for an acquired Danaher company be prepared to work hard and cut out wasted tasks (process improvement)

Cons

Most of their systems don't talk to one another and yet detail reports are requested on demand.

High paying chiefs are paid well, but sometimes it feels like there are not enough Indians.

Worked for Danaher? Contribute to the Community!