Danaher

Danaher Reviews

Updated Apr 02, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Danaher President, CEO, and Director Larry Culp Jr.

Larry Culp Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good benefits and for the most part the culture is okay but it can be a bit demanding"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The Danaher Business System is a proven success"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Danaher can be a tough place to work in terms of work life balance and stress"
    in 12 reviews
  • "There is absolutely no work-life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Huge potential. Too much short term focus on sales, no true organic growth

Toronto, ON

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you want to learn business systems, this is the place to be. Danaher is very effective at what I call the firm processes such as manufacturing. procurement, quality, and even sales to some extent.

The people are great (but moral is poor)

ConsDanaher does poorly with, excuse the term, fuzzier processes such as innovation and organic product development. My belief is that there are flaws with some of the concepts behind the DBS system. One of the concepts appears to be that anyone or any team can be made to fit a role with the appropriate DBS tool and training. To some extent, that is true. Virtually anyone can be taught to swim, or to play a musical instrument. So, while anyone can be taught the tools, you get mediocre performance from mediocre skill. There is little or no attempt to highlight and assist the people that are excellent in their roles, at least at the innovation level. Managers of these people may get noticed, but they are not the innovators.

Danaher is not, in my experience, a company where skills and contribution are valued more than being a manager. There is no balance re specialists, SME's, etc. If you are not a manager it is hard to get your voice heard. Your viewpoint may be heard if you are fortunate enough to have a boss who brings your voice forward and does not take credit for it. , A boss that does this though does it sometimes at their own peril.

Danaher managers are not 'people' managers, even the better ones. They tend to try to project and micro manage. Who is managing the people? There is no real career path planning, no training for new roles, no mentoring (again unless you are lucky). A wise person once told me "good managers give their people the tools knowledge and resources to get the job done, and then let them do their job". No micromanagement in that.

Danaher focuses much too closely on maximizing profit to shareholders. This myopic view has the effect of having everyone lose sight of the other aspects of growing the company, i.e. innovation, organic growth, etc.. Forget about suggesting 2 year or longer projects even if you have the very lucrative business cases to back them up. Managers like the idea of doing these projects, however they are being driven very hard by their managers to increase weekly and quarterly profits.

Advice to Senior Management1) Examine truly successful innovation driven companies that grow primarily through internal organic growth. Buying companies is not organic growth.
2) Determine who your key non-management people are, you have a lot of them that are underutlized, bored and frustrated
3) take your learning's from 1) and 2) and implement action plans based on what you have learned.
4)Yes, sales are important, but they are to any company. Focus more on the rest of the business and sales will go up as a result.

The above would be a good start

Network Engineer

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Danaher full-time

ProsAlways something different.
All in all great place to work

Conscan get burnt out
Danaher asks alot out of thier employees

Treat me well, but too much focus on stock price

Solon, OH (US)

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than a year

ProsI'm at an op-co, Keithley Instruments. Locally, it's a great environment, friendly (if nerdly) people. Interesting work and products.

ConsCheap. Have to fight to get computer equipment appropriate to the job you are doing. Danaher is stock-driven, so game playing at the end of every quarter to make the numbers look good. Many departments are chronically short-staffed; only so much more you can do with less.

I divorced at 35, but became millionaire at 38...

Vice President of Sales (Current Employee)
Stuttgart (Germany)

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGlobal exposure, career opportunities, core values, compensation package, freedom

ConsStar Wars: you will find bright leaders whom are the gate keepers of the company values with whom you will learn and grow, but also you will find poor leaders very opportunistic working the month to make up their finance call and that will surf on the ever leaning race of the businesses to build their career and be a threat to your success, to Danaher success

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more of the skip meetings with Group Exec/Senior Management. GM / BUM / VPs should have a 360° every year with a participants list they do not choose and being extended to all functional departments (2 each)

If You Live to Work, This is Your Place

General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat opportunities if you're willing to sacrifice and work extremely hard. Will become a millionaire if you get in the equity program. Great business system and processes for most everything. If you can survive here, you can survive anywhere.

ConsProcesses aren't always followed. Quest for revenue growth leads to some questionable ethics and decisions. More politics than sr. leadership will admit to. No investment in facilities and work environment is poorly maintained. Not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeploy some capital in the facilities and give people a place to work they can take pride in. You are losing customer focus by being overly concerned with short term financial results.

Learning the ropes.

I worked at Danaher

ProsThe people I work with.

Consnot at this time, may rewrite later

Decent but not outstanding.

Supply Chain (Current Employee)

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits and for the most part the culture is okay but it can be a bit demanding.

ConsThe plant equipment is aged and the office carpet, furniture, and flooring is pathetic. Our division is one of the largest cash flow generators for Danaher but you would never know it by the condition of our office and building. Also, when I was hired, outside ideas were welcome but now it is strictly all about DBS as the only way of running a business. I would probably not recommend this as a place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake loose some of the cash and update the building.

Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Danaher

ProsLearn a lot of new skills

ConsBad pay and far too much pressure, which results in a poor working environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more supportive of the staff

Brutal - Chew-you-up Environment

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOutstanding development experience with lots of autonomy. Above average talent - some of the smartest folks out there. Very process driven the Danaher Business System really works. Highly engaged senior team - they are in the business the majority of their time.

ConsVery strong culture - you either fit or you don't. Highly critical culture in the sense that nothing is ever good enough. Very little positive or honest feedback. One day you come into work and you are fired with no warning. Very low marks on innovation because they emphasize following process over trying something new. It is not a happy place, people "endure" work to the point where it becomes a competition to see who the biggest "martyr" is.

Steady but dull place to work

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable, if you are in a profit center

ConsNo risk taking, no internal RandD, would rather acquire than promote interrnal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks, spend some money, you can't take it with you.

Worked for Danaher? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Danaher reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Danaher CEO Larry Culp Jr.. All 102 reviews are posted anonymously by Danaher employees.