DISH Reviews

1,813 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,166 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a professional environment

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at DISH

Pros

The pay is decent and the 401k company match.

Cons

Words of caution... supervisors and senior management are rarely on the same page. Constant disconnect in communication. Very immature coworkers who do not take their job seriously. High school environment. Better be in cahoots with the right people if you wish to be promoted. Performance and track record are not your key to success here. I was told when I was hired that there are "plenty of opportunities for overtime if you need extra money" which translates to you must work mandatory overtime at a moment's notice. For those in school and those with life commitments, steer clear. This is a mediocre job and mediocre company at best, so if you consider yourself a professional and have even an ounce of respect for yourself, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Where do I begin...

The work is alright, the people are good, the pay is really lousy

Current Employee - Analyst/Developer II  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst/Developer II in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

if you work hard & do good, you'll be noticed.

Cons

there aren't too many cons. it'd be great if one can wok at home on snow days.

The sudden shift to company outings is a laugh. keep it & give fair pay!

Not as bad as they say

Current Employee - Manager  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great upward mobility if you are hard working and motivated. Creative thinking is encouraged.

Cons

Not much actual decision making occurs below the c-level.

In power your employees. Trust people. Promote leaders.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Dish Network Installer
    Current Employee - Dish Network Installer

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the day I am my own boss but have management available if I need help. Great pay. Every day is different. Great bonus program. Positive feed back from management. Overtime available weekly. Three days off a week.

Cons

Can have difficult jobs. When you can't figure out how to do somthing it becomes very difficult to describe the problem although people are willing to help. Insurance can be better.

I have had great management. Continue to help and support.

Things are getting better all the time

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

There are a ton of opportunities for advancement and growth. The culture is slowly beginning to evolve. Profit sharing is pretty cool and the stock price isn’t bad either!

Cons

The Insurance programs are not great for families. I also don’t have as many holidays as friends with other companies.

I believe the culture here was pretty poor years ago but can see improvement every year. Keep going. We're not there yet.

DISH -- Very special company on the cutting edge of telecom

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have worked at DISH for close to nine years and can say it is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you will work hard; yes, they set very high expectations for you; yes, you will be challenged every day; and yes, there are no massages, ping-pong tables, or free cafeteria food. It is a pure meritocracy and rewards passion, intelligence and results. And, it is one of the most exciting companies in the telecom space today. We are known as a disruptive competitor. That makes every day fun. I am proud to be an employee at DISH and love working at DISH.

Cons

See above describing the type of work environment. This is not for every one.

What you put in is what you get out.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Lead  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Lead in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money is great. The benefits are just like anywhere else. Discount on the service is cool. 401K is awesome and the Employee Stock Purchase Plan is good!

Cons

You have to be able to adapt. Change happens all of the time. This is a fast paced environment and everything impacts the company so everything is being watched. However if you are doing what you are supposed to and you can adapt to change then there will be no issues.

Do not forget the environment. In sales the environment is key, if you want to change or implement something, that is great but do not forget the environment. An environment that is not clean or stable is a recipe for un-happy employees also they will not want to adapt to changes you are making.

Great to a point

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay & benefits. Great service to offer people.

Cons

Constantly changing business policies & keeping up with sales & performance metrics

Hopefully Will Get Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Opportunities to move up
    -LEAD employee training program
    -Smart people
    -Free TV service for employees
    -Access to high level executives

I've worked at DISH for about 4 years now, and have gotten multiple promotions. Hard work doesn't go unnoticed (at least on my team). A lot of your happiness (like at any job) will depend on your manager and the people you work with on a day to day basis. I've seen some teams that are somewhat dysfunctional, but luckily my team is great.

Cons

-Low pay compared to industry averages
    -Terrible benefits (health plan is really bad)
    -You only get 2 weeks of PDO (3 weeks after 5 years)
    -401k takes 5 years to vest
    -A lot of bureaucracy with little focus on ROI (the projects that turn into realities are just whatever the COO is interested in that particular day)
    -Outdated HQ with not enough bathrooms

-Do a better job of investing in and retaining employees. They've been saying that they want to improve benefits and salaries for a long time now, but nothing has changed.
    -Try to trim the bureaucracy and get more teams to work across departments rather than just keeping a silo approach

There's been challenges, but it continues to improve

Current Employee - Training Manager  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Training Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing technology, terrific opportunity, and the chance to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. People here are driven, dedicated, and incredibly savvy. DISH also re-committed to providing even more leadership training to every manager in the company.

Cons

High expectations cause some leaders to forget best practices and that can drive employees out. The company is working to give managers better tools to work with their people, but some leaders aren't willing to change. Those leaders make it tough on their people.

Keep working on leadership! Be willing to change!

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!