DISH Reviews

Updated 17 April, 2015
2090 reviews filtered by

1. Not a good company

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Starting pay is nice

Cons

Work life balance, advisement

" Loved My Job At Dish "Laid Me Off, After Almost 9 Years" Field Service Manager

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Phila, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Phila, PA (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Company to work, I would guess depending on what your position. Great co-workers. Like most jobs, you get out of the job, what you put in, decent salary..bonuses for top performance.

Cons

For me, there were no cons, I put my heart into Dish for over 8 years and was Laid Off, said they were restructuring. Lead my team in Sales and most metrics for almost 2 years and they told me, it was my past performance before that. Really 3 years ago..I just didn't understand where that came from...Since Dish recently restructured upper management" they got rid of the GM positions across the board, so in my particular office the GM was offered the Operations Manager position and the Operations Manager was offered the Field Service position, which they both accepted...so manager ended up being bump down to a Field Service Manager almost 2 months before I was laid off , so I should have seen the writing on the wall.. I wasn't even going to post this review but glasdoor wouldn't let me continue to look at other job posting reviews, till I did.

Advice to Management

I think Dish is really headed in the right direction, I just wish upper management would have offered me a position, even if it were a notch below, what I was doing...instead of just throwing me out, after 8 plus years of service...God Bless

Destined for failure

Current Employee - Level Four Tech in King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Level Four Tech in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at DISH (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Co workers and on your own working

Cons

Responsible for metrics that are not in my control

Advice to Management

Figure it out or a lot of senior techs are going to leave

Great place..not

I worked at DISH

Pros

none. really there are no pros

Cons

it sucks the life out of you

6. Good company to be a part of

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Saint Charles, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Saint Charles, MO (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Get to travel, work outside, and meet new people everyday.
    Plenty of OT opportunities.
    You get the ability to self-evaluate through a metrics system, as long as you don't focus too much on just meeting the company standards.
    Plenty of room for improvement if your willing to do the work and can take a TON of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Management team is always helpful and always trying to make your "just enough" more and more by the day. Tuition assistance and decent benefits are also a plus if your in it for the long haul.
    Could potentially make this into a decent career if your willing to put in the time and effort.

Cons

The biggest con of this place is also the metric system. Although is an incredibly useful tool, certain aspects of it are completely out of the control of the tech. Which can result in a consistent fluctuation of your overall score.

As a more minor con is you can occasionally run into difficult customers that feel the need to take out there aggression towards the company out on you

Advice to Management

I would have to say management is pretty rounded in itself. Upper management DOES avidly attempt to increase employee betterment through proven methods, however, with that being said I believe there is a substantial amount of room for improvement.
     i would not focus so much on the metrics that are out of control of the techs. Instead simply touch on it every so often and advise ways to 'maybe' influence those metrics.
    I believe each manager (FSM) should be required to work the field (not ride - along or roll ups) at least 2 full weeks every other month. This not only increases understanding but also increases "manager to tech" relationships, it will provide the managers with valuable hands on knowledge needed in order to properly advice (Keeping the knifes edge sharp so to speak)
    In addition it will also allow managers that haven't been in the field for awhile, or have never been, the opportunity to experience the ever changing processes, equipment, and every day work scenarios.

I have a few more thoughts, But I feel this would very potentially be a game changer, and be a proverbial step in the right direction.
    I would very much like to discuss this, and other thoughts with someone who could possibly consider them and put them into motion.

7. Camp agent,

Current Employee - Completion Department in Roseland, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Completion Department in Roseland, NJ (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

A lot of work and could be stressful are times

Cons

Management doesn't care about the agents, who work hard.

Advice to Management

The coaches/Leads or whatever they are called now need to coach actually instead of just yelling at us with their brad breath. There is 2Leads that are cool, but for the most part the job is ok

Backtracking...

Current Employee - Broadband/DD in Christiansburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Broadband/DD in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance into positions like QA, coach, team lead, etc. We still have bonus chances, even though they are based on numbers that may or may not be correct. The people! Co-workers make it worth it.

Cons

Soon after our CEO announced his retirement, the owner/founder of Dish stepped back into the role. We had a training piece, and I immediately knew right after that things could change...for the worse. We have backtracked into the old era of Mandatory Overtime. Our bosses gave us the message as required overtime, but there is no reason to sugarcoat it. We have been through this before. I would have to say it's pretty disheartening to see us start a downward spiral again. And for what? To sit available 10-12 min at a time, during different durations at work. It doesn't seem very smart to me. You would think it's wasting company money. Now the talks of a Mandatory Shift bid, which I am sure is our new CEOs idea. Bring back the horrible shifts to put customers first and employees last. No need to balance that. Morale is slowly starting to go backwards because of changes like this. I understand helping our customers, but if you are making our lives difficult, it will be harder for us to talk with a smile. Other pay tv providers are making huge strides in technology and what they offer, and how they treat their employees. In our area, MTM a cali center in Pulaski, VA increased their starting pay, which is more than what we start out at, and is also a much less stressful job. I wouldn't be surprised if we start losing people to go there. Why wouldn't they, considering we are too busy tearing down culture to notice. I hope you see my cons as an eye opener.

Advice to Management

Simple. Stop, take a look around. See what you all are about to do. Since 2010, we have made immense progress with building culture, and creating an awesome balance with employees and customers. It took me a long time to become happier taking calls again, but I feel like that is about to change. Stand up for your employees. Stop making things so difficult. Lately it seems like my coach is completely stressed out trying to break through rows of yellow tape to get stuff done for us. Isn't being a coach or manager about managing your people and making your own decisions? I see what my coach has to go through, and the things she can't do on her own, and it's a little disturbing. Create an olive branch and trust your staff. I was a supervisor at another call center and the things I see are a little unnecessary to say the least. A coach near me resigned at the end of his shift. I think he was with the company for like 11 or 12 years or something. Another good coach bites the dust that we could have made happier. From what I hear, there are a few more that are looking elsewhere for jobs. My biggest advice is stop and take a look around. Start rebuilding morale and culture that we lost over the past few months. As my coach says think "Big Picture"....and fix turnover once and for all. Best wishes!

Long hours, inappropriate metrics

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Four day work week. Company provided tools and materials. My direct supervisors were good to go. No direct supervision if that's your type of thing.

Cons

Long hours on those four days. Metrics that they base your "bonus" on are near completely out of your control. Trying to push sales onto techs.

Advice to Management

Look at what your techs are actually doing. It's understandable that since the turnover is so high already you don't care about employees, that doesn't mean working with them to gauge metric goals and what's coming to the field wouldn't be a good idea.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is ok for starting out. You get free t.v. or very heavily discounted prices. Every now and then there would be a nerf battle break out on the floor.

Cons

Does not care about personal life issues affecting your job. Either give everything you got or nothing. Takes a lot of time to advance to another crappy position.

Advice to Management

Dont treat your employees as numbers. When someone gets stressed help them out. We need more time than 15 mins to unwind from all the crazy people. Be considerate to the people that work for you.

doesnt care about your personal life

I have been working at DISH

Pros

.they force you to do mandatory overtime does not care about your personal life or your schedule conflicts

Cons

discounted service on satellite they feed you sometime and unlimited overtime on you know you want it

Advice to Management

Care a little bit more about your employees and your turnover rate will go down