DISH

www.dish.com
Employer Engaged

I love my job at Dish

Current Employee - Loyalty Representative in Bluefield, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Loyalty Representative in Bluefield, WV (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

I have worked for Dish for 9 years, I love what I do! Sure I have bad days, everyone does, and that happens anywhere that you work. I have worked for major retailers and I have to say, Dish treats you way better than they do. We have great benefits and job security. When I hear people putting down the company that I devote my time to, it hits me hard. I have to laugh because they aren't telling the whole truth on why they don't like working there. In order to be fired, there is a story behind it. Either you didn't show up for work, you manipulated the system or you were not cut out for the job.

Cons

I would like to see higher pay increases, especially since minimum wage went up. Dish has by far the highest pay in my area though.

Be consistent and follow thru on promises.

great company and benefits as well

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Thornton, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Thornton, CO (US)

I worked at DISH

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

you have to be patient with the customers that call

Bad.

Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Racially diverse staff
    Onsite dry cleaning service
    Probably no asbestos at Meridian office
    Views of the Rocky Mountains from Meridian office

Cons

Too many approvals required actually to DO anything, because senior management isn't empowered to trust their lieutenants
    Cheaply run
    Terrible cafeteria
    Everyone is terrified of exec leadership
    Highly political
    Exec leadership are clowns
    They monitor your working hours
    Hapless HR department
    Chairman is a real-world Bond villain. You should Google "spectrum auction" to see what I mean
    Long interview process
    Awful location within the Denver area. It will kill your soul
    Conformism is name of the game.
    Short-sighted decision-making to please the Street
    Shoddy, depressing building. Inadequate parking
    No coffee cups. Bad free coffee. Mediocre paid coffee.
    No good restaurants nearby
    Embarrassingly old technology. Microsoft Office 2007, 10-year-old laptops issued to new hires. 100MB limit on Exchange file means you're constantly having to delete emails & attachments--including important ones.
    Lame dress code.
    Forced to abuse vendors and pay their invoices late
    Awful benefits: minimal holidays, only 10 days' PTO, high deductible ($2500) on health insurance
    Insanely secure tech environment means you can't access any websites without executive approval or use any software without executive approval.
    Not enough conference rooms to meet with colleagues

For Field Service Specialist

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Sioux City, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Sioux City, IA (US)

I worked at DISH

Pros

Usually 4 day work week. Pay is decent. Raises are based on your performance. You don't have to pay for your uniform, just your boots.

Cons

You work in the elements. Some of the metrics you have to hit in order to get a bonus are completely out of your control. You are nothing but a number. They say they promote from within but unless you are around management everyday, you get overlooked.

Don't forget about the little people that work their butts off to pay your salary!

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II/Retention
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II/Retention

I worked at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Foster group environment: have contests, group activities, etc. Potential for fast growth within the company. I have friends that are still there and are making the most out of their benefits packages, (401k plan, medical)

Cons

Hearing customer's complaints all day can take an emotional toll. Hours were difficult and long. Breaks were timed and limited.

Overall, management was good. They did the best they could to foster a comfortable work environment within the corporate confines.

For those just starting out it is okay

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with and the freedom to be left alone for the most part to do your job. The profit sharing/401k are good, especially if you have never had an account before. The front line management is usually okay, but you might get one who has "drank the Kool-Aid" too much and then it is not as enjoyable. The individual jobs are not bad and for the most part you know what is expected of you. There are new opportunities always popping up, if you are willing to stay put for a while and wait.

Cons

Money; benefits; treatment; development of skills; if you are not liked by management you will not advance; being told to do one thing by one manager and then getting in trouble with another manager for not doing something else; no input into your position or how to make it better; no sense of joy from upper management just do as we tell you or we will find someone who will; being lied to about why you can not get promoted; and money again as everyone who is not a manager at Dish is underpaid for the work expected of them!

Stop picking winners & losers based on personal preference instead of work ethic. Try paying your staff more and not lie to them as to why they are not getting a raise this year. Treat everyone the same and not single people out because they do not want to socialize with you (i.e. go out drinking every night) outside of work. Actually train your staff to help them perform their jobs better and to help build their skills so they can move ahead; a sign of a great leader is one who gets his/her people prepared to take new roles within the organization or to take over for them. Treat people with respect and do not belittle them in front of other members of the team or customers.

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Littleton, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Littleton, CO (US)

I worked at DISH

Pros

YOU GET A DISCOUNT ON YOUR DISH OTHER THEN THAT IS ALL DOWN HILL

Cons

Get A discount on Dish.

Really need to back off of CSR who are not Sales leave those sales to sales team.

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Operation Analyst in Alvin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Operation Analyst in Alvin, TX (US)

I worked at DISH

Pros

Co-workers were awesome. Got to travel throughout the US to other sites.

Cons

Management doesn't recognize good people. They only care about themselves and will do anything to make themselves look good. Back stabbers will take credit for work they had nothing to do with. Talk about fudging numbers? It happens all the time. Site visits from VP and director are a joke. Site management cleans house and is on their best behavior - to make themselves look good. What a joke! And you never see the visitors at all, unless it' s a "bad" visit. Mandatory OT. People have lives and kids. Have some compassion since most managers and up have families too; but they aren't forced to do mandatory OT.

Get out there with your front line. Work a day in their shoes and see why they feel the way they do. Stop promising changes that never happen. Live the 5 Cs. PAW doesn't exist with managers and up. Recognize your long term devoted people and stop letting them go. Be honest. Nobody likes liars.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Tester in Spartanburg, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Tester in Spartanburg, SC (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They finally raised the pay scale. Job well done on that. They have taken steps to attempt to make changes for the better.

Cons

Management is very poor. Separate rules for each shift. No one seems to have any answers to any questions on night shift. Right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing. Very hard for some to move with in the company. I have had much better benefits with other companies. I, as well as others would like to see medical benefits with a small copay for doctor visits an prescriptions. I personally can not afford to use the insurance with the huge deductible we have.

All shifts need to get on the same page. They need to listen to their employees concerns more instead of just blowing us off. There have been numerous safety concerns brought up but they blow it off and don't take the employees concerns to heart.

Great job if not married and no kids

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great base salary and really good/smart people to work with. Also, its really easy to try different areas of the company since they do not require previous experience to apply for the role.

Cons

Overly strict work schedule, bad SDLC process (or lack thereof), and TERRIBLE benefits (health insurance deductible for a family is $5,000 and max out of pocket is $12,000, no maternity leave pay, takes 5 years to get 3 weeks PTO)