DISH

1,796 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,154 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Politics

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Tulsa, OK (US)

Pros

Opportunity to learn additional skills that come with a pay increase (not all skill types include rate increase) & internships. In the three years Ive worked there, I went from $11.50 to $16.38. And thats before I received my undergraduates.

Cons

Everything is about politics. There is a high turn over rate. Coaches (aka Supervisors), managers, and floor agents quit or get fired all the time. Firing is usually due to poor project managing and the lack of coaching for the agents. Quitting happens because of poor management, not the customers. Politics: If they dont like you they will find a reason to fire you. The reason will not make sense and they will talk you in circles. Everyone is looking out for themselves to keep their job instead of helping each other, including managers. There is always one or two hiring classes in session. The shifts are done via bid and not flattering. I currently work 11a-10p Friday through Monday. Previous shift was Wed-Sat 830a-730p.

Learn to help those seeking advice to succeed at their job. Be constructive. If your managers actually had degrees, which would give them the training they need, the turn over wouldnt be so high.

Do not expect too to get credit for doing a good job, but look out if your performance slips

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO (US)

Pros

a major employer in the metro Denver area, and very stable as a result. You will always get paid when it is due. The company provides a good benefits package.

Cons

Do not expect to have the company strategy explained, which in sales is very frustrating. Also you risk becoming a messenger between senior sales management and your customer.

Dish does not accommodate a good work life balance and people will seek this elsewhere.

Disorganized and disconnected

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Harlingen, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harlingen, TX (US)

Pros

Site manager is a great guy, lady below him a little cold sometimes but ok, management is willing to work with your schedule when valid, and your stats are top rank, bonus easy to reach.

Cons

Favoritism - numerous coaches having sexual liaisons with employees, and protecting said employees from doing any real work - allows them to quickly escalate calls to sup calls - will fight others tooth and nail - managers of coaches will turn a blind eye to this as long as it doesn't make noise to the higher ups, thus upper management has no idea of this. Trainers will tell you they get incomplete info so sometimes you walk into a storm blind and get held accountable for it. They tell you bonuses are optional, but, to get them, you have to meet your stats, if you don't meet your stats then action plan to termination, so bonuses aren't really optional, just a nice way of them lording your job over you. Will switch your schedule with a weeks notice, if unable to adjust that quickly, de merited, overtime is no longer required, but highly pressured to do so. QA will sink you, but refuses to get into the dirt themselves to figure out where their employees are coming from when they get blasted with call after call.

Get out of your offices, stop relying on your managers to tell you what's going on, obviously employees aren't telling you either, so, figure out how to put your ear to the ground because you're missing some really messed up stuff going on, and put a little more consideration into family life and get in the trenches once in awhile and hold your self accountable to your own standards to figure out how your policies effect the average call.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok Company to work for...

Former Employee - Direct Sales Representative  in  Pine Brook, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Pine Brook, NJ (US)

Pros

Pay is decent, OT is always available to make more

Cons

Benefits are horrible and expensive. Managers are not helpful. No growth potential no matter what experience you have prior to starting Dish

Attempt to promote within. Consider employees resume as well as work ethic while at Dish. Just because someone accepted a lower level position with Dish does not mean he/she has not prior management experience. That experience should not be overlooked.

Inbound Sales

Former Employee - Inbound Salws  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Inbound Salws in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros

There are a lot of nice, good people who work for Dish and this includes some of the management staff as well. If you become good at the job you can make a lot of money here and this isn't one of those places where only the top 5-10% make a decent living while everyone else suffers. Those who make it 6 months should average about 45-50K a year if you perform in the top 50%.

Cons

This job was by far the most frustrating job I've ever had. You will absolutely be micromanaged, the direct supervisors are paid to sit there and assure your wasting absolutely zero time and holler at you from their towering cubicle if you take anymore than 30 seconds between calls because if effects their paycheck.

What angered me more than anything was their version of quality control. This department will monitor your calls and the slightest mistake (and I do mean slightest) you'll lose a sale, the second time you'll lose two sales, the third results in the lose of three sales, ect. This will continue for 6 months then everyone goes back to zero. I know people who where all the way up to losing 30 sales for one mistake. What is extremely unfair is when you make a mistake that results in the loss of your sales you won't find out about it until around 5-7 days later, so if you are making a unintentional mistake you could continue doing so for a whole week resulting in the loss of lots of income money before you'll ever be corrected! I've been hit for mistakes I didn't even make however most supervisors are afraid to give push back for a correction because quality tends to get upset and then they become even more critical and tend to but a target on the backs of all the sales people under that supervisor who called them out for their mistake. It's also strange sales people will never meet anyone from quality control nor will they explain just how it is they are paid which leads to sales people assuming their make their money on some sort of commission type bases for find errors. This is all by the companies doing since they surround the department in such secrecy. Also it really rubs employees the wrong way knowing this is a source of income for the company, and because they become more critical as the more money you make and that is an absolute fact.

Be honest about quality control, leave nothing to the imagination and have them hold the sales people accountable right after their call so the problem is fixed immediately. Don't wait a week and make the employee feel like you waited so the company had more time to take more sales from the employee .

Not a professional environment

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The pay is decent and the 401k company match.

Cons

Words of caution... supervisors and senior management are rarely on the same page. Constant disconnect in communication. Very immature coworkers who do not take their job seriously. High school environment. Better be in cahoots with the right people if you wish to be promoted. Performance and track record are not your key to success here. I was told when I was hired that there are "plenty of opportunities for overtime if you need extra money" which translates to you must work mandatory overtime at a moment's notice. For those in school and those with life commitments, steer clear. This is a mediocre job and mediocre company at best, so if you consider yourself a professional and have even an ounce of respect for yourself, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Where do I begin...

DISH -- Very special company on the cutting edge of telecom

Pros

I have worked at DISH for close to nine years and can say it is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you will work hard; yes, they set very high expectations for you; yes, you will be challenged every day; and yes, there are no massages, ping-pong tables, or free cafeteria food. It is a pure meritocracy and rewards passion, intelligence and results. And, it is one of the most exciting companies in the telecom space today. We are known as a disruptive competitor. That makes every day fun. I am proud to be an employee at DISH and love working at DISH.

Cons

See above describing the type of work environment. This is not for every one.

Things are getting better all the time

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

There are a ton of opportunities for advancement and growth. The culture is slowly beginning to evolve. Profit sharing is pretty cool and the stock price isn’t bad either!

Cons

The Insurance programs are not great for families. I also don’t have as many holidays as friends with other companies.

I believe the culture here was pretty poor years ago but can see improvement every year. Keep going. We're not there yet.

Hard Work and Patience Are Rewarded

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

Pros

I've been at DISH for 5 years and I've seen quite a bit of improvement in moral and employee engagement on a corporate level. If you aren't willing to work hard DISH isn't the place for you - if you are someone who thinks they are entitled to be promoted every six months just because you are there and not based on merit - go work else where.

I've moved quickly into a management position during my time at DISH and I've been given opportunities to learn and expand my skill sets. Although I've had one or two bad mangers - overall I've always worked with managers who care about me and my goals.

Cons

One of the things our CEO and Chariman has asked employees is to "know their business." Select departments know their business and understand other's roles. Many departments though don't know their business and how decisions impact other departments -this often means they end up creating more work for everyone else.

Vacation time is not ideal - and I believe we lose employees because of this. Employees only receive two weeks of vacation time until they hit 5 years and then they get 3. Not very competitive in today's job market. To attract the best employees DISH should be at least offering 3 or 4 weeks initially.

Although corporate has made retention a focus some department heads have not. We've lost a lot of great people as a result.

Focus on retention - recognize that we have talented people and focus on keeping them here.

Department heads need to do a better job of communicating - a lack of communication has caused countless issues.

My overall work experience at Dish has been great.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

Pros

The work environment and my team are great. Everyone works together and supports each other.

Cons

The benefits could definitely be better, along with the time off policy.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!