DISH Reviews

1,810 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,161 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 81 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad for low requirements

Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

3 day weekend, other than health insurance, the benefits are good, take advantage of the tuition reimbursement program, especially if you are young.

Cons

Pressure, lots of pressure, hope you are good at saving money, the $5000 deductible is steep if you need medical help. Insurance doesn't cover a penny until after you meet your deductible.

Change the insurance to something that we can afford to use, it is a joke currently. If you are worried about cost, I'd pay twice the amount for regular insurance where if I go to the doctor I pay $20 and for the hospital $100, I would provably go to the doctor more often and this would lead to healthier employees.

No opportunities for women managers/leaders

Current Employee - IT Professional in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The IT shop is fast moving and modern -no ancient mainframes or move-at-snail's-pace project cycles like telecom, finance, health, or gov't contractors.

Cons

As a long term employee (over 10 years), I am sad to say it is not what used to be for women. in the last 5 years, upper management, the CEO, and Senior VPs, only promote men to Directors or above. Before, they used to put substance over style and schmoozing. The new CEO and the newer VPs prefer MEN who are good at telling them what they want to hear, even though they could not lead a team out of a room with a single door. The double standards for women to advance are ridiculous. The bar is set much higher. "A guy tells it like it is", if a women says the EXACT same thing they think "she's too aggressive". If she defends her team, she is argumentative, or ..."she's not ready" for a women, but for the guys it is "he has potential". The IT department has not hired or promoted a woman to Director level in over 5 years - in fact they lost the ones that were Directors (the last remaining woman Director in IT was hired over 8 years ago, hired under different management). The men who are chauvinists that no self respecting woman would work for (only contractors will) they recommend for leadership programs - but the woman who just got her MBA or the one that has been leading a team for years, gets shut out. The old southern white guy CEO is more impressed with birdbrained men who can schmooze and went to the "right" school, than finding and promoting any woman of substance. If you are a woman and want to move into senior management or a Director level job, you need to go elsewhere. I was enlisted in the Army for years, and I got more respect and had more opportunities for leadership roles and advancement than I do as a professional with a college degree currently at DISH.

There is a DESPERATE need for all Directors, VP and C-level executives to get educated about giving women equal opportunity, and judging men and women on EQUAL grounds. Get over your boys club, boy's locker room, attitudes. I used to recommend people work at DISH, I now can not do that, especially for women.

Test Engineer Intern

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Lots of hands on experience, the people are great, great moving forward mentality

Cons

Company gossip, nothing else to say for a con

Best job that I've ever had!

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is great to work with. The site is full of energy, laughter and over all fun. The Director and SOM/ management staff are super friendly.

Cons

I don't have any issues with the company. There might be some changes here and there but what company doesn't go through them.

Keep up the great work. Let's keep getting closer to our goals and succeed.

A patchwork of rules for evaluating cases

Former Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid training on the job. Satisfying hours, occasional bursts of overtime. Good people to work with, at least those I shared a level with.

Cons

Training was somewhat reluctant, from a coworker and with next to no documentation. Apply a patchwork of rules, get judged while still encountering new cases.

Consider implementing a stronger training regimen

Overall good experience

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Great place to start your career
    -Career growth
    -Dish receiver beta test: If you enroll in the beta test program so will enjoy free TV with the latest receiver on the market
    -Challenging job and never boring

Cons

-Travel policy: Dish doesn't provide you with a credit card for travel expenses, you need to pay for the whole trip (except air fare) and then you will get reimbursed. Also, if more than 4 people travel to the same place you will need to share a room, sometimes you will need to share it with people who you have never meet, this is very uncomfortable. If you wish to stay on your own room then you will need to pay 50% of the total cost (this is not reimbursable).

-Annual performance review: It’s pretty much a competition with your peers and based on the size of your team only 1-2 people will receive a merit pay increase (3% max). So you could have done a great job and met expectations but it doesn't mean you will get a merit increase, I have had many reviews where my manager has told me that I did a great job but my pay increase was 0%. When you do get a merit increase most likely you will not have another one for the next 2 years simple because it’s someone else's turn, at least there’s a rotation so that everybody gets one.

-Salary: There’s always a discrepancy between HQ and other sites, in HQ the salary is always high compared to other cities, you could expect it if the cost of living in HQ is higher but unfortunately it is not the case. Also, in many cases in the same location a level 2, senior level and manager could have the same salary, this had lead to employee turnover, Dish experiences this lot, a lot. I've seen many great employees leave the company because they get another that pays 25% more (in the same city) doing the same job.

-Job promotion: It's very typical that when you get promoted that you don't get a salary increase, rather you do the job for one year and then you get a salary increase.

HR is looking at these reviews almost at a daily basis and sometimes based on the context of your comments it’s very easy to find out who wrote them and some retaliation could exist. This idea is always present on the employees specially when filling out surveys.

I have really enjoyed the large impact of the decisions I make and I work with some great people.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to be one of the main decision makers on initiatives that have multi-million dollar impacts. The hours are very standard and are usually flexible.

Cons

The compensation is not the best. I could go somewhere else and immediately be making more. I also do not feel that the management realizes the value of their employees sometime, but this is starting to improve.

There needs to be a more realistic view on compensation for top employees if you expect to retain them.

It's not the worst, not the best

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In only a few years I was able to move into a management position. Decent pay and I have been given caring managers.

Cons

Other than benefits DISH has a major trust issue. They sent all of leadership through LEAD and although I got a lot out of it I am not allowed to extend trust to my employees because my senior management doesn't trust anyone but themselves. My team is miserable and so am I.

Stop micromanaging and trust your employees.

Great place to work

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's always something to do.
    Room for advancement.
    Every one works together.
    Even upper management tends to help out from time to time.

Cons

I really don't have any cons. I enjoy what I do. The only thing I can think of if there full time hours for the warehouse team and perks like the techs tend to get

Opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Ll in Thornton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Ll in Thornton, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dish hires several times throughout the year. They have a good starting wage. If you are not an attendance issue and have a good attitude you can advance to various depts. They also have tuition reimbursement for most courses. I've been at dish more that a year and can honestly say that for a call center environment it one of the better ones.

Cons

You dont always have a say as to what training you get picked for. The goal is to be upwardly mobile and not everyone has this objective. There are round tables to get info on procedure but rarely do we see changes implemented from the round table suggestions. However, this may be Web because I have not been there long enough.

Sometimes training op's are used as interview tools and perhaps a probationary period might be a more effective way of evaluating.