DISH

1,852 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,194 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 81 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with talented, driven, hard-working installation technicians. Traveling in the area of responsibility. Meeting and helping the very diverse base of interesting customers.

Cons

Brutal hours: 16-20 days. Unrealistic expectations. Leadership that scoffs at Dish culture change for more satisfied, motivated employees. Poor pay compared to the same positions at other telecom companies. Installations is the "bread and butter" of the company, but isn't rewarded as such.

Replace the leadership in IHS Mountain North. They don't represent the direction of the company or its current values and goals.

I enjoy my job, I feel it offers challenge and allows me to grow and learn valuable tools for my career path.

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Good benefits, (relatively speaking).
    Challenging.
    Constant opportunities to move within the company.

Cons

Negativeness of other employees.
    The pay is lower than I like.

Always give feedback, good or bad. I feel this give the employee knowledge of how they are being perceived by others and an opportunity to grow.
    Acknowledgement of a job well done. Far too many times I've seen employees do great things for this company. But, there was no acknowledgement of a job well done. It's as if it was expected of them.

Love the people and company focus on meeting internal/external customer needs

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial/dynamic culture - openness to new ideas, contribution and exciting challenges
    Management actively seeking ways to create a positive work place
    Incredible career opportunities in different areas - company won't hold you back just because you don't have specific prior experience

Cons

Communication between departments could be much better
    Entrepreneurial/dynamic culture - sometimes decisions are made before all possible results are considered

I love that management is making changes that positively affect employees. If there is better/more communication between the starting and ending point, employees can understand that things are moving and not just forgotten.

Going on 3 years.

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Bluefield, WV (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Dish is the opportunity to meet and speak with many different people. I enjoy speaking with customers and helping them. I am a people person and I love getting to know different customers and learning about them. Same goes for my coworkers, I have fun with my fellow employees and there are so many people to meet! The specific center I am employed at has a fun, laid back, and family like environment. Training is good, there are weekly trainings you take on your computer to keep you updated on any changes or important information. You get 80 hours off paid time off to start, which, for me is just fine to start, its better than what I've had at previous companies. Pay is the best I personally have ever had. Plenty of opportunities to get pay for performance, which for customer service agents is amazing!! I'm jealous that I don't get the same opportunity.

Cons

First off, You have to be a patient person! This job will stress you out beyond belief if you can't be patient or if you take things (customer interactions) personally. Pay for performance for advanced technical reps is ridiculous. Highest payout advanced tech reps can get is 15% of a paycheck, which by the way you can only get with ridiculously amazing and hard to get to stats, versus customer service's 50%. I've heard the excuse "We are trying to get CSR to perform better and advance tech already performs at a high level. We can't afford to pay every advance tech 50%." We work our butts off to stay above average and we get no reward. So yes, let's pay the employees that aren't giving an above average performance more money!!! That makes great sense... Anyways, I am finished with that rant. Moving on, the only other con about this job is the sick days and trying to get paid time off. Putting in for a paid day off can only be done if the day is available. Which means based on how many other people have already asked for that day off. They only let you put it in 90 days in advanced which means if someone has already asked for it you won't get it. And if you realized 2 weeks beforehand then someone has definitely already gotten the day. I end up with plenty of hours at the end of the year because I can never get it approved. Sicks days have changed to 5 years.... 5 years before I can get any sick days and this was changed like 2 months from my two year mark so I am especially not happy with this.

The technical aspect of new hire training needs to be improved. I feel like the technical part of training is just thrown at the new employees to which most of them have no idea about any of it. Hardly any customer service reps can successfully resolve a simple technical call and that's because they DONT UNDERSTAND IT. You just tell them to follow portal and have them read things but that doesn't help, if you don't understand how these things work then you aren't going to efficiently resolve the issue and end up transferring a simple issue to advanced tech, who in turn will fix the problem in 1\3 of the time and result in the customer thinking the original agent was incompetent. I don't like getting these transfers because I know if they were properly trained the customer wouldn't be thinking that. Either train csr's well enough for them to understand it or cut out the middle man. It saves a lot of time (which is money) and prevents customer frustration.

OK Company. Lot of work pressure

Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

lot of work and lot to learn

Cons

timing and rules are bad, a lot of work pressure all the time, manager track your time on daily basis, people get fired for coming late after 9:00 AM

company should think about employees

Great experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II

I worked at DISH

Pros

Great leadership that helped when needed.

Cons

Low pay and not much room for advancing.

PFP rules are ridiculous. Customer satisfaction should not be the biggest indicator of good performance. Sometimes a customer is just mad.

Where opportunity meets obstacles.

Former Employee - OJT in Littleton, CO (US)
    Former Employee - OJT in Littleton, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy company to grow in, depending on the site your at.

Cons

Communication and growth can mean harassment. Management dates each other (favoritism).

Do drug screens up front when you hire an employee instead of being cheap that way you get better new hires in a lower turnover rate. Also avoid the harassment with random drug test because you never know what people do in their free time, tie it to a clause for workman comp that's understandable and stop hiring people who you know wont be well for the job. The company has improved but pay is still lacking and employees are still treated unjust unless you know somebody. Also trainers and coaches shouldn't date especially when it's obvious and new hires and other trainers blantly know make it feel like you have to date your way to the top. Certain management is great but some are the exact opposite and could be much more open and through for the better of the company.

Customer service rep

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay. We were paid weekly by direct deposit and never had an issue with this process

Cons

Long work week...the hours were overwhelming for my schedule at the time

Field service technician 3

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Marysville, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Marysville, WA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always have work and overtime,good pay,time off three days off 401k profit sharing

Cons

Occasionally unpaid unknown day off, promotions based on completion of job whether Line of site or not. Bad benefits. 2500 deductible before coverage. Have to sell products to get promoted. Dispatch does not call customers they give to you at the end of the day to say your going to be late then expects the customer to give you 10 out of 10 rating. A lot of out of your control expectation for raise or promotion.

Get into the field and do our jobs and see what everyone is talking about. Then tell us to keep it up. If you do, its all about greed, cause you put all these treats in front of us, but yet so far away. How stressful to know your working hard doing your job everyday and being told just a little more and extremely rarely making those goals. Makes you feel like finding something else...

Great place to get experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immense possibilities to gain experience and be able to work on lots of different projects.

Cons

Benefits were atrocious when I was there. Also, the badge report was something everyone despised because it made everyone feel like they were being treated like a child.

I think bringing in Joe Clayton was a good move. Heard the badge report is gone and moral is up.