DISH

2,009 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,279 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

" Loved My Job At Dish "Laid Me Off, After Almost 9 Years" Field Service Manager

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Phila, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Phila, PA (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Company to work, I would guess depending on what your position. Great co-workers. Like most jobs, you get out of the job, what you put in, decent salary..bonuses for top performance.

Cons

For me, there were no cons, I put my heart into Dish for over 8 years and was Laid Off, said they were restructuring. Lead my team in Sales and most metrics for almost 2 years and they told me, it was my past performance before that. Really 3 years ago..I just didn't understand where that came from...Since Dish recently restructured upper management" they got rid of the GM positions across the board, so in my particular office the GM was offered the Operations Manager position and the Operations Manager was offered the Field Service position, which they both accepted...so manager ended up being bump down to a Field Service Manager almost 2 months before I was laid off , so I should have seen the writing on the wall.. I wasn't even going to post this review but glasdoor wouldn't let me continue to look at other job posting reviews, till I did.

I think Dish is really headed in the right direction, I just wish upper management would have offered me a position, even if it were a notch below, what I was doing...instead of just throwing me out, after 8 plus years of service...God Bless

Started off good

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Employee appreciation Nice attendance policy!

Cons

You have to kiss management butt to be someone. I even see my supervisor still kissing butt.

I love this place!

I have been working at DISH

Pros

The environment is great, the pay is pretty good.

Cons

Hard to move up passed a supervisor...

Get a degree.

"Just One More..." for less and less $$$

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Decent training and support. Co workers great to work with. Generally all with good work ethic. Company provides uniforms, vehicles and tooling to complete installations professionally.

Cons

Extreme micro-management. Every year the company expects more from their employees while devising ways to make bonus structure harder to achieve.

The company has been growing and is becoming more successful as a result of the dedicated job performance of its employees. Chipping away at our earning ability should not be a strategy to increase the company bottom line.

Great place to work, so long as you are willing to work

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVE coming to work every day because every day is new and challenging. I used to work for a company where I would sit around and watch youtube all day because of how dead and slow it was. When things were busy it was great, but once you got into your groove it was very boring without any challenge. Dish is not like that. I have not had a single day where I did not have at least 8 hours worth of work to be done. Yes it is stressful. Yes it is difficult. Yes it is challenging. If you want an easy job where you don't have anything to do, Dish is not the company for you. Dish will provide a great pay but in return they ask you to not only do the job you were hired to do, but to be the best at it. People like to say they "give their all" or they "like a challenge", working for Dish will prove if you are all talk or if you really do believe that. DIsh is certainly not a company for everyone as well. I really appreciate just how honest this environment can be, and yes that means you do have to wear a thick skin. However, that honesty, at times can be hard to hear, drives me to be better every single day. When I do exceptional work, I receive praise. When I don't live up to the expectation I receive honest and direct feedback. If you are the type that can not handle honest and open feedback and use it as a tool to be better, this likely is not a great company for you. Again, many people say they like honest and open feedback, but this company will hold you accountable to see if you really do want that or if you are just using a catch phrase.

Cons

I am not in love with the benefits. Yes I am covered if something does happen to me, but it is expensive. I was spoiled with my wife's benefits as they would have been considered "phenominal" by anyone's standards. Dish has a medical plan that is pretty middle of the road. For where I live, it's cheaper and better than the marketplace, but I do expect more out of a company this size. I also am not a fan of how time away from work is treated. I would prefer to have just a set number of paid days that I can take for any reason, personal or otherwise. Instead there is paid time off and sick time. Paid time does not carry over year to year (frustrating) and 40 hours of sick time does. With this structure, I feel obligated to take all of my paid time off each year, whether I want to or not (not going to throw it away) and I will make sure I only have 40 hours of sick time to carry over...so again whether I need to or not, I will take sick days. In previous employment enviornments I have found that providing a more flexible time away from work plan, the employee's tend to be happier, more productive and less deceptive about why they need time off. Many studies do show that work forces do benefit from a flexible time away from work plan.

I would love to see a complete overhaul of our benefits program. I addressed most of the concerns in the "cons" section. Also, in the last 3 years I have heard "we need to trust our management team to manage". We have spent a substantial amount of money investing in the development of our management force, yet I have not seen much in the way of cutting down the beauracracy and red tape of approvals to get anything done.

An okay company

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at DISH

Pros

Leadership was decent. Didn't have to buy tools or uniforms. Training was good and wasn't too rushed. Room for promotion

Cons

Expected to sell products and do the installations. The pay kind of low for the work that you are expected to complete.

Don't push sales, work on the metrics. The metrics are very skewed against the technician. Kind of unfair

Software Engineer

I worked at DISH

Pros

This is a very fast paced work environment, huge teams in IT and you will find a lot of potential opportunities if you look for that.

Cons

Nothing really except they dont have work at home policy. Average benefits.

Great

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everything is great. I really like everything. Everything is fun and couldn't be better. Everyone should work here because it's great

Cons

Nothing is bad here because everything is great. Like I said before, everyone should work here because it's so much fun. You work hard and make money

Overqualified, but no one cares.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All fellow Dish employees will agree that the Free TOP 250 package is our biggest perk working here. Our second is the employee stock purchase plan (ESPP); which allows you to purchase DISH stock at an immediate 15% discount. Lastly, working a four day work week is envied by many of my 8-5 m-f friends.

Unfortunately, as a technician we only get a $2000 / year educational reimbursement. Managers get a $4000 / year reimbursement. Someone in benefits needs to address this misalignment with today's educational costs and the need to groom smart talent from within.

Speaking from a stockholder's perspective, Dish is doing many things right. We held
    over $20 million is cash reserves, purchased spectrums that will allow us to further grow our business in both wireless and data, and continue to win CES awards for product innovation.

In addition, since I was employed throughout the 2008 financial crisis because so many others were home watching TV and unemployed, I consider this a personalized "pro" for working here.

Cons

There are two types of people who work for DISH. There are those that feel they are lucky to be employed, and those that are looking for a better job elsewhere.

The unspoken truth is that an installation technician is now a revenue source for Dish and will continue to have additional roles without an increase in pay.Think part salesmen, part satellite tech, part in-home-service. (That would be counter productive to their new source of increased profit.)

Try and groom from within. Properly compensate employees(technicians) that caused the majority of 2014's profit growth. Although from a business perspective it makes sense to fire your highest paid front line employees just to rehire lower paid ones, it created a culture of distrust and lack of motivation to reach higher. There continues to be a feeling of job uncertainty, especially since technicians are now your sales people have have quotas.