DISH

2.5 1,660 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,061 ratings)

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years(in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons(in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement(in 100 reviews)

1,660 Employee Reviews

Not a professional environment

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent and the 401k company match.

ConsWords of caution... supervisors and senior management are rarely on the same page. Constant disconnect in communication. Very immature coworkers who do not take their job seriously. High school environment. Better be in cahoots with the right people if you wish to be promoted. Performance and track record are not your key to success here. I was told when I was hired that there are "plenty of opportunities for overtime if you need extra money" which translates to you must work mandatory overtime at a moment's notice. For those in school and those with life commitments, steer clear. This is a mediocre job and mediocre company at best, so if you consider yourself a professional and have even an ounce of respect for yourself, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere do I begin...

There's been challenges, but it continues to improve

Training Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsAmazing technology, terrific opportunity, and the chance to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. People here are driven, dedicated, and incredibly savvy. DISH also re-committed to providing even more leadership training to every manager in the company.

ConsHigh expectations cause some leaders to forget best practices and that can drive employees out. The company is working to give managers better tools to work with their people, but some leaders aren't willing to change. Those leaders make it tough on their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on leadership! Be willing to change!

Not as bad as some say

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsDish has gotten some bad press in the past about working conditions. I was hired into corporate off the street and I was given a copy of the "rules" to sign off on prior to my acceptance of the job. I knew what I was getting into before I even started. My managers always worked with schedule outside of work and gave me the flexibility needed. Are there time where you need to bust your butt and work hard, you bet! Dish is not a place to be complacent, it is a full steam ahead organization, where you need to be on board or you will be left behind.

ConsThere are bad days and good days, just like any job or company.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have no idea why this company doesn't get a higher rating.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Bluefield, WV (US)

ProsExtremely good pay for my area and there is always overtime available as well as approved time off if you're tired and need to cut a day short). If your attendance is good they will bend over backwards to work out a shift swap if something comes up. Excellent support staff always willing to help. In-house contests with great prizes to keep you motivated. It's made very clear what is expected of you and even if you're not getting great results if you're doing the right thing they recognize that. Beautiful, clean facility. Ridiculously cheap TV service because they want you to know the product.

ConsIt's a tough job but it's customer service. That has nothing to do with the company itself. I guess I wish there was a little more flexibility when it comes to dealing with a gray area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. I've worked in different corporate situations over the years and you're as close to getting it right as I believe is possible.

My overall work experience at Dish has been great.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsThe work environment and my team are great. Everyone works together and supports each other.

ConsThe benefits could definitely be better, along with the time off policy.

Things are getting better all the time

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of opportunities for advancement and growth. The culture is slowly beginning to evolve. Profit sharing is pretty cool and the stock price isn’t bad either!

ConsThe Insurance programs are not great for families. I also don’t have as many holidays as friends with other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the culture here was pretty poor years ago but can see improvement every year. Keep going. We're not there yet.

DISH -- Very special company on the cutting edge of telecom

ProsI have worked at DISH for close to nine years and can say it is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you will work hard; yes, they set very high expectations for you; yes, you will be challenged every day; and yes, there are no massages, ping-pong tables, or free cafeteria food. It is a pure meritocracy and rewards passion, intelligence and results. And, it is one of the most exciting companies in the telecom space today. We are known as a disruptive competitor. That makes every day fun. I am proud to be an employee at DISH and love working at DISH.

ConsSee above describing the type of work environment. This is not for every one.

For the most part Dish was an decent place to work.

Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) Littleton, CO (US)

ProsThey do have PFP(paid for performance aka bonus), if you had a good performance that pay period.

ConsTheir show for employee appreciation is lacking to say the least. Their definition of customer service is much to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees as if they are below you. Just because you have a higher position @ work doesn't mean you are so in life itself.

Inept and clueless Analyst/Support teams hamper the success of the Manufacturing Group in El Paso

Supervisor (Current Employee) El Paso, TX (US)

ProsThe work is challenging, engaging and exciting. But only if you really adhere to the projects and group to which you were hired for. If not, then you lose sight of the fact that you were hired as a support function; not a self serving, self promoting selfish individual. If you work as a team member for the benefit and growth of a group then you will get true support and backing of those you work for. If not, then you ostracize yourself from everyone else resulting in a complete lack of faith and most importantly, respect.

ConsIf you have talent and you have skill, use it by all means. Especially if this means supporting and helping the groups for which you were hired to support in the first place. But if you don’t support those groups by not finishing assigned projects, neglecting support requests or by using those skills only for self promotion and brown nosing then you have only yourself to blame. Obviously the truth hurts for one to respond so brashly with the previous El Paso post. It is not whining to expect support from a “support group” and not get it; it is called escalation. It is not paranoia to point out actual issues or problems, it is called reality. If those things sting a bit, then it is you who needs to reevaluate your job and employment here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire or place actual people in those support departments who actually know the true meaning of “support”. You should expect “support groups” to know the true issues that impact the floor and for them to actually do their job in resolving issues, eliminating quality concerns, improving processes and improving the overall quality of work for every associate.
    If your job becomes relegated to taking pictures or viewing video to point out only the negative aspects of the floor then you are not support. If your job becomes relegated to never completing projects since you have “more important” things to do other than assist your assigned group, then you are not support. You are just policing others without doing anything to actually help them. You are not a team member; all you are doing is being selfish, egotistical and self serving. Show the “Exit” door to those people who can’t bear the pain of the truth and get real “workers” who know what it means to provide support.

I love working here

Customer Service Representative III/Tech Support (Current Employee) Christiansburg, VA (US)

Prospromotions from within, great support system, lenient time-off policies (paid time off and unpaid time off), practically free tv service, sales incentives

Consnot super great benefits, but they help cover some health care cost if you choose to go that route

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!