CustomInk Reviews

58 reviews filtered by
3.6
CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Pros
  • Great benefits, lots of room to grow (in 5 reviews)

• Also, I'm very pleased with the benefits package I receive (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, cost of living is more than pay (in 4 reviews)

• The company is growing so rapidly that it's been experiencing growing pains for a while (in 5 reviews)

1. Satisfaction Assurance Associate

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

Really collaborative, team-oriented environment; great feedback loops to leadership; great soft benefits (food, coffee, prizes, etc); wonderful health insurance; flexible hours; opportunity for advancement in a growing department; strong on-boarding/training program

Cons

Young company that is still establishing itself; required overtime hours during busy seasons (fall and spring) without the ability to take much time off due to heavy workload; company is growing very quickly, and it may be overwhelming; leaders are often very young and learning themselves; vet tech-oriented office, so you need computer skills; LOTS of multi-tasking required; performance-based pay goals can be difficult to hit consistently

Advice to Management

Training and feedback are the strongest tools in the repertoire for an SA to improve our productivity, accuracy, and overall customer satisfaction, so we should take them very seriously. Wider skillsets (like adding problem-resolution training) and more tools would be invaluable to life as an SA.

Order Operations - Satisfaction Assurance

Current Employee - Satisfaction Assurance in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Satisfaction Assurance in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun People/Coworkers
    - Semi Flexible Schedules (as long as your manager approves)
    - Good time talking to customers

Cons

- Cost of living is horrible in Northern VA. The role is pretty underpaid
    - No bonuses/financial gains outside of a performance based earning system which can be "plugged" for good portions (means you don't always have the ability to out earn)
    - Some of management is catty (female dominated management team)
    - Managers don't actually understand the role anymore
    - Increased sense of ownership on the representative's part, but management is out of touch with how much work is actually on everyone's plate

Advice to Management

In order to truly understand the role that you have your reps doing - you have to start doing it again as well. You're out of touch with how bad our systems are and how quickly things change, yet our pay is pretty dependent upon us being caught up with the constant guideline changes/roll outs.

Good people, bad pay

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with great people, the insurance benefits can't be beat

Cons

You essentially have to be willing to lose money to grow with the company, they don't fairly compensate when you get promoted at all, mandatory (paid) overtime during half the year

Advice to Management

Give people fair raises and plug them properly when they aren't on the phones

Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

So many cons, I don't even know where to begin.

The company changes something about how we run the business with customers daily, with the high expectation that we should be all caught up.

We have a MOD system, which is basically a reported error that another Inker placed on you for making a mistake. And yes, this effects your pay, and yes it's encouraged and celebrated to give out MODS for any mistake.

Managers constantly micro manage you, do not allow you to be your own self. Managers can come and go as they please , yet we are expected to work long overtime hours.

Managers will dish out a lot of negative feedback to reps, while never or hardly ever congratulating on the positives.

Some are treated much differently, much like high school. If you were in a sorority, you pretty much are a favorite at CustomInk.

You're expected to work overtime for more than have the year. Yes you're paid for it. But over half the year, and each year more and more overtime hours are added to everyone's schedule.

Some people get special treatment when it comes to overtime, and don't perform their over time hours. Lucky them.

You're asked to keep up with productivity, yet many can't even hit the targets, or you won't get paid for the work you have done.

There are monthly surveys which are not anonymous. So people lie and say they are happy to work for CustomInk, when they aren't.

The pay is terrible.

If you get promoted you basically get a pay decrease. Why would you pay someone less to have more responsibilities? How is that even encouraging? It's INSULTING!

A lot of butt kissing goes around in order to get ahead.

Big Brother is watching you.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all old managers and start from scratch. These managers are too immature, unprofessional, out of good ideas, micro managing, play politics, just not a good fit!

Sales representative

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- friendly, caring environment
    - free food
    - lots of opportunities for those who work hard
    - ability to work from home when needed due to weather or illness

Cons

If you work you butt off, you'll make a little more money but nor enough to justify the amount of work you did. Many areas of the performance based earnings are hard to achieve, even if you are great at your job and work hard.

Also, system changes and new guidelines are created and updated so frequently it is hard to keep up and be able to master the job. Sales has a lot to know, keep up with and retain.

Advice to Management

I love management and they have always helped me succeed.

7. The "Golden Rule" has a few gray areas.....

I have been working at CustomInk

Pros

Fun work environment, great benefits, decent enough salary for the industry, great employee perks, fun employee events, room for growth in the company.

Cons

"Train-As-You-Go" methodology with high expectations on management's part that an individual can multi-task at THEIR pace and understand clearly all the tasks they are given .

Advice to Management

More accessible training tips/guides for ALL departments; Never forget what truly made this company as it grows into the future. Everyone needs to be on the same page , from Production to Corporate and all points in between.

Meh..

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative
    Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative

I have been working at CustomInk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work environment and benefits
    - Casual dress code
    - Free catered lunch each week
    - Wholesale pricing on blank apparel orders for you and your family

Cons

- They are terrible at promoting. They choose the "yes" men/women and not the most experienced/educated applicants. A good bullshitter and schmoozer is who gets the higher up positions

Advice to Management

- Realize that the loudest person is not always the best suited for the job.
    - Give annual raises to make senior employees feel valued.
    - While we love the annual extravagant holiday party, we would love a higher paycheck all year much more.

Not a Great Work Culture

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at CustomInk (More than a year)

Pros

Free weekly lunch, free monthly breakfast, great outings (holiday parties, etc), Casual dress code, optional work from home/ telecommute, free coffee, free frozen yogurt machine, BEAUTIFUL office.

All-in-All okay place to work, it just wasn't for me.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the company, co-workers aren't all welcoming.

My biggest problem while working at CustomInk was lack of communication. I started part-time/temp and eventually worked my way up to full time (but I wasn't receiving benefits). I often felt like I wasn't treated as an equal, or I was treated as an intern. Even though I have a Bachelors degree and wasn't in an intern position sometimes they would have be clean out closets, or just sit around without tasks.

While I worked at CustomInk there was a big scandal also known as the "Siouxper Drunk" T-Shirt Scandal. CustomInk won't print shirts it deems offensive, somehow this slipped through the cracks. I worked near the Marketing team and watching them deal with the scandal was surprising. Most of them didn't take the scandal seriously, and didn't understand why it was offensive. Many were casually racist while dealing with the whole situation.

On top of the "Siouxper Drunk" scandal there were a LOT of clipart in the CustomInk library that I found extremely racist. And it's ultimately why I decided to start looking for other jobs. I think now they are more careful with what shirts they print, and took a lot of questionable clipart off the site, which is a step in the right direction.

10. Amazing

Former Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at CustomInk

Pros

Best. Job. Ever. The end.

Cons

None, please see paragraph above.

Great job if you enjoy ratting out coworkers

Former Employee - Production Artist
    Former Employee - Production Artist

I worked at CustomInk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid to work here, which is nice. You can then use that money to pay for an apartment or groceries, or buy something nice for yourself.

Cons

Ratting out your coworkers for their mistakes, and in effect literally taking money out of their paycheck and putting it into yours, creates an actively hostile work environment which I did not particularly enjoy.