www.creighton.edu

Updated 6 December, 2014
4.1

Rev. Timothy B. Lannon, SJ

I have been working at Creighton University

Pros

Great coworkers, great community feeling

Cons

lower pay than corporate jobs - normal for higher ed

Good mission, positive impact on society through higher education, aims high, value-wise. Catholic but not stuffy.

I have been working at Creighton University

Pros

There are some excellent people here. Helpful to a fault, devoted to the Univrrsity's mission. Many are alums, the children of alums, and are parents to alums, and donate to Creighton, too.

Cons

Managerial variety, and not in the positive sense. Some managers do not understand the managerial task of working through others; rather they see themselves as working managers, but end up not working or managing well. This is preventable though.

Silo mentality, replete with information hiding and chicanery (sic) with the org chart and budget. Nothing illegal, just no explanation for behavior. Sad.

To much independence at the corner office level without consideration for fiscal, budgetary or organizational impact of unilateral decisions. Mistaken for "leadership" when what's needed is a CEO with her/his head in the game.

Vacuum leads to meddling by some Board of Trustees members outside of their professional or personal competence. External evaluation, oversight, appointment and replacement of board members is needed.

A joint meeting of the Board of Trustees and the Faculty Senate to review faculty grievances would do a lot to clear the air.

Faculty, however, would do well to remember that students' familys, and alumni, pay a great deal for higher education. The issue is not so much intellectual freedom as use of money. There are ample internal controls, but no ability to say "No" to the grandiose projects of some Deans. Those resources could be better used elsewhere.

In 2014 there was $38 million in accumulated, deferred maintenance, typical for a 136 year old campus. Many new, wonderful facilities have been built for students. Faculty and especially staff are relegated to available space without rhyme or reason. Space planning and use are secretive processes.

Please read the above and respond with something other than a scripted Town Hall meeting. Listen with Jesus' ears and speak with Jesus' voice, an eminently Ignatian sentiment for all at a historically Catholic, Jesuit college.

Great place to work as they live the mission of the university.

Current Employee - Business Partner in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Business Partner in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Creighton University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, benefits and family atmosphere.

Cons

Not the higest wages; however the benefits are great.

Lead by example.

You'll never find better people to work with

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Creighton University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like I said, the best people, plus the values, the work ethic and the sheer student friendliness of the school

Cons

Can be too laid back sometimes

Expansion, expansion, the more programs that Creighton has, the better it would be for everyone who wishes to pursue higher education

Important Work but not Always Valued

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Creighton University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere with plenty of activities and events on campus.
    Tuition discount is excellent if not a little tight.
    I was able to get my start in the professional world and slowly gained more responsibilities as I earned the trust of my boss.

Cons

The pay is not fantastic.
    The benefits are mediocre which is a shame since there is a hospital, clinic, and dental school all on campus.
    Work we do is important and has potential for strong impact but is often seen as an afterthought to the current moment/life situation of employee or boss. I wish that professionalism was stressed more than it is.

Realize that every department at the University has the potential to have a huge impact - and hold them accountable for the decisions they make.

Eat, Study, and Working at Creigthon

Former Employee - Facilitities in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Facilitities in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Creighton University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here as a student provides resume experience while revolving work around your campus.

Cons

Facilities' hours are early and gruesome, hard to manage as a student.

Consider more of a work-student life balance

Love the People!

I worked at Creighton University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great. They are like family. Creighton does a lot for the employees with professional development opportunities, lunches, and opportunities to volunteer for causes. Great flexibility for work-life balance. The cost of insurance is less than others that I have had or seen.

Cons

This is education - do not expect to make a lot of money. If you want to park in the parking lots, you have to pay for parking. Only get paid once a month. It takes forever (it seems like) for change to happen within the organization. Silos between divisions which is frustrating to deal with.

Deal with the silos between divisions. Explain why you make the decisions you make. You will gain more support if you do. The staff - faculty division is getting larger. The staff support and often times do the work of faculty and upper management. Reward them for it.

Great students; extremely disorganized.

Former Employee - Instructor in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Creighton University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Loved the overall feel of the university; students and faculty were friendly and welcoming. The campus itself is beautiful in any season.

Cons

The office I worked in was extremely disorganized. It took over a week to get some sort of ID, and until that time, I had asked every day about someone helping me get my issue resolved. No one in my office seemed remotely aware of the fact that for my first two weeks of work, none of my forms were being pushed through and I wasn't given any extra help despite this. My entire experienced would be represented by those first two weeks. Constant disorganization.

Give people the resources they actually need when starting a new job in a timely manner.

It's a good place to start when it comes to interning

I have been working at Creighton University

Pros

friendly staff, always there to help, good training

Cons

There is nothing bad I have to say

Great school student job

I have been working at Creighton University

Pros

Easy on campus access. Flexible hours for a student schedule. Great people. interact with prospective students from all over the country.

Cons

Many students do not take their work study program seriously.

Creighton University Photos