Coupons.com

Updated Mar 18, 2014

Coupons.com President & CEO Steven R. Boal

Steven R. Boal

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great employees and culture, not so great management.

I have been working at Coupons.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people you work with are great. Everyone is very friendly and fun. Free lunch every day.

ConsManagement has their favorites and everyone else gets shown no appreciation and worked to the bone. High stress environment. Lots of politics and biases.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally.

Not a dynamic, interesting company

Marketing (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Coupons.com as a contractor

ProsFree lunch, drinks, and snacks
Good location for commuters
Pretty good pay

ConsCoupons has all of the trappings of a "hip" Silicon Valley environment: fridges filled with drinks, snacks galore, and catered (albeit pretty unhealthy) lunches. However, below the surface, it's a drab, lifeless place. Any idea you may get of this being a "fun" company is completely false; it's a sad cubicle farm with quiet, beaten-down employees. Lower management has an iron grip on their employees, often putting up roadblocks without giving any clear communication as to why. Though a lot of managers here are women, it's clear that they favor the men in the office, allowing them to push back more often when ideas aren't universally liked. Any new ideas that you enter the company with are quickly ignored in favor of doing things the way they've always been done. There is also little-to-no contact from HR or upper management if you need to voice concerns about your work environment.

If you're seeking stability, beware: this company's practice of hiring contractors is suspect. If you are entering in a contract role with the intent of converting, think long and hard if you want to be a contractor for a year or more. They started me on a nebulous 3-6 month contract, with the idea that I would be converted in about 2 months. That conversation never happened again; it's just more important that their bottom line looks good rather than if they treat their employees with respect by giving them full-time jobs with benefits.

If you're in your early, mid, or late twenties, don't waste your life here. There are much better places to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let lower management bully employees. Create a system with HR so that complaints can be heard and addressed before they get out of control. Innovate - your company depends on it!

Disappointing experience.

Marketing (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Coupons.com full-time for less than a year

ProsMany friendly, nice, competent employees. The company is on the cutting edge for digital coupons. Good website. Market growth has been strong. Good location for commuters.

ConsTop management seems to have little regard for employee future in the company. Top management, and HR, has little regard for inter-departmental issues. High turnover. Also, some department hiring practices are very racially biased.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR and management should take a sincere interest in lower, and mid-level, employee moral and issues. You may learn much from disgruntled employees who just quit out of frustration. No opinion about the CEO - he was inaccessible.

Great Place to Work!

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Coupons.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThe hard work pays off and is recognized by management. It's a collaborative environment and they hire the best of the best.

ConsMore vacation time would be great.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

Good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Coupons.com full-time for less than a year

Pros* Ability to work on interesting and challenging projects.
* Good work environment.
* Good work life balance.
* Free snacks, beverages, fruits, and catered lunch.
* Free physical activity sessions like yoga, kickboxing, etc.,
* My boss is very reasonable and understanding and knowledge and provides the right team culture to grow professionally. He is very technical as well.
* Managements lessons to the employees.

Cons* No gym.
* Only 2 weeks of paid vacation for the first 2 years.
* Maybe more salaries and bonuses.

Like no other. Free food, great benefits, and the best people!

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Coupons.com full-time for more than a year

ProsFree, catered lunches every day. Beer on Fridays. Weekly tech-talks and brown-bag learning sessions.
Some of the most brilliant minds, most from Yahoo and Intuit. Work from home and vacation policies are excellent. Spot bonuses are given for a job well-done.

ConsAside from the normal growing pains, there really are no complaints. There's room for advancement, and experience in many technologies is available if one is willing to learn.

Really Great Company

* Great Business Opportunity
* Strong Business Leadership
* Great Salaries
* Free Lunches & Snacks

The company overall has really made a strong impression on me. I really enjoy the work and the people and will remain committed to bringing greater excellence to the company in all of my professional contributions.

Cons* Nothing is perfect but coupons is really good all around

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Fast moving company, but cares less about employees

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Coupons.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Benefits, work is ok, if not monotonous

ConsMoves fast, but is shaky

slow to move considering its a startup

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Coupons.com full-time for more than a year

ProsHas some very good engineers, managers around. Has good work life balance. Free food is decent enough.

Consvery slow to get things done due to bad management in some departments. constant restructuring and down sizing doesn't help with job security.

Advice to Senior Managementdo not restructure every 6 months, retain good talent by giving better salary hikes and fire managers who are blockers for getting things done

Big Disappointment

I have been working at Coupons.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany has a good product, and is well positioned for growth where there is potential. Location is good, if you live on the peninsula. Free lunch and food every day is a nice perk. Benefits are good. Depending on the position and department you work it can be positive environment.

ConsRapid growth in it's first 2-3 years created arrogance in management, and the belief that the growth potential was a slam dunk. Coupons Inc is the market leader in the online printable coupon space, reach is broad, and thousands of sites have their white-label content. However, the company is still struggling with positioning and how to move to the next level. Their revenue is only sufficient to sustain a company of about 50 people. Big problems are on the horizon, therefore it's not a stable place of employment any longer. Nor, is it a place to learn or grow.

Management seems lost regarding what the next steps should be. There is no clear vision relayed to the employees. And, several layoffs were the result.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire new mid-level management in product development, and marketing with more creativity to drive innovation. Promote personnel in all departments based purely on results.

Worked for Coupons.com? Contribute to the Community!

Coupons.com – Why Work for Us?

Coupons.com Incorporated is the leader in digital coupons, including online printable, social, mobile and loyalty card promotions. The company is the driving force in transforming the multi-billion dollar coupon… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Coupons.com reviews and ratings in Mountain View, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Coupons.com CEO Steven R. Boal. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Coupons.com employees.