Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.8 1,154 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees(in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits(in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time(in 46 reviews)

1,154 Employee Reviews

Pretty decent overall

Marketing Representative (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsThey promote from with in, value hard work, and have good ethics - much better than they ever publicize. I learned a lot about their products (even after I left) which made me really have a lot of respect for what they do. Lots of great opportunities within the company as well.

ConsCan value seniority over performance sometimes, which is frustrating. I was in a sales position which was tough, but they did a lot to try to alleviate the stress it was causing me until I finally left.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoach your team leads and managers better, and show them how to properly coach their staff. The feedback was often useless or horrendous. Oh, and design a proper training for the cash people (membership) - ad-hoc training was not as useful as a proper introduction could be.

Great Company Values

Assistant F/E Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsThe companies internal values are amazing, Great pay for what the job is. Above average benefits. 90% of the co workers love their job. Great job for college students as they work around schooling schedules the best they can.

ConsHigh drive environment. Locational management can involve a lot of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepending on your location, some assistant whs managers and whs managers can be dismissive at best.

I work in a positive, safe, and lively environment filled with positive, informative, and kind people.

Front End Assistant (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsSunday premium: You get paid an extra $4/hour on Sundays.
    The people are amazing; they're kind and helpful.
    They are very flexible in terms of scheduling.
    The place is constantly busy, so there's always something for you to do.

ConsNone that I can think of.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pleasant Environment, Unfulfilling Work

Stocker (Current Employee) Scarborough, ON

ProsGreat environment, pays slightly better than other big box stores, good benefits and chances for moving up if you're happy doing the same work

ConsThe work is very routine and hectic

Good experience

Produce Stocker (Current Employee) Brampton, ON

Prosits a great company and lots of fun

ConsTakes a long time to move up. But keep talking to the right people and have the right attitude and work ethic and you can stand out

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Overrated company, good pay for retail but bad working environment

Front End Assistant (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsGood starting pay for a retail job, Sunday $4.00 per hour bonus premium on top of normal wage per hour is a great benefit for workers. Costco is a good company if you are looking at a career in the wholesale retailing industry with decent pay but you must become a permanent worker to benefit.

ConsManagement and some senior staff are extremely tough on "Seasonal" newcomers and they aren't treated with any respect and as "outsiders" to the company. The management doesn't always promote the hardest working "Seasonal" workers into permanent workers. For example, the main criteria to becoming a permanent worker at Costco is if your a student whose going to college or university and how many American Express cards and membership upgrades you can get for the company. The management doesn't communicate with the workers and when you are a "Seasonal" worker, they never tell you about your progress or your job future as your "Seasonal" term comes to an end. Some "Seasonal" workers must work 2 or 3 Seasonal terms before they can become permanent workers for Costco making it hard to get into the company permanently. The management culture at Costco is very political and there are way too many managers and supervisors in the warehouse making employee and management communication difficult. Costco is a very fast paced environment and you have to work very fast and be able to perform many physically demanding duties. The company emphasizes hiring way too many young people instead of hardworking experienced workers. When you are a "Seasonal" newcomer expect to get the worst shifts and work very late hours. The "Seasonal" system is faulty and hardworking workers after they past their initial 3 or 4 month probation should automatically become permanent workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management should communicate better with the workers.
    The "Seasonal" system should be abolished and workers should automatically have a chance at becoming permanent workers when they automatically pass their probations.

Great for the pay but it is a Man's Club

Membership Sales (Former Employee) Medicine Hat, AB

Proshourly rate is great
    benefits are fair
    free memberships
    good bonuses

Constend to promote men unless women don't have a family
    not willing to work around family schedule
    managers play favorites
    employee evaluations are unfair

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time with the employee before reviewing them without even working with them for a moment.
    try to work around parents schedules

It's a job, not somewhere I want to work for the rest of my life

Morning Stocker (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsPay is okay
    Works with school
    Sunday pay
    Some of the people are great compared to others
    -keeps you busy if you hate sitting around

ConsManagement needs work
    Always short staffed
    Coworkers are lifers and are too comfortable
    Lotsnof people hate their job

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people instead of workong coworkers to death when understaffed

- hire younger people
    Better communication with employees. Costco is based on "professionalism" but they lack at so many things

Money

Front End Cashier (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsAll raises are based on hours worked. They start off at a mere .50$ CAD but the last few before you top out at 23.85/hour are close to 2.00/hr. Base level managerial job starts at 63,000 CAD. Warehouse Assistants can earn up to 100,000 CAD with their salaries (don't forget stock bonuses). With over 600 locations worldwide Costco continues to prosper and treat their employees and the environment well. Warehouse Manager can bring in close to 400,000 CAD depending on their performance bonuses.

ConsIt is a long way to the top. The only limitation to your success at this corporation would be yourself. If you show desire they enjoy giving you a challenge. However, you can find yourself waiting a few years before a promotion.

awesome

Stocker (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsLoved the people, treated me well

Consthe hours are not family friendly

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!