Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.8 1,160 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees(in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits(in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time(in 46 reviews)

1,160 Employee Reviews

Good wages, but very demanding and fast-paced work environment.

Front End Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe wages are probably one of the highest in the retail industry. Raises are given out according to number of hours worked. On paper, Costco has one of the best HR policies and programs I have seen. It knows how to keep turnover at a minimum, whereas other retailers are struggling with their turnover rates.

ConsCan be a challenging and demanding work environment. It is very fast-paced and expectations are high. Managers and supervisors are under a lot of stress, which in turn translates to their front-line employees. I felt that a lot of the hard-working but quieter employees were looked over for more talkative and social employees for promotions. There was definitely favouritism at the warehouse I worked at in terms of promotions and better shifts. Policies were also not consistently applied across all employees.

Seasonal employment

Stocker (Former Employee) Kamloops, BC

ProsAwesome managers, great people to work with. Felt very comfortable from start. Fairly flexible with scheduling.

ConsStarting wage should be higher. Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time. Not sure, if ever you get full time anymore.

Stellar company, job itself is not all that great.

Membership Clerk (Current Employee)

Pros-Very competitive salary for retail, pay increases are calculated by hours worked
    -Majority of promotions are done from the inside - if a manager steps down, they will try to fill the position with an existing employee before recruiting outside of the company.
    -Very fair with granting days off, generous with vacation time as your seniority increases
    -Variety of experiences within one warehouse, from front end to security to the meat department, you can try a multitude of different things
    -Very fast in dealing with workplace problems (harassment, etc.)

Cons-The job itself is not very exciting or fulfilling
    -Management will occasionally treat its employees badly in favor of the member (customer), as the member is king

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far, so good.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Liars

Front End Cashier (Former Employee) Etobicoke, ON

Pros-Pay is the best in the retail industry,
    -They only promote from within.
    -Good Co-workers.

Cons-management lies. Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits.
    - Cashiers have to work at a certain pace, and are expected to sell a certain amount of BS credit card or upgrade in membership.
    -Some Managers are stuck up,
    -Promotions are hard to come by, either you have to kiss ass, or you have to move to another part of the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customers and employees

A customer oriented company which believes in providing the best to the customers.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsSatisfying wage and benefits, great management, free membership for employees and great products!

ConsLong working hours and intensive work

Advice to Senior Managementorganize on dividing up the work among the employees on shift

Good part time job during college years

Cashier (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsGood work conditions. great benefits

ConsNeed a lot of patience with customers

I enjoyed the variety of this job

Associate (Former Employee) Ajax, ON

ProsThey have a very competitive salary, there is career growth available if you can find a way to access. You get to perform at a variety of different positions which helps expand your experience.

ConsI didn't like the shift work , prior to becoming full time I even had split shifts. Wage increases were by hours worked instead of performance based. Employment reviews did not happen. Not a lot of feedback on performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct regular reviews with suggestions for advancement

High School Atmosphere

Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosdecent pay, can switch departments with ease

Conseveryone is in everyone else's business, lots of mirco-managing

Advice to Senior Managementloosen up!

Great place to work as a student

Merchandiser, Cashier, Sales (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsGet to eat free samples all you want as long as you are discrete about it. A lot of good looking women who shop there so that's another bonus. Decent starting wage. Great co-workers.

Cons-Raises are regular (every 6 months I believe) but are very low (.50 cents).
    -Management turnover rate is ridiculously high, a lot of managers/supervisors are unprofessional and not the brightest people.
    - Favoritism is predominant.
    -You have to work weekends.

Great summer job

Major's Assistant (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsNice paying summber job that requires no skills

ConsNot really anything to say, I know many would work at Costco for long time

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!