Corel

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Berquist

I grew in my profession working at Corel

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsVery talented and open minded front line people to work with, lots to learn from them.
    Advanced and efficient processes.
    Very good products with passionate users.
    Flexibility in work hours as long as work gets done.

ConsSome of the high level management has not proven strong leadership skills.
    People are often laid off on political reasons, overlooking the performance and importance of their role in the company. It can happen to anybody.
    Stressful environment to work in due to multiple layoffs, lack of trust in management and strategy and job uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the company growth, product quality and the employees.

Disappointing because it could be so much more.

Senior Web Producer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsPeople are friendly and the hours are flexible. Some managers let you work from home once or twice a week.

ConsCompany is short sighted. The focus is always on revenue for THAT quarter. Lack of employee development along with annual layoffs make it a difficult place to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider investing in your employees and keep salaries in line with inflation.

very challenging, exciting but very low company appreciation of its employees

ProsInteresting technology, amazing people to work with.

Conslow investment in research and development. company owned by investment firm, all the care about is profitability

Advice to Senior Managementshow interest in what the teams are doing, reward people for their work. reinvest in research and development.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People are great but . . .

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsThe best part of this company is the employees. A relaxed but professional environment combined with friendly staff makes going to work enjoyable. People, including middle management, are working hard, and everyone is treated with respect.

ConsThe worst thing about Corel is the VC ownership cloud hanging over it. The staff never knows when the next re-org is coming, so that ownership can take a little more money out of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a tough road ahead. Take the pulse of the worker bees more often. Keep being honest.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood place to start career

Consnot a lot of direction

Politics everywhere.

ProsGood amount of resources and some really talented people.

ConsPolitics (and a LOT of it)
    Constant layoffs
    Poor pay in regard to industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people more than the bottom line

Great products, wrong VC

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsBrilliant people across all teams, serving many great customers and been around for over 25 years.

ConsVC based, sucking up all the money and leaving nothing on the table for expansion or growth.

Good place

User Experience (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsIt was a co-op job. In my third year. Started off great, although I thought it was a little slow. But it was my first job in the field, so I'm sure they weren't expecting me to hit the ground running anyway.

ConsMy hiring manager got laid off. At the same, I was supposed to get a few terms out of it but because of the cutbacks, my contract was not renewed. (I was supposed to get a few terms out of it.)

Great place for someone to jumpstart their careers

Developer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsThe best thing about Corel are it's people. Due to downsizing, the ones left are true professionals with great flair. For a software corporation of its size, its scale of operations is quite extensive and this is all due to the quality of its employees.

If you are a junior to intermediate level person who wishes to grow, this is a great place as you will be working with world-class professionals with a can-do attitude to everything.

ConsVery little room for advancement. Management hold onto their positions tightly and keep their employees from evolving into leadership roles.

If you are a senior-level person, you will find it frustrating at the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain your high quality employees, you need to provide them opportunities for advancement.

Great place with an old product line

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsGood group of highly skilled people that enjoy their work and their products. Decent perks, work flexibility, and consistent perfromance recognition throughout.

ConsRecent history of investor purchase, delisting, relisting, delisting again. Very tight ship with little room or budget for innovation. Culture of "me too" products. High executive aversion to risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to foster more innovation at a low level. Create more turnover in the employees to bring in fresh experiences and skills.

Worked for Corel? Contribute to the Community!