ConAgra Foods

ConAgra Foods Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin

Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work-life balance and summer hours are the most positive point(in 27 reviews)

• Lots of different experiences with different teams, good pay, good chance of getting a job(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance largely depends upon your manager(in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee(in 10 reviews)

Close-knit culture, everyone is extremely helpful and friendly

Assistant Brand Manager (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

Pros- Mid-sized team with rockstar brands. For me this was the perfect balance because I was able to thrive in a close-knit culture but also have the visibility on working on household names.

Cons- I was there on co-op so I wish my term lasted more than 4 months! Aside from that, everything was a fantastic learning experience.

Deduction Analyst (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsThere is a Good team

ConsNo mentorship of new employees

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much politics

Great people, horrible management

Junior Accountant (Current Employee) Oakville, ON

ProsThe overall environment at the company is great. Has a small company feel. Young and energetic people to work around and get to know.

ConsVery slow process approval time, tight deadlines, which are hard to meet when upper-management delays meetings/approvals due to golf vacations.

No promotion/skill development. I held the job of junior staff accountant for
    4 years, with a tiny bump in my salary annually and the same work. Saw co-workers get frustrated after years of no salary improvements or promotions and leave.

Layoffs can happen at anytime, and production faults will be blamed on other departments to justify cuts. Be warned, if you are offered a position on a contract to perm basis, they WILL not give you a permanent job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating employee work, and give them a percentage of the perks you enjoy. Fed up!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unstrategic. Bully.

ProsPay is very strong and lot's of autonomy.

ConsPolitics are so thick that engagement is so low.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the politics and become miuch more strategic. Show respect for all functions. Then you will meet plan.

Awesome first job!

Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance, awesome management. Incredible benefits.

ConsThe overall company culture could be better.

A good company to work for

ProsOffers good benefits and relocation packages.

ConsLong hours and a lot of weekends if working in a plant.

Accounts Recievable

ProsLarge company, lots of opportunity

ConsEasy to get lost in the company

processor review

Processor (Current Employee)

Prosgreat place to work, good income, great boss and coworkers. increase pay fast during first year, duties are not hard or complicated

Consoften have lay off periods in which you may or may not be called back to work, sometimes work late or 6 days a week if production is up or you could only work a few days a week when production is down.

Advice to Senior Managementopen up plant duties to secure more contracts for the company,

Not What I Expected

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThe people in St. Louis are very knowledgeable about the Private Brands environment. I enjoyed working with almost everyone and learned a lot from the VP over the product line that I supported and his team.

ConsThe culture of the company (Ralcorp Holdings) prior to ConAgra's purchase was a built around silos. I expected changes after the ConAgra purchase but the silos still existed. Health insurance benefits favor the young and healthy worker. High premiums and deductibles. Sr. Management does not capitalize on the knowledge base that was in St. Louis when the company was purchased.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who understand Private Brands and heed their advice. Stop trying to manage Private Brands the way you do national brands -- they are not the same!

ConAgra could be a great company to work for.

Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe best things I liked about CAG was the overall culture, the commitment to diversity, and work life balance. The benefits were good.

ConsCompany cuts cost as a way to grow net revenue instead of trying to grow the topline. Marketing spending is cut all the time. Morale is low due to the continuous penny pinching initiatives such as taking away company provided cell phones.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on growing topline sales instead cutting costs every year.

Worked for ConAgra Foods? Contribute to the Community!