www.conagrafoods.com

Updated 19 November, 2014
3.1

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin
Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work life balance can be good depending on your manager (in 31 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone (in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, low job security

Former Employee - Key Account Manager
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good tools to get new business, supportive management, career guidance

Cons

Wall Street dictates the future of you job, our division was doing great and still had a massive restructure dictated by wall street where many hundreds lost their jobs. Also a move to more HR centered culture which changed the feel of the environment

Keep treating people well, eliminate those whose performance is sub par not just based on potential savings from salary being eliminated

Company review

I worked at ConAgra Foods

Pros

Good break time. Nice work environment

Cons

Rude supervisors. Management needs to compensate employees properly.

Show more care for employees

Excellent Team Dynamic

Current Employee - Financial Specialist III in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist III in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at ConAgra Foods as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very engaging work environment with opportunities to explore other aspects of the business. Constantly interacting with the different locations through WebEx.

Cons

Can be difficult working with other international components of the business.

Stressful Environment

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Mississauga, ON

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young energetic marketing and sales teams. Autonomy over projects.

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of accountability from managers and the communication/collaboration btw sales and marketing is broken. Overworked and underpaid.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow
    Lots to fix
    Great people

Cons

Lack of sound strategies
    Changes direction every two years
    Bad overall communication
    Reactive
    Continued downsizing

Manage for profit, not volume as 1st priority.

Current Employee - Deduction Analyst in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Deduction Analyst in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a Good team

Cons

No mentorship of new employees

Too much politics

Great people, horrible management

Current Employee - Junior Accountant in Oakville, ON
    Current Employee - Junior Accountant in Oakville, ON

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The overall environment at the company is great. Has a small company feel. Young and energetic people to work around and get to know.

Cons

Very slow process approval time, tight deadlines, which are hard to meet when upper-management delays meetings/approvals due to golf vacations.

No promotion/skill development. I held the job of junior staff accountant for
    4 years, with a tiny bump in my salary annually and the same work. Saw co-workers get frustrated after years of no salary improvements or promotions and leave.

Layoffs can happen at anytime, and production faults will be blamed on other departments to justify cuts. Be warned, if you are offered a position on a contract to perm basis, they WILL not give you a permanent job.

Start appreciating employee work, and give them a percentage of the perks you enjoy. Fed up!

Unstrategic. Bully.

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is very strong and lot's of autonomy.

Cons

Politics are so thick that engagement is so low.

Lose the politics and become miuch more strategic. Show respect for all functions. Then you will meet plan.

Close-knit culture, everyone is extremely helpful and friendly

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Mississauga, ON

I worked at ConAgra Foods as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Mid-sized team with rockstar brands. For me this was the perfect balance because I was able to thrive in a close-knit culture but also have the visibility on working on household names.

Cons

- I was there on co-op so I wish my term lasted more than 4 months! Aside from that, everything was a fantastic learning experience.

Great place to work as long as you can keep your mouth shut and stay off managements radar.

Former Employee - Production Assistant/Maintenance Mechanic in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Production employees on the floor are some of the best I have ever worked with. Safety is a top priority driven by the production employees. Everyone is always looking out for you to make sure you are working safely. Veterans are always willing to take the time to teach you new things as long as you are willing to learn. Clean facility, requires constant attention over the course of your shift. For the most part everyone helps contribute to this goal. I've heard stories about the corporate world and how they don't care about their employees. I never got that feeling working there. I worked as a production assistant for 6 years and loved it. Then took a position in maintenance (Against my better judgement) and it all went downhill from there.

Cons

12 Hour shifts, some like it some don't. Seniority rules so you will eventually get put on night shift. They allow you to accumulate vacation time, but it is next to impossible to use it. If you are unfortunate to get on an improvement team then you usually have to come in on your day off for meetings. Over managed, the left hand of management doesn't know what the right hand is doing most of the time. It's hard to talk to your boss because they change structure weekly and you can't keep track of who you report to. There are opportunities for advancement as long as you are willing to take the position that management wants you to do. Even if you are qualified and there is an opening, the manager of that department has to like you in order to be considered.

For the most part management will leave you alone if you are doing your job. But watch your back because if they have to throw you to the wolves to cover their mistake they won't hesitate. I developed a severe distrust over the last couple of years because I was coerced into taking a promotion (Against my better judgement) by promising me things they couldn't deliver like training and school. And then being stuck in that position because I was told I wasn't qualified for any other position in the plant. When an employee tells you they don't feel safe in their current position take the time to listen and consider their situation. That is if you care whether or not the person stays or leaves. I was told "management doesn't care if I quit" I didn't want to believe that was true. But I found out on my last day all of my fellow production employees went out of their way to wish me luck. But, none of the managers bothered to even say goodbye to me. I didn't want to quit, but didn't have a choice and I can't say I didn't give you the opportunity to keep me there.