Con Edison of New York

Updated 1 November, 2014
3.6

Con Edison of New York President & CEO John McAvoy
John McAvoy

Pros
  • Work life balance - depends on your department, but to be envied (in 8 reviews)

• Important work, opportunities to work in different areas, good benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • has left a lingering of mistrust which has never really been dealt with or acknowledged by upper management (in 6 reviews)

• Can have very little work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture

Former Employee - Engineering Aide in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Aide in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison of New York as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good management, encouraging and supportive people proud of their role in improving the lifestyle of community, moderate to low workload, great learning environment, people proud of they work they do for NY, flexible work arrangements

Cons

Low workload can also mean boring sometimes, bureaucracy/contractors hinder your pace, tensions between union and management, slow to accept new technologies that can improve workflow

Great stable work environment

Current Employee - Operating Supervisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Operating Supervisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison of New York full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good salary and decent benefits

Cons

Work is rated as dangerous safety is the number one concern

New computer software glitches should have in all ironed out prior to implementation

Used to be a great place to work but not so sure anymore…unless you’re an executive I suppose

I have been working at Con Edison of New York full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work and challenging projects with great importance and a tremendous impact on New Yorkers. Many talented and dedicated people working here that are impressive to watch when a crisis arises. Growth opportunity is Ok to the band 3 level but anything after that appears to be "Gold Associate Only" positions.

Cons

Recent changes/cuts in the management compensation packages and a locking out of their union work force has created turmoil amongst its employees. What appears to have been shady tactics, mistruths and flat out dishonesty during the rollout of “Total Rewards” has left a lingering of mistrust which has never really been dealt with or acknowledged by upper management. A company that once fostered a family environment now appears to be confused about its identity. Morale is low, many management employees are leaving and the experienced staff is diminishing. The only noticeable action taken by our executives to counteract this trend was to rollout a new management performance evaluation system which pretty much sent a message of “shut up, suck it up or you’ll be rated as a non-performer”. I have been here for many years and have always respected and appreciated ConEd for its free thinking and strong leadership but nowadays it’s hard to find anyone above a band 3 level that isn’t a yes man and that’s just sad.

If you truly want a stronger more united and effective leadership team then start promoting some people into upper management who actually did the job. The more diverse you try to become the more similar you are. Our executive team is pretty much comprised of nothing but left brain thinkers and while engineers are great at following directions we need stronger leaders.

Great company, endless opportunities!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison of New York (less than an year)

Pros

The training for this company was the best training I have ever gotten from any job, it is extensive in depth and very helpful. The company has so many opportunities for advancement and growth, the benefits are great, most managers and co workers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

It is challenging work since the call center is very busy, and the pressure of meeting company standards is high, but it is doable.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison of New York part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

None at this time

None at this time

Con Edison is a 'best kept secret' as a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant General Counsel in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant General Counsel in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison of New York full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Longevity (which translates to loyalty) to envy. Opportunity, office culture - gentile and generational. You can't get on an elevator without acknowledging your colleagues - how great is that? Work life balance - depends on your department, but to be envied.

Cons

understanding the utility industry and its relationship to oversight organizations

Continue on the road to work life balance - be forward thinking. Continue to listen and understand what your staff are looking for to produce great results for the company.

Positive work experience.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison of New York as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

People are very friendly and open to new employees even if they are contractors. Very positive experience. Very corporate and professional atmosphere without all the stress.

Cons

Difficult to transition from contract to full time employee.

Very positive experience with my supervisors.

Great way to make money if you are dumb.

Current Employee - Crew Chief in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Chief in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison of New York full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, steady work. 401k, corporate discount card. Paid training. If you don't steal, you will not get fired. lol

Cons

Abusive management, zero experience supervision. Invasive and distrustful company. Feels like they hate their union employees. You feel more like an inmate than an employee.

Promote workers who know the job to supervisory roles, instead of hiring 22 year old drones to supervise guys who have 15-40 years experience. stop spying.

Good company, not great for the ambitious

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Con Edison of New York

Pros

Important work, opportunities to work in different areas, good benefits

Cons

Disproportionate compensation, lack of opportunities to advance, red tape

Incentivize valuable talent to continue to perform and stick around

Interned in a company where no one had any idea what work to give me

Former Employee - Analyst Aide (Business) in Astoria, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst Aide (Business) in Astoria, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison of New York as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good. The work is simple

Cons

I came as an Accounting Major. They gave me an IT project. I received no support, and I once I completed it, no work was given to me. I had to pretend like I was working.