Comtech, LLC

Updated Apr 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shailendra Sharma

Has its strengths and weaknesses

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsComtech is pretty good at looking for opportunities to retain their talent. This is not always easy as the majority of employees are hired to work on government contracts. President willing to look at new business lines to help take company to next level. Benefits are good. Was impressed with health insurance in 2013. Met some very talented professionals during my time with the company.

ConsSales, business development and capture mediocre at best. Not all products the company advertises are ready to be backed up by the company when if the rubber were to hit the road. Contractors not really in touch with Corporate headquarters. Many contractors did not feel appreciated for their contributions. Majority of revenue came from a single contract, which has now ended. The company leadership believes that larger partners owe Comtech something. Perfect example was the shaky relationship with Verizon. Employees had to threaten to leave (even submit their resignation in many cases) to get a raise. Also, the non-compete clause in the employment agreement is ridiculous and needs to go. Has someone told them it's not enforceable. They can get rid of it and save a ton of money that is currently going to the lawyers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has come quite a ways over the last few years. The CEO himself has modified his outlook and expectations. I admire his openness to breaking new ground, especially since mid 2013. The company needs to be very careful how they market their new products. There have been situations in the past where a large potential partner sought a demo on one of the products and the company was not ready to deliver. The company also needs to improve upon how they discover and recognize talent. Some really great people have slipped through their fingers over the years.

I would recommend the company to others but would caution them to obtain a very clear understanding of the job they're being hired to perform - and the terms/conditions of employment - before signing anything. This was an issue for many employees who were held (via intimidation) from applying to other companies taking over a contract that was ending.

A final thought. I set the outlook over the next 6 months as neutral. However, if they play their cards correctly, the 12-month outlook could bring significant growth. Keep digging for those new business lines! Make sure the products are solid and deliverable before marketing!

Very short, unstable.

Technical Writer (Former Employee) Germantown, MD (US)

ProsInteresting technology, but cramped crowded offices.

ConsVery unstable government contractor. Lost funding from the Congress for project I was working on.

Adequate but technical leadership is lacking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent benefits package for contracting company. HR staff very responsive and helpful.

ConsUpper management is more concerned with the overall company bottom line than what is best for the employees when it comes to contract negotiations. Direct manager at customer location was not equipped to manage a diverse technical team. This shows a lacking in upper managements vision and awareness in regards to personnel.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't waste any of your time here.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsBenefits were good for the position.

Conseverything else except benefits were not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees!!

Poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe building had a nice deli in it, parking was free.

ConsNo organizational structure, management is terrible, no middle management - upper management all think they're "Vice Presidents"...expected to work on vacations and through illness, no accountability, basically a staffing company and the owner likes to micromanage everything.

A growing company.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThey have contracts with government agencies.

ConsThey are just staffing the job, not supporting the employee and their career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with those you send out as contractors. Provide support system. Meet with them frequently.

Growing Company and Incredible Opportunity

ProsComtech provides incredible opportunities to work with very senior clients on high-impact issues.
    There are many options to create/find your niche and take ownership/lead on a project with the wisdom and support of senior level management. Comtech treats their employees very well.

ConsIf you are looking to do the same thing day in and day out this is probably not the best fit for you.

Innovative Solutions and Friendly Colleagues

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA (US)

ProsIt's a small company, so you'll wear several hats. The advantage here is that you will have the opportunity to build your skills and diversify your value-add. There are several projects here that have long-life and high levels of customer praise. The company is growing and putting revenue toward building and maintaining measureable processes.

ConsIn staying agile, salaries tend to be on the low end. There's also more to do here, and if you allow it your work/life balance can be diminished.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaying people what they're worth at the start of employment, and rewarding a little annually without breaking the bank, is a good way to boost retention rates.

Nice Friendly Company - they treat people well

Project Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsA great place if you like the excitement of trying different things. There is always something new to learn. The pay is good but they are not going to give you any extra money. In all other respects they are very good to their employees

ConsIf don't like change or if you want to do the same thing day in and day out this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the people out there on projects rather than HQ.

New to the workforce and really enjoying this job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA (US)

ProsAs someone not only new to the company but new to the workforce I was more than pleased with the salary I was offered, and thrilled with the generous benefits package- something anyone entering the workforce can tell you is FAR from guaranteed anymore. The facilities are wonderful and the free and easy-access parking is a plus. What really has been a surprise and delight for me is that they truly value and believe in the talent of all of their employees, including newcomers. Despite being new, and despite being young, I was immediately considered valuable with ideas and expertise to contribute rather than being ignored or simply told what to do and given the less desirable tasks. I have received plenty of encouragement to contribute, share ideas, and pursue my interests and talents within the company. I see many opportunities for personal and professional growth in my future with this company.

ConsAs an small organization that is experiencing tremendous growth and constantly looking into new ideas and technologies there is significant internal change and occasionally seeming disorganization. However it has become an internal priority to ensure that all these problems and concerns are rectified.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working to establish processes and procedures, even while encouraging progress and new ideas, people do thrive when they have structure to start from.

Worked for Comtech, LLC? Contribute to the Community!