Community Health Plan of Washington

Updated 17 November, 2014
2.9

Lance Hunsinger

CHPW

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommuting. The company has many perks and great benefits. Fun environment. My co-workers are amazing. An overall food place to work.

Cons

Management could have more of an open door policy. Some employees are allowed to slack off on their job duties, even though it affects other's jobs.

Be more proactive in communicating with the worker bees.

Great place to gain experience - long term stability probably an issue

Former Employee - N/A in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - N/A in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

"CHPW" as it's affectionately referred to, has an excellent mission. To provide affordable health coverage to the under-privileged and under-served. It does feel good to know that you're working towards helping others who have minimal means to help themselves.

In addition, due to the high turn over, it provides internal employees with opportunities (due to frequent job openings) to move around the company and gain experience with multiple aspects of the health insurance business.

If you get a great manager, it can be a great place to work.

Their benefits are VERY VERY good (or at least they were 3 years ago). Health insurance is dirt cheap, and a good amount of vacation time is given, which expands by a day a year (up to a particular max).

Cons

Unfortunately, the "mission" and job openings are pretty much the only part of working for CHPW that would provide you with satisfaction in your day to day workings.

As mentioned in the "Pros" section, this company has a HIGH turn over rate. No... I don't mean high... I mean HIGH. At one point, over a period of years, I had actually worked for 6 different managers in the first department I worked in. Later, after moving to another department, in the few years I worked there, I worked for at LEAST 7 different managers. This is due to upper management constantly changing their methods of achieving their goals. "Oh, this didn't work... let's try something else", which usually turns into hiring another or different manager.

Additionally, both the employees and management know and acknowledge that this is a 1 star plan (in comparison to their competitors). This means that if you've been there long enough, your backside is probably raw from scraping the bottom of the barrel for so long. Every other month (when I worked there), there would be meetings about what the business was doing to improve their insurance ratings. Many of these suggestions were actually quite good, but the long term commitment from top level management just isn't there. As soon as they realized that their "new way" of doing things interferes with existing broken processes, they quietly begin ignoring their previous mandates, and drift right back to the "old way" of doing things.

Lastly, executive and "C" level management treats this business as their retirement swan song. They are hanging out until it's time to retire, with very little interest in keeping the business more than "just afloat" long term. Many new people in the executive staff seem to have great ideas to begin with, but all seem to fall victim to the same fate of not fighting against the current.

Keep in mind that I haven't worked for CHPW in over 3 years, so my personal experience with these things ended in 2011, however, I still regularly meet with employees who still work there, and little to nothing has changed since I left (no surprise there...).

There are supervisors doing the jobs of managers, directors doing management work, and top level management that is seemingly completely mentally isolated from the remainder of the company.

Additionally, independence from the "network" (Community Health Centers) should also be a top priority. CHPW was initially created by the centers, to help funnel patients into their clinics. The biggest issues with this is that the "network" isn't efficient and open enough to actually help the customers that they have creating unacceptable delays in people being seen with their providers (sometimes weeks). A LARGE expansion of their network would do more to help the customers they serve more than a new boardroom makeover with ridiculously colored chairs a couple short years after it was just built-out. In fact, this last sentence sums up a LOT of issues with CHP. They spend money on things that don't require it, and completely neglect the areas that are dragging down the business.

Fix this, and you will fix the business.

Great Mission, that's about all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company's mission and values are wonderful and generally drive people to the company and keep them there against their better judgment. At the end of the day, however, the mission and values are merely meaningless words not even practiced within the walls of the corporate office.

Cons

An out-of-touch executive leadership team that is happy to quietly cash their paychecks and avoid any sort of accountability, innovation, or corporate or cultural politics. Poorly led management that has no direction from leadership and no value for low-level employees, who generally are doing the majority of the work. There's no growth opportunities or autonomy at any level.

I've lost hope that anyone with any clout there will do anything to change the meandering leadership or the dismal employee engagement. The majority of the leadership team, directors, and mid-management need to be replaced. The lack of accountability, autonomy, and communication has left the company in complete and utter disrepair.

Great Mission, Great People

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Work-live balance is great with flexible hours, significant PTO, and community service benefit (40 hours per year). Opportunity to drive your own career (no national office that oversees or mandidates everything you do). Colleagues who enjoy each other as professionals and friends. Great downtown location.

Cons

Not having a national office means there are no mandidates or corporate policies. As a result, CHPW must invent the wheel itself. If you need more structure or don't like challenge, you won't enjoy working here.

Communicate challenges, solicite feedback and input regarding challenges, recognize hard work, and celebrate success.

A lovely little fixer upper

Former Employee - PROVIDER Services in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - PROVIDER Services in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People here are truly passionate about the mission and values of the company. They never forget that they're bringing healthcare to underserved communities, and they feel the responsibility to take care of their members. They're open to new ideas about better ways to do things, even from someone new or low level. They encourage you in learning and growth opportunities.

Cons

They've had high turn over across the company for a long time, so nothing is very consistent long term. There is still clean up happening from people setting up a system 7 years and leaving, and that system has been abandoned and forgotten for 3 years. If you don't mind doing a little research and getting your hands dirty, this means there's great opportunity to keep busy and problem solve. It can also be extremely frustrating though, and add some extra steps to any project as you sift through old files in an attempt to get the information you need.

Also, upper management is largely out of touch with what is actually going on at the lower levels.

Listen to the staffing needs from low and mid level employees. They're not unmotivated. Many are doing the jobs of multiple people.

Great

Current Employee - Assistant Controller in Sea Cliff, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Controller in Sea Cliff, NY (US)

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-the enviroment
    -great co-workers
    -wonderful staff
    -office culture
    -training

Cons

the pay, promotions, benefits, policies,leadership

Great management

Great environment for Work!

Former Employee - Reporting Business Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Reporting Business Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, employees are friendly, work life balance really well, great benefits

Cons

changes occur slowly, office culture is good

Great Experience

Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Work hours were a bit flexible. Great culture. People are nice. Compensation is mid-range.

Cons

Pay is okay, mid-range. Sometimes a bit low, depends on the job title.

Going downhill very fast and selling out hard working and committed employees

Former Employee - Medical Management in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Medical Management in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great company at one time. Telecommuting and transportation subsidy.

Cons

CHPW just sold their entire medical management team to Health Integrated. This has resulted in the previous 6% 401K match being reduced to 1% match for 67 dedicated and committed people. Prior to the transition, the employees were threatened by administration and the executive team that if they did not have a "good attitude" they would be terminated. This was a good company, now it is a very sick and unhealthy company! My advice would be to stay away from this sinking ship. This company no longer values their employees. I would suspect that within a year or so, it will be bought out/taken over by a larger "big fish" insurance company. Or the stakeholders including the clinics and board of directors, Healthcare Authority, Washington State Insurance Commissioner and NCQA will drive it out of business.

If you do not treat your hard working, long term committed employees well, then there is no doubt; you will not treat your health insurance members and patients any better. Example, if I ride up the elevator with the CEO once or twice a week for nearly three years and we exchange small chit-chat each time, we have established a working relationship. I basically want good for him and the company, as I am vested in this company and given them a portion of my life on this earth. Likewise, I thought he would want the same for those in his employ. That is not the case. Management is doing some very cagey and dishonest activities.

It really was a good company for a time.

....then something went wrong and they sold out their staff. Management should be ashamed of how they have treated their employees and their attempt to mislead staff into believing they have no option but to make the transition. Should anyone of these single mother employees decide they can not make the hour long extended commute to Lynnwood due to family and childcare obligations. Administration including Jane Daughenbaugh and CEO Lance has told the employees that they will not qualify for unemployment as CHPW will cite their unwillingness to transfer up north as insubordination and misconduct. Mr. Lance knows he is lying in this case and is deliberately misleading his former employees. He knows that a run on unemployment of nearly 30 - 40 people could be the very action that topples CHPW. So, he is blatantly lying to his previous hard working and committed employees. Unless, they have a significant change in management, it is only a matter of time until the great CHPW company that was.........falls.

Meh

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance and benefits. Compensation is mid-range, higher than some places, lower than others. People are nice. A good stopping place on your way to someplace else.

Cons

No real leadership. Decisions are made by committee to avoid individual accountability. Increased competition in the Medicaid marketplace is turning this into a serious liability.

I would give you advice, but I don't think you are capable of change.