Coldwell Banker

Updated 23 October, 2014
3.9

Coldwell Banker President and Chief Executive Officer Budge Huskey
Budge Huskey

Pros
  • Name recognition, a good starting point (in 14 reviews)

• Formal training program on the in's and out's of real estate a good knowledge basis (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The commission split is low compared to other brokerages (in 19 reviews)

• Unpaid, no benefits and you pay for your own advertising resources (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of opportunity to learn

Current Employee - Sales Person in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Coldwell Banker

Pros

- Office Manager is always willing to help
    -Lots of training programs for new agents in the company
    -recognition for sales acheivments through awards
    -website at discounted cost

Overall the support staff and the office management are quite good. The office manager is always willing to sit and speak with you on ways to improve your business

Cons

-commission splits could be a little better
    -offices are expensive to rent
    -preference given to agents that make lots of money
    -little guys get few referals from company

This is a sales job so advancement is based really on how much money you make yourself. If you want a Broker license you have to go and get it yourself as in any company. Its a large company and at times you can fee quite small.

There should be a way for the little guys like me (less than 100k per year) to get better leads from the company.

Good company, but not unlike the others.

Former Employee - Real Estate Broker in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Real Estate Broker in Toronto, ON

I worked at Coldwell Banker

Pros

Coldwell banker is an International Brand which can be a great asset to those who work with relocations. They provide some great tools and resources for non technical people. If you are tech savvy, you will want to do your own thing, as you can create your own brand and make it look a little more professional than the standard templates offered. While there are guiding principals from head office, many of the brokerages are independently owned which means no two are the same. Like any other industry, you'll want to interview a few different companies (brokers) to ensure you end up with one that suites your needs. Some are well suited to support new entrants in to the industry while others do not provide much hand holding and are geared towards those with experience.

Cons

Flow of communication. It's really an industry problem because people within the same office view each other as competitors. Unfortunately there is very little team work in this industry.

Encourage more internal team work.

Progressive real estate company is a good place for IT workers.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Victoria, BC
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Coldwell Banker

Pros

The industry is dong things that are very interesting with information technology - trying to stay ahead of the moving target. Coldwell Banker is putting a lot of resources into this, as they should, trying to anticipate where the world will be in the future so it arrives there at the same time. Good location for someone interested in where IT is going.

Cons

Too focused on American market.

Build flexible pieces that any one can use to create their own services, rather than the one size fits all we'll do it all for you approach.

love it

I have been working at Coldwell Banker full-time

Pros

great atmosphere to work in

Cons

commission only and some times its hard to make a sale

This is a very professional and successful real estate brokerage in Long Beach, Ca

Current Employee - Real Estate Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Real Estate Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Coldwell Banker part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The management team is very professional and always demonstrates sincere caring about the welfare of their employees and agents. It is a positive and fun environment to work in. The team environment helps everyone to achieve their individual goals. The focus of the company is to render excellence in service to their clients and sales associates.

Cons

There are really no cons to speak of as this firm is very well run.

Keep doing what you are doing because it is working.

Coldwell Banker is by FAR the BEST POSSIBLE CHOICE to work for in the Real Estate Industry

Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Appleton, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Appleton, WI (US)

I have been working at Coldwell Banker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Where do I start... Their Customer Service Department answering all calls makes sure that they don't go to voice-mail during business hours ever... They work until 7:00 every night and are there Saturdays and Sundays! The Technical Support is top notch, so I don't have to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out formatting for posting and such, this frees me up to work on things that are productive. We have weekly meetings to stay current on real estate and mortgage laws. If an agent does something here, and it works; all of the agents start doing it. They don't keep the successful strategies a secret, because they want us ALL to succeed. This was kind of a shock when I first got here. I couldn't believe all of the things that they taught me to do. I started out at a small company and the Broker there was a "competing broker", (as 99% of real estate brokerages are structured), so I received ZERO training and not a lot of support because they were too busy; also I always felt that I was competing with them and with all of the other agents. I would run up to the copier to grab the copies that I had printed off (that I had to pay for), so noone would see anything I was doing, because it was Every Man For Himself. At Coldwell Banker, we have Managing Brokers that do not compete, so they are working Right Along Side Of You ALWAYS. I never feel like I have to face any challenges alone. I don't have to pay for copies and I have left documents on the copier for hours because NOONE here would ever step on the toes of another agent. Their number one priority is HELPING AGENTS and TRAINING. I have been at this for over a decade and it wasn't until I joined Coldwell Banker that I really knew HOW TO BE AN AGENT! I was blowing in the wind and didn't even know it. I owe at least Half of my Success and Income to Coldwell Banker. I would not be where I was financially if it wasn't for their amazing Training, Support and Opportunities. I am also blown away by my broker. She is one of the smartest women that I have ever met, she is kind, patient and sets a high standard when it comes to Ethics and Integrity. I could go on and on, but I won't bore you with the Company Picnics, Awards Gala, and Charity Events that support our local communities, because they all deserve more than I have time to write. If given a choice between Coldwell Banker and ANY OTHER Company in the Nation, I would pick Coldwell Banker, EVERY TIME!

Cons

None, I am VERY VERY Happy here. I will work another 20 years and never leave, because I have been at other companies, and frankly coming here was like finally exhaling after so many years or struggling and wondering why I was not selling more. I now feel secure about my future.

None. The proof is in the pudding. It is why they are so Successful Nationally and Internationally!

You Get What You Put In

Current Employee - Realtor in Columbus, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Realtor in Columbus, GA (US)

I have been working at Coldwell Banker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love that you get to set your own schedule, you get compensated based on the work put in

Cons

Fees are very high compared to other competitors

Atmosphere is not very welcoming, everyone sees each other as competition

Would not recommend until changes are made

Current Employee - Property Manager in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I have been working at Coldwell Banker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredible benefits, average compensation package, Lots of support staff, Nice offices, Great name to build business from

Cons

Complete lack of training, Regional management is awful, Compensation should be higher, Too many chiefs and not enough indians

Get rid of regional executives and start fresh, this company cannot continue with the current leadership as it is being run into the ground

Good name recognition, top-notch training, and experienced Realtors make this a great Brokerage to work for.

Current Employee - Realtor in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Realtor in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at Coldwell Banker part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exemplary Training, great website, and Brand recognition are a few of the perks offered at Coldwell Banker.

Cons

As an Independent Contractor, your need to be ambitious to succeed. Commission only positions can be challenging when slow market conditions exist. Finding business in the beginning can be very challenging. Being in an Realtor requires some money time and during the learning curve.

Broker

Current Employee - Real Estate Broker in Duvall, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Real Estate Broker in Duvall, WA (US)

I have been working at Coldwell Banker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of training and supportive colleagues.

Cons

1099 employee, its the same as running your own business..

Stay up with technology.