Clifford Chance US

Clifford Chance US Reviews

3.3

Clifford Chance US Managing Partner Craig Medwick
Craig Medwick

Excellent experience. Great people to work with.

I worked at Clifford Chance US as a contractor

Pros

Hands on work with associates and partners. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful.

Cons

Not a lot of work during the summer months

Good overall though ridiculous hours

Current Employee - Summer Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Clifford Chance US as an intern for less than a year

Pros

International Scope of Work good

Cons

People kind of suck and are arrogant

Show a little more concern for your employees

Good experience but not for longterm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

Good experience, learn new skills

Cons

No work life balance but that is expected

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible international experience

Former Employee - Associate (Mid-level to Senior)  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Associate (Mid-level to Senior) in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Clifford Chance US

Pros

If you want to travel the world doing international work, this is the firm for you. It truly is an integrated global platform where attorneys around the world work together on client relationships. This is not so at US based biglaw firms. You will sleep with your blackberry under your pillow in order to respond to emails from China, but you will be involved in cutting edge work.

The attorneys are not only smart, but worldly and and interesting too.

Cons

The massive lay-offs in 2008 destroyed morale. They seemed to be completely random and attorneys were scratching their heads as to why certain associates were spared. On top of this, US litigation partners took off in droves. With the lay-offs and partner departures, US litigation department shrank from approx 90 attorneys to a skeleton crew of approx 5 (they are now trying to rebuild). During all of this, US management continued to call associate meetings to reassure associates that everything was fine and the future looked great.

Do not go here for pure litigation experience. You will not get any experience. You will only draft briefs. But the investigations group (in DC), which is part of litigation, is great. NY and DC work together on investigations, which are conducted around the world.

Great benefits

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

Profit sharing - 401K - 28 days a year of vacation and personal time for business services - Nice people to work with

Cons

The layoffs were really hard on this company. There were so many business service people laid off who worked for the company for over 20 year that it seemed as with the lay off the soul of the company left too.

I think management is doing there best to keep Clifford Chance as close to as Rogers and Wells use to be.

Job Insecurity while Maintaining Employment

Current Employee - Administrative  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

The pay is in the median range for other law firms of this size. Profit sharing is good. Vacation time generous. Management willing to be flexible with scheduling.

Cons

The firm has gone through multiple rounds of layoffs and nobody is ever quite certain there won't be another one. No recognition for a job well done but this may be an industry standard. Firm has cut back so much financially in an effort to boost partner bonuses that the environment is negative. Holiday parties are minimal. Annual bonuses are stagnant. Pay increases were frozen for a year, then we were given a small percentage the following year. Workload is oppressive at times since so many people were let go. This Firm has a history of managment sticking their heads in the sand in an effort to keep their vulnerable jobs. (Out of sight, out of mind I guess.)

Don't just smile and nod your head when an employee has a valid complaint and seeks resolution. The problems will not go away by ignoring them and you're just making your loyal employees feel unappreciated. And yes, financial compensation goes a long way to prove how appreciative you are since the words are rarely spoken.

Typical law firm

Current Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

Good compensation, somewhat interesting work

Cons

Constant layoffs and partner upheaval. Firm management is not transparent at all. London impacts all of New York's managing decisions

Talk more to associates and actually explain firm developments.

There are very few if any benefits to work for Clifford Chance US if you are in any support services roles.

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

I was able to develop my skills so I can now find a job where they value my contributions.

Cons

I work in IT and have seen this firm decimated since the Roger Wells merger with Clifford. Every year for the last seven has seen more and more lay offs. After the AMP abdicated power to a London transplant for a COO things have escalated down hill. The London management team continue to communicate and demonstrate their disdain for the US. London refuses to recognize the talent of any staff member that works outside of London. They only hire Directors who are weak then so their is no open discussion or push-back on their decisions -- I'm not even sure our Director knows the difference between a SAN and a fan. Their style of management benefits the weak and underperforming. On the attorney side they drove off all the rain-makers and have been unable to attract any solid laterals. They bled their talent and the only ones left are those that can't find a job any where else.

Respect and value the contributions of all your employees.

A mega sized company that doesn't really keep track of all its smaller parts.

Current Employee - Legal Assistant.  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant. in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

An extremely large company with offices in many countries giving some the opportunity to work in other countries. There are many levels of competency so that individuals in the larger offices can "climb the corporate ladder."

Cons

They are too large and have lost track of their support staff and how they can contribute to the overall health and wealth of of the company. While always asking for input, the ideas put forth by the staff never seen to come to fruition.

Remember that the company is only as good as its weakest link. Listen to what the individuals have to say and try and answer their concerns in a complete way.

Worked for Clifford Chance US? Contribute to the Community!