Clear Channel

Clear Channel Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman

Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 13 reviews)

• lots of good people at my job place (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 21 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing/Promotions Intern

Marketing/Promotions Intern (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsI enjoyed getting to sit in meetings and discuss ideas for promotions, etc.

ConsIt was sometimes the "fetch my coffee" type of internship, and I spent a lot of time doing work like cleaning out closets, etc. Internship also unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude interns in brainstorming sessions more!

Great place to work and meet new and exciting people

Web/Promotion Assistant (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA (US)

ProsMedia, Music, Marketing, Graphic Design

Conscompensation, there is a great lack of pay for the promotion, job clarity

Advice to Senior Managementcompensation

Micro management to excess. Failure to retain employees because of time consumption in the office.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Panama City Beach, FL (US)

Prostraining, company benefits, perks, unique creative group, reputation of stations

Consnegative atmosphere with constant need to breakdown staff to try to make them feel like they could never succeed anywhere else

Advice to Senior Managementlet your people do their jobs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsGreat contacts and they held a lot beneficial events.

Cons"Cheap Channel" they pay low. It is up to your sales to recover what they pay. I have done a lot better with other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better! More incentives.

Fun Ride If You Adapt

Project Lead (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsReinventing a company this size isn't an easy task. I've seen some major changes in staffing in my area as well as major vision changes in a short amount of time. In my opinion, it is amazing it has been as great as it is. The company is so huge...so large, and tries to move like it's so small. Seems to work because there are so many talented project managers and respectful leadership. Everyone seems extremely respectful with each other. Great environment!

Bob Pittman is a great man.

If you love challenges, there's plenty of challenges to encounter here.

ConsAlthough dedicated, some developers/system engineers can seem a bit mediocre at the times. The superb often find new jobs working with startup companies. Perhaps this works well in a company as large as this one, where the low level workers are effective being mediocre with superb leadership making it sustainable.

With the amount, and the way layoffs happen - I feel like I can be let go just as I finish typing this. Maybe this is expected when there is a lot of change going on.

If you're afraid of change - stay away from this company at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire more female employees, seems a bit imbalanced - biased?

Worst Company Ever

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsThe people at this company are great.

ConsEverything really. This is the cheapest company on earth, very bare bones. No mileage expense, no expense account, no nothing. All commission is horrible and leads to high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on successful merchant campaigns --- if a radio campaign works they'll come back, if not, they won't.

For whatever reason this never crosses anyone's mind and it's an absolute afterthought.

Explain to the DJ's that they don't get paid without the sales team. Stop being so difficult and help the merchants that are paying your paycheck succeed in their campaign.

Over promise and under deliver

Account Executive (Current Employee) Burbank, CA (US)

ProsThey have so many assets to sell. There's something for every client which makes a sales job seem much easier. Having iHeartRadio is a huge asset as many people don't know the name "Clear Channel." They give 2 weeks paid vacation, sick days, medical/dental/eye benefits, 401k, and life insurance.

ConsNo flexibility in schedule. There is zero, i repeat ZERO, training. I know sales. I don't need to be trained in sales. But they promised the best training for a month before I hit the phones/streets, a guarantee before the draw kicks in, a mentor, and an independent workplace. I got NONE of that. In fact, I'm micromanaged. How can you micromanage an entrepreneurial position?

I was also denied training on many occasions and cannot expense anything besides mileage without permission first.

Many times I cannot attend my own company events and when I do, I get the worst seats in the house. They treat employees poorly which hinders employee moral. Managers clearly have their favorites and alienate and humiliate employees they no longer want on their teams until they resign or get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick out the bad apples in management. They are hurting your bottom line and you're losing talented AE's. Also, you're losing business and straining client relationships as a result.

bad management

Manager (Former Employee)

Proslots of good people at my job place.

Consupper management. Managers not from or in your market making blanket decisions that negatively effect your success.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on sales and how to increase numbers there. Stop pretending you know what you are doing. Let the local stations and managers make decisions.

Loans are due, so employees must be let go. Doesn't matter how hard they work.

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAbility to be creative. Good Co-workers. Sometimes enough money to complete a project

ConsPeople are laid off like a bodily function. Chaotic management. Some people work hard, some have friends in higher places.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to figure out a profitable business plan for each division. Learn what people do before you lay them off

Top flight company for products and processes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsReally smart, committed people in some key positions. Key clients and major agencies were part of the everyday sales process. Best in class company from competitive point of view.

ConsConsistent bad hiring in management positions caused constant turmoil. Company consistently' reached' on the perceived abilities of managers and this caused friction and hard feelings regards the employees individuals managed. Turnover was rampant during this time- no experience was left in the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to stabilize your management and you will have a more stable and productive rank and file.

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!