Claire's Stores

Updated 29 January, 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely appalling! Appalling treatment of staff

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount but the products are cheap and nasty

Cons

Expected to drop everything to work extra hours, extremely difficult to get any time off, days off change at a few hours notice, dress to sell is gross - socks I had to wear for Christmas went back out to customers, extremely unhygienic and revolting. Training isn't sufficent. Appalling attitude towards staff.

Get your act together, this is the 21st century and staff are treated with no respect whatsoever, I was bullied and victimised in the work place and left very stressed and upset.

Started as good company became worse after 2011

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pretty okay medical, good employee discounts, meet lot of different people and fun to be around the kids.

Cons

They care nothing about there employees that been with the company for years. They overly pressure you, and the pay is horrible for what they expect from you. The raises are horrible 25 cents or less every year. They hire outside of company instead of giving those who have worked for the company for years a higher position

Learn to develop your employees who been with the company for year's instead of treating them like crapm

Awful

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Cute merchandise great discount, helping people

Cons

Regional manager sucks, not enough hours for what is expected of the company, they don't have the best ear piercing station

Stop treating employees like animals

ok

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, KY (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

50% discount
    if you like piercings then piercings others is fun

Cons

work long hours alone
    company breaks state law and dosent give breaks to people who work 8 hours every day

Love the customers and the discount

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the customers is the greatest part of this job. Watching the little ones smile after they get their ears pierced or an adult so excited that they found the perfect item to go with their outfit. The discount is amazing.

Cons

Work-life balance is very lacking here. Upper management yells at the employees on the floor in front of customers and never praised you for what you did right just criticized you for what you didn't do. Never taking into consideration that there are not enough hours to bring in additional people with the work load you have. The POG was ridiculous! 4 hours and 3 people to complete an entire wall shift is not enough.

Get in the stores and work them do not assume that our employees are not doing anything. If the DM's wold be more involved then just coming to the store once every 6 months they might see the economic shifts that are causing decreases. And if you build your team up instead of tearing them down, dropping morale into the toilet, you might see better results as well. Lastly you should make sure that all policies and procedures are followed uniformly instead of just when you feel like it.

Good for developing experience

Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun products and good employee discount. I had so many responsibilities in this job that it helped me in getting an even better position in another company with a higher pay.

Cons

Upper management is extremely critical. If you're hired as a 3rd key you have all the manager's responsibilities but none of the benefits. It's also hard to move up in the company. There is also a lot of theft so you have to do loss prevention as well. It was quite stressful working there but the real reason I left was because it didn't matter how hard I worked it never was appreciated by upper management.

Be more generous with your employees and offer them a better bonus. Also, it kills morale when the DM leaves angry voice mails for the entire district. If 8 out of 10 stores didn't pass their secret shops do you really think that leaving everyone a mean voicemail is going to inspire them to do better? If you treat your employees as equals rather than lording it over them you will probably have better output from them.

First Retail Experience

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a small store, so it is easy to become familiar with all the products. The ear piercing was fun to do once I got over being nervous about the selling aspect of it. My manager worked with my school schedule really well and my hours were always good.

Cons

Not enough employees if you need to take a day off or switch with someone. There was a period of time where our district manager made us stay open 15 minutes later every night because the company wasn't doing well.

You shouldn't put all the blame on your employees, if the company is struggling then figure it out yourselves.

Fun, exciting place to work where you can learn a lot.

Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of young professionals that are excited about fashion and driving a business. Buyer level compensation is fair, assistant buyer compensation is lower than other retailers. As a buyer you travel frequently to New York and Asia (this can be a pro and a con depending on how you look at it).

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement for associate and buyer level. Only three director level jobs (career path for experienced buyer) and they are usually hired from outside of the company. Hard to create change within the organization.

Fun place to work but very low pay!

Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

50% employee discount, great co-workers, piercing ears was always fun

Cons

Typically work alone in the store, meaning it was hard to get in a bathroom break if store was busy.
    POG - horrible!!! I hated planograms, not enough time to complete especially in between ringing up customers & piercing ears
    Very low pay!

I loved my job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to pierce, easy to get promoted, easy to transfer within the system. You get a lot of hours because of the small staff, pays pretty poorly though - not meant to be a career, meant to be a job on the side.

Cons

Really pushy for up-selling, constantly getting the message that your store isn't doing well enough. There's a lot of work that though easy, becomes tedious because it takes so long since there's so much of it to do.

Take some of the blame sometimes - you always blame everything on the employees. You aren't perfect. Nobody is.

Claire's Stores Photos