Claire's Stores

Updated 11 September, 2014
2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a fun job with a great discount and fun environment, but management wasn't always the best.

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Knoxville, TN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% Employee Discount, Fun Dress Up Days, Accountability, Dress Up Days, Specialty, Fashion Forward

Cons

Working Alone, Some Management was not educated, Too much drama, not promoting from within, store management not having a great work-life balance

Keep the drama at home! Learn how to hire the correct people for the positions. Also, learn to promote from WITHIN! AND DON'T PROMOTE JUST FRIENDS FOR DM POSITIONS! A lot of the store managers that deserve promotions, you just keep them hanging around, telling them they're fit for DM positions/training positions and then filling it with other people......not ok!

It was great at some points and terrible at others

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

-50% discount
    -Manager (my 3rd one, anyway)
    -Piercing ears
    -Parties

Cons

-Horrible upper management
    -Bad sales practice
    -Very inconsistent hours
    -Poor employee treatment from staff
    -Drama

-Take time to empathize with each store. Give your DM (district manager) less stores so that they can focus better on them.

Don't get your ears pierced here...

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Destin, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

none whatsoever. It's a horrible work environment.

Cons

Your insurance sucks. You pay by salary. Employees working alone with no assistance. I'm trying tofigure out how Claire's stays in business.

Don't give everyone 18+ a set of keys to the store. Raise your level of shrink. 30% loss of yearly profits shows that you know every tween/teen steals from you. ACTUALLY TRAIN YOUR PIERCERS!!! 2 videos and adult sized practice ears sure HELL doesn't properly train you for a 6 month old BABY. Figure out some other way to organize your backrooms. Tupperware bins ain't working people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people there are usually pretty chill and friendly

Cons

The long hours, rude customers, crying children.

Change the way ear piercings are set up. There should not be a minimum ADS to do ear piercings because that is what boosts up one's ADS

RUN AWAY- RETAIL NIGHTMARE HERE

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Newark, DE (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Newark, DE (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a job, I guess....That is really about all anyone can say for it. Benefits are offered but good look affording them.

Cons

Too many silly time consuming tasks, no breaks- even to pee, staff is provided and all just children, company ceo quit so headquarters is a joke, company is in bad shape financially

Get out while you still can

Claire's Wants You. . . To Work For Nothing! !

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The closeness of the staff is amazing. Your store and district become like a second family. At least mine is. We all look out for each other, give advice, and share ideas to better ourselves and our stores.

Cons

Claire's seriously pays their employees the bare minimum..all the other companies I have looked at pay their ASMs more than what I'm making, its ridiculous. Your job responsibilities outweigh your pay grade. They expect you to do miracles with no payroll and then flip when it's not done. Recently we changed health insurance companies and it's more expensive however our pays are not going to compensate the increase...so now I'm actually losing money to bust my butt. Corporate's realty on what goes on and what it's like to work in a store is seriously skewed.

This is mainly for RSMs and up: Before you decide how we should run our stores, actually work in one. You people have no idea what we actually have to deal with. If you want us to deliver the great wall of China, you better be willing to compensate us..for crying out loud your a multi-billion dollar company..pay us like you care about us like you say you do.

You're a replaceable cog in the machine.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Most customers are pleasant, but it is a retail environment where respect is still a foreign term. Promotion happens from within whenever possible.
    - Ear piercing can be very rewarding because customers are happy 99.9% of the time with the results.
    - Employee discount is good, but keep in mind, that is part of your pay you are giving back to your employer.
    - Bonuses can be good, but it is all based on increasing profit.

Cons

- Working alone for 8 hours (or more) a day without breaks. It is against company policy to sit down, even when customers are not present in the store. This is the main reason for the 1 Star Culture & Values.
    - Ear piercing usually takes at least 5-10 minutes (can be much longer with scared/fussy children,) and it was at times very difficult to keep all customers happy while alone and trying to juggle ringing waiting customers and finishing an ear piercing.
    - Based on the current economy, competition rising in clothing stores, and your location, you may be looking at some quite impossible goals.
    - There is no longer a window cleaning service for either indoor and outdoor stores, and employees are now expected to do this during sales hours.

Take a long, hard look at your treatment of your employees. If they are happy and healthy, they can better sell your products, and they will respect you much more. No one should ever have to go without a regular break on a full shift. No one should ever be considered expendable, even the teens and college students who aren't in it for the long term. By exposing your treatment of your retail staff to them, they could end up being the future corporate employees you never knew you turned away.

Your competitors have expanded to clothing and big box stores. My superior never took my words to heart when I said this, but when your Q4 Fiscal 2013 report becomes public, officials are spouting exactly what I was saying. Get better market researchers and buyers, expand your horizons. It is not the 1990s anymore.

Underappreciated

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Paid time and a half for working over 40 hours a week, 5 personal days a year, 50% discount, currently improving training tools, etc.

Cons

They want to hire whoever will work for the least amount of money, poor communication, alone most shifts, sometimes no break, too high of expectations of employees, stopped contributing to 401ks, no work and personal life balance, poor training, would rather hire from outside than promote from within.

Show appreciation of employees, more hours for tasks to balance customer service, higher pay for key holders for better retention, focus on the growth of your employees.

it was fun in the beginning until you start to see how the business is run

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

people are friendly, employee discount is awesome, benefits/401k are good. being in the store alone its kind of like running your own store

Cons

wages, black out periods, piercing kids/babies ears. training was a 50/50 they teach you and of course you learn on your own

Overall it's ok, just corporate can be a pain.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Westbrook, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Westbrook, CT (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dress code is nice, the product is fun, co-workers are generally pleasant.

Cons

Corporate sets goals, which is understandable, but some of them are out of my control and you'll get reprimanded for it.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!