Claire's Stores

www.clairestores.com
Profile Unclaimed

District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Regional Manager and store manager team. Company car and gas.

Cons

Not enough payroll for stores, difficult getting approval to pay potential employees and/or existing employees a competitive wage for the work that they are required to do. Floor changes are excessive and not enough hours are allocated to complete correctly, without sacrificing customer service standards. Out dated training materials. Excessive contests that are not really motivational to the store teams,

To corporate office: invest time (payroll) to allow district managers to truly develop the store managers, who, in turn, can develop their teams. Source ideas from the field to help develop field teams.

Tiring

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Pretty much get to be in charge of yourself
    - Piercing ears is a milestone for some, so you get to be a part of that
    - 50% discount, but you end up buying things you really don't need

Cons

- Working long shifts alone, no break PLUS you have to do tasks like floor moves and sign changes while being the floor salesperson, cashier, piercer and LP
    - No food or drinks allowed on sales floor, even when you're working alone
    - Staff can make or break a store, my location had a small staff that constantly called out due to "sicknesses"/school, which led to me sometimes having to work open to close because no on else wanted to come in or going home after my shift and having to coming back later
    - Merchandise is always on low price point promos, so with poor traffic and low prices we rarely made our sales
    - 10 for $10
    - Worked there for over a year and received no raise, not even a formal review
    - After my DM found out I was leaving, he offered me more to stay, but not as much as my new job... So why would I stay?

- Give stores enough payroll to allow two person coverage.
    - Corporate also needs to look at their buying system -- merchandise delivery is slow so what may have been trendy is not by the time Claire's gets the merchandise in stock (like fun weevz and hair garlands to name a few); too much money is lost by marking merchandise down every month and having it sell for $1 or $2.
    - Stop beating trends to death! Flower crowns and flash tattoos are not needed for every new concept.

A job for someone in High School

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

The discount is 50% off. If you like to stand around doing nothing then you'll like it. If you want very few hours then you will like it.

Cons

The schedule is made to benefit the store, not you. You will find yourself coming in the middle of the day for four hours. You will get ridiculous schedules: 19 hours a week divided into four days. Such a waste of time. The most hours I have ever gotten was 23. But it will range from 10 hours to about 15. If you are closing at 6:30pm you must do all paperwork, vacuum the entire store, recover, throw out the trash, count down the drawers, and deposit the money at the bank. You must be done by 7pm. They will only pay you until seven. Our bathroom has roaches and we have to eat in a closet. I have worked 8 hours with no break. They do not pay you for break. This whole company sucks.

Pay your employees right. Allow more hours. Give paid breaks or at least a space to eat.

Was fantastic until managment changed.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Elyria, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Elyria, OH (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount is fantastic 50% off Claire's and Icing. Theme Weekends you get an additional 10% off. Any precious metals, CDs, magazines, and ear piercings with 14kt gold you only get 25% off. No store discount on top of sale prices but awesome clearance events ($2 clearance / $5 handbags) and some great normal promotions.

Cons

The company itself drags its feet on situations. Very small staff 5 people in a store at the least and that is 4 managers (Store Manager, Assistant Manager, and 2 Third Keys) and one sales associate. Asking for days off is kind of tricky, store manager gives days off to the person she is closest to even though you requested the day off two weeks in advance. Management does not work with other work schedules. District as a whole needs to be staffed better. Get calls from stores ALL the time for coverage at another store. When you work at another store you should get paid mileage but you aren't even offered. Unrealistic goals sometimes for sales and personal goals. Having a perfect ADS is all everyone is worried about.

Awful company

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount...not much else to get out of working there.

Cons

Tiny space and too much shipment means the store or stockroom is always a mess. Extremely low pay...as a key holder I made 50 cents more than sales associates that made minimum wage & I did the same amount of work as the assistant managers. Your schedule will change at the last minute, the customers are often rude and high volume stores get wrecked on a nightly basis. All the stores in my area lived in fear of the district manager who expected more than was even possible from part time poorly paid workers. High turnover rate. I lasted 5 months

Treat employees better

This was the worst working experience I have ever had.

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

? The only one I can think of is that some of the girls who work there were nice.

Cons

-we went through at least 15 employees in the 6 months I worked there. More than one quit on their first day.
    -you take the blame for everything, even when it is beyond your control, it's your fault
    - incredibly poor training
    - management not listening to customer complaints
    - just an unpleasant atmosphere
    - dropping the deposit off at an unsafe location
    - not enough keys for key holders

Pay attention to who you hire for managers, assistant managers and third keys. Make sure training is done properly and find out why employees quit, because in this store it was all for the same reason.

Opens up doors

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Creating your own schedules if you are a store manager and it has opened many doors for me especially because I am young. You can gain a lot of experience.

Cons

The strategic planning and business model of this company is terrible. I could go on and on about this. Working eight hours with no break, working by yourself with little payroll allocation. I understand that payroll is costly to the company but it would not only deter shoplifters but it would create accountability, specifically when closing. The amount of shrink lost if the payroll allocation was increased would be significantly lessened. I think the company is bringing in a lot of newness with some fresh faces but I don't think enough is being done to re-vamp the image of Claire's. Employees are growing tired. Very very unrealistic expectations for store managers, we aren't super heros but we try really hard to be for the company. Put out shipment, do scheduling, do POG, do markdowns, check all weekly paperwork, reach sales goals, respond to 20 emails, assist customers, do ear piercings all on the sales floor while you are the only one there. Plus, it's your responsibility to keep all employees in line which is difficult if everyone works mostly alone.

Please consult with store managers and employees who are the face of your business to get feedback. 5 training hours to train third key managers, that's it? That is certainly not enough time to train them properly to be key-turned. You cannot expect managers to recruit third keys when we are offering them less than what they can get paid at some fast food restaurants. And the LP department.......please call me back. I've been calling you for three months. Has your 24 hour hotline been out of commission for several years now? If LP is such a big issue, when LP calls are placed especially for potential employee theft, we need an immediate response.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dearborn, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dearborn, MI (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling while I was in college.

Cons

Compensation was on par with others, but promotions were tough to come by.

Worst company & DM EVER overworked underpaid!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Geneva, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Geneva, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ear piercing, running own shift, making schedules, hiring, adding on, new merchandise, customers, making friends

Cons

No breaks, low pay, horrible district manager, horrible human resources, teenagers steal too much, racist company

Dont try and fire the manager to a number 1 store in the company because youre jealous that you couldnt bonus and I did! Do onto others as you wish to be done onto.

I was a third key.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Helping young girls with accessories for prom and homecoming is very satisfying.

Cons

Black Friday sucks!!!! And can get quite boring at times

Claire's Stores Photos