Claire's Stores

Updated 19 August, 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting Job.... some pros but many cons

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Nashua, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashua, NH (US)

Pros

Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy.

Cons

Ear-piercing babies was awful... The management used fear rather than reward. Minimum wage job with inflexible hours as well as not enough hours. Another downside is having to work during holidays- especially Christmas, long hours on the days leading up to Christmas- until 11pm some nights and all shifts you stay standing the whole time.

N/A

No opportunities

Pros

Nice people, nice enviroment, good SMT

Cons

No training, no career prospects

Typical Retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

The work environment was fun at times. The employee discount was great, 50% off! We also received an end of the year bonus.

Cons

Management was horrible. Ear piercing babies is soul-crushing. The pay was minimum wage. The hours were sparse and all over the place. Inventory...

Treat your employees with a shred of decency... Being condescending is not appreciated nor is it helpful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun but not a life decision

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Employee discount. Fun staff. Happy atmosphere. Ear piercings. Celebrate parties. Working with all types of people every day.

Cons

Working alone for as long as 8 hours. Not always getting clear direction from upper management. Company expecting everything to be the same not taking into account different shapes, volumes, sizes, and demographic of stores.

Pay your people. If you expect us to work always alone, with a huge list of tasks, and customer service, and sales....and only give us the bare minimum of allocated hours to do so, pay us more. I was given a 16 cent raise after turning my store from a total hole to one people come to for a reason. And I can't hire more people because then I'll have 5 hours to give each employee and who wants to stay with a company that only pays them 5 hours a week?

Save money on all that unnecessary marketing, go electronic with CNNs, and stop sending us moldy merchandise to later destroy and pay your people what they deserve. If you pay us more, our quality of work will improve.

if you have to work retail don't work here

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Nyack, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Nyack, NY (US)

Pros

good pay if you've never had work experience
    flexible hours
    half off everything in the store

Cons

screaming babies from ear piercings
    bad management
    kids running through the store all the time
    putting back the items on the shelf (it's like where's waldo except worse)

It was a fun job with a great discount and fun environment, but management wasn't always the best.

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Knoxville, TN (US)

Pros

50% Employee Discount, Fun Dress Up Days, Accountability, Dress Up Days, Specialty, Fashion Forward

Cons

Working Alone, Some Management was not educated, Too much drama, not promoting from within, store management not having a great work-life balance

Keep the drama at home! Learn how to hire the correct people for the positions. Also, learn to promote from WITHIN! AND DON'T PROMOTE JUST FRIENDS FOR DM POSITIONS! A lot of the store managers that deserve promotions, you just keep them hanging around, telling them they're fit for DM positions/training positions and then filling it with other people......not ok!

It was great at some points and terrible at others

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Pros

-50% discount
    -Manager (my 3rd one, anyway)
    -Piercing ears
    -Parties

Cons

-Horrible upper management
    -Bad sales practice
    -Very inconsistent hours
    -Poor employee treatment from staff
    -Drama

-Take time to empathize with each store. Give your DM (district manager) less stores so that they can focus better on them.

Don't get your ears pierced here...

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Destin, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL (US)

Pros

none whatsoever. It's a horrible work environment.

Cons

Your insurance sucks. You pay by salary. Employees working alone with no assistance. I'm trying tofigure out how Claire's stays in business.

Don't give everyone 18+ a set of keys to the store. Raise your level of shrink. 30% loss of yearly profits shows that you know every tween/teen steals from you. ACTUALLY TRAIN YOUR PIERCERS!!! 2 videos and adult sized practice ears sure HELL doesn't properly train you for a 6 month old BABY. Figure out some other way to organize your backrooms. Tupperware bins ain't working people

Claire's Wants You. . . To Work For Nothing! !

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

The closeness of the staff is amazing. Your store and district become like a second family. At least mine is. We all look out for each other, give advice, and share ideas to better ourselves and our stores.

Cons

Claire's seriously pays their employees the bare minimum..all the other companies I have looked at pay their ASMs more than what I'm making, its ridiculous. Your job responsibilities outweigh your pay grade. They expect you to do miracles with no payroll and then flip when it's not done. Recently we changed health insurance companies and it's more expensive however our pays are not going to compensate the increase...so now I'm actually losing money to bust my butt. Corporate's realty on what goes on and what it's like to work in a store is seriously skewed.

This is mainly for RSMs and up: Before you decide how we should run our stores, actually work in one. You people have no idea what we actually have to deal with. If you want us to deliver the great wall of China, you better be willing to compensate us..for crying out loud your a multi-billion dollar company..pay us like you care about us like you say you do.

You're a replaceable cog in the machine.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

- Most customers are pleasant, but it is a retail environment where respect is still a foreign term. Promotion happens from within whenever possible.
    - Ear piercing can be very rewarding because customers are happy 99.9% of the time with the results.
    - Employee discount is good, but keep in mind, that is part of your pay you are giving back to your employer.
    - Bonuses can be good, but it is all based on increasing profit.

Cons

- Working alone for 8 hours (or more) a day without breaks. It is against company policy to sit down, even when customers are not present in the store. This is the main reason for the 1 Star Culture & Values.
    - Ear piercing usually takes at least 5-10 minutes (can be much longer with scared/fussy children,) and it was at times very difficult to keep all customers happy while alone and trying to juggle ringing waiting customers and finishing an ear piercing.
    - Based on the current economy, competition rising in clothing stores, and your location, you may be looking at some quite impossible goals.
    - There is no longer a window cleaning service for either indoor and outdoor stores, and employees are now expected to do this during sales hours.

Take a long, hard look at your treatment of your employees. If they are happy and healthy, they can better sell your products, and they will respect you much more. No one should ever have to go without a regular break on a full shift. No one should ever be considered expendable, even the teens and college students who aren't in it for the long term. By exposing your treatment of your retail staff to them, they could end up being the future corporate employees you never knew you turned away.

Your competitors have expanded to clothing and big box stores. My superior never took my words to heart when I said this, but when your Q4 Fiscal 2013 report becomes public, officials are spouting exactly what I was saying. Get better market researchers and buyers, expand your horizons. It is not the 1990s anymore.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!