Claire's Stores

Updated 22 November, 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great and knowledgeable team of people

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

People, leader in accessory business, giving at the local and global levels

Cons

Less open to new ideas and new processes

It was Sucky.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50 % off employee discount was good. It's the most I have ever gotten before. And the dress code is fun.

Cons

I hated the management. The amount of sign changes are ridiculous. Way too many. Soo much tedious product. Just no.

I can't ever walk into a Claire's again

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount, opportunity for growth (in store only), fun merchandise, fast paced, never bored

Cons

Low payroll so mostly one on one coverage, no meal breaks and sometimes very hard to take a restroom break, conflicting direction from higher mgrs, staffing issues go overlooked for too long, high stress on Mgmnt team, high shrink, unprofessionalism on dm level including gossip and profanity

Dm's shouldn't be allowed to text you past 10pm. There is too much money being wasted on unused marketing which only clutters our marketing station and damages the signs we really need. Markdowns should be done every two months with more payroll allocation to ensure completeness, because being behind on a task every month only hurts the business and store morale. Give more pog hours or make a new pog with more reasonable moves.

A company that lacks professionalism as sever as this company is a company you DON'T want to be employed with.

Former Employee - Third Key in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've met wonderful people through this job, including other employees and customers. Being an ear piercer was fun (I was trained correctly, in a Claire's located in Orlando, FL). The employee discount of 50% is a nice perk, along with cute merchandise. The job doesn't require a lot of physical toll. That's literally all this company has to offer.

Cons

The DM, store managers, etc, DO NOT care about their employees. All these people are looking for is someone to be there and making sure the store is open and the cashiers are going. I've had to miss classes countless times to cover shifts that need to be covered. Oh, and that's another thing, they're always embarrassingly understaffed, this makes the employees who do work there become overworked and underpaid for the toll it takes. Schedules are always changing, managers promise promotions with no intention of giving it, the DM I had would get in your personal space that can be considered as sexual assault, DM insults employees on appearances, store manager leaves an hour and half before their shifts end store managers who don't clean, do shipment, or anything at all and, this store does NOT actually train their ear piercers!! They just throw the new employees into it! I was trained back in Orlando, FL and I came to find out that this store did no type of training remotely close to what I was trained. Basically, all this says is Claire's needs to recheck themselves as a company. They treat their employees unethically!

If your company had better managers and paid your employees better I'd guarantee you'd have happy employees and happy customers!! Even make better sales! How you treat your employees now shows when they work, maybe that's why your company is going down the hole this year!!!

Store manager for 9 years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the discount and ear piercing and having fun with customers and employees. Loved the experience.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. .. 1st several years was great but then got new district manager who for 1 makes promises that can't keep them 2 has favorites and discuss issues to others about others.. 3 work alone alot underpaid and never got appreciated for your hard work. Lots of unnecessary drama.4 lots of sign changes and tasks that with no payroll was all on you and was held accountable if not completed which is hard when only 1 person working is ridiculous. I got recruited to another company and when I told District manager she was like ok thanks for letting me know. Like seriously I was there for 9 years and didn't even ask me why I was leaving which shows you they don't care!!! Only recommend this job if u are young and don't have kids and no life...

If a district has a high turnover in ppl you might want to look into district manager.. Also maybe get more hours so ppl will stay.

Over-worked, under-paid, no work life balance

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job and you can gain retail experience if you don't already have any.

Cons

Compensation is about $10k less than what you'd make in another retail store. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is not the place to look. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pneumonia and was still made to come to work with a 103 temp and a doctors excuse because the RSM was coming. The work environment is anything but pleasant. You are constantly reminded to avoid having shoplifters, but they don't give enough payroll to staff the locations.

Be realistic with your expectations and your pay. How is a top producing store manager only paid $35k? How are they supposed to run a store with low payroll numbers?

It was very stressful and exhausting.

Former Employee - Third Key in Christiansburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are able to act silly on the job and had 50 percent off on all merchandise.

Cons

Most of the time you will be the only one in the store.

When someone follows company policy, they should not get a "talking" to. If it's policy then back it up management!

Plays Favorites, Too Demanding For the Pay

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% Discount, Fun, Meet lots of great people, benefits package fair, vacation and personal hours awesome!

Cons

As a manager: no work/life balance-always expected to be "on-call", corporate doesn't respond to problems in a timely matter, district manager total moron, plays favorites, no time to do what is expected and then you are put down for not getting it done, h.r. department is a joke, have unrealistic goals to meet, no security cameras or mirrors and you are responsible for shrink (impossible in a busy store!), no payroll hours, too much paperwork, no team work

Have one-on-one meetings with store teammates-find out how your district managers are running the district. Training could be greatly improved!!

Good for a young person starting in management. Good work/life balance for a retail management position.

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Average growth potential. Promote from within. Great discount. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of support from corporate. High expectations with nothing provided to achieve them. You work by yourself most of the time. Can't leave the store during that time. No break room (microwave or fridge) provided. Have to deal with disrespectful kids a LOT. Materials needed for events required by the company are not provided.

You have to spend money to make money

Loved the job, but hated the pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice discounts
    nice room for promotion
    customers are fun

Cons

working with tons of tiny items
    unstable managers
    district managers were forceful at making leads travel to different stores, with no extra pay, or compensation on gas.
    managers dont work that much and leave it all to assistants
    managers can be gone for hours on end on breaks

depending on managers, they all were aways so different.
    Dont force employes to buy products and wear them if they do not like a specific product.
    I understand wearing something to inspire customers, but if its something i dont like wearing, like hats, its a waste of my money.

Managers need to be more like managers, train managers properly. Most of them are very lazy.

Upgrade the system ! Everything is pen and paper, and using calculator and a lot of hand written things. Never have I ever worked for a shop where everything is written down so much ! From daily goals, to schedules, ext ect.

A competitive pay rate would also be nice. I can not work in a high income state, and make min wage as a asst manager. you only seem to somewhat make money if you are a manager, if you are not then you are out of luck and need at least another job to survive. Bonuses are a joke at this company, and no benefits.