Claire's Stores Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting Job.... some pros but many cons

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Nashua, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashua, NH (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy.

Cons

Ear-piercing babies was awful... The management used fear rather than reward. Minimum wage job with inflexible hours as well as not enough hours. Another downside is having to work during holidays- especially Christmas, long hours on the days leading up to Christmas- until 11pm some nights and all shifts you stay standing the whole time.

N/A

Typical Retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment was fun at times. The employee discount was great, 50% off! We also received an end of the year bonus.

Cons

Management was horrible. Ear piercing babies is soul-crushing. The pay was minimum wage. The hours were sparse and all over the place. Inventory...

Treat your employees with a shred of decency... Being condescending is not appreciated nor is it helpful.

No opportunities

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Nice people, nice enviroment, good SMT

Cons

No training, no career prospects

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun but not a life decision

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount. Fun staff. Happy atmosphere. Ear piercings. Celebrate parties. Working with all types of people every day.

Cons

Working alone for as long as 8 hours. Not always getting clear direction from upper management. Company expecting everything to be the same not taking into account different shapes, volumes, sizes, and demographic of stores.

Pay your people. If you expect us to work always alone, with a huge list of tasks, and customer service, and sales....and only give us the bare minimum of allocated hours to do so, pay us more. I was given a 16 cent raise after turning my store from a total hole to one people come to for a reason. And I can't hire more people because then I'll have 5 hours to give each employee and who wants to stay with a company that only pays them 5 hours a week?

Save money on all that unnecessary marketing, go electronic with CNNs, and stop sending us moldy merchandise to later destroy and pay your people what they deserve. If you pay us more, our quality of work will improve.

I grew to really like it!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great manager and people to work with.

Cons

Single coverage, stressful workload,

More sales floor coverage please!

Good for a first time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a wonderful first job to have. You learn a lot about customer service and how to keep a store organized. They have one of the best employee discounts I've ever heard off which was 50% off at the time. There is no such thing as training. They just showed me a video while I sat on the floor and then they just showed me how to work the register and that was it.

Cons

There are no benefits, at least for sales associates there aren't. There is a lot of work to do and you have to keep moving even when there is no one in the store. There is always something to do. The pay is not great at all.

Appreciate your sales associates more. They're the ones that do all the work.

if you have to work retail don't work here

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Nyack, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Nyack, NY (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay if you've never had work experience
    flexible hours
    half off everything in the store

Cons

screaming babies from ear piercings
    bad management
    kids running through the store all the time
    putting back the items on the shelf (it's like where's waldo except worse)

Third key

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meeting new people
    Enjoyed the team members
    Helping others
    Opportunity for promotions

Cons

In the store alone for long periods of time
    Low pay

Kicking you when your Down

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discounts only, that is about it

Cons

Vacation and personal days are rarely able to use due to always expecting to be in the buisness. Having way to many jobs to complete, paperwork to do, keeping up with frieght, hopeing that todays workers will actually show up for there jobs, recruit on a DAILY basis not just weekly, Throwing new things at employees on a weekly basis's as well, update mall websites, host one ear piercing princess event a month, must host one celebrate party a month with not contributions from company. Set up secret shops on store everyweek, use your off time to wait and do night checks. Expect unreliable employees to actually fallow through with what there tought when they dont and your not there you have to do it, Have conversation with said employee when you actually see them next week since there is not enough payroll to have two people on at once. Why turnover takes so long to fill positions because others get sick of having to work days that they work at other jobs because there isn't enough hours to train so they just walk out and leave. When you hold people accountable the way the company wants they turn and walk out no two week notice. Leaving Managers to not have a personal life.

Allow management a set monday through sunday set schedual improving the management moral, allow third keys set scheduals to allow for much easier and quick fillment of positions that become vacant to part time management to equire other employement or schooling objectives to help compinsate the lack of hours recieved due to payroll cuts. Stop the negativity don't say one thing then turn and say another in a form of a paper. Cut out the extra junk, Some things just don't matter and are a waste of time that cause more of a headache and Anxiety. If the customer is top priority then don't make additional reaports mandatory, we understand there usage but when you add too many its overwhealming. Stop trying to change things to Stream line, When i first started with this company things were more predictable on changes which allowed for a quicker promo changes and stocking. Sometimes oldschool is the way to go, RM coming in and harping on managers for DORs not completely rolled out usually is due to things they can't handle all the other paperwork why add more to them untill they reach that level. A jobs should not cause mental and exhaustion to ones health. When employees start to have panik attacks at work because the transactions arent meeting goals and your can see a decline in mall traffic and are doing everything in you posistion possible with all the responsibilites given is a joke. Emails coming daily saying you pretty much suck daily doesn't help a stores moral specially at the start of the buisness day. NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY TO REACH EVERY EMPLOYEE. Store managers consistantly giving up holidays un aware if stores will open. Lack of qualified applications coming through the door, Other stores recruitting your employees offering more money and more hours. Can't get other to come work for you as they would always be taking a pay cut. Take a walk through malls LOOK AT THE NOW HIRING SIGHNS THERE IS A REASON EVERYONE IS LEAVING RETAIL, YOUR BLAMING THE WRONG PEOPLE AND PUTTING MONEY INTO THINGS THAT WONT MAKE YOU MONEY. IF YOUR RM ARE SITTING THERE SAYING THAT WE ARE REPLACEABLE AFTER BRINGING THE MORAL DOWN TO BEGIN WITH MAKING OUR HOPES ONE DAY BECOMING A DM NO LONGER POSSIBLE AND EXPECTING RESULTS WE QUESTION WHY ARE WE GIVING UP OUR TIME FOR LESS PAY THEN OTHER STORES MANAGERS, MISSING IMPORTANT LIFE CHANGING FAMILY EVENTS, NOT BEING ABLE TO FURTHER OUR EDUCATION HAVING TO BE AT THE STORE AT ANY GIVEN SAID MOMENT. HOPE YOUR HOLIDAYS ARE NICE OURS ARE ALWAYS PUT ON HOLD. IF WE CANT FURTHER OUR CAREER WHY DO WE WANT TO CONTINUED TO BE TREATED LIKE CRAP IN A JOB WE CAN'T EVEN AFFORD TO BUY HOMES OR FEEL WE ARE ACTUALLY LIVING OUR LIFE. GIVE MANAGERS OFFICE HOURS TOO WITH ALL THE REPORTS AND BOOKS HAVING TO BE LOOKED OVER WE NEED A PLACE THAT IS UNDISTRACTING TO COMPLETELY ACKNOWLEGE THESE TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS AND FIX EMPLOYEE ERRORS..

Don't get your ears pierced here...

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Destin, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

none whatsoever. It's a horrible work environment.

Cons

Your insurance sucks. You pay by salary. Employees working alone with no assistance. I'm trying tofigure out how Claire's stays in business.

Don't give everyone 18+ a set of keys to the store. Raise your level of shrink. 30% loss of yearly profits shows that you know every tween/teen steals from you. ACTUALLY TRAIN YOUR PIERCERS!!! 2 videos and adult sized practice ears sure HELL doesn't properly train you for a 6 month old BABY. Figure out some other way to organize your backrooms. Tupperware bins ain't working people

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!