Claire's Stores Reviews

Roller coaster ride

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Everyone from store manager to associate get paid vacation time, which is nice. The pay is decent and you get a 10 cent raise every 6 months with the company, if you're hired within guidelines.

Cons

The guidelines for third key are $7.50-$8.25 per hour. Well, I wasn't hired within guidelines. I got $8.60 an hour and my raise depended on my yearly review. Both of my reviews have been excellent, and my raise? 14 cents per hour. The environment seems awesome- and most people there love their job. But it's the caddiest company I've ever seen. There's so much drama, even if you're like me and keep your mouth shut and your head down. Each store is really small, too. So you're constantly working with. The same people with the same gossip and the same problems. Plus, since the store is so small, it's near impossible to move up. Especially if you're good at your job. The menager won't allow you to transfer to another store for a higher position because they don't want to lose an employee that does their job well.... Even if they're ready to move up!!!

Advice to Management

Stop being caddy. It's not highschool, so grow up.

2. Store Managers

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts. Training was good.

Cons

Work alone for long periods of time.

3. Horrible.

Current Contractor - Supervisor
    Current Contractor - Supervisor

I have been working at Claire's Stores as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The staff in the shops are tolerable, 50% discount but only on the Claire's own stuff.

Cons

I currently work there but I'm desperately looking for another job! The pay is atrocious, they constantly under pay me. Also, Monday to Friday there's only 2 people in the store all day to do everything, including customer service, replenish stock, sort and put out delivery, reads, all the paper work that needs doing out in the back, using the tills and ear piercing. It's ridiculous when it's busy and you've got a double piercing that needs doing and people waiting at the till and there's only two of you. The other week we had to shave hours so it was just me and one other in on the Saturday of Easter weekend, it's safe to say neither of us had a lunch break and it ended up with people shouting at us for not being at the till when we were doing baby and child piercings, it's ridiculous. Not to mention the 4 times a year we have planogram sand have to stay into the night sorting out the shop, other companies have a special team come in and do it, not their staff who then have to work the next day. Everyone apart from SM and ASM are on 4 hour contracts which means people like me, the 3rd key have no fixed hours which means I have no constant flow of money, even though I am a trained supervisor I get paid the same as the sales assistants and I put in so much extra work. Another thing is, for example, on days I open and close, I have to be there from 8-6:30 in order to be able to sort the tills and paper work before the store opens and after the store shuts, but I'll only get paid 9-6, the opening hours, which means I'm working an extra 1h 30mins a day that I won't be paid for. It's a horrible company, they have no ethics, no morals and absolutely no respect for their retail workers whatsoever. The DSMs are awful and fake people too.

Advice to Management

Sort yourselves out, pay us more, I'm on 5.15 an hour, that's not enough, get some morals, build some ethics.

5. I'm not a fan!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Glendale, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Glendale, WI (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Good employee discount for the employees.

Cons

Horrible pay and uper management is extremely unorganized!

Advice to Management

Look elsewhere for work. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone except students.

6. Not too bad for a first part-time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

There's roughly 8-10 members total so you get to know them pretty well. Unless it's holiday season (November - beginning January), you can get days off easily. Always something to do to keep you occupied.

Cons

It's easy to dislike a member. It's annoying to say the same ear piercing speech constantly (even if the next person already heard the speech, it's policy to repeat it to each customer). Recovering is terrible because everything's small. If you have a closing shift on a busy day, expect to be done about 1-2 hours after the mall closes. Be aware of secret shoppers.

7. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Joseph, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Joseph, MO (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great bonus program and great pay

Cons

You work a lot by yourself but I love working by myself.

Advice to Management

If you are a high driven individual I would go for it!!

Never Again.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

The only pro was the fact that I had one absolutely amazing coworker.

Cons

District management around my branch was absolutely awful. I left because my manager went haywire, wasn't working the hours she claimed, and she was reprimanding her employee's for no reason, and they allowed her to stay even after they found she lied about her hours.

Advice to Management

Pay attention.

9. Great place to work at in general, but management does require more experience.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Horseheads, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Horseheads, NY (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other employee's are great to work with and you get to meet a lot of unique people. Because Claire's is an international company, working there looks great on resume's. The work, while sometimes a lot, makes time go by faster. There are a lot of leadership opportunities as well. I'm a third key for one of the stores, which is part of the management team. Recently I have also been put in charge of our store's Celebrate program. Not only do I get to plan out celebrations for our staff and fun dress up days, I get to book parties in our store for customers who want to come in an hour before opening or after closing. I've also begun working on networking for our store by getting touch with other businesses' about promotions, displays and the like. Which again, looks amazing on resumes. Not to mention the interstore relations. If there is something at your store no one knows the answer to, you have access to dozens of other Claire's stores who will have an answer.

Cons

The only con's I can really think of is that for training, we were not given training hours. Instead, all of our training was done while assisting customers, meaning that it was broken up a lot and not all in order.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to work on training hours, and that weather does have a huge impact on sales.

10. I worked at Claire's as a part time during college

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get the hang of things fairly quickly and are trained to pierce. They can be flexible with hours for those still in school. There are also opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The schedule is never consistent and people are in and out all the time. It can also get pretty repetitive at times so you need to be innovative and find things to keep you busy on slow days. Also, people want to bring their entire families when piercing a baby...be prepared.

11. Good starter retail job

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Putting a smile on little girls faces.
    Flexible scheduling
    Challenging job

Cons

Work by yourself a lot
    Long shifts when it's busy trying to run the store
    High turnover

Advice to Management

Give your stores more hours to properly staff their stores

Claire's Stores Photos