Claire's Stores

Updated 19 October, 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 40 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Company

Former Employee - Third Key in Conroe, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Conroe, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good first job
    Meeting different types of people
    Having co-workers around your age
    Decent hours

Cons

Not enough pay
    Closing by yourself
    No benefits

Listen to our helpful advice we may not know everything but we have a better idea of what the customer wants that you may have

Fine for starting off in retail..

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50% Discount
    Management was easy to get a long with

Cons

Late Mall hours
    Part-time employees have their hours cut drastically during the slow season

Those who do their job well should be secured hours

micromanaged

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount
    Planograms are always fun to do

Cons

You have to work every weekend and close at least one of those days
    EXTREMELY micromanaged
    Competing with other managers for your time off, only 2/14-16 managers can be off at a time, plus there are so many black out periods you can barely pick time for your vacation
    Not every manager is treated fairly

Take a look at how some of your district managers treat their people. Leading through fear is not an effective way of management . Also, give your store managers more freedom- we are all treated like glorified key holders. Majority of the senior management preach "work life balance" during recruiting, no way. We have to work every single weekend and being able to use our paid time off is nightmare. Also, you have to give at least FOUR weeks notice just to use a personal day There is no room for career advancement and it is not worth the stress or the hassle. Other retailers do not see us store managers as quality material and most of them wouldn't consider hiring us.

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great benefits ... can move up quick

Cons

Operation structure needs work, lots of tyrn over , training is an overload

Be prepared lots of turn over

Too much pressure, too little pay.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

The job duties are relatively simple, flexible hours, and there is a great store discount. A decent job if you're putting yourself through college, but not for an actual career.

Cons

Though the tasks are easy to do, there are so many that it becomes hard to keep up, especially if the team is slacking, the pay isn't enough for how much pressure is put on you, you're almost always working alone, and upper management is horrible.

Claire's breaks down individual and store sales by time increments. Because of this, one can see how often an employee has or has not been working on a register. The tool allows for district and regional managers to see who is truly working. They really need to look closely at these numbers. I worked at two locations where the store managers stayed on the clock, but were out shopping for any where up to three hours. The paperwork showed that they had no sales for these time spans, and nothing ever came of it. Simply put, they need to pay close attention.

Crappy Company

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good place to start in retail, you meet great people, and its a fun environment.

Cons

Poor management. Too much pressure to push for sales when there's not enough business (depending on location) Crappy pay. Everything they train you on is rushed. You are often left alone to run the store so you have to act as a manager and take on all the responsibilities. Too many shoplifting incidents. Very disorganized management.

Take some time to train your employees without rushing. Increase the pay for everything the employees have to deal with.

Ok place to work

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

They paid well, pd for over time hour.

Cons

push push push, there are only so many things you can add at the cash wrap

I loved to hate this job.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, healthcare was ppo BCBS which is great insurance and the price wasn't bad. I worked independently a lot which was both a pro and a con. Pay higher than average for our part time management (third keys) and theres often room for growth up to an assistant or store manager position.

Cons

Upper management (district, regional etc) was not very hands on, perhaps in the higher volume stores but I would go weeks without having a proper conversation with my dm, which changed several times during my employment.

District managers should train store managers directly. COmmunication needs improvement.

Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Third Key in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Was not promised the hours that I was promised in the Interview.

Hold your managers to their word.

This is my second job, but first retail job and it's fun and fast pace.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are friendly and helpful to new workers. My manager is also pretty simple and easy to understand and get along with. Some customers are okay (only give you time to say hi), but a couple like your opinion and help finding items. Decent pay and easy closing routine for a minor at least. Fun work environment. If your a girl you can easily relate to some item in the store and enhance it to get it sold.

Cons

Long shifts are given to you regardless if you are a minor. My first shift was seven hours with no break. My second shift, my break was close to closing time. I become tired, weak and hungry after standing for 6 hours! Customers throw things everywhere, and it's your responsibility during "recovery". Aka clean every small thing in great detail or your leaving late or risking your employment. Also, long term wormers stay on you for "guesting", greeting every customer and informing them about promotions. But it's OK (manageable)

It's unfair to throw new workers in during a busy week. We won't get proper thorough, training, and this upsets customers and employees.