Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Claire's Wants You. . . To Work For Nothing! !

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe closeness of the staff is amazing. Your store and district become like a second family. At least mine is. We all look out for each other, give advice, and share ideas to better ourselves and our stores.

ConsClaire's seriously pays their employees the bare minimum..all the other companies I have looked at pay their ASMs more than what I'm making, its ridiculous. Your job responsibilities outweigh your pay grade. They expect you to do miracles with no payroll and then flip when it's not done. Recently we changed health insurance companies and it's more expensive however our pays are not going to compensate the increase...so now I'm actually losing money to bust my butt. Corporate's realty on what goes on and what it's like to work in a store is seriously skewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is mainly for RSMs and up: Before you decide how we should run our stores, actually work in one. You people have no idea what we actually have to deal with. If you want us to deliver the great wall of China, you better be willing to compensate us..for crying out loud your a multi-billion dollar company..pay us like you care about us like you say you do.

Underappreciated

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPaid time and a half for working over 40 hours a week, 5 personal days a year, 50% discount, currently improving training tools, etc.

ConsThey want to hire whoever will work for the least amount of money, poor communication, alone most shifts, sometimes no break, too high of expectations of employees, stopped contributing to 401ks, no work and personal life balance, poor training, would rather hire from outside than promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation of employees, more hours for tasks to balance customer service, higher pay for key holders for better retention, focus on the growth of your employees.

You're a replaceable cog in the machine.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- Most customers are pleasant, but it is a retail environment where respect is still a foreign term. Promotion happens from within whenever possible.
    - Ear piercing can be very rewarding because customers are happy 99.9% of the time with the results.
    - Employee discount is good, but keep in mind, that is part of your pay you are giving back to your employer.
    - Bonuses can be good, but it is all based on increasing profit.

Cons- Working alone for 8 hours (or more) a day without breaks. It is against company policy to sit down, even when customers are not present in the store. This is the main reason for the 1 Star Culture & Values.
    - Ear piercing usually takes at least 5-10 minutes (can be much longer with scared/fussy children,) and it was at times very difficult to keep all customers happy while alone and trying to juggle ringing waiting customers and finishing an ear piercing.
    - Based on the current economy, competition rising in clothing stores, and your location, you may be looking at some quite impossible goals.
    - There is no longer a window cleaning service for either indoor and outdoor stores, and employees are now expected to do this during sales hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long, hard look at your treatment of your employees. If they are happy and healthy, they can better sell your products, and they will respect you much more. No one should ever have to go without a regular break on a full shift. No one should ever be considered expendable, even the teens and college students who aren't in it for the long term. By exposing your treatment of your retail staff to them, they could end up being the future corporate employees you never knew you turned away.

Your competitors have expanded to clothing and big box stores. My superior never took my words to heart when I said this, but when your Q4 Fiscal 2013 report becomes public, officials are spouting exactly what I was saying. Get better market researchers and buyers, expand your horizons. It is not the 1990s anymore.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was great at some points and terrible at others

Third Key Holder (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

Pros-50% discount
    -Manager (my 3rd one, anyway)
    -Piercing ears
    -Parties

Cons-Horrible upper management
    -Bad sales practice
    -Very inconsistent hours
    -Poor employee treatment from staff
    -Drama

Advice to Senior Management-Take time to empathize with each store. Give your DM (district manager) less stores so that they can focus better on them.

Pretty good

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsThe people there are usually pretty chill and friendly

ConsThe long hours, rude customers, crying children.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way ear piercings are set up. There should not be a minimum ADS to do ear piercings because that is what boosts up one's ADS

Overall it's ok, just corporate can be a pain.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Westbrook, CT (US)

ProsDress code is nice, the product is fun, co-workers are generally pleasant.

ConsCorporate sets goals, which is understandable, but some of them are out of my control and you'll get reprimanded for it.

it was fun in the beginning until you start to see how the business is run

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA (US)

Prospeople are friendly, employee discount is awesome, benefits/401k are good. being in the store alone its kind of like running your own store

Conswages, black out periods, piercing kids/babies ears. training was a 50/50 they teach you and of course you learn on your own

Good company to grow with

Store Manager (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL (US)

ProsI loved working for the company. It has great products and is all over the world, so not impossible to move to another location and continue working. It is slowly catching up technology wise with the rest of big businesses, which is great. Bonus opportunities, lots of company contests and perks for excellent performance. I've learned a lot with this company that has made me successful at other jobs as well.

ConsDepending on who your manager is, it may be hard to continue growing with the company beyond store level. Limited hours in the store means you work alone often. Work load can be heavy too, especially when working alone. Ear piercing like crazy too, some customers are just not fun having to do this with all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp those who want to advance move into positions to do so, or else they just get bored and want to leave after being used and ignored in a store level position.

Amazing

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee) Great Falls, MT (US)

ProsLove to work with people, make great friends, it's hard work and challenging, something new everyday!

ConsThe black out(non vacation times) periods are many, pay is not the best, hard to understand the business due to micro-managing.

Advice to Senior Managementunderstand the business as much as possible and accept the fact that you will have no control over much of the business.

RUN AWAY- RETAIL NIGHTMARE HERE

Store Manager (Former Employee) Newark, DE (US)

ProsIt is a job, I guess....That is really about all anyone can say for it. Benefits are offered but good look affording them.

ConsToo many silly time consuming tasks, no breaks- even to pee, staff is provided and all just children, company ceo quit so headquarters is a joke, company is in bad shape financially

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out while you still can

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!