Claire's Stores Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Claires cute products

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager  in  Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

cute products, good work hours

Cons

not a lot to do some days, not great pay

pay better, give more creative freedom

Don't work here!!

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

you get a pretty good discount of 50 percent off everything including clearance except when 10 for 10 is on and most of the time if you need a day off for an appointment or something theyll give it off

Cons

management is a joke. i worked there for 6 months and we went through 3 store managers, 2 assistant managers and several sales people/ third keys left too. i ended up having to work50-60 hours a week and then they finally hired a couple people and my hours were put down to like 15. the DM for calgary is really rude and demanding and she will change her mind about floor plans like 10 times and then get mad at you when you havent finished it because she keeps making you restart halfway through. she also tends to only hire store managers that she knows outside of work and she gossips with them and will go for smoke breaks constantly but then yell at you when you go to get a drink quickly. breaks are quite often a joke as well. you get a half hour if you work 5 hours or more which is fine except that the way they schedule you often have to go like an hour before the end of your shift if youre opening or like as soon as you get there basically if youre closing and half the time you dont even get it and no one seems to care. schedules are also supposed to be posted 2 weeks in advance but often arent even made until the day before. you are expected to get through at least like 3 to 5 huge boxes of earrings and things in just a few hours which is impossible with customers and ear piercings constantly walking into the store. birthday parties are a joke the one that i did the girl was like 12 and was way too old for it and was just miserable the whole time. and they barely give you any training on doing ear piercings. you just watch a dvd do a couple on a foam ear and then they let go right ahead on customers. dont ever get pierced at or work for claires.

the whole upper management needs to be replaced. you need people that care about thier employees and understand that we arent capable of doing 15 peoples work between like 3 people.

a work place with no challenge at all

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Toronto, ON

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

-no stress
    -don't get tired easily
    -get to learn how to do piercing
    -less annoying customers
    -full of kids
    -good store discounts

Cons

-old computer system
    -management knows nothing if computer goes wrong
    -the store I worked has 2 managers with poor managerial skills

upgrade that super old and slow computer system to make associates life easier
    and train managers and assistant managers well which includes their friendliness to employees and customers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you're looking for a flashback of highschool drama and gossip, work here!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

merchandise discount of 50%
    paid sick and personal days
    vacation
    fashionable jewellery and accessories

Cons

Upper Management very condescending. Bullying was very common, and HR does not stand up for employee's rights. Lots of overtime, no lieu time or banked time for all of the extra time you put in. Very poor payroll and coverage, therefore working alone almost all of the time. Lots of tasks they want completed, along with 100% customer service, while answering the phone and piercing ears, all at th same time... WHILE WORKING ALONE :) Unrealistic expectations. Lots of highschool drama and gossip. Internal theft is huge, investigators always brought in to interrigate staff. Constant threat of a "CORPORATE VISIT" although it never actually happens. This is code for "work for free, prep the stores, in case they decide to come." All around, unprofessional atmosphere. More people off on stress leave in this company than actually at work, gee- I wonder why? The company appears to be managed very differently than how it was managed in prior years. Would not wish my worst enemy to work in this environment. Oh, and they pay their manager's very poorly... for a "mid-volume" manager, expect to make about $30K. If you go to work in clothing, you can make this as an assistant manager! Company seems unstable, went through a massive downsizing a year ago, terminating half of the district managers and regional managers... you never know what's next.

Respect for people might be something you consider adding to a regular store visit.
    Work/life balance actually makes people more productive while they're at work- what a concept!
    If you take away all of the employee incentives (such as service awards, etc...) why would ppl stay?
    Turnover seems to be excessive right now... we've lost almost all of the DM's, and the RM? Is the company actually looking into this to find out why all of these ppl left and were so unhappy in their jobs? Does the company care? Lack of leadership leads to a lack of focus to the business. Claire's will continue to settle for inexperienced entry level store managers unless the company decides to rethink the pay scales. HR is a useless department, all talk, no action! What has HR done for the store staff lately?

Ok place to work

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

They paid well, pd for over time hour.

Cons

push push push, there are only so many things you can add at the cash wrap

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great benefits ... can move up quick

Cons

Operation structure needs work, lots of tyrn over , training is an overload

Be prepared lots of turn over

I loved to hate this job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Algonquin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits, healthcare was ppo BCBS which is great insurance and the price wasn't bad. I worked independently a lot which was both a pro and a con. Pay higher than average for our part time management (third keys) and theres often room for growth up to an assistant or store manager position.

Cons

Upper management (district, regional etc) was not very hands on, perhaps in the higher volume stores but I would go weeks without having a proper conversation with my dm, which changed several times during my employment.

District managers should train store managers directly. COmmunication needs improvement.

Crappy Company

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a good place to start in retail, you meet great people, and its a fun environment.

Cons

Poor management. Too much pressure to push for sales when there's not enough business (depending on location) Crappy pay. Everything they train you on is rushed. You are often left alone to run the store so you have to act as a manager and take on all the responsibilities. Too many shoplifting incidents. Very disorganized management.

Take some time to train your employees without rushing. Increase the pay for everything the employees have to deal with.

A love hate relationship

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pay great benefits and holidays

Cons

Where do I start, too much tasking no matter how much you get done it's never enough. Horrible management treat you like crap and no matter how many Times you ask an upper level person to help they never do

Treat people to treat how you want to be treated

Great for Part-Time, Terrible for Full-Time

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome Store Discount (50% off) and you're always first to know when great sales are about to come up. It's a great starting point for someone who just needs a part-time position to get through High School or College. A very tight knit environment, I was friends with majority of the girls on staff. You get to learn how to pierce ears and I personally had a lot of return customers. The merchandise was cute, and working around kids is extremely fun. The benefits for Full-time positions are decent, they use to be amazing but they've dropped down to a different Insurance program. However, that's about all that's good about it.

Cons

Where to start?
    After being promoted to an Assistant Manager, you WILL get a "Manager Carrot" dangled in front of your nose to keep leading you around until you're so tired of "Oh, you'll get a store" that you stop caring about it at all. You'll be subjected to constant ridicule by Corporate and your DM no matter how much you try to please them. Signs will change nearly daily and if you happen to miss one little sign (out of the 30 they decided to have you change 30 minutes before you open), and your DM comes by, you'll get an ear-full. There's never enough hours to go around, and God forbid you get sick because you will very likely be by yourself for your entire eight hour shift without a break. 3rd keys (Part-time) are often put into situations that require Manager decisions, and they're expected to make those decisions with little to no help. Don't expect to ever make much money unless you're a store Manager, I personally have had LESS than a dollar raise in 3 years. Your raises will be based off of the store as a whole, so even if your numbers are phenomenal you will get barely anything (My "biggest" raise was .32 even though my number surpassed Company's)
    Too much is expected from our part-time girls, they barely make over minimum wage and they're expected to base their lives around this company, having many on-call shifts that are mostly not real shifts but are required by Company to be there. There's practically no hours that are given to the store to execute Planograms and floor-sets. We're expected to do about two days worth of work in twelve hours or less after the store is closed, oh and don't go over 40 hours as a Manager or an Assistant or Corporate will have your butt for it! You will be treated like the enemy, so don't try to go out of your way to do the "right" thing or else it might just backfire.

Start listening to your Store Managers and allow them to run their stores based on what's best. Realize that these people that work in your stores are just that; people. We do need time to execute these plans that you send and you need to give stores more hours so that your employees can meet your expectations. Pre-plan your sign changes and give them to the stores when they are complete so that we're not running around changing signs every day because you've changed your mind again. Promote the employees that want to be promoted, don't dangle empty promises in front of them because it gets old very fast.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!