Claire's Stores

Updated 18 September, 2014
2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Claires cute products

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager  in  Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

cute products, good work hours

Cons

not a lot to do some days, not great pay

pay better, give more creative freedom

The worst job i've ever had

Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% off but even then its overpriced low quality acccessories

Cons

Theres no training. At all. And you're expected to pierce ears (babies and young children included). No incentive to pierce. Ridiculous deadlines for planograms, markdowns. Closing is a real pain. Lots of paperwork and make sure not to take longer than the allocated time (which is hard when you're not getting any training), you won't get paid for the extra time. They give you on calls shifts (good luck making plans). DM are bullies, they will show up anytime and will expect you to suck up to them . . If you don't you can be sure she'll tell your manager. They have fabourites, if you're not one of them anything you do won't be good enough. Store is understaffed (it seems they can't retain their employees for some reasons) and the workload is way too high considering the barely above minimum wage. Not enough payroll, they will cut your hours. Or give you too much when an employee leaves (which happens frequently). High employee turnover. Low standards. They will hire you as a keyholder as long as you're over 18. They want you to stalk and harass customers constantly into buying while they're shopping. Yet again, no incentives. The company is so unorganized, the list goes on and on.

Don't work here!!

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

you get a pretty good discount of 50 percent off everything including clearance except when 10 for 10 is on and most of the time if you need a day off for an appointment or something theyll give it off

Cons

management is a joke. i worked there for 6 months and we went through 3 store managers, 2 assistant managers and several sales people/ third keys left too. i ended up having to work50-60 hours a week and then they finally hired a couple people and my hours were put down to like 15. the DM for calgary is really rude and demanding and she will change her mind about floor plans like 10 times and then get mad at you when you havent finished it because she keeps making you restart halfway through. she also tends to only hire store managers that she knows outside of work and she gossips with them and will go for smoke breaks constantly but then yell at you when you go to get a drink quickly. breaks are quite often a joke as well. you get a half hour if you work 5 hours or more which is fine except that the way they schedule you often have to go like an hour before the end of your shift if youre opening or like as soon as you get there basically if youre closing and half the time you dont even get it and no one seems to care. schedules are also supposed to be posted 2 weeks in advance but often arent even made until the day before. you are expected to get through at least like 3 to 5 huge boxes of earrings and things in just a few hours which is impossible with customers and ear piercings constantly walking into the store. birthday parties are a joke the one that i did the girl was like 12 and was way too old for it and was just miserable the whole time. and they barely give you any training on doing ear piercings. you just watch a dvd do a couple on a foam ear and then they let go right ahead on customers. dont ever get pierced at or work for claires.

the whole upper management needs to be replaced. you need people that care about thier employees and understand that we arent capable of doing 15 peoples work between like 3 people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

a work place with no challenge at all

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Toronto, ON

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

-no stress
    -don't get tired easily
    -get to learn how to do piercing
    -less annoying customers
    -full of kids
    -good store discounts

Cons

-old computer system
    -management knows nothing if computer goes wrong
    -the store I worked has 2 managers with poor managerial skills

upgrade that super old and slow computer system to make associates life easier
    and train managers and assistant managers well which includes their friendliness to employees and customers

If you're looking for a flashback of highschool drama and gossip, work here!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

merchandise discount of 50%
    paid sick and personal days
    vacation
    fashionable jewellery and accessories

Cons

Upper Management very condescending. Bullying was very common, and HR does not stand up for employee's rights. Lots of overtime, no lieu time or banked time for all of the extra time you put in. Very poor payroll and coverage, therefore working alone almost all of the time. Lots of tasks they want completed, along with 100% customer service, while answering the phone and piercing ears, all at th same time... WHILE WORKING ALONE :) Unrealistic expectations. Lots of highschool drama and gossip. Internal theft is huge, investigators always brought in to interrigate staff. Constant threat of a "CORPORATE VISIT" although it never actually happens. This is code for "work for free, prep the stores, in case they decide to come." All around, unprofessional atmosphere. More people off on stress leave in this company than actually at work, gee- I wonder why? The company appears to be managed very differently than how it was managed in prior years. Would not wish my worst enemy to work in this environment. Oh, and they pay their manager's very poorly... for a "mid-volume" manager, expect to make about $30K. If you go to work in clothing, you can make this as an assistant manager! Company seems unstable, went through a massive downsizing a year ago, terminating half of the district managers and regional managers... you never know what's next.

Respect for people might be something you consider adding to a regular store visit.
    Work/life balance actually makes people more productive while they're at work- what a concept!
    If you take away all of the employee incentives (such as service awards, etc...) why would ppl stay?
    Turnover seems to be excessive right now... we've lost almost all of the DM's, and the RM? Is the company actually looking into this to find out why all of these ppl left and were so unhappy in their jobs? Does the company care? Lack of leadership leads to a lack of focus to the business. Claire's will continue to settle for inexperienced entry level store managers unless the company decides to rethink the pay scales. HR is a useless department, all talk, no action! What has HR done for the store staff lately?

Claire's is a fun environment to work in but it gets tiring after a while.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best things you acquire from Claire's is maturity and personal growth due to all of the responsibilities they leave you with. Starting pay for a third key holder was a bit above average and the employee discount is great!

Cons

District managers aren't the best, very demanding but not very helpful. Although starting pay is good, raises for hard work aren't really given. The amount of vacation time given to the employees who are not managers sucks.Corporate does so many promo changes too frequently and it becomes stressful for employees.

With the amount of responsibility each employee has I believe that raises should be given every so often to all employees who show good progress.

Fast-paced and Fun Retail Atmosphere

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tupelo, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tupelo, MS (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

All of my co-workers were like one big family, for inexperienced associates the pay was better than minimum wage, as long as we requested off enough in advance the time was granted, nice employee discount, good communication built between store associates and district manager

Cons

The store gets very busy at time while being the only one working, the inventory scheduling as well as some planograms went over-night for the asm and sm, a lot of shoplifting, piercing ears of kids who do not want their ears pierced is awful, the pos system frequently was frozen and we were ordering new hardware (printer, credit card machine, etc..) every other week, and as asm I would would some 8 hour shifts alone with no relief for a break

The scheduling could be approved all around. There were not enough hours given to schedule efficiently. I would find myself staying over-night working on plan-on-gram, mark-downs, and inventory. Sometimes to keep from going over on the clock, but in order to get things done the manager and I would stay on our own time off the clock so that we could get things done that we couldn't during the day due to customer traffic. We were also not given enough hours to schedule breaks for those working 8+ hour shifts. I would sometimes work a 12 hour shift without a break due to the few employees we had there since we were limited on hires.

Decent Company

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Conroe, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Conroe, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good first job
    Meeting different types of people
    Having co-workers around your age
    Decent hours

Cons

Not enough pay
    Closing by yourself
    No benefits

Listen to our helpful advice we may not know everything but we have a better idea of what the customer wants that you may have

Love & Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

40 hour week, as a store manager you get paid overtime if you work over 40 hours, Fun environment, upper management paid well, company values, vacation time, sick time & personal time, most holidays off.

Cons

High volume=low payroll, 40 hr wk, because you get paid overtime if you work more than 40 hr, if you are busy with customers then you can't stay to work more to finish tasks, unless you are off the clock which is a no no.......

give your store more payroll, I know if had more time to schedule more overlapping coverage besides the weekends, then we wouldn't fall behind so easily.

Fine for starting off in retail..

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% Discount
    Management was easy to get a long with

Cons

Late Mall hours
    Part-time employees have their hours cut drastically during the slow season

Those who do their job well should be secured hours

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!