Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy(in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look(in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone(in 28 reviews)

Claires cute products

Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

Proscute products, good work hours

Consnot a lot to do some days, not great pay

Advice to Senior Managementpay better, give more creative freedom

Don't work here!!

Third Key Holder (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

Prosyou get a pretty good discount of 50 percent off everything including clearance except when 10 for 10 is on and most of the time if you need a day off for an appointment or something theyll give it off

Consmanagement is a joke. i worked there for 6 months and we went through 3 store managers, 2 assistant managers and several sales people/ third keys left too. i ended up having to work50-60 hours a week and then they finally hired a couple people and my hours were put down to like 15. the DM for calgary is really rude and demanding and she will change her mind about floor plans like 10 times and then get mad at you when you havent finished it because she keeps making you restart halfway through. she also tends to only hire store managers that she knows outside of work and she gossips with them and will go for smoke breaks constantly but then yell at you when you go to get a drink quickly. breaks are quite often a joke as well. you get a half hour if you work 5 hours or more which is fine except that the way they schedule you often have to go like an hour before the end of your shift if youre opening or like as soon as you get there basically if youre closing and half the time you dont even get it and no one seems to care. schedules are also supposed to be posted 2 weeks in advance but often arent even made until the day before. you are expected to get through at least like 3 to 5 huge boxes of earrings and things in just a few hours which is impossible with customers and ear piercings constantly walking into the store. birthday parties are a joke the one that i did the girl was like 12 and was way too old for it and was just miserable the whole time. and they barely give you any training on doing ear piercings. you just watch a dvd do a couple on a foam ear and then they let go right ahead on customers. dont ever get pierced at or work for claires.

Advice to Senior Managementthe whole upper management needs to be replaced. you need people that care about thier employees and understand that we arent capable of doing 15 peoples work between like 3 people.

a work place with no challenge at all

Third Key Holder (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros-no stress
    -don't get tired easily
    -get to learn how to do piercing
    -less annoying customers
    -full of kids
    -good store discounts

Cons-old computer system
    -management knows nothing if computer goes wrong
    -the store I worked has 2 managers with poor managerial skills

Advice to Senior Managementupgrade that super old and slow computer system to make associates life easier
    and train managers and assistant managers well which includes their friendliness to employees and customers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you're looking for a flashback of highschool drama and gossip, work here!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

Prosmerchandise discount of 50%
    paid sick and personal days
    vacation
    fashionable jewellery and accessories

ConsUpper Management very condescending. Bullying was very common, and HR does not stand up for employee's rights. Lots of overtime, no lieu time or banked time for all of the extra time you put in. Very poor payroll and coverage, therefore working alone almost all of the time. Lots of tasks they want completed, along with 100% customer service, while answering the phone and piercing ears, all at th same time... WHILE WORKING ALONE :) Unrealistic expectations. Lots of highschool drama and gossip. Internal theft is huge, investigators always brought in to interrigate staff. Constant threat of a "CORPORATE VISIT" although it never actually happens. This is code for "work for free, prep the stores, in case they decide to come." All around, unprofessional atmosphere. More people off on stress leave in this company than actually at work, gee- I wonder why? The company appears to be managed very differently than how it was managed in prior years. Would not wish my worst enemy to work in this environment. Oh, and they pay their manager's very poorly... for a "mid-volume" manager, expect to make about $30K. If you go to work in clothing, you can make this as an assistant manager! Company seems unstable, went through a massive downsizing a year ago, terminating half of the district managers and regional managers... you never know what's next.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect for people might be something you consider adding to a regular store visit.
    Work/life balance actually makes people more productive while they're at work- what a concept!
    If you take away all of the employee incentives (such as service awards, etc...) why would ppl stay?
    Turnover seems to be excessive right now... we've lost almost all of the DM's, and the RM? Is the company actually looking into this to find out why all of these ppl left and were so unhappy in their jobs? Does the company care? Lack of leadership leads to a lack of focus to the business. Claire's will continue to settle for inexperienced entry level store managers unless the company decides to rethink the pay scales. HR is a useless department, all talk, no action! What has HR done for the store staff lately?

Great place to work if you don't mind the kids

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey promote within and is often encouraged if performance is consistent.
    Great potential for Bonus during Christmas season. Employee discount is half off almost everything except piercing.

ConsDifficult to maintain school and work schedule if in management. 80 percent of the time, work schedule is priority over requests again if in management. Sales associates have more flexbility in their schedule but is dependent on the black out periods. Unrealistic deadlines are set for Plano grams in high volume stores over and over again.

Advice to Senior ManagementMonthly training or seminars would be great for managers to maintain company image.

Not a flexible Company to Work with

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsEasy work/task, little supervision, don't have to work off of comission

ConsWorking every single weekend fri & sat, no exceptions, little pay, little room for growth

They Expect A lot for Very Little

ProsWorking with great people
    Great discount
    Easy dress code

ConsWorking alone frequently
    Piercing ears (no extra pay and you have to juggle other tasks during piercing)
    Management is very involved (there are pm visits and the DM often emails expecting response and sometimes use of texts to interact)
    No breaks (good luck if you are a human being who occasionally eats or pees)
    Monthly planogram changes/markdowns/ect
    Busy work
    Customers/normal retail gripes

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect so much from us. Let us have five minutes of downtime! Also, let us have some incentive for piercing...like putting out a tip jar or even giving us an additional discount on top of our employee discount. ANYTHING
    Also, if you combined icing and claires you could keep the same staff, save on retail space costs, and not have us on single coverage so often/have lower shrink
    Just my opinion...

I grew to really like it!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsFun atmosphere, great manager and people to work with.

ConsSingle coverage, stressful workload,

Advice to Senior ManagementMore sales floor coverage please!

Good for a first time job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThis is a wonderful first job to have. You learn a lot about customer service and how to keep a store organized. They have one of the best employee discounts I've ever heard off which was 50% off at the time. There is no such thing as training. They just showed me a video while I sat on the floor and then they just showed me how to work the register and that was it.

ConsThere are no benefits, at least for sales associates there aren't. There is a lot of work to do and you have to keep moving even when there is no one in the store. There is always something to do. The pay is not great at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your sales associates more. They're the ones that do all the work.

Good company, terribly DM

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsI became a SM in a MD store. Very fun job if you jewelry. Lots of fun things to do. Good people, if you find them. Really not a bad place if your looking for something to do, there is always something to do.

ConsThe district manager does anything she want and if it's not her way she turns I to a child and get mad. She picks favorites, and is completely oblivious to things they are doing because they are her favorite stores. Also she thinks it's ok to cuss (yes F word and everything) you out if you don't do what SHE wants.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop favoring someone who clearly isn't doing their job.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!