Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros:
  • "You get a great employee discount because they want u to wear the merchandise"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look"
    in 24 reviews
  • "SCANDALOUS upper management (including a certain District Manager for Illinois District 6"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Claires cute products

Retail Store Manager (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Proscute products, good work hours

Consnot a lot to do some days, not great pay

Advice to Senior Managementpay better, give more creative freedom

a work place with no challenge at all

Third Key Holder (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros-no stress
-don't get tired easily
-get to learn how to do piercing
-less annoying customers
-full of kids
-good store discounts

Cons-old computer system
-management knows nothing if computer goes wrong
-the store I worked has 2 managers with poor managerial skills

Advice to Senior Managementupgrade that super old and slow computer system to make associates life easier
and train managers and assistant managers well which includes their friendliness to employees and customers

If you're looking for a flashback of highschool drama and gossip, work here!

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Prosmerchandise discount of 50%
paid sick and personal days
vacation
fashionable jewellery and accessories

ConsUpper Management very condescending. Bullying was very common, and HR does not stand up for employee's rights. Lots of overtime, no lieu time or banked time for all of the extra time you put in. Very poor payroll and coverage, therefore working alone almost all of the time. Lots of tasks they want completed, along with 100% customer service, while answering the phone and piercing ears, all at th same time... WHILE WORKING ALONE :) Unrealistic expectations. Lots of highschool drama and gossip. Internal theft is huge, investigators always brought in to interrigate staff. Constant threat of a "CORPORATE VISIT" although it never actually happens. This is code for "work for free, prep the stores, in case they decide to come." All around, unprofessional atmosphere. More people off on stress leave in this company than actually at work, gee- I wonder why? The company appears to be managed very differently than how it was managed in prior years. Would not wish my worst enemy to work in this environment. Oh, and they pay their manager's very poorly... for a "mid-volume" manager, expect to make about $30K. If you go to work in clothing, you can make this as an assistant manager! Company seems unstable, went through a massive downsizing a year ago, terminating half of the district managers and regional managers... you never know what's next.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect for people might be something you consider adding to a regular store visit.
Work/life balance actually makes people more productive while they're at work- what a concept!
If you take away all of the employee incentives (such as service awards, etc...) why would ppl stay?
Turnover seems to be excessive right now... we've lost almost all of the DM's, and the RM? Is the company actually looking into this to find out why all of these ppl left and were so unhappy in their jobs? Does the company care? Lack of leadership leads to a lack of focus to the business. Claire's will continue to settle for inexperienced entry level store managers unless the company decides to rethink the pay scales. HR is a useless department, all talk, no action! What has HR done for the store staff lately?

Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat mobility. Always an opportunity to move up. Gives store managers good ownership and ability to be creative in processes.

ConsTight payroll, corporate isn't quite in touch with the problems in store.

Fun and Exciting!

Aberdeen, SD (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsWorked with some great people!

ConsNot much communication from above

Intensive

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
The Woodlands, TX (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsGet 50% off everything in stores. Friendly people. Nice working environment (sometimes)

ConsTraining, ear piercing, organization of the store. Can be stressful at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave little competitions between sales associates during the week. This will help motivate everyone while working.

LOVED THIS JOB

Third Key (Former Employee)
Bend, OR (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Prossmall team of co-workers so we were like a family, it was easy to sell the stuff cause is was inexpensive and fun stuff. Plenty of opportunity for advancement. the employee discount was the BEST.

Consthere was a bit of a disconnect between our store and the higher ups in the company, our district manager would sweep in and give us her "solutions" to our problems and just expect the numbers to magically change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe make it easier to transfer? I would still be working for Claire's, but i moved to another state and the store here wouldn't even consider me cause they had a full staff, I wouldve liked the change to meet the team and be put on an on call staus maybe, to help out when needed, I loved the company.

Tough workplace!

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are not manu pros for this company. You do get company car, computer, cellphone. Mostly 9-5 work schedule.

Conseverything! Low pay for store managers, little training, low workforce payroll, large shipments, low retention, cut-throat upper management.

"Fun atmosphere with tedious work and minimal compensation"

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers create a great with environment. Lots of hands-on training and you get a great experience with learning a new skill. There is always a joy when you can make a little girl feel like a princess!

ConsOutdated policy and procedures and with a busy high-volume store there is not enough hours provided to keep up with freight. When you are alone in your store and it gets busy it's difficult to deter shoplifters. Also the company should compensate the employees better and give opportunity for advancement within the company beyond SM.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation is definitely needed to retain great people, also showing an employee appreciation would also be nice.

Not great, in fact, bad

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsGood discount, if you really want to buy cheap, easily broken,and within a month discolored and worthless costume jewelry

ConsIncredibly high turnover, low pay, minimal bonus potential, snobby upper management, often on single coverage, very young clientielle (i.e. women will leave their children in the store for babysitting) overall unreasonably high expectations from store management without support from upper management... and... piercing. My whole experience with this job was extraordinarily horrible. Unless you know in your heart that you don't deserve this job and that you could probably never do much, much better... never work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement shouldn't expect that a store should do a floor planogram move, a promotion change, and clearance markdowns all in the same week. (along with shipment arriving every single day and interviews and hiring and training all the time due to the extremely high turnover due to the very low pay"

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Claire's Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding. All 244 reviews are posted anonymously by Claire's Stores employees.