Claire's Stores

Updated 3 March, 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

They don't pay you for the extra time it takes you to close ( you have to do the most bizarre detailed closing)

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

50% off employee discount and it's good if your store is small (not too much cleaning)

Cons

Closing takes too long.. Back room is always a mess

Atleast pay them for 45 minutes after closing not 30 minutes. No one can finish in 30 minutes

Learning Experience

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn the ropes of retail and move up within the store team if you are a hard working individual.

Cons

High employee turnover in stores, low allocation of payroll hours and poor work-life balance for salaried members of management.

A wonderful self building experience. Great company for individuals attending school.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing employee discount on all product offered. Great work experience as there is a lot to b done by individuals each and every shift. Even though it is a retail accessory store it is not commission based in any way! Small group of staff makes it easier to be friendly with one another, and have a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Only management receives full time hours for most stores. Bonuses are 100% based on sales goals for a 13 week period instead of monthly like many other companies, and is only given to ASM and SM's. (likewise inventory bonuses). The only way for team members to move up is if they either move for openings or if hire management leaves.

The worst job i've ever had

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

50% off but even then its overpriced low quality acccessories

Cons

Theres no training. At all. And you're expected to pierce ears (babies and young children included). No incentive to pierce. Ridiculous deadlines for planograms, markdowns. Closing is a real pain. Lots of paperwork and make sure not to take longer than the allocated time (which is hard when you're not getting any training), you won't get paid for the extra time. They give you on calls shifts (good luck making plans). DM are bullies, they will show up anytime and will expect you to suck up to them . . If you don't you can be sure she'll tell your manager. They have fabourites, if you're not one of them anything you do won't be good enough. Store is understaffed (it seems they can't retain their employees for some reasons) and the workload is way too high considering the barely above minimum wage. Not enough payroll, they will cut your hours. Or give you too much when an employee leaves (which happens frequently). High employee turnover. Low standards. They will hire you as a keyholder as long as you're over 18. They want you to stalk and harass customers constantly into buying while they're shopping. Yet again, no incentives. The company is so unorganized, the list goes on and on.

Don't work here!!

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

you get a pretty good discount of 50 percent off everything including clearance except when 10 for 10 is on and most of the time if you need a day off for an appointment or something theyll give it off

Cons

management is a joke. i worked there for 6 months and we went through 3 store managers, 2 assistant managers and several sales people/ third keys left too. i ended up having to work50-60 hours a week and then they finally hired a couple people and my hours were put down to like 15. the DM for calgary is really rude and demanding and she will change her mind about floor plans like 10 times and then get mad at you when you havent finished it because she keeps making you restart halfway through. she also tends to only hire store managers that she knows outside of work and she gossips with them and will go for smoke breaks constantly but then yell at you when you go to get a drink quickly. breaks are quite often a joke as well. you get a half hour if you work 5 hours or more which is fine except that the way they schedule you often have to go like an hour before the end of your shift if youre opening or like as soon as you get there basically if youre closing and half the time you dont even get it and no one seems to care. schedules are also supposed to be posted 2 weeks in advance but often arent even made until the day before. you are expected to get through at least like 3 to 5 huge boxes of earrings and things in just a few hours which is impossible with customers and ear piercings constantly walking into the store. birthday parties are a joke the one that i did the girl was like 12 and was way too old for it and was just miserable the whole time. and they barely give you any training on doing ear piercings. you just watch a dvd do a couple on a foam ear and then they let go right ahead on customers. dont ever get pierced at or work for claires.

the whole upper management needs to be replaced. you need people that care about thier employees and understand that we arent capable of doing 15 peoples work between like 3 people.

Claires cute products

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

cute products, good work hours

Cons

not a lot to do some days, not great pay

pay better, give more creative freedom

a work place with no challenge at all

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Toronto, ON

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-no stress
    -don't get tired easily
    -get to learn how to do piercing
    -less annoying customers
    -full of kids
    -good store discounts

Cons

-old computer system
    -management knows nothing if computer goes wrong
    -the store I worked has 2 managers with poor managerial skills

upgrade that super old and slow computer system to make associates life easier
    and train managers and assistant managers well which includes their friendliness to employees and customers

If you're looking for a flashback of highschool drama and gossip, work here!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

merchandise discount of 50%
    paid sick and personal days
    vacation
    fashionable jewellery and accessories

Cons

Upper Management very condescending. Bullying was very common, and HR does not stand up for employee's rights. Lots of overtime, no lieu time or banked time for all of the extra time you put in. Very poor payroll and coverage, therefore working alone almost all of the time. Lots of tasks they want completed, along with 100% customer service, while answering the phone and piercing ears, all at th same time... WHILE WORKING ALONE :) Unrealistic expectations. Lots of highschool drama and gossip. Internal theft is huge, investigators always brought in to interrigate staff. Constant threat of a "CORPORATE VISIT" although it never actually happens. This is code for "work for free, prep the stores, in case they decide to come." All around, unprofessional atmosphere. More people off on stress leave in this company than actually at work, gee- I wonder why? The company appears to be managed very differently than how it was managed in prior years. Would not wish my worst enemy to work in this environment. Oh, and they pay their manager's very poorly... for a "mid-volume" manager, expect to make about $30K. If you go to work in clothing, you can make this as an assistant manager! Company seems unstable, went through a massive downsizing a year ago, terminating half of the district managers and regional managers... you never know what's next.

Respect for people might be something you consider adding to a regular store visit.
    Work/life balance actually makes people more productive while they're at work- what a concept!
    If you take away all of the employee incentives (such as service awards, etc...) why would ppl stay?
    Turnover seems to be excessive right now... we've lost almost all of the DM's, and the RM? Is the company actually looking into this to find out why all of these ppl left and were so unhappy in their jobs? Does the company care? Lack of leadership leads to a lack of focus to the business. Claire's will continue to settle for inexperienced entry level store managers unless the company decides to rethink the pay scales. HR is a useless department, all talk, no action! What has HR done for the store staff lately?

Great place to work at in general, but management does require more experience.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Horseheads, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Horseheads, NY (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The other employee's are great to work with and you get to meet a lot of unique people. Because Claire's is an international company, working there looks great on resume's. The work, while sometimes a lot, makes time go by faster. There are a lot of leadership opportunities as well. I'm a third key for one of the stores, which is part of the management team. Recently I have also been put in charge of our store's Celebrate program. Not only do I get to plan out celebrations for our staff and fun dress up days, I get to book parties in our store for customers who want to come in an hour before opening or after closing. I've also begun working on networking for our store by getting touch with other businesses' about promotions, displays and the like. Which again, looks amazing on resumes. Not to mention the interstore relations. If there is something at your store no one knows the answer to, you have access to dozens of other Claire's stores who will have an answer.

Cons

The only con's I can really think of is that for training, we were not given training hours. Instead, all of our training was done while assisting customers, meaning that it was broken up a lot and not all in order.

My advice to management would be to work on training hours, and that weather does have a huge impact on sales.

I worked at Claire's as a part time during college

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get the hang of things fairly quickly and are trained to pierce. They can be flexible with hours for those still in school. There are also opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The schedule is never consistent and people are in and out all the time. It can also get pretty repetitive at times so you need to be innovative and find things to keep you busy on slow days. Also, people want to bring their entire families when piercing a baby...be prepared.

Claire's Stores Photos