Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy(in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look(in 29 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone(in 28 reviews)

Pretty good

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsThe people there are usually pretty chill and friendly

ConsThe long hours, rude customers, crying children.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way ear piercings are set up. There should not be a minimum ADS to do ear piercings because that is what boosts up one's ADS

Overall it's ok, just corporate can be a pain.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Westbrook, CT (US)

ProsDress code is nice, the product is fun, co-workers are generally pleasant.

ConsCorporate sets goals, which is understandable, but some of them are out of my control and you'll get reprimanded for it.

it was fun in the beginning until you start to see how the business is run

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA (US)

Prospeople are friendly, employee discount is awesome, benefits/401k are good. being in the store alone its kind of like running your own store

Conswages, black out periods, piercing kids/babies ears. training was a 50/50 they teach you and of course you learn on your own

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to grow with

Store Manager (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL (US)

ProsI loved working for the company. It has great products and is all over the world, so not impossible to move to another location and continue working. It is slowly catching up technology wise with the rest of big businesses, which is great. Bonus opportunities, lots of company contests and perks for excellent performance. I've learned a lot with this company that has made me successful at other jobs as well.

ConsDepending on who your manager is, it may be hard to continue growing with the company beyond store level. Limited hours in the store means you work alone often. Work load can be heavy too, especially when working alone. Ear piercing like crazy too, some customers are just not fun having to do this with all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp those who want to advance move into positions to do so, or else they just get bored and want to leave after being used and ignored in a store level position.

Amazing

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee) Great Falls, MT (US)

ProsLove to work with people, make great friends, it's hard work and challenging, something new everyday!

ConsThe black out(non vacation times) periods are many, pay is not the best, hard to understand the business due to micro-managing.

Advice to Senior Managementunderstand the business as much as possible and accept the fact that you will have no control over much of the business.

RUN AWAY- RETAIL NIGHTMARE HERE

Store Manager (Former Employee) Newark, DE (US)

ProsIt is a job, I guess....That is really about all anyone can say for it. Benefits are offered but good look affording them.

ConsToo many silly time consuming tasks, no breaks- even to pee, staff is provided and all just children, company ceo quit so headquarters is a joke, company is in bad shape financially

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out while you still can

Claire's is a great retail company.. if you dont mind a bit of hard work and retail hours.

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI was promoted from a 3rd key holder to a Assistant Manager to Manager in just over 3 years. I felt they acknowledged my hard work and promoted accordingly. All my managers were always wonderful. I loved my manager as a 3rd key and Assistant, as well as my district manager as a Store Manager. I felt I was very well trained and the responsabilities matched the pay. As an employee, I felt very empowered with the provided resources on site to correct whatever I needed to. Weather it be step by step how to do a certain transation, or how to put out freight. If you are willing to put a little pep in your step and not sit around all day, this a wonderful company to work for.

ConsThe hours are typical retail hours, even for store managers. Even though we made our stores own schedules, we were required to work certain days, close a certain amount of days, work every Saturday and 1 Sunday a month. This wouldn't neccessarily be bad, but each week was different. It was hard to plan anything personal ahead of time because you didn't know if you would have to work or not. Time off was also difficult to take because they had a ton of 'blackout' dates in which you couldn't use your vacation. These dates coincided with Spring breaks, Holidays, and general busy seasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore availability of time to use vacation hours. A consistent schedule for all employees for a more even personal/work life balance.

Fun Store, Wonderful Discounts, and Lots to do!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Kennewick, WA (US)

ProsSeeing new products, having fun teammates, having a 50% discount at both Claire's and Icing, and it's really laid-back!

Cons(If you're just a Sales Associate, like me) Hours are hard to come by, and there can be some drama considering everyone is a girl.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love my manager, she's really made our store pretty much the highest in all of the company. One thing I would ask is to try to work in more hours for Sale Associates. I really can't complain at all.

Definitely not for everyone

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsManagerial experience on your resume. Paid time off is decent-2wks your fIrst year and 32 hours personal. DBm rarely visits so no problems with walking on eggshells. You will learn how to set a store over and over again. Almost feels like yoyr own store as you will work solo 90% of your shifts. Easy enough job. Ear piercing can be fun.

ConsSalary is ridiculous! Fight for your salary don't let the supposed bonus deter you from negotiating a higher salary. Expect to work every Friday and Saturday. You can request it off but it is a requirement of the job. Basically you will be told on a weekly basis what days you can have of as the Store Manager. DM decides if your schedule is suitable and will approve/decline the schedule after the week has already started. You will have no direct contact with corporate; they have 'gatekeepers' called Claire's Support; they are pretty rude customer service reps. Some do not have restrooms in their store so that can be an issue. POS is antiquated and some kind of break down on a daily our weekly basis. No outside communication - you can only email your DM. Sales goal are over the top. Claire's is very reactionary and slow at that - economy has gone down but had taken 3 years to lessen inventory purchases - they waste a lot off merchandise moving to clearance and shipping out to 3rd parties. Merchandise is pretty much crap - don't expect quality or for anything to last.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Learn the real trends in fashion - no one is wearing suspenders on the daily so stop spending money on Russia amounts of unnecessary and unwanted accessories. Get someone in the CEO position that knows how to find what sells and purchase tge right amount of stock. Allow Store Managers to truly drive their business. More flexibility to schedule and meet the needs of their store.

Corporate Office: Small Company, Lots Of Drama

Merchandise Planner (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

ProsLots of exposure to senior management; almost everyone is friendly & easy to work with; good work-life balance vs. other larger retailers; if you're OK not advancing beyond Buyer/Planner level this is a good place to make a career

ConsMinimal training, depending on your position - if you don't already know what you're doing you're going to struggle; limited advancement beyond Buyer/Planner level; Claire's hires a lot of people who are fresh out of college, which can create a LOT of drama on the floor that makes it more like a soap opera vs. a corporate office; lots of turnover within senior management from 2012-2014

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove training for new hires; expand advancement opportunities beyond Buyer/Planner level - don't always "go outside" to find new people

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!