Citizens Financial Group Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated 13 August, 2014

2.5

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met (in 25 reviews)

• Good Benefits and a changing work environment that's friendly to employees to attract talent (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance and that's not what is going on (in 13 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Malden, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Malden, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefit package, Community based company

Cons

Need to add more balance in co-workers social meeting or events

Keep up the good work, work on giving better raises/bonuses

Good management and competitive pay

Former Employee - Teller Manager  in  Quincy, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller Manager in Quincy, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I always enjoyed the people I worked with. I was pretty satisfied with my pay and my time off.

Cons

I know some people who didn't have as good a relationship with their managers and coworkers as I did. It is also a very intense sales environment. You are expected to try and sell a product to every customer you help.

Frustrating and disappointing

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager II  in  Quincy, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager II in Quincy, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers for the most part, benefits package is decent. Expense reimbursement used to be nice...

Cons

Lo-tech, counter-productive, penny-pinchers who have no clear values or mission statement.

Stop hiring unqualified employees and you wouldn't need CEP

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Risk Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Risk Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have experienced stupendous professional growth in this firm. My managers have always been most supportive of my advancement, and promotions have been forthcoming appropriately.

Cons

With the upcoming IPO, things have been a bit hectic and rudderless. It seems like there is a goal to get all of the terrible ideas implemented before the IPO

It would be nice if we didn't change everything just for the sake of changing everything. It's frustrating that some of the changes have been implemented without much thought or input.

Good place to start, but have to move on to move up.

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Rochester, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Rochester, NH (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good introduction to banking industry.
    Benefits/Salary are ok for not requiring much experience.
    Some opportunity to grow if you put in your own effort to really learn the product line and banking areas.

Cons

Limited potential for promotion in the retail banking sector.
    Pressure to sell banking products can sometimes lead to bad customer service.
    Working with unqualified/uninformed Bankers, sale people only.

It is all in who you know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits, career opportunities for starting your career, coworkers are wonderful people

Cons

too tied to Royal Bank of Scotland - IPO coming, everything is about the bottom line.

Hearts in the right place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great, smart people who are always trying to do their best for each other and customers. The company does a very good job of hiring the right people but sometimes gets lost in how to measure success and communicate a cohesive strategy that everyone understands and will follow.

Cons

Many, many shifting and confusing priorities. It's hard to deliver against a plan when you know it's going to change. Even senior management seems to be "stuck" when determining how to properly prioritize...the "deliver everything" attitude is hard to follow and somewhat unrealistic.

Simplify goals and then measure against them. Don't just roll-out new priorities before you have told us how we have done against the old ones. Also, when you decide something is not working just tell your colleagues. Great leaders deliver both good news and bad new equally.

Great place to challenge yourself

Current Employee - Several  in  Dedham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Several in Dedham, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to innovate. Organization looked to marketing to drive the organization forward. Ideas encouraged at all levels. I had flexibility with my schedule so I could balance my childrens' schedules.

Cons

Was starting to get very corporate and political.

Overall a quality organization, but too bureaucratic

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, lots of education and training opportunities, enlightened view of work/life balance for a big company

Cons

Outdated technology tools, overly complex organization that makes it difficult to get answers/ find information

Invest in current hardware/software tools, streamline decision making processes

lack of customer service and colleague focus and aggressive sales culture not sustainable for long term growth.

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you get the right branch, your Branch Manager and colleagues can be awesome to work with. Branch Managers are expected to micromanage and report how they do so and the results. There is a unity from this that shows that everyone is working together to wrap our heads around what it is that the bank expects of everyone. If you know how to sell and comply with the bank's sales model, the incentive plan is great as long you over index and manage your sales to maintain a high percentage to goal. Work life balance is rarely an issue only if the branch's QTD sales numbers are met. Vacation time is great and the ability to utilize it is excellent and without question unless there are the occasional black out dates. Typical bank hours for traditional branches unless you work for an in-store branch then you're opened 7 days per week including holidays. Training is constant and provides valuable skill sets that help you push yourself in your current position. Citizens Bank is progressing into a more modern style of banking through new teller systems, ATMs, and debit cards however is still behind with online banking innovations and personal banker systems. This is a good stepping stone that will help you realize the direction you want to take your career.

Cons

If you are placed in the wrong branch, your life will be miserable because there are Branch Managers who have minimal experience in management and are very poor at coaching and supporting their team. Lots of opportunities available but there is a defined glass ceiling when you try to advance or completely satisfy the customer. Branch Managers who do not support their team to the best of their ability have the pattern of making your career objections a dream and know it is very easy to cut you off at the knees if you apply for an internal position. Citizens Bank is minimally focused on building genuine relationships when compared to how focused they are with sales. There is a hint of 'not being good enough' in through out branches and it is discouraging to those who remember banking as being centered around maintaining customer relationships. There's incentive for new customers to join the bank but very little for existing customers to keep doing business with us unless they regularly bring new deposits to the bank. Heavy utilization of the phone is required and enters the realm of telemarketing. Many question the bank's understanding of lead generation being that there are regular customers who appear on multiple marketing lists and very few unknown customers provided to branch's for sales opportunities. There needs to be more done to ensure customers are not badgered for sales over the phone and in person. Senior Management seems to have lost touch with reality and seems to have a lack of understanding when they expect branches to continuously generate revenue but then mandates a sales process that takes the momentum out of achieving a sale.

It's cheaper for the bank and more sustainable to maintain, strengthen, and to give incentives to existing customers to keep banking with Citizens Bank than it is to continuously be prospecting and selling to new customers. Realize that customers can say no if they do not want a product, it does no good to beat a dead horse and continue to push the sale. Remember, Citizens Bank is a financial institution who has an obligation to its customer to maintain their discretion and privacy. Restrain from becoming a telemarketing and/or sales company. Actively listen to colleagues and show your appreciation for them. The turnover is unacceptable and directly impacts a customer's loyalty to Citizens Bank when they have to familiarize them self with a new face. Be a big bank with a small bank's mentality.

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!