Citi

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.1 2,491 reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat

Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company (in 193 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the greatest asset working here was the Work Life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money (in 113 reviews)

More Highlights
2,491 Employee Reviews

Good place to start

Software Developer (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsCan work independently
    Flexible work hours
    Training opportunities are easy to find
    Easy to approach people for technical questions
    Encourages the use of many new technologies

ConsLack of social interaction
    Office layout just crams as many people into an area as possible
    Everything requires permissions
    Management tries to cut costs whereever possible

Advice to Senior ManagementShowing your employees that you value them is what keeps employees around. It is not a surprise that all of the talent does not stay, because there is usually little incentive to.

Improve your skills and social life but not your career

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to meet a lot of new people. Good social life and lots of events going on. Central location. Canteen, shop, coffee shop and gym in the building. Well-known global company which is good to have on your resume. Can move around to different teams/departments quite easily.

ConsToo much overtime and not enough staff on certain teams while other teams in same department are fully-staffed and go home on time every day. Favouritism is very evident. Career progression only seems happens for the staff who are outspoken and friends with the managers. Management/supervision and team structure changes too much to see any benefits. Some outdated systems. Social club events seem to get worse every year. I got my first payrise after 5 years and I still left a few months later as I'd had enough of the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't decide who is getting promoted before you even read the appraisals the emplyees go to the effort of writing. Ensure the one-to-one sessions actually happen. Make work/life balance a priority.

Worst firm I've ever seen

Advanced Technology Associate (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsPaycheck to pay your bills... really nothing more

ConsToo many to list, it is the worst firm I've ever worked for. Working there were the worst days of my life!
    To list some problems and I mean some, because listing all cons will requires a book:
    1. Toxic culture with no values or respect
    2. A joke unqualified HR
    3. Managers were selected and promoted based on the degree of social psychopathy
    4. Too many managers, more managers than employees (mostly in New York)
    5. Disconnected from the business and management in New York
    6. Office was calling centre crowded with no space to move
    7. Hiring and promotion decisions based on the origins/race not qualifications

Advice to Senior ManagementThe entire firm needs a management shakeup

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Citi...stay away!

I T Business Technical Specialist (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere were some good people, but due to downsizing a lot of people are leaving. My manager was solid.

ConsToo many to list, no communication, internal hiring process is a joke, HR is non responsive, did I mention the downsizing? No one seems to know what is going on, or they don't care...affecting over all morale of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry communicating with your employees. Don't push corporate policies that you obviously don't believe in..

Finance Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Helpful managers and co-workers who were willing to give me opportunities to learn
    - Low hours and low stress; internship did not have any high stressed tasks

Cons- Tasks got boring very quickly and were not intellectually stimulating
    - Back office so the exposure to external clients was limited

Just OK

ProsGood name on CV. Good learning if you work in the right team with the right people. Culture is professional but somewhat uptight.

ConsLots of red tapes. High turnover. Company very stringent on any type of spending as it is still recovering from financial crisis. Not somewhere you would look if you want good benefits.

Seasoned company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosglobal reach and international opportunities

ConsVery slow and bureaucratic, not corporative, slow HR

Lots of opportunity for motivated employees

ProsCiti is global and in many financial businesses, so there is a lot of opportunity to have a challenging and fulfilling career. Citi has wonderful and knowledgeable staff and management.

ConsNegotiate a good salary upfront, because annual raises do not always cover cost of living increases, even for top performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to be able to compensate your top employees. There is a lack of flexibility in the annual performance process which leaves many employees disgruntled.

Waiting for results

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsInteresting challenges and learning opportunities

ConsDifficult to move up, top heavy with management

Advice to Senior Managementreward employees based on merit not favouritism

Dynamic environment, innovative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClient focus, creative, cooperative colleagues

Consneed better resourcing, better work-life balance

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!