Ciena

Updated 27 January, 2015
3.1

Ciena President, CEO, and Director Gary B. Smith
Gary B. Smith

Pros
  • This allows employees to have a great work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and good work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth plan for employees (in 6 reviews)

• The upper management does not know what they are doing (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

It has been a good company so far but change in management does impact the employees.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Ciena (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance..
    Though it is not a startup, a starter gets a chance to dive deep into work and is given good credibility.

Cons

Traditional style of working ... management is not open minded .
    Ok benifits, not comparable to other companies in the area.
    Zero perks
    Zero Raises

Started out good but went downhill as the company got bigger and slower.

I worked at Ciena

Pros

The work environment is flexible and the engineers are great people to work with.

Cons

Little to no career development.
    IT terrible

Its nice company to work for, work culture is good for experience people, not for freshers .low work pressue

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Ciena

Pros

No fixed time shifting, nice food, low work pressure, nice work culture, peolple help to work in.better to come here after gaining experience.

Cons

there is nothing to challenge here

Do give work to freshers also.

I have grown throughout my time here and had the chance to try on a variety of roles; I love my company. Hard work.

I have been working at Ciena

Pros

Ciena has allowed me to take risks and has rewarded me. The company has good values and wants to encourage personal growth and achievement.

Cons

The job needs to get done regardless of what is going on in your life. Your personal time will suffer for the "deal". Having said that, my experienxce is that management recognizes those sacrifices and rewards will come (as long as you aren't whiny about it. Just take your licks and move on like a professional. This is not the place to work if you want 40 hours week, mon to fri only.

Stay true to your "red" roots--you are starting to look a little too "blue" lately. Flexibility and nimbleness is what got you to the dance. Don't start acting like a large cap company.

Meh.

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Ciena full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company survives on the strength of its optical business, significantly arising from the recent acquisition of pieces of Nortel. It is significantly an Southern, East Coast company (top down management run by marketing), with particularly close relations with ATT.

Cons

Initiatives outside the main business have principally been a failure. Specifically, efforts to extend the carrier ethernet business from mobile base stations into backhaul has resulted in 4 consecutive failed platforms. The recent foray into SDN at the behest of ATT is being run like land-boom for the network management people.

Spend the money to hire competent software architects. Building out features for marketing to parade on top of broken infrastructure is the cause of the problems, not the solution. Demanding extra hours from junior employees who are dazzled with the prospect of the responsibility is a recipe for disaster.

Hated working here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linthicum, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linthicum, MD (US)

I worked at Ciena

Pros

Only pro is that you had a job and the benefits were fine.

Cons

There was a lot of office politics, gossiping and favoritism and a lot of unprofessionalism. A couple ghetto employees too. If you didn't act ghetto and stayed to yourself or tell your entire personal life then they always thought you were up to something or hiding things. Management sucked big time. Nobody knew what they were doing just pretended to be then get on others that didn't know what they were doing either. My department was not that big and there were two employees that would actually sleep at their desk all the time. Manager didn't know very much so the manager would go to the office napper for advice and answer since she was there the longest. If you want to feel like just a worker and nothing more than its the job for you. There were no raises and the work that other departments didnt want to do that department had to do it. So we got the crap no one else wanted to do. The company didn't know how to say no to the customer so we also go stuck with doing a crap load of manual tedious repetitive bs work. I was hired hourly then a year or two into the job I guess they didnt want to pay us for the overtime that was mandatory so then made us salary. I think that is pretty fradulent and maybe illegal I don't know but I do know that I'm so glad I don't have to work there and here about the same boring no substance mediocre bs conversations anymore. Worst job ever!!!

My only advice is to hire a manager that actually knows what they are doing and a manager that has a freaking backbone.

Employee friendly, good company

Current Employee - Associate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Associate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Ciena full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Company to work with. Work life balance. Career growth.

Cons

There are always some cons if you talk about the pros. We may negate the cons overs the pros.

None

Great Place to work for "managers" in transport group

Current Employee - SSE in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - SSE in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Ciena full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In transport group allows managers to have a great work-life balance but not to employees and Flexible work schedule and good work environment for managers but employees need to be flexible to work on night hours or weekend for least challenging task and buttering of management

Cons

No career growth plan for employees and The upper management does not know what they are doing

For transport group: be professional, do not be personal, appreciate who is deserving and do not try to finish the career of employees for your personal will.

From Good to Great, Back to Good, then Mediocre, Now Floundering

Former Employee - Senior R&D Project Manager in Linthicum Heights, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Senior R&D Project Manager in Linthicum Heights, MD (US)

I worked at Ciena full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At its best, Ciena had the best technology, brilliant engineers and a true entrepreneurial spirit. They survived the dot-com bust better than many firms, though there were many layoffs along the way. Still, morale was strong and employees truly trusted the leadership team. Promotional opportunities were available even during tough financial periods. Though bonuses dried up, there was a good employee stock purchase plan and basic benefits were above industry averages. But that was all prior to 2010.

Cons

The downfall of Ciena began with the acquisition / merger with Nortel's MEN division. Seems like Ciena sold its soul to make the acquisition work, handing over way too much influence to the Nortel groups. As a result, morale went down immediately for the existing Ciena employees and technology development slowed to a crawl. A transition of the engineering team from a US base to Canada and India continued the deterioration of technology development. In the past couple of years it became clear that the Ciena "classic" leadership team (non-Nortel) had lost their edge and were simply collecting their paychecks (and bonuses and stock grants) and are now hanging in there until something better comes along - or until they are told to leave. Since the Nortel acquisition Ciena still cannot quite make much money, always hovering near break-even. This will likely continue as the stuck-in-their-ways Nortel groups gain greater control of the company and power shifts completely to Canada (look for an inversion by 2016). The HR function had not been stellar the past 5 or 6 years, but has become non-existent since 2013 with a new, UK-based leadership team. They seem to be running HR by reading 10-year old Dilbert comic strips, using every outdated cliché to manage the business. As a result, no one ever goes to HR for help with employee issues - you're own your own. Any job openings at Ciena Maryland's facilities are most likely to replace someone who just got fed up and left. If you are Canadian, then Ciena will be a good place to work: the salary and benefits will be competitive, you won't be expected to perform well, and you can probably stay employed for a very long time as the company disposes of their US resources during the next few years.

It is well past time for a house cleaning. Probably too late to reverse the move of engineering to Canada and India, so you will suffer with poor technology for the foreseeable future. Operations teams are very over-staffed, especially field service teams. Gary Smith was a great guy and lead Ciena through some really difficult years, but it's time to find a replacement - someone from the outside, not a Nortel guy. The only way to get real profitable is to eliminate the dead wood, as without new products it will be tough to grow sales enough to really turn things around. And see if you can make HR a representative of the employees. Ciena once had a fantastic culture - Joe Chinnici once said it was the closest to Silicon Valley you could find outside of the west coast. See if you can get that culture back. Good luck to you all.

Great technology & good people but terrible middle management

I worked at Ciena full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment (work from home), best networking technology in industry, decent benefits, visionary CEO. The working level is very collaborative and supportive but that spirit doesn't make it to the senior leadership.

Cons

Dead end jobs, zero people development, jerky-herky reorganizations, inexplicable lay-offs, 0% raises in record-brekaing revenue years, little recognition of accomplishments, some horrible senior executives

Cut the deadwood, not those that produce. Stop using a dart board to make staffing decisions.