Chubb Corp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chubb Corp Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Finnegan

John D. Finnegan

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good and the compensation package is quite good (in 23 reviews)

• Good Benefits including health insurance , Decent Bonus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Few opportunities for advancement unless you are in the "inner circle (in 8 reviews)

• Company promotes work life balance, but doesn't seem to readily give it (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for - your results may vary.

Information Technology (Current Employee)

ProsCompensation and work life are more than fair.

ConsStill silo'd and still do a lot of box checking vs. what really adds value. Depending on where you work and for whom you could get a vastly different experience. I've had excellent managers and not so excellent managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate, develop, trust.

Zero interest in employee development

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Whitehouse Station, NJ (US)

Prosthe people you interact with on a daily basis.

Consvp's only interested in looking good. won't pay for technical training so when people are outsourced, the lack of training hurts when job-seeking.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't treat employees like idiots; outsourcing is done to improve bottom line. Don't tell folks that money isn't the reason. They're not stupid.

It's ok if you have a high tolerance for horrible management

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Warren, NJ (US)

ProsPay and benefits are decent. Coworkers are generally excellent.

ConsIT management "leads" via buzzwords. The CIO was incapable of telling us what his vision actually meant. They whole lot is pathetic. There are reorgs every 2 years and each brings with it a whole new set of nonsense. In the past ~6 years we've used 3 different time trackers, 3 different PTO databases, and 3 different management structures. Each AVP has 20+ developers reporting to them making promotions all but impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Seriously, Go do something else. You are so inept it's not even funny.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

best time of my life, great company, great people and great place to work.

Underwriter Associate (Current Employee) Whitehouse, NJ (US)

Proscompany policies and good coverage

Consnone at all, there is nothing wrong. This was a great place to work.

Advice to Senior Managementpersonal growth possible

Business System analyst

BSA (Current Employee) Warren, NJ (US)

ProsBest work environment. Lot of freedom, to learn ,ask and understand your job.

ConsTime bound, Budget constraints, too many outside consultants

I had a very enjoyable and beneficial 3 years at the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work life balance is very good and the compensation package is quite good.
    The working environment is friendly, with a low staff turnover.

ConsAs the company has focused on its costs base in recent years, the training budget is budget is minimal at best.
    Low staff turnover is one reason I would say career growth is less than in other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on maximising the output of current staff, this can be done without spending money on training.

Not bad if you want want a steady gig

Underwriter (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsIf you a newbie in the insurance game it is a great place to start your career. Training opportunities are abundant and the folks are okay

ConsRelationships rule. People won't get promotions unless someone at corporate likes you, no matter how well you perform. Once you get between 5 years there it becomes like the gov't people don't leave and you have to relocate or you'll stay where you are forever. You won't have any opportunities and you won't get to meet the right folks to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe real with staff. Don't give bonus or AVP titles to people you "like." Do it on REAL Merit.

Great company who takes care of high performers

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

Pros-Flexible Work Scheduling (work from home, part-time employment, etc)
    -Great people and good culture
    -Managers that do care and help foster success
    -No micromanaging from what I've seen

Cons-Pay not as high as other carriers
    -Work/Life balance not what it should be, Chubb does truly get all that they can from their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider reducing stock buybacks and invest in technology and expanding workforce so employees can provide better service to customers

Learned a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture, benefits, etc. Company really knows how to underwrite and it shows in their results. Premier insurance carrier which I was proud to work at. Felt challenged on a regular basis.

ConsPay is very average to below average. Few opportunities for advancement unless you are in the "inner circle.". Long term employess seem to have a sense of entitlement. Almost felt like i was underwriting in a box, no big picture concept.

Still debating

ProsIf you work in the right dept with a good boss and good people, you will be happy regardless if job position.

ConsCorporate politics is everywhere, hard to stay out of it. Company promotes work life balance, but doesn't seem to readily give it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more flexibility in the flexible work plans. So many good employees would stay if they could just work remote.

Worked for Chubb Corp? Contribute to the Community!