Chubb Corp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chubb Corp Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Finnegan

John D. Finnegan

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good and the compensation package is quite good(in 23 reviews)

• Good Benefits including health insurance , Decent Bonus(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Few opportunities for advancement unless you are in the "inner circle(in 8 reviews)

• Company promotes work life balance, but doesn't seem to readily give it(in 7 reviews)

best time of my life, great company, great people and great place to work.

Underwriter Associate (Current Employee) Whitehouse, NJ (US)

Proscompany policies and good coverage

Consnone at all, there is nothing wrong. This was a great place to work.

Advice to Senior Managementpersonal growth possible

Business System analyst

BSA (Current Employee) Warren, NJ (US)

ProsBest work environment. Lot of freedom, to learn ,ask and understand your job.

ConsTime bound, Budget constraints, too many outside consultants

I had a very enjoyable and beneficial 3 years at the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work life balance is very good and the compensation package is quite good.
    The working environment is friendly, with a low staff turnover.

ConsAs the company has focused on its costs base in recent years, the training budget is budget is minimal at best.
    Low staff turnover is one reason I would say career growth is less than in other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on maximising the output of current staff, this can be done without spending money on training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad if you want want a steady gig

Underwriter (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsIf you a newbie in the insurance game it is a great place to start your career. Training opportunities are abundant and the folks are okay

ConsRelationships rule. People won't get promotions unless someone at corporate likes you, no matter how well you perform. Once you get between 5 years there it becomes like the gov't people don't leave and you have to relocate or you'll stay where you are forever. You won't have any opportunities and you won't get to meet the right folks to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe real with staff. Don't give bonus or AVP titles to people you "like." Do it on REAL Merit.

Great company who takes care of high performers

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

Pros-Flexible Work Scheduling (work from home, part-time employment, etc)
    -Great people and good culture
    -Managers that do care and help foster success
    -No micromanaging from what I've seen

Cons-Pay not as high as other carriers
    -Work/Life balance not what it should be, Chubb does truly get all that they can from their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider reducing stock buybacks and invest in technology and expanding workforce so employees can provide better service to customers

Learned a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture, benefits, etc. Company really knows how to underwrite and it shows in their results. Premier insurance carrier which I was proud to work at. Felt challenged on a regular basis.

ConsPay is very average to below average. Few opportunities for advancement unless you are in the "inner circle.". Long term employess seem to have a sense of entitlement. Almost felt like i was underwriting in a box, no big picture concept.

Still debating

ProsIf you work in the right dept with a good boss and good people, you will be happy regardless if job position.

ConsCorporate politics is everywhere, hard to stay out of it. Company promotes work life balance, but doesn't seem to readily give it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more flexibility in the flexible work plans. So many good employees would stay if they could just work remote.

Chubb is an excellent place to work

ProsChubb is a great place to start your career. The company provides many learning opportunities and wants its employees to succeed. Management is very knowledgable and easy to access.

ConsThe only con is that compensation remains fairly average as compared to the rest of the industry. Chubb does attempt to make up for this shortcoming through profit sharing programs and year end bonuses.

Great reputation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery stable company, secure in its position within the industry

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement due to lack of growth of the business

Worst place ever.

Senior Underwriter I (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood Compensation and benefits. Underwriting Assistants actually do their jobs which is very helpful.

ConsManagement and Underwriting Model (PI)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of of the pricing index.

Worked for Chubb Corp? Contribute to the Community!