Children's Home + Aid

2.7

Nancy Ronquillo

Scary!

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

location - there are many good, talented people working & trying to survive there!

Cons

it feels like you are back in Jr Hi: too many cliques; too much back biting and the Regional Associate Exec nurtures it!!

Get rid of the "back biting culture!" - I don't think that the CEO (Nancy R) is in touch with what is going on downstate. She got her big promotion as the CEO & the rest is history!!

Rewarding experience but management was a nightmare

Former Employee - Family Counselor/Therapist  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Family Counselor/Therapist in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many opportunities for professional development, salary incentives when you became licensed, and working with the clients was very rewarding.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Management was very unprofessional, cliquish, and non supportive. I had issues with my direct supervisor and when I went her boss to share my concerns, she ignored them and immediately took my supervisor's side without investigating my claims.

All managers/ coordinators should recieve supervisory training annually so that they can be effective leaders.

Used to be good place with people who cared about children and each other. Now it's all about the almighty $$

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Rockford, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Rockford, IL (US)

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some flexibility in adjusting schedule as needed

Cons

Management doesn't care about staff anymore. They hired a ton of executive level people but never enough front line staff. They manipulate lower levels to get the most money possible with no concern for the level of stress this can place on workers. Pay is lower than most any other agency. No room to advance in many areas.

GET OVER YOURSELVES AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FRONT LINE STAFF!!! Give up some of those $300K salaries to hire people in areas that staff are needed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shady practices, poor management, mistreated staff, blatant disregard for staff morale

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, location, some talented staff

Cons

Career Ladder, unfair scheduling and pay practices. No respect. Terrible communication from management, stressful atmosphere, cliques, bullying, director won't listen.

Listen to your staff, especially their pay concerns and management policies. Use common sense, be fair. Reexamine staff attendance. Many salaried employees take advantage and do not pull their weight.

I enjoy working for Children's Home + Aid.

Current Employee - After School Instructor  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - After School Instructor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

This company does good work. It helps bring programming to kids who are less fortunate. You get to network with other schools and share talents and ideas.

Cons

Most instructors hired to do programming do so as contractor. As such, one only gets paid once a month and have to take care of their own taxes.

It would be great of you could offer the availability of being hired to your contractors.

Administratively heavy...not invested in the children

I worked at Children's Home + Aid

Pros

Administrators look after other administrators

Cons

Quality service to client populations is not a priority!

Complete a program analysis for EACH program to optimize functionality & recommit to serving the client rather than lining your pockets!

Reputable company

I worked at Children's Home + Aid

Pros

Reputable company who treats their clients like family. I was proud to work for them. Great boss, team/coworkers. Flex time so you didn't burn out. Yearly pay increases.

Cons

Meager pay, as with most social services jobs, at least entry level. Little room for advancement within my particular sector (foster care services). Pay increase yearly was little to nothing and other opportunities for increased pay all part of "Career ladder" with close to impossible standards. Little room for balance btw Paperwork and field work, one seemed to always suffer in order to meet standards from agency handed down by DCFS which changed pretty often.

Different and Unique

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Caring and supportive employees
    Build your experience
    Establish lasting relationships
    Dedicated employees
    Great wellness program
    Strong client teacher relationship
    Community based programs

Cons

Not enough opportunity for growth and development for employees seeking higher education and career change.
    Improve communication channels within the different sites

Recognize and support employees need for improvement and career change.

The hardest job you w/ ever do

Current Employee - Statewide Administration  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Statewide Administration in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Social Workers helping their community despite obstacles

Cons

No work/life balance, no chance for upward mobility, disparity in pay, zero perks and low salary

Fix the "me" attitude of your Upper Admin Leaders.

Good at my level, not so much above me

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have a good supervisor who allows me the flexibility I need to do my job well. The atmosphere in my office is very family oriented. The majority of the employees do quality work and do care about the children and families served.

Cons

Too much weight at the executive level, not enough IT support (there should be at least one IT person in each area, stop making them travel all over), not enough communication between upper management and lower levels.

Stop using all sorts of consultants to come up with half-baked ideas that don't work with the day-to-day staff. Communicate upcoming projects across regions better. Take time to recognize that a lot of "average Joes" can contribute lots of small amounts instead of always looking for the biggest donors to make major donations. Stop being cheerleaders and shadow staff to see what we really do.

Worked for Children's Home + Aid? Contribute to the Community!