Chegg

Chegg Reviews in San Jose, CA US

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig

Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • You get a somewhat decent free lunch(in 11 reviews)

• great cause, great work environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains(in 4 reviews)

• People just disappear with no word on why they were let go(in 3 reviews)

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company and mission

Marketing (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsThe company mission and vision is loud and clear at Chegg. The company culture is amazing with guest speakers, team building events and awesome perks. For a company of Chegg's size, I'm amazed by the management's transparency.

ConsI honestly don't have any right now.

temporary help and made to feel like it

Customer Support (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

Prosthey brought food for the temporary help

Conspretty much everything. there were some HR violations that were rather concerning, but they may have also been temp workers.

Advice to Senior Managementhire some of the people who you have as temps as full time. it will give incentive to temps to work to get hired full time.

Good learning experience. Team is very friendly and co-operative.

Senior Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsEnjoyed building apps from scratch.

ConsTeam needs better engineer direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term vision and direction needs to improve.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chegg needs to rebuild.

Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

Pros* The CEO Dan is a charismatic leader with a lot of connections in the industry.
    * Very little turnover in senior management. This is a sign the execs are committed to success.
    * Fixing education is a respectable goal and Chegg is a company with enough power to have an impact.
    * Employees are friendly and the type of people you would want to have as neighbors.
    * Chegg has a very good lunch program.

Cons* Chegg needs to rebuild itself as a non-textbook rental company. This could take many years. Chegg is a great company with great people but fixing the stock price will take a while.
    * The location is ok for people in San Jose but horrible for people from SF.
    * Compensation is just ok, not bad but not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job setting expectations.

A company with a mission!

Engineering (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsIts not easy for anyone to survive in a company that is competitive and is out to solve a hard problem. I wont talk about all the perks since every company in the valley is expected to offer those benefits. I want to talk about what defines Chegg and its engineering culture:
    - I love that in-spite of all the uncertainties around ed-tech industry, engineers who believe in our mission have stuck around and made it their personal mission to serve the student
    - Leadership team believes in the engineering team and has put full trust in engineering leadership to do what is right for the students and the share holders
    - We have had few bumps during our growth but we have learned and rectified them quickly and executive team have always supported us. We believe in life long learning and failures are a part of every success story
    - Chegg believes in rewarding the brightest and the smartest. It rewards individuals who put oxygen in the room than individuals who are toxic and suck it out of the room.
    - It does not matter whom you know, all it matters is whether you have put student first and you bring in a great attitude every day to work and believe in taking the company forward every day

ConsIf there were any, I would have let the executive team know. There is no point in ranting about those issues on glass door.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on course since we are onto something huge which will change the education system. And on top of that, its a nobel cause. Negative glass door reviews should not defocus anyone from the goals since the team that believes in the vision and mission is going to deliver!

Needs real leadership

Not Engineering (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits:
    - full medical coverage
    - on-site gym
    - free lunches/breakfast
    - great parties
    - unlimited vacation
    - wildly connected employees (leaders of all the major companies in Silicon Valley)

ConsWhere to begin...
    - lack of managerial ownership, a team of A-types, & interdepartmental conflicting priorities = a lot of wasted time, pointless meetings, and incomplete projects.
    - 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec
    - run around on promotions (they are not merit based)
    - amnesia about company history: new leaders fail to look at how we got where we are
    - questionable business ethics (driven by $$$$)
    - becoming 'good ole boys club' culture
    - slowest product development I've seen compared to other tech companies I've worked at for years in the valley
    - have to threaten to quit or present manager with a new offer for salary increases

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your good employees, actually 'put students first', invest in new product leadership

Awesome in Theory, Not So Much in Practice

Marketing (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

Pros-Amazing office space
    -Pretty much everything you'd expect from a startup in Silicon Valley: parties, snacks, amazing catered lunches, a gym, full benefits, etc.
    -If you get on the right team and play the politics, you can move up quickly
    -For all the flack D.R. gets for being kind of a tool, he really is an inspirational leader and CEO. If anyone is going to lead a company in Santa Clara to success, it is him. I always left inspired while in his presence and I carry a lot of the lessons he shared with me.

Cons-Different departments do not communicate well
    -Off-boarding process was terrible and showed a lack of respect for employees
    -Location is terrible.
    -Transportation: No commuter checks or reimbursement.
    -Politics: if you're friends with the right people, you move up quickly and can get paid a lot. If you don't like office politics, don't work here.
    -Salary was good, not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a genuine emotional interest in your employees. Take a general emotional interest in students and teachers (saying this to upper upper-management: I know they say they care about students, but if that's the case, they need to rethink the entire way their digital products are laid out-- they're designed for cheating. It's hard to believe that you're helping students when you're actually enabling them.)

Great company, poor technology team

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsChegg has a great customer base that loves the product and enjoys the savings brought by the flagship product of renting textbooks. As for the treatment of the employees, all of the perks are top-notch with free lunch every day, excellent insurance and an open vacation policy (to name a few).

ConsThe technology side of the company is awful. Chegg has repeatedly let the senior engineers walk away and replacing them with very inexperienced ones. The worst part is that these junior engineers are responsible for architecting the backend which needs to scale through each rush period.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an objective look at the quality of the work produced by the majority of the engineers. You'll quickly see the reason why new features take so long to go to production and also why they are in half-baked state.

dissatisfied

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

Prosgood employee perks - free food, gym, speaker series, cultural events, fitness classes, unlimited time off
    work environment is fairly flexible - flexible hours, wfh
    follow standard engineering practices: continuous integration/code reviews/integration tests
    great CEO

ConsEmployees are mostly a treated as a head count. Does not matter what are views/opinions/goals are. Not a lot feedback from the bottom up.

Managerial level is a big big big letdown. Very common to see friends of senior leaders or people with some influence get promoted. Does not matter if the person has necessary skills or background to get the job done. This leads to a lot of frustration.

Forget about pay raises or bonuses.

Education is a tough industry to be in. Tanking stock price says it all

Advice to Senior Managementget more bottom up feedback; occasionally show monetary appreciation

Monetizing students is not the best way to building a lasting relationship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsIt's a fun culture. The target audience (college students) is great. The team is strong.

ConsChegg is solely focused on monetizing its customers and forgot about creating a relationship with them that's mutually beneficial. Everything they do is about making an extra buck from a college kid. Students are smart and they see through this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a relationship with your customers and it will earn you far more in revenue that selling ads on your website or in the Chegg boxes.

Worked for Chegg? Contribute to the Community!