Cerner Reviews

Updated 21 October, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

great company if you are a workaholic

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

good opportunities and great peers

Cons

unrealistic expectations for workloads, training is minimal

include travel time in to acknowledged work hours

Love working at Cerner

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Fast-paced, career advancement opportunities, great work environment, unique culture

Cons

difficult to navigate at first

Support Analyst-ITWorks

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Company as a whole is great! Team members are great. Young Culture, Nice starting pay for KCMO, Cafeteria, driving commute, Free Gym, Laptop provided.

Cons

Only for the Support Analyst role...call queue, call center like environment, talking directly to rude physicians and Nurses etc. have to be in a role for 18 months! The grass is greener on the other side after a successful completion of the 18 months and you are able to experience other departments without being attached to a phone! Constant ringing, back to back calls! I recommend the company but not the Support Analyst Role!

Before new processes are put in place, please ask the ones who actually have to do the work...if the process works or not! Plenty of times something is implemented without consulting with those who have to use it..it's just thrown at us and it ends up crashing and effecting our daily work! Being that we work in Health Care there are really no room for error or systems breaking down when they call us for help!!!!

Good

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good and excellent to work for

Cons

great and very good to work for

very good

Opportunity for career growth, excellent job security, but could use improvement at retaining talent.

Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cerner leads the market with focused innovation in health care. We excel at forging productive relationships with clients based on the mutual need to more proactively make changes to health care.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that at Cerner we do not invest enough in our home grown talent. A person with excellent foresight, management skills and client relationships may suffer years of below average pay without being utilized for the talents that make that associate excellent.

Actively be looking for excellent associates from within and promote them in meaningful ways that lead to above average pay and challenging initiatives. Do not lose these individuals to other employers as you are now.

Don't believe everything you hear

Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well established. Good policies procedures, and employee self help systems.

Cons

Goal Oriented, poor or improper communication. From the goal oriented stand point they don't care if you work 60 hour work weeks they just want the goal met and have a quality outcome. they set AGGRESSIVE deadlines and offer little to no help for you to accomplish the task in time for the deadline in fact they usually saddle you with 15-20 hours of additional work each week that impedes your ability to accomplish your goal and then reviews you poorly for the effort. They like to dangle mythical carrots in front of their associates. Usuallay they will hand you a large promotion and tell you you need to perform in this role for 6 months then assuming your review is acceptable you will get the compensation ..... !!!!WARNING!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS. Get everything in writing and use your initial on boarding to negotiate your compensation and benefits. IF you don't get this established immediately on hire don't expect it to ever come.

I was promoted 7 months ago. I received a "meets expectations" on my positional review stating "no associate performing duties in a role for less than a year can receive a grade above meets expectations, regardless of work ethic, work quality, goal completion, or peer review" so I worked an everage of 45-55 hours a week gave so many weekend and evening I lost count got exceptional reviews on my project completions and daily tasks and got an mediocre review. That compensation they promised with the huge promotion ended up being 3K annually (2.6%) so basically they arranged to have me work 10-20% more handle vastly more responsibility for the same pay as I was making in my lower level position. When questioned they said unfortunately you will have to perform this role for another year before we can adequately compensate you .... YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

STOP LYING TO YOUR GOOD ASSOCIATES AND START GIVING THEM WHAT YOU PROMISE AND WHAT THEY DESERVE

Unlimited Opportunities

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at Cerner right out of college and I have found our leadership to be very supportive and empowering to help me learn, grow, and consistently be challenged in my work. They provide great health benefits and have a relaxed work environment.

Cons

As deadlines loom, the number of hours you work can increase.

Continue to lead, in both the health care AND technology industries, to ensure we're cutting edge and never behind the curve.

Alot of office politics

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leaving early on some Fridays. My managers were really flexible with my school schedule. Their innovations were really cool to be apart of and learn about. Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in. You are surrounded by alot of your peers as alot employees are young, which can be good and bad. Laid back atmosphere for the most part.

Cons

There was alot of favortism, politics, and can be unorganized on projects. Communication can be akward as so many managers live by the motto "no feedback is good feedback" versus being proactive in their subordinates professional develpment.

Be more involved in the development of your associates, and not just the ones you admire. Ambuguity is ok until it gets to the point where most including the manager needs to either be retrained or have no clue how to move forward on the project. Understand that quality over quantiy is more valuable despite client deadlines, therefore set appropriate expectations.

One of the best places to start your career.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a great training program for new graduates and even high school kids.
    Competitive pay and good benefits, including on site clinic and free access to the gym.

Cons

The organizations are constantly changing so you have to be able to adapt to changes quickly.

Pathetic

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is growing in revenue and size. That's about it.

Cons

My experience at Cerner has been pathetic.
    Poor pay
    Poor raise
    Zero annual Bonus
    A lot of overtime
    Micro managed
    Complex projects but very outdated technologies. (You won't believe, last week I made a major change to a module which was first written in 1997)
    Poor benefits including health plan.
    No company sponsored team outings in my tenure of 3+ years
    Very unsocial associates.
    24*7 support but lack of work recognition
    and much more.

Although the company is doing well, I would not recommend the company to anyone.

Stop being stingy and splurge a little on the backbone of your company.