Cerner Reviews

Updated 17 October, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 71 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to start your career in tech

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
    -They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
    -They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
    -Great place for out of college first salaried job.
    -They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
    -People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
    -Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
    -They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
    -You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
    -Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

Good

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good and excellent to work for

Cons

great and very good to work for

very good

Opportunity for career growth, excellent job security, but could use improvement at retaining talent.

Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cerner leads the market with focused innovation in health care. We excel at forging productive relationships with clients based on the mutual need to more proactively make changes to health care.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that at Cerner we do not invest enough in our home grown talent. A person with excellent foresight, management skills and client relationships may suffer years of below average pay without being utilized for the talents that make that associate excellent.

Actively be looking for excellent associates from within and promote them in meaningful ways that lead to above average pay and challenging initiatives. Do not lose these individuals to other employers as you are now.

Don't believe everything you hear

Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well established. Good policies procedures, and employee self help systems.

Cons

Goal Oriented, poor or improper communication. From the goal oriented stand point they don't care if you work 60 hour work weeks they just want the goal met and have a quality outcome. they set AGGRESSIVE deadlines and offer little to no help for you to accomplish the task in time for the deadline in fact they usually saddle you with 15-20 hours of additional work each week that impedes your ability to accomplish your goal and then reviews you poorly for the effort. They like to dangle mythical carrots in front of their associates. Usuallay they will hand you a large promotion and tell you you need to perform in this role for 6 months then assuming your review is acceptable you will get the compensation ..... !!!!WARNING!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS. Get everything in writing and use your initial on boarding to negotiate your compensation and benefits. IF you don't get this established immediately on hire don't expect it to ever come.

I was promoted 7 months ago. I received a "meets expectations" on my positional review stating "no associate performing duties in a role for less than a year can receive a grade above meets expectations, regardless of work ethic, work quality, goal completion, or peer review" so I worked an everage of 45-55 hours a week gave so many weekend and evening I lost count got exceptional reviews on my project completions and daily tasks and got an mediocre review. That compensation they promised with the huge promotion ended up being 3K annually (2.6%) so basically they arranged to have me work 10-20% more handle vastly more responsibility for the same pay as I was making in my lower level position. When questioned they said unfortunately you will have to perform this role for another year before we can adequately compensate you .... YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

STOP LYING TO YOUR GOOD ASSOCIATES AND START GIVING THEM WHAT YOU PROMISE AND WHAT THEY DESERVE

One of the best places to start your career.

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a great training program for new graduates and even high school kids.
    Competitive pay and good benefits, including on site clinic and free access to the gym.

Cons

The organizations are constantly changing so you have to be able to adapt to changes quickly.

Unlimited Opportunities

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at Cerner right out of college and I have found our leadership to be very supportive and empowering to help me learn, grow, and consistently be challenged in my work. They provide great health benefits and have a relaxed work environment.

Cons

As deadlines loom, the number of hours you work can increase.

Continue to lead, in both the health care AND technology industries, to ensure we're cutting edge and never behind the curve.

Alot of office politics

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leaving early on some Fridays. My managers were really flexible with my school schedule. Their innovations were really cool to be apart of and learn about. Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in. You are surrounded by alot of your peers as alot employees are young, which can be good and bad. Laid back atmosphere for the most part.

Cons

There was alot of favortism, politics, and can be unorganized on projects. Communication can be akward as so many managers live by the motto "no feedback is good feedback" versus being proactive in their subordinates professional develpment.

Be more involved in the development of your associates, and not just the ones you admire. Ambuguity is ok until it gets to the point where most including the manager needs to either be retrained or have no clue how to move forward on the project. Understand that quality over quantiy is more valuable despite client deadlines, therefore set appropriate expectations.

Okay Starting company, NOT a Company to stay with

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I moved to work here as my first job and I worked with some good people. That's pretty much it.

Cons

This is going to sound like a very ugly evaluation but I've been honest in everything and I really would not recommend this company.

At first everything was peachy, but everything started going downhill pretty quickly. One senior person left the team due to the stress and the other was let go. Both were good people. Work/life balance is horrible. I thought the culture was good at first but I was wrong. There is a disease growing in Cerner that people are oblivious to. When your higher-ups have worked long hours and overtime to fulfill client needs they expect you to do exactly the same. I tried to explain this to my superiors many times. A good engineer is only good when they aren't worn out from stress, client calls, and un-appreciation. There was even a support engineer who was so rude to me and my higher-ups did very little. Just told me that they were "looking into it" but I never got an apology from the engineer. In my first year of working I learned a lot but since the framework was so complex, I didn't have the opportunity to contribute a lot. That year I got a 10% raise. My second year I decided to be a go-getter and contribute a lot more. That year I got a 1% raise. Pretty fair isn't it?

If you want to work for Cerner, know that the only way you will survive is to put huge amounts of time in your career to grow. They have a new program in place for new hire software engineers that I dodged since I joined earlier but I heard it is pretty horrible. I've heard that from people joining our team from the program. Word to the wise, if you get up and move all the way to Kansas City for your first job and don't pass the initial program, you will be fired. You don't even join a team till 5-6 weeks. There is no bonus; your compensation increases based on how your peers are doing and how you are doing.

Appreciate engineers more. Come and talk to them and get to know them. Don't just send out emails when someone has done something wrong, send out emails when people have done a good job too. Listen to your employees and put good practices in place so that we don't all decide to leave causing a high turnover rate. If someone is rude to your employee, take action don't say we're "watching it from now on".

Pathetic

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is growing in revenue and size. That's about it.

Cons

My experience at Cerner has been pathetic.
    Poor pay
    Poor raise
    Zero annual Bonus
    A lot of overtime
    Micro managed
    Complex projects but very outdated technologies. (You won't believe, last week I made a major change to a module which was first written in 1997)
    Poor benefits including health plan.
    No company sponsored team outings in my tenure of 3+ years
    Very unsocial associates.
    24*7 support but lack of work recognition
    and much more.

Although the company is doing well, I would not recommend the company to anyone.

Stop being stingy and splurge a little on the backbone of your company.

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to technology, must drink the Cerner kool-aid to survive there.

Cons

Culture at Cerner is a IT sweatshop, you have to drink the Cerner kool-aid to survive there, Watch out for incompetent managers and coworkers who play corporate office politics, chances of getting fired is always high, the turnover rate is more than 25%. If you are relocating to Kansas City from the East coast/West coast please avoid it, Kansas City is not that great and moreover Cerner is a big player here, so you are made to feel like you are disposable and should be grateful for your job.

Encourage creativity, and stop playing office politics.