Cerner

Updated 15 December, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 21 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance for the benefit of associate wellness needs addressed from top/down (in 75 reviews)

• Long hours, some employees fresh out of college and need guidance in corporate settings (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Over-worked, under appreciated

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Flexible schedule, especially when sick
    -Work from home
    -Pay

Cons

-Lots of after hours work (on-call)
    -Unrealistic expectations (constantly stressed)
    -Managers are given too much freedom in deciding who is promoted and given a raise (which leads to favoritism)
    - Little recognition for your work
    - Micromanagement
    -VERY competitive culture

Listen to the employees who are actually the ones who have to live with the decisions you're making.

Pathetic

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Good package. Good perks. No need to use your brain. All you need to get this job is to know how to click your mouse. Period

Cons

Cerner rips off freshers by giving so called a great package to start with. The skills you learn here are so bad that even a 10th std kid can do a better job. All you need to do is to type and to click your mouse on various windows. Once you stick here, its inevitable to leave this company because no one in the current market can recognize your typing/mouse clicking skills. This is definitely a job for the housewives.

Average Company - Think twice before jumping in !!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay as per market standards.
    Flexible work timings
    Leader in a stable domain -Healthcare

Cons

Poor quality of work, mostly maintenance.
    Poor work life balance.
    Lots of politics. Unnecessary title of 'Architect' conferred even on people who can't design or write code.
    Recruit and keep below par people based on their relationship. A person without any coding skill was recruited as architect. No action was take on this person even after it was evident that this person fabricated data with help of some known friends (again architects) to get in.
    This brings us to last point- "Weak HR afraid of handling the corrupt"

Look into the future. Do an independent evaluation of the so called architects who are playing regional politics and manipulate everything right from recruitment . Plenty of them have tampered data to get in. However stable the domain is this tendencies will hurt the company in future.

It's a job.

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

It's a job. I'm employed.

Cons

If you have a two year degree you are locked in for three solid years at the same level with no opportunity to climb the ladder even when you're performing as well as and doing the same job as the people with four year degrees.

Not a team environment, unprofessional

Current Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility, on-site clinic & pharmacy

Cons

Poor training, poor leadership, very negative atmosphere.

Spend more time training team leads, invest in more job specific training before putting associates in their roles, create a more positive, team atmosphere.

Analyt

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Good entry level, open doors for future advancement

Cons

Very low salary scale from industry standards

Still waiting

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Easy and quick interviews. The headquarters is nice but come to find out you won't be working there but another building a mile away so if you want to use the free gym or the cafeteria you have to drive to headquarters.

Cons

Me and several people I know personally interviewed then we all got an email saying how great of feedback we got and they are excited about us "potentially" joining the team and that they were working on the logistics of their training academy and will be in touch soon with the next steps in the process. Got email after a month and a half asking if I am still interested but they they still don't have a start date. This from the start to now has been 3 months and no start date.

Don't interview people unless you're ready to offer a start date. You'll miss out on good employees because we can't all sit around and wait and you aren't the only employer in town.

Good Opportunity However...

Former Employee - Senior Applications Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you can handle the workload, you have an opportunity to advance. Excellent pay.

Cons

Cerner doesn't necessarily care to provide immediate support when needed. Managers and HR aren't always completely honest regarding PIP outcomes.

Allow employees a chance to change roles within the company before terminating employment. Cerner is renowned for allowing this type of movement within the company but I was not given the opportunity.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth fast and quick, team pay and workload are different depend on number of clients are using team solution

Cons

People with no skills being promoted solely based on senority

challenge yourself first.

Did not love the "big corporate "culture after 15 years in a series of smaller companies.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company if you are fresh out of school and looking for experience; there are good training programs for young hires. Of this company could be a fit if you enjoy or want to experience being part of multi-national corporation with thousands of employees. Good medical benefits if you work on the main campus in Kansas City.

Cons

You are a small fish in a large pond. They profess to work hard and play hard, but as an acquired company we did not see any of the play hard experience. The pay is generally low unless you are a manger or higher, and it is very difficult to be transferred or promoted if the pool of associates is large for your area.

Try to know and relate to your staff, and try to mentor and not rely on annual reviews to perform that role.