Cerner Reviews

Updated 29 October, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 73 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

excellent, everybody is nice. Lot's of opportunities to be social.

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, you have an opportunity to meet lots of people and everyone is very nice and supportive. Mostly a young group employed there, but that's great if you're young.

Cons

The only con would be that you do work really hard, but that's probably the case in a lot of companies.

Rwarding

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fast paced, challenging, exciting and gratifying

Cons

growth after a point, vision, politics in certain areas.

Love working at Cerner

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Fast-paced, career advancement opportunities, great work environment, unique culture

Cons

difficult to navigate at first

great company if you are a workaholic

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

good opportunities and great peers

Cons

unrealistic expectations for workloads, training is minimal

include travel time in to acknowledged work hours

Support Analyst-ITWorks

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Company as a whole is great! Team members are great. Young Culture, Nice starting pay for KCMO, Cafeteria, driving commute, Free Gym, Laptop provided.

Cons

Only for the Support Analyst role...call queue, call center like environment, talking directly to rude physicians and Nurses etc. have to be in a role for 18 months! The grass is greener on the other side after a successful completion of the 18 months and you are able to experience other departments without being attached to a phone! Constant ringing, back to back calls! I recommend the company but not the Support Analyst Role!

Before new processes are put in place, please ask the ones who actually have to do the work...if the process works or not! Plenty of times something is implemented without consulting with those who have to use it..it's just thrown at us and it ends up crashing and effecting our daily work! Being that we work in Health Care there are really no room for error or systems breaking down when they call us for help!!!!

Don't believe everything you hear

Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well established. Good policies procedures, and employee self help systems.

Cons

Goal Oriented, poor or improper communication. From the goal oriented stand point they don't care if you work 60 hour work weeks they just want the goal met and have a quality outcome. they set AGGRESSIVE deadlines and offer little to no help for you to accomplish the task in time for the deadline in fact they usually saddle you with 15-20 hours of additional work each week that impedes your ability to accomplish your goal and then reviews you poorly for the effort. They like to dangle mythical carrots in front of their associates. Usuallay they will hand you a large promotion and tell you you need to perform in this role for 6 months then assuming your review is acceptable you will get the compensation ..... !!!!WARNING!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS. Get everything in writing and use your initial on boarding to negotiate your compensation and benefits. IF you don't get this established immediately on hire don't expect it to ever come.

I was promoted 7 months ago. I received a "meets expectations" on my positional review stating "no associate performing duties in a role for less than a year can receive a grade above meets expectations, regardless of work ethic, work quality, goal completion, or peer review" so I worked an everage of 45-55 hours a week gave so many weekend and evening I lost count got exceptional reviews on my project completions and daily tasks and got an mediocre review. That compensation they promised with the huge promotion ended up being 3K annually (2.6%) so basically they arranged to have me work 10-20% more handle vastly more responsibility for the same pay as I was making in my lower level position. When questioned they said unfortunately you will have to perform this role for another year before we can adequately compensate you .... YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

STOP LYING TO YOUR GOOD ASSOCIATES AND START GIVING THEM WHAT YOU PROMISE AND WHAT THEY DESERVE

Your "Cerner Experience" varies greatly per department.

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- A lot of benefits depending on the department
    - Some get to enjoy everything they advertise in the Compass, others get nothing at all
    - Love the ability to travel, however, some departments are told they will and then not get to at all.
    - Growth can be awesome! Again, depends on the department

Cons

Honestly, I would be really biased to say anything, I worked in a department that is known for being poorly managed. Everything that Cerner would tell you in an interview and compass training was negated. There was little management direction for the "future" and you were thrown into a corner in a call-center. It really is a glorified call center. Also, having experience means nothing there. You may be working with people that are in their "Recent college graduate" program, but have experience and a degree and be paid SIGNIFICANTLY less than they are, even when you were told in interview negotiations they guaranteed everyone started at the same amount in the department. It's also a VERY "Bro" like environment, and men definitely have advantages over women.

Realize your weak links, discourage fraternization, encourage equality, don't advertise things and not fulfill, review your management and scrutinize when there are complaints instead of brushing them under a rug.

Okay Starting company, NOT a Company to stay with

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I moved to work here as my first job and I worked with some good people. That's pretty much it.

Cons

This is going to sound like a very ugly evaluation but I've been honest in everything and I really would not recommend this company.

At first everything was peachy, but everything started going downhill pretty quickly. One senior person left the team due to the stress and the other was let go. Both were good people. Work/life balance is horrible. I thought the culture was good at first but I was wrong. There is a disease growing in Cerner that people are oblivious to. When your higher-ups have worked long hours and overtime to fulfill client needs they expect you to do exactly the same. I tried to explain this to my superiors many times. A good engineer is only good when they aren't worn out from stress, client calls, and un-appreciation. There was even a support engineer who was so rude to me and my higher-ups did very little. Just told me that they were "looking into it" but I never got an apology from the engineer. In my first year of working I learned a lot but since the framework was so complex, I didn't have the opportunity to contribute a lot. That year I got a 10% raise. My second year I decided to be a go-getter and contribute a lot more. That year I got a 1% raise. Pretty fair isn't it?

If you want to work for Cerner, know that the only way you will survive is to put huge amounts of time in your career to grow. They have a new program in place for new hire software engineers that I dodged since I joined earlier but I heard it is pretty horrible. I've heard that from people joining our team from the program. Word to the wise, if you get up and move all the way to Kansas City for your first job and don't pass the initial program, you will be fired. You don't even join a team till 5-6 weeks. There is no bonus; your compensation increases based on how your peers are doing and how you are doing.

Appreciate engineers more. Come and talk to them and get to know them. Don't just send out emails when someone has done something wrong, send out emails when people have done a good job too. Listen to your employees and put good practices in place so that we don't all decide to leave causing a high turnover rate. If someone is rude to your employee, take action don't say we're "watching it from now on".

Pathetic

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is growing in revenue and size. That's about it.

Cons

My experience at Cerner has been pathetic.
    Poor pay
    Poor raise
    Zero annual Bonus
    A lot of overtime
    Micro managed
    Complex projects but very outdated technologies. (You won't believe, last week I made a major change to a module which was first written in 1997)
    Poor benefits including health plan.
    No company sponsored team outings in my tenure of 3+ years
    Very unsocial associates.
    24*7 support but lack of work recognition
    and much more.

Although the company is doing well, I would not recommend the company to anyone.

Stop being stingy and splurge a little on the backbone of your company.

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to technology, must drink the Cerner kool-aid to survive there.

Cons

Culture at Cerner is a IT sweatshop, you have to drink the Cerner kool-aid to survive there, Watch out for incompetent managers and coworkers who play corporate office politics, chances of getting fired is always high, the turnover rate is more than 25%. If you are relocating to Kansas City from the East coast/West coast please avoid it, Kansas City is not that great and moreover Cerner is a big player here, so you are made to feel like you are disposable and should be grateful for your job.

Encourage creativity, and stop playing office politics.