Cerner Reviews

Updated 30 August, 2014

3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting company, bad department

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Cerner is absolutely on the forefront of the industry with amazing new ideas and technology. The benefits are also excellent (for young, healthy people, which is the vast majority of the company)

Cons

In consulting, prepare to work your tail off and travel more than they tell you when they hire you, and prepare to be, well, not prepared for everything they ask of you

trust people more

Great Opportunity for a Student and Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Columbia, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Cerner as an Software Engineer Intern while obtaining my Master's Degree in Computer Science. My experience will vary from other interns' that were located in Kansas City. I was located in Columbia, MO working for a collaboration between Cerner and the University of Missouri hospital system called the Tiger Institute. I had a great experience here, bolstered by the small team size (around 10) and great management. The time from development to deployment was fantastic. Because of the collaborative environment, the feedback system from the deployment to the hospital was about as real-time as you can get. As far as marketable experience goes, I learned to use a few different technologies, mostly in web development. I also learned how to thrive in an agile environment, which many software development companies look for. And I can't say enough about the direct management, very helpful and guiding. This also applies to other software developers on the team. I did not feel like an intern after I learned the ropes. Overall, as an intern, I had a very valuable experience.

One caveat you may read in other reviews is that Cerner works you to the bone and spits you out. In this fast-paced market, this is common. However, in my experience, most of the team worked the usual 8-5, with rare occurrences of overtime, except when a golive was about to happen.

Cons

There weren't many cons that I can think of. I think not being able to identify pitfalls stems from being an intern. I was very surprised at the amount of movement within the team. Software developers transitioned to project managers. Project managers to software architects. Software developers to software developer leads. Software developers to software architects (not as rare). Given the size of the team, this was very surprising to me. Keep in mind that I was only an intern for less than two years. Therefore, one con I can identify was the difficulty of establishing a team dynamic.

I loved the team. As noted in the "Cons" section of my review, it would have been helpful to establish a more concrete team dynamic and limit the amount of movement from position to position.

Proceed with caution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not really a pro but it is all I can think of. Your manager may be located in another country so at least your not micro managed

Cons

Hiring Process: HR is a shared service located in India so you will only speak to a HR shared services employee located there. they are not skilled in talent aquisiton and cannot answer your questions.I applied via a search engine and then was asked to re apply via the link they sent me (same documents, nothing additional asked for ?)
    You will then hear nothing for weeks
    You'll then have a couple of interviews where you will get the impression from the questions they will take anyone with a pulse
    They will tell you they are growing hence the hiring. But holding induction 2 times per week in Kansas City is a sure sign that they are losing employees by the truckload
    They will send you a linked to HIRERIGHT for background checks, You will do all the work having to supply all the documents and they DO NOT call any referee supplied. You will not hear from anyone at CERNER for a few weeks
    The offer you receive will be lower than the benchmark and then you will have the joy of printing and signing a 28 page contract and then scanning it back.
    You'll then be asked to fly to Kansas for induction. From Australia you'll fly economy on Delta and they expect you to pay to book a new flight since they think that you can get through LAX immigration/customs in 1hr and 10 minutes.
    I've regret my choice to work for this company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place sucks

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. I guess the fact that I got to try out and use on a daily bass a dell D830 before buying one for myself.

Cons

I used to work here back in the mid 2000's before the move to the innovations campus. Everything sucked. On job vent (before the reviews were removed) it was rated as one of the worst companies to work for.

A great place to start your career. This company will open the door for may other opportunities .

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Honor system for sick days.
    Challenging.
    Young work force.

Cons

More difficult to move up in AMS than in consulting.
    Work-life balance can be a struggle.
    Training "drink from the fire hose"

Overall great experience

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Good learning experience
    Great work culture

Cons

we should not have expectations on salary range

No regrets, but the company drastically changed the 10+ years I was there.

Former Employee - Various  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Various in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most of your fellow associates are great people to work with and really care about their contributions to healthcare. Decent pay and great health benefits.

Cons

Corporate America is swallowing this company up. More emphasis is based on deadlines and metrics than quality. Work/life balance is terrible. Training is baptism by fire.

Associates have numbers but they also have names. And some of them have pretty good idea if you will stop and listen.

Lack of Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

A job to come to daily

Cons

No support from management. I work 50, 60 hour weeks with no recognition
    Management talks down to team leads.

Thank-you calls, emails etc would help turn around and keep people with the company

Growing in the right direction

Former Employee - Team Lead  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cerner has a lot of positives going for it, a young workforce and lots of travel, for people who see that as a positive. The salaries are good initially for Kansas City considering the cost of living and the prospect of being promoted and moving up is certainly available. They company is certainly expanding and thinking beyond just EHR and has a bright future, exhibited both in the growth of its employees, its stock and its land and buildings that has been amassed in the Kansas City metro. Occasional happy hours and a relaxed dress code is a plus as well.

Cons

Cerner is growing to the wealth of dollars that government legislation has unleashed and thus it is still growing. The last time I heard they wanted 20,000 employees by the end of the decade, up from its current 14,000 global employees. With growth comes a lot of re-orgs and managers that are only a few years out of college, I was one of them and the lack of actual seniority and fluidity makes it difficult to have a steady mentor as well as someone that is actually experienced. Cerner is very dependent on your team or what role you're in, so many people's experience in AMS, Development, or Software could be wildly dependent on the teams that they are on.

There is definitely a work hard play hard attitude, with a focus on the work hard and many people work 60+ hours a week. There is definitely a need to step-back and realize that in Kansas city as a newer associate life at Cerner in a travel role is a very life encompassing job. Meaning that you are traveling a lot, working a lot, and there isn't that much left over.

For many people Kansas City in itself is a negative. I personally did not see it that way, but many people did or saw it as a temporary place to live.

Compensation is variable on your organization or what one person say and I personally saw a lot of people have situations where they are on the wrong team at the wrong time and got screwed over and their entire career growth stunted, merely based on situations.

Try to retain the people that want to be there. Even though the view of recent graduates and their expendable nature at Cerner is prevalent, these associates work hard and deserve recognition and fair compensation as they put in the time.

Exciting start, weird culture

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Gym at the WHQ is great!
    The benefits are very decent.
    Management/HR was very understanding and worked with me when I had to take short-term leave due to an emergency surgery.
    Plenty of travel opportunities.
    It is absolutely awesome to work with providers/hospitals/hospital staff!

Cons

First and foremost: the culture. It is almost like a culture of fear. One of the things I remember most about my first day during their Onboarding training was "don't mess up for x reason, or you will always be remembered for x..."

Very much a cult of personality culture as well. Many young people which was nice , but very strange in that it seemed "cult-like" with some people (very hard to describe, and I do not mean to say that this carries to all employees, just a general sense and my opinion).

It is a literal TON of information to digest during the first few months, and it is not easily understood the first time through. I would estimate that 70 percent of what I learned in the first couple of months at Cerner were not used in my day-to-day job after the fact.

You are expected to always be billable (for good reason-you are being paid to ensure that Cerner meets its quarterly goals), however I found that the ways in which managers would try and promote this were fairly unethical at best, and downright lying to clients in terms of work accomplished at worst.

I felt that I could not perform my job adequately with the information I was trained with within a few months of learning the material. It is very difficult to try and learn when you are trained for things which you will never use, and are then expected to immediately know how to build code for a completely different solution.

Most of the day consisted of answering emails and building out different solutions for clients, and becoming increasingly frustrated at the Wiki pages that you are expected to utilize for literally almost everything pertaining to your job build-wise. Very frustrating as I feel that I learn better in a social environment and this wasn't used enough in my opinion.

Compensation was initially average, however the annual raises are awful. It is completely up to your manager who you may or may not see in the office (I saw mine about once or twice a month). Therefore, depends on your personal relationship with your manager.

I believe your long-term goals are great (especially with population health!), however I believe that the culture is not conducive to an atmosphere where you feel valued. The annual raise/review was very poor.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!