Cerner Reviews

Updated 28 September, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 19 reviews)

• Great place to begin a career if you are single and looking to make a lot of money (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 69 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

If they tell you that you have wait for a raise, you won't see it.

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work, you have a chance to influence how healthcare is delivered in the US, some coworkers are incredible, "work hard, play hard" culture is interesting. Stock has outperformed the market almost every year since it went public.

Cons

Too much reliance on rigid work plans are making the new crop of engineers unable to think outside the box for troubleshooting, too many in senior leadership aren't leaders, they just got promoted out of what they excelled at. Tend to get promised the world in a review for "next year", but those promises rarely get delivered upon. Always another "and" getting added to your job duties, but no additional resources are made available.

Pay your production owners what they are worth. There's a reason there's so much turnover in that job...24/7/365 on call, tons more pressure and work, for a 3% raise? At best it's just a stop on the way to a higher paying job at a competitor, a client hospital, or anywhere else.

Great starter company for new grads

Former Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was a great first "real" job out of college. They provide a LOT of on-the-job training. There are a ton of perks like, on-site pharmacy/doctors, on-site day-care, gym, etc.

Cons

The pay is pretty low and they tend to work you a lot! Your work schedule varies a lot depending on your manager. I had one manager who barely knew I existed and I worked the average 40 hours/week but then I moved to another area and worked close to 60 hours a week for months (until I left the company).

Corporation vs People

Current Employee - Support  in  Otherling (Austria)
    Current Employee - Support in Otherling (Austria)

I have been working at Cerner for more than 3 years

Pros

As and observer the company is growing in innovation and in doing so creator of jobs. If you are willing to relocate to Kansas City, then job opportunities seem to be boundless

Cons

Client Site mgmt is the Worse High Turnover at Client Site. No compensation acknowledgement for being #1 performer, MGMT justifies no raise by giving negative rating.

Take time to engage with employees, walk a day in their shoes to better understand the enormity of the workload. Act like a lawyer (case by case) instead of prejudging based on some former bias of previous management, actually reach out and speak with employee(s) If your aware that employee has special needs kid, at least pretend that you care when it comes to employees working 7 day 12+ hour shifts and Chinese OT. Also because the company is so Large and is "Pay Per Performance" acknowledge the numbers, and give Fair pay to the statistics -Facts Don't LIE. I am thankful for electronic recording (email) and incident management system.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All Work, No Play

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great place to start out. Strong stock.

Cons

On-call 24/7. Training is useless.

Have an understanding of what your team actually does. Most manager couldn't do or explain the most basic task of a system engineer.

Not worth your time...

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of resources within the company, plenty of opportunity to travel for both short and long-term engagements, ability to proactively impact healthcare.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, endless on call (regardless of the schedule), expected to drop your personal life at any moment to help out with the smallest issue, severely disconnected management.

Start investing in your own people with salaries that are actually competitive with national standards. Provide training for associates and leave them alone when they are training.

Good

Former Employee - ELT TESTER  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - ELT TESTER in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Cerner as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

company values, perks, work-life balance, office culture

Cons

promotions, training, time-off policies, personal growth.

Software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice working environment and a great opportunity to work with multiple technologies.,

Cons

Kansas City is boring.

Best place to start your career in tech

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
    -They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
    -They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
    -Great place for out of college first salaried job.
    -They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
    -People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
    -Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
    -They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
    -You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
    -Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

Opportunity for career growth, excellent job security, but could use improvement at retaining talent.

Current Employee - Business Developer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cerner leads the market with focused innovation in health care. We excel at forging productive relationships with clients based on the mutual need to more proactively make changes to health care.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that at Cerner we do not invest enough in our home grown talent. A person with excellent foresight, management skills and client relationships may suffer years of below average pay without being utilized for the talents that make that associate excellent.

Actively be looking for excellent associates from within and promote them in meaningful ways that lead to above average pay and challenging initiatives. Do not lose these individuals to other employers as you are now.

Good

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good and excellent to work for

Cons

great and very good to work for

very good

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!