Cerner Reviews

Updated 27 August, 2014

3.6

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Good starting point for your career

Current Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

While the hours are long, a benefit is that all of those hours are not spent in the office. The option to work remotely is a lifesaver.

You learn a lot about the "big business" world very quickly. As someone who was hired straight out of college, it was very eye-opening.

The benefits are incredible. The on-site clinics are great when you can actually get in to see a physician (the wait can be longer than 4 months). The on-site pharmacy is amazing! It's really convenient and affordable.

Cons

Work hours are treacherously long. The salary seems like a great deal in the beginning, but when you realize how many hours your working without overtime pay, it becomes quite the demotivator. With all of the hours I've put in, my hourly pay is less than $10. I can't see myself staying at this company longer than 2 or 3 years if there isn't a change in work-life balance.

There is very little communication between teams. No one really seems to know what other teams do and very few people have the can-do attitude when it comes to helping out other teams. "Not my job, not my problem." Very few people seems worried about output, unless it directly affects their position or team.

There are many inexperienced workers due to the younger culture. I think they tried to nip this in the bud with the velocity training program. However, this training is absolutely useless. It feels like a 4 week waiting room for your real job. The phrase "fake it until you make it" is your work life motto for most people during their first year of employment.

If you have capacity, take time to work together on collaboration projects with other teams. Listening and executing effectively can go a lot further than simply doing enough to cover your own butt.

Show appreciation to the team members who are effectively working well past the 40 hour week - there are at least a few on every single team in this company. Don't just keep piling it on, because you know they can do it. Show them that you know they can and that's why you're giving it to them.

Be prepared for very long, irregular work week

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to begin a career if you are single and looking to make a lot of money. Cerner Management is always on top of things.

Cons

Very long work weeks, irregular hours make for a difficult life/work balance. Be prepared to be married to your laptop/cell phone.

No regrets, but the company drastically changed the 10+ years I was there.

Former Employee - Various  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Various in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most of your fellow associates are great people to work with and really care about their contributions to healthcare. Decent pay and great health benefits.

Cons

Corporate America is swallowing this company up. More emphasis is based on deadlines and metrics than quality. Work/life balance is terrible. Training is baptism by fire.

Associates have numbers but they also have names. And some of them have pretty good idea if you will stop and listen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consider for a career start but don't plan to stay

Former Employee - Withheld  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Withheld in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to get hired as they have huge volumes of turnover in the KC area and other sites. Can get hired with little to no experience. Salaries can potentially be competitive depending on the position and how much of a crunch the department with the position is in.

Cons

Work environment and general experience can vary based on where you get hired so I am speaking only from my own experience. I worked in one of their IT Works sites which was very poorly managed. Long hours due to lack of planning or poor structuring with no thanks, compensation or reward for getting things done. Word was that nearly all the IT Works sites were like this and are generally considered a joke by the rest of the company. The helpdesk is also a miserable place to work I've been told and also suffered from very high turnover.

Compensation may start off respectable (emphasis on "may") but expect 0-3% raises if you decide to stay year after year even if you put in the 60+ hour work weeks that are expected or sprung on you at the last minute. It was not rare to be told at 4pm on a Friday that we would be expected to work through the weekend. Management would then be absent from the extra hours and it was common to come in only to stand around and not know what we were there to do.

Most of the management level people I encountered were clueless about nearly everything. Most knew very little about technology and had zero in the way of technical understanding which resulted in ideas or initiatives that were either unreasonable or flat out impossible. I suspect they are also trained to not listen to their employees and treat communication as a one-way street based on the behavior I encountered. Additionally they knew nothing about company structure and policies. Questions about how to fix a submitted time sheet or where to find information about benefits or corporate related material was almost always met by being told to ask someone else or to look it up on your own.

In all honestly this is not a company I would recommend if you have a decent amount of professional experience and the career potential to work some place else. To sum it up I would compare it to a McDonalds or Walmart in terms of how it operates: Mostly staffed and operated by young, underpaid kids where it's very likely to be their first corporate job or laid off refugees from other companies just happy to have a paycheck again overseen by barely literate overzealous types who don't know the first thing about IT or managing but can recite the company cheer forwards and backwards and wouldn't think twice about getting the company logo tattooed across their chest.

Final note, they had surprisingly poor health insurance for a health care company.

Lead by example. Understand that managing is a two way street not just what your employees do to make you look good. You have obligations to those below you as well. Try actually showing up to meetings and interacting with your team. It also probably helps to know what it is your department actually does and understand the work that your team does.

Working at Cerner is fast paced and challenging, but can be a great place to start your career

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Intern  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Intern in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The company is always looking for new innovations. As an internal systems engineer I have worked on several upgrades or new software deploys in a very short time. The culture is like nothing I had seen before, everyone passionately working together to help the business win. And the business is winning. Also, I get a discount at just about every place I have ever shopped in Kansas City. Kinda nice perk.

Cons

The benefits are not all that great other than the stock discount (this makes it attractive to leave after a few years when you realize retirement is not looking any better). The hard core culture often instilled from the very top can be very exhausting which is why you see a 24% annual turnover rate, a problem senior leadership fails to address. The reputation here is that they will work you to death, and if you are not careful burnout will happen fast. I would also like to mention the stories I have heard of public firings during corporate events. I have never witnessed this, but I see the fear all around me of losing your job for a mistake that has visibility to the top. The story goes that one associate answered a question poorly during a town hall and was let go the same day. Pretty awful stuff and bad way to run

Seriously evaluate the work-life balance problem that you force upon many of your associates. The young culture here is very nice, but the question always on my mind is, "Why is nobody technical on my team older than 25?"

Also, it seems like management is too quick to bail on an idea and hurry off to the next technology that they hear is the latest and greatest. As a result, there is a lot of "shelf-ware" that was halfway deployed and nobody was ever trained on, but we still invest hundreds of thousands annually in for licensing.

delivery consultant

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company that's taking advantage of a growing Industry. You can change positions after 18 months.

Everybody is young, smart and good looking (if you're a DC).

Typically, you can work remotely after a year and a half or 2.

Cons

You have to move to Kansa City. Kansas City is not that cool. When you get hired, you have no idea where you will end up. It's luck of the draw.

It's hard to go out and meet people that aren't Cerner employees.

Some of you seem cool. Some of you don't. I do'nt work with management much.

Cerner is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Operations Support Specialist  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Support Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have great focus on health and well being of their associates. Competitive pay, and benefits also.

Cons

Cerner can be a very demanding place to work. Some roles don't seem to have enough work/life balance.

Poor people skills in management go unnoticed.. I've seen some very cruel people in authority. Leadership training would benefit many.

Great place to learn the ropse

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starting pay is decent. Personal growth, you will learn where you want to go quickly. Ability to move around on different teams if your leadership is supportive.

Cons

Big place. Hard to stand out. If leadership sees fit they can deny internal transfers because of "business need". Basically they can give you litter to no explanation and keep you doing something you do not enjoy.

Be more consistent and transparent. Also do a better job recognizing people who work the hardest. Stop being "buddy buddy" with certain associates and take the time to get to know your other employees. If they feel you care about them maybe they won't be afraid to speak up and step outside their shell.

It has been a positive experience.

Current Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard work that challenges you each day.

Cons

i do not have any cons

i do not have any advice for management

Overworked

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent Pay- Opportunities for Growth

Cons

No work life balance, too much work load and not enough employees to handle it.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!