Cerner Reviews

Updated 29 October, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 73 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Integration Architect

Current Employee - Senior Integration Architect
    Current Employee - Senior Integration Architect

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cerner is a great company to work for. Over the years they have been very innovative and have changed with the market demands - somethings a bit late and other times on track. Their client and associate learning services offerings have come a long ways and are now very sophisticated and provide great value for investment.

Cons

It is very hard to get a Director promotion outside of living in Kansas City.

Don't lose the corporate culture by expanding too fast. Make sure that Siemens acquisition is done with some foresight.

Great

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

awesome place to start of a long-term career

Cons

long hours and travel can get tiring, but lots of rewards associated

Great Place

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Good place to work in career

Cons

None that I can think of, lots of opportunity

Good people, good mgmt, lots of work

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Level bump after one year coupled with a 9% raise
    - Work is challenging and rewarding at times
    - Those who perform well are recognized and appreciated

Cons

- Unreal expectations at times
    - Silos, associates rarely step out of their day-to-day work environment

- Give associates the opportunity to diversify more in their daily job functions
    - Don't lose perspective

High School Internship

I worked at Cerner

Pros

You can learn a lot stuff from the High School Internship

Cons

You need to learn everything by yourself

Maybe we should have some training program for the High School Internship

Good first job

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, young, quick paced.

Cons

Salary was alright but could've been better. Raises are good but need to start at high level.

Good experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good leadership and able to gain more technical knowledge; encourages healthy living

Cons

No annual bonus or stock benefits

Great Place to get a start

Current Employee - Senior Engagement Leader in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engagement Leader in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to get a start in business, excellent learning opportunities with the ability to learn and put ideas into action. Flexibility with most of management on working hours and location depending on situation. competitive compensation (but not the best).

Cons

Cerner is a VERY busy company and "expects" employees to work their 48 plus hours per week. Travel policies are interesting at times, and really have no regards for the person. Health Insurance is questionable in value, and has some interesting rules as it is very much focused on the "healthy person". Promotion is very incestuous within individual organizations, hard to move up into leadership or management.

You will be overworked and overwhelmed at times which is part of the reason that have such a high turn over rate.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is good and you get to work with really smart people.

Cons

You get hired based on business need not skill which puts most associates at a disadvantage.

If you continue to higher on business need instead of building on skills associates come in with, the training should be more robust

Best if placed in good team

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Definitely a best place to work if you have a passion for technology and you are placed in a team you love(interms of technology). Cerner has lot of technologies to explore, but I woudnt be speaking alot on this as my colleagues told lot about the company.
    I would like to give intro about nasty placement after dev center program. every software engineer hired will go through this program
    pros:
    you learn under mentoring
    high pressure- positive
    good mentors
    you improve your skills before joining a team, by working on sample project just like school

Cons

after they think you are fit to join real team, they call something called graduation in Dev center and you will asked to give a demo to all managers and the managers rank you according to ranks. However we were not given choices in ranking the teams or opting few atleast. the ranking is not shown to employees and decided internally

they say they ran the associate-team matching algorithm, which is like best marraige principle which doesnt make any sense in some situations. I have seen couple of associates who joined a team, who have not attended the demo.
    that is usually the internal politics and I belive every company has this. but the real speciality comes here, people are very much biased here and they place you in a team which works on UI and you need to convert your path from back end dev to UI. When you speak regarding this to your HR they would threaten/ convince you that you need to do UI before you get backend job as if HR has worked for years. They dont even know single thing about coding and trying to judge others. Its always from their perspective, only managers are allowed to come to us and we were not allowed to contact the managers. The entire process is really weird. I dont understand the entire point in working if I'm given a role which is not my expertise. y do u try to judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree.

If a process is followed make sure, its same for everyone. The main problem I see with many employees is that, we are given to work on latest technologies in dev center and then placed in team which uses absoluete technologies.