Cerner Reviews

Updated 18 September, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Opportunity for career growth, excellent job security, but could use improvement at retaining talent.

Current Employee - Business Developer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cerner leads the market with focused innovation in health care. We excel at forging productive relationships with clients based on the mutual need to more proactively make changes to health care.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that at Cerner we do not invest enough in our home grown talent. A person with excellent foresight, management skills and client relationships may suffer years of below average pay without being utilized for the talents that make that associate excellent.

Actively be looking for excellent associates from within and promote them in meaningful ways that lead to above average pay and challenging initiatives. Do not lose these individuals to other employers as you are now.

Best place to start your career in tech

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
    -They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
    -They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
    -Great place for out of college first salaried job.
    -They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
    -People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
    -Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
    -They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
    -You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
    -Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

Good

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good and excellent to work for

Cons

great and very good to work for

very good

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places to start your career.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a great training program for new graduates and even high school kids.
    Competitive pay and good benefits, including on site clinic and free access to the gym.

Cons

The organizations are constantly changing so you have to be able to adapt to changes quickly.

Alot of office politics

Former Employee - Test Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leaving early on some Fridays. My managers were really flexible with my school schedule. Their innovations were really cool to be apart of and learn about. Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in. You are surrounded by alot of your peers as alot employees are young, which can be good and bad. Laid back atmosphere for the most part.

Cons

There was alot of favortism, politics, and can be unorganized on projects. Communication can be akward as so many managers live by the motto "no feedback is good feedback" versus being proactive in their subordinates professional develpment.

Be more involved in the development of your associates, and not just the ones you admire. Ambuguity is ok until it gets to the point where most including the manager needs to either be retrained or have no clue how to move forward on the project. Understand that quality over quantiy is more valuable despite client deadlines, therefore set appropriate expectations.

Unlimited Opportunities

Current Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started at Cerner right out of college and I have found our leadership to be very supportive and empowering to help me learn, grow, and consistently be challenged in my work. They provide great health benefits and have a relaxed work environment.

Cons

As deadlines loom, the number of hours you work can increase.

Continue to lead, in both the health care AND technology industries, to ensure we're cutting edge and never behind the curve.

Don't believe everything you hear

Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well established. Good policies procedures, and employee self help systems.

Cons

Goal Oriented, poor or improper communication. From the goal oriented stand point they don't care if you work 60 hour work weeks they just want the goal met and have a quality outcome. they set AGGRESSIVE deadlines and offer little to no help for you to accomplish the task in time for the deadline in fact they usually saddle you with 15-20 hours of additional work each week that impedes your ability to accomplish your goal and then reviews you poorly for the effort. They like to dangle mythical carrots in front of their associates. Usuallay they will hand you a large promotion and tell you you need to perform in this role for 6 months then assuming your review is acceptable you will get the compensation ..... !!!!WARNING!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS. Get everything in writing and use your initial on boarding to negotiate your compensation and benefits. IF you don't get this established immediately on hire don't expect it to ever come.

I was promoted 7 months ago. I received a "meets expectations" on my positional review stating "no associate performing duties in a role for less than a year can receive a grade above meets expectations, regardless of work ethic, work quality, goal completion, or peer review" so I worked an everage of 45-55 hours a week gave so many weekend and evening I lost count got exceptional reviews on my project completions and daily tasks and got an mediocre review. That compensation they promised with the huge promotion ended up being 3K annually (2.6%) so basically they arranged to have me work 10-20% more handle vastly more responsibility for the same pay as I was making in my lower level position. When questioned they said unfortunately you will have to perform this role for another year before we can adequately compensate you .... YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

STOP LYING TO YOUR GOOD ASSOCIATES AND START GIVING THEM WHAT YOU PROMISE AND WHAT THEY DESERVE

Great starter company for new grads

Former Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was a great first "real" job out of college. They provide a LOT of on-the-job training. There are a ton of perks like, on-site pharmacy/doctors, on-site day-care, gym, etc.

Cons

The pay is pretty low and they tend to work you a lot! Your work schedule varies a lot depending on your manager. I had one manager who barely knew I existed and I worked the average 40 hours/week but then I moved to another area and worked close to 60 hours a week for months (until I left the company).

Not worth your time...

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of resources within the company, plenty of opportunity to travel for both short and long-term engagements, ability to proactively impact healthcare.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, endless on call (regardless of the schedule), expected to drop your personal life at any moment to help out with the smallest issue, severely disconnected management.

Start investing in your own people with salaries that are actually competitive with national standards. Provide training for associates and leave them alone when they are training.

Corporation vs People

Current Employee - Support  in  Otherling (Austria)
    Current Employee - Support in Otherling (Austria)

I have been working at Cerner for more than 3 years

Pros

As and observer the company is growing in innovation and in doing so creator of jobs. If you are willing to relocate to Kansas City, then job opportunities seem to be boundless

Cons

Client Site mgmt is the Worse High Turnover at Client Site. No compensation acknowledgement for being #1 performer, MGMT justifies no raise by giving negative rating.

Take time to engage with employees, walk a day in their shoes to better understand the enormity of the workload. Act like a lawyer (case by case) instead of prejudging based on some former bias of previous management, actually reach out and speak with employee(s) If your aware that employee has special needs kid, at least pretend that you care when it comes to employees working 7 day 12+ hour shifts and Chinese OT. Also because the company is so Large and is "Pay Per Performance" acknowledge the numbers, and give Fair pay to the statistics -Facts Don't LIE. I am thankful for electronic recording (email) and incident management system.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!