Cerner Reviews

Updated 29 September, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Great place to begin a career if you are single and looking to make a lot of money (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 70 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Work Hard, gain valuable experience.

Current Employee - Engagement Leader  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Engagement Leader in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunity to begin a career.

Cons

Lack of veteran seasoned management

Work on talent retention, especially moving people out of support.

Very good innovative company to work with

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary, Good benefits, Leader in its field, Global presence

Cons

Less campus recruitment. Need reference get through.

A Positive Move, A Positive Experience, Excited to be a part of the Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Generally speaking and being relatively new, I have found the whole experience to be quite positive, from the initial interview process through the on-boarding efforts - I have been here about 6-8 months and have found that my peers and teammates have been more than helpful in getting me prepared and then fully engaged in my role. I am impressed with the vision and the culture that Cerner has created and pleased with their efforts to capture, communicate and maintain the culture. It's refreshing to be a part of a growing company with a vision well beyond the tactical. The Continuous Campus is a fantastic facility and the amenities/benefits of the facility are top-notch. Some of the goals related to improving Health, improving care and the investment in Kansas City are also areas that I find to be inspiring and glad to be a part of.

Cons

Its a growing large company - and coming in 'new' there are many folks who have had years of Cerner background and knowledge - which lends to having to search for the subject matter expert or understand what department or team is responsible for certain things - But, there are centralized portals and Wiki's sites that help facilitate the communication and help you navigate through the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding peer and managerial support

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone I've met has been very supportive and accommodating. I can call up any of my co-workers with a question and they would be willing to help. My manager is outstanding and works hard to coach me in advancing my career.

Cons

You have to teach yourself a lot. Training is provided, but there is so much more that you need to know. The resources are out there, but you must make the effort and take the time to find them.

You are doing the right thing. I have seen great strides in the availability of resources and support. I know we are moving in the right direction.

Great

I worked at Cerner for less than a year

Pros

Flexile schedule and the travel can be great at times. The culture is also very young and exciting as well as innovative. Great opportunity for advancement

Cons

Depending on which department you start in the hours can be very long at times. Depending on which role and how much you travel it can be a lot to handle

Salary increased 140% over 10 years.

Current Employee - Mid-level manager / Software architect  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Mid-level manager / Software architect in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. Pay
    In my experience, the majority (75%) of US software engineers get a 3% annual raise. Top 10% get 6% and top 3% get 9% raises consistently each year. Raises are merit based. Higher performance equals better pay.

Leveling up / promotion increases pay range and can net an additionally large increase of 10+%.

*I'm not positive but believe most early career developers in India get larger merit based raises -- ~9% rather than 3% is status quo.

Executives get performance bonuses, stock options, etc. Early career developers do not! High performing non-exec developers can get stock options during the annual review time if they meet stringent criteria.

2. Learning
    While Cerner has self-study and instructor led class offerings, you will learn a tremendous amount on the job and from collaboration with peers. I joined with basic knowledge of one primary software coding language. I have used more than 10 languages on various projects over time. With over 2000 engineers on staff, a lot is learned through collaboration via online forums ( think about an internal Stack Overflow website ).

Cerner spends a tremendous amount of time coaching associates to be team leads, managers, and executives. The leadership training is first class and has frequent involvement from senior executives. Training is more advanced for US engineering than India engineering currently but improving in India.

3. Endless projects
    After a month of settling in with training, etc - you will get a project. After three months, you will feel more comfortable with meeting expectations. At four months, you will be handed more responsibility and become aware there is a lot that you do not know. After about a year, you will become a productive associate. You will quickly find out that software projects are never 'done.' There will always be feature upgrades, repairs, and new capabilities to add. The project backlog is endless.

tl;dr -- There is plenty of work to do. You will not be counting the hours for your shift to end due to boredom.

4. Career opportunities
    There are a couple hundred development teams and a couple thousand developers. Just about every technology and software language you can imagine is leveraged ( desktop apps, servers, cloud, windows, linux, mobile ( apple, windows, android ), web, hardware, virtualization, big data, automation, ruby/python/perl/java/c++/c/vb/groovy/sql/ccl/html/javascript/etc ).

Bored, stagnant, don't like your peers? Stick out your current team for 18 months and switch to something new. Tired of development? I know several associates that started out as software developers and transitioned into system engineer, consulting, sales, client managers, support, or management roles. Want to repot? With clients all over the US and in several other countries, you can relocate to different offices. This is particularly true if you speak fluent Spanish or French. Most development is done in KC but engineering types skills are needed everywhere.

Cons

A pro for clients and stakeholders is a con for associates. Like ALL profitable companies, you are paid for results rather than effort. While most developers average 45 hours per week over the course of a year, there will be times you must work considerable more.

Cerner will not 'require' you to work extra hours but you may struggle with life/work balance as an individual. Honestly, you can work 24 hours a day and never 'finish' the project backlog. This means you must have the self-discipline to shut-down for the day at a time that works for you. However, Cerner takes the balance consideration seriously. Managers typically monitor for excessive work hours and will hound you to take vacation, give you help via capacity, or provide comp time.

Most early career associates aspire to make more money fast. To get better raises, you have to outperform peers with similar experience. Few associates can notably produce more results in the same time as their peers. As result, some ambitious associates choose to work more until their experience improves to the point they can work 'smarter' to generate higher productivity.

1. Give bonus incentives to all associates that align with executive incentives to accomplish top imperatives.
    2. Keep performing one on one discussions to stay in sync and help associates overcome obstacles.
    3. Consider having managers work as coaches only rather than player/coach. A manager that is 'playing' individual contributor cannot 'coach' and enable his or her associates with great efficiency or effectiveness.

Not bad

Current Employee - Software Analyst  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Software Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent Pay, Nice Buildings, Growing Company, Good Co-workers

Cons

Working phones, pretty much tech support

Wonderful Experience get to learn alot from many qualified Network Engineers

Current Employee - Apprentice  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere awards go getters. You get out what you put in. Don't be lazy and expect advancement.

Cons

The Network space I think should be moved back to the way it should be with all of the Engineers sitting in the same area for collaboration.

Worthwhile

Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and open. There are many opportunities to move around and grown in the company.

Cons

As a velocity consultant intern, the program does not allow for an intern to attend talks and summits sponsored by Cerner as the internship is too structured.

Allow employees to live in cities other than Kansas City.

Fast paced and understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, overall culture is good, on-site clinic for KC employees is very good. Cerner stock given for 401k match has done well historically.

Cons

Some teams are much better than others, and they aren't the ones that have lots of openings to move into. In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance. Company is understaffed in many areas - with some recent events, I suspect too much money was spent on the recent acquisition and many areas have been left underfunded. Reviews are pooled, so someone doesn't get a raise even if everyone performs well. If you want to move up fast try to get to a fast growing area like population health. Some people act incredibly entitled and arrogant as if they are the only ones who do anything important in the company.

Growth is good, just make sure it's under control

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!