Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place for a new college grad!

Delivery Consultant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are great, I genuinely enjoy working with everyone on my team! If you are smart and hard working it should be a good place to advance your career.

ConsIt's a lot of work and things come at you from every direction.

Overworked, Underpaid, Underappreciated

Solution Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA lot of 'cool' people to work with. Most managers don't micro manage (there are definitely excpetions)

ConsLeadership that doesn't value their employees. One executive recently said that "you are all replaceable" speaking with a team. The hours that are expected to be worked are insane. Vacation and holidays count against your billable time so when you go on vacation, you are expected to make that up by working more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees- regardless or rank - they are your biggest asset.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time

ProsLeadership and Learning Opportunities, the work culture is dynamic. Collaborative environment.

ConsTeams need to think and focus as one in order to achieve great results! Sometimes it does not happen.

Good resume builder

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner

ProsExcellent company to work for looks great on your resume! Definitely a good start to get your foot in the door

ConsUnderstaffed, underpaid, too many responsibilities, inconsiderate management staff when it comes to employee safety. Hard to grow within the company.

Truly altruistic employees who care about healthcare systems, run by management who believe they are accountants.

Engagement LEader (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with experts in healthcare. QLD region seems to be heading in right direction. Starting to understand importance of tailoring approach for local market. Less arrogant in attitude. Solid platform.

ConsSnr management clueless on budget management. Sales staff who don't understand IT implementations and a culture that stifles change and quality improvement.
Project manager's who can't manage projects and architects who have no idea of systems architecture. Heirarchical management structure which appears to serve no practical purpose other than to create ever complex job naming conventions to satisfy egos and doesn't allow for responsibility or organisational reactiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff, get rid of US centric outlook, reduce hierarchy and become flexible, with methodology; understand the most appropriate practice and employ some proper engineering principles rather than what is considered 'best practice'.

Great Company to Build Experience

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsHire a lot of college students- put a lot of time and investment into their training programs
Great place to build experience and learn about the healthcare industry
Awesome culture that promotes healthy living with their onsite facilities (Clinic, Gym Swimming pool)
Nice people who are willing to help you with your career development

ConsLow Pay (current salary puts me in the 15th percentile in the marketplace)
It's difficult to move up as a Business Analyst
Very political, most advancement opportunities are offered to the executive development program associates, regardless of your performance they will get paid significantly higher, and get more opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your young people. You lose a lot of talent because you're unwilling to offer competitive salaries.

Could be Worse

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

ProsConvenient onsite clinic & gym
Decent starting salary
There are opportunities to use some bleeding edge technologies
Lots of really smart people

For prospective engineers:

Cerner is a good place to start a career. It's pretty easy to get a job here and you'll learn a lot pretty quickly.

If you are really into computer science, Cerner might be a good choice for you. There are teams working some bleeding edge technologies.

If you are really into red tape and processes then Cerner is a good choice for you.

If you like strict adherence to style guides and love linters and crave pedantic rants about how said style guides supersede said linters then you'll be in for a treat.

If you are an experienced developer with the skills, knowledge, and drive that could land you a job with the Google's and Amazon's of the world but prefer a good old fashion midwest winter then Cerner is a good choice.

ConsThe health insurance is pretty bad, if you have a family your gonna have a 3 or 4 thousand dollar deductible so be ready to max out that FSA

You only get 8 paid holiday days... they don't even give you Mr. Luther King Jr. Day off!

Parking sucks, if you accept a position then you better try and negotiate a parking spot on campus.

For engineers:

If you are even remotely business minded, this is probably not the place for you. Cerner is ripe with waste. During my tenure I don't think I worked on a single product that ever turned a profit and most of them I knew would be complete wastes of time from the get go. I've watched a sizable group of engineers sit idle for months working on busy work as the business was trying to figure out what the product they were assembled to work on was suppose to do.

If you are really into software engineering then this is probably not the best place for you. I've encountered some pretty atrocious code during my employment. I've seen things like single classes over 5,000 lines with no automated tests, Blocks of code so nested you'd have to scroll horizontally in the IDE to be able to see some of the statements, the use if/then/else statements with instanceOf's instead of polymorphism... I'm partially convinced that Robert Martin must have worked here at one point in time and his experiences were the inspiration for "Clean Code".

If you are a firm believer in agile development then this is not a good place for you. They claim they are agile, but the only thing they do that is agile is hold the ceremonies. If you've worked at an agile shop and really enjoyed it then you'll be thoroughly disappointed. At Cerner I often heard the expression "there are no agile police", but if there were they'd have no trouble meeting their quotas here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for some accountability

Cerner Technical Engagement Leader

Technical Engagement Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsFast paced and energetic. The company is full of hard workers. The salary is right on target.

ConsExpect you to work a 50 hour week or more. Often on call. Expects you to know everything right away and with little or no training, just wiki pages that you have access to.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew managers shouldn't expect people coming in from outside of the company to know everything. Many managers have been "raised" Cerner. New managers don't seem to realize that that isn't the case for everyone.

It has been a great career starter.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExperience, travel, networking, relationships, culture, benefits, fitness center.

ConsLong hours happen, but are not on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeeing salaries on upper management and then seeing the budgets slashed for things that we need is not cool.

I was an software development intern at Cerner.

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Housing provided with other interns, so easy to find things to do
-Tech Talks
-Hack Week (extra project done outside of work for prizes)
-cafeteria on site
-gym at Innovations and HQ campuses
-Manager and mentor available for consultation

Cons-loud work environment for work. Half walls in module environment makes phone calls heard everywhere.
-Housing was in dorms, so roommate required. Often loud/hard to sleep if room near common area

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you interact more with your interns, as future employees, we want to see that.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 506 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.