Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important)(in 17 reviews)

• Great place to start a carrier and build your resume(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all(in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours,(in 58 reviews)

Test analyst

ProsNo micro management
    Very friendly environment

ConsNo cons i can think of right now

Friendly people, fast environment, great resources!

Early Childhood Teacher (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsGreat hours, rotating day off each week, leadership team is great!

ConsTeam mentality is always used, not all people on my team are team players

Fast-paced and great company to work for overall.

ProsThere are a lot of career opportunities and room to grow. The culture and benefits are great!

ConsWork-life balance can be off at times, depending on the role responsibilities and the time of year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company, with an excellent vision that focuses on what matters - patient care.

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAutonomy. Has the correct priorities. Staff culture is fantastic. Big company, part of a much bigger healthcare community. Enormous opportunities for personal development. Really can become the master of your own destiny.

ConsSometimes can lack structure. You have to write your own exam question to answer. Some failures in leadership can resonate throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan to write a cohesive, organisation wide plan.

Business Apprentice

Business Apprentice (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsEligible for all the benefits as a full time associate, 401k, stocks, gym membership. I could not think of a better way to get your foot in the door with an incredibly successful company. As of 6.6.14 I have been with the company 2 years and can't think of any place I'd rather be.

ConsHit or miss with management. Some apprentices get great roles with up and coming and developed teams doing real work, others get stuck literally ordering coffee and doing the grunt intern work. Inconsistency!

Cerner is a growing company with many opportunities for the career-minded

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCasual atmosphere, and fast-paced environment

Consannual reviews and compensation can be a point of disappointment for many associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you market Cerner as a "pay for performance" company then it should be that. I would also like to see more part time or work from home opportunities.

Great Company

Software Architect (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsLots of opportunities for growth, new challenges, reasonable hours and you're in charge of your own growth. There's no limit to the technology that you'll get to use. Great culture.

ConsI really don't have any - I love what I do, and my team is great.

Good company to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits, work life balance, good company to start your career.

ConsFood is bad, Selection process needs improvement.

Great company, remember you have a life outside work

Engagement Leader (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCerner provides a lot of career growth and training/learning opportunities. Leadership encourages associates to keep moving forward and own their careers. The mission of the company is one to believe in, and our products and services are ever improving.

The benefits are fantastic, and the healthy (or Healthe) culture is also hard to beat. There are three gyms in the Kansas City area, many fitness classes, several tools available for tracking your lifestyle, and also an understanding that sometimes people take a break during the day to work out.

ConsThe encouragement (and competition) to keep achieving tends to push people (especially Type A personalities like myself) to their limits. High pressure can be a good thing, and sometimes you have to work a little longer to get things done. However, the constant pressure associates put on themselves to reach the corporate goals often leads to burnout in a short amount of time. There are some policies in place to encourage working over 40 hours a week, however there is no corporate incentive to work 60+ hours which is what tends to happen in some organizations. I don't think this is the fault of the company though; I believe it is more of a cultural problem due to us seeing our co-workers putting in 65 hours a week and feeling like we aren't trying hard enough. (Therefore, we feel we, too, need to put in 60+ hours.)

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your associates to work more efficiently and remind them to have a life outside work. There are so many talented associates that work at the company, and they need to be reminded that it's okay to leave work before 6 and leave their laptops off all night.

Lots of opportunity

Solution Architect (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsThere are so many professional opportunities. The office culture is positive. You gain a ton of valueable consulting experience.

ConsWork life balance. If you work 40 hours a week, you're an under-acheiver. I also don't like that there are very few minorities in leadership and management roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore formal training and more competitive compensation

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!