Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun Internship

I have been working at Cerner

ProsRelaxed, fun environment for interns. Get introduced to many aspects of the company

ConsOften times I had too much downtime where I had nothing to do

Great Start to a Career

Software Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros- Location, KC is great!
- On campus clinic
- Benefits are pretty good
- Lots to learn
- New and emerging technology
- Great sense of accomplishment

Cons- Low Pay as compared to working directly with clients (hospitals)
- I would argue the metrics system used to track employee performance could be tuned better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more. Although leaving Cerner was not an easy decision, i found that i could do that same work at a Hospital and get paid much more generously. Thus, I view Cerner as a training facility... you pay your dues there and then find a job elsewhere with your newly acquired skills.

New here, but very happy so far.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsInteresting work, highly marketable skills for future employment, friendly coworkers, good support from immediate supervisors, flexibility and autonomy to find solutions to problems. jeans casual office environment is great for my dry-cleaning bill, always something new to learn and plenty of people to teach in a constructive, collaborative manner.

Conswork-life balance (not as bad as I expected), longer hours expected, limited gym access at some campuses, parallel processes can create inefficiency in some areas where different groups of people are working over and around each other on the same problems--matrix structure can be a little too "matrix" at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue emphasis on Lean Six Sigma process improvement so that it fully meshes with the culture. It's a long journey to get there, but it's worthwhile and Cerner is already on the right path.

Challanging

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGreat facilities, clean, fun, the pay is good. Managers seem to be easy to get along with.

ConsNo overtime pay, long hours, tough to get the hang of things. Managers have high expectations and aren't really down to earth.

Challenging and Rewarding

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsAlways room for advancement. Personal Development. Leading edge of Healthcare and Technology.

ConsLots of competition. Difficult, but not impossible, to make a name for yourself and stand out.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see more team building. I have been on my new team for months and still do not know everyone. This makes it difficult to leverage other's skills.

Cerner Has A Strong Name In Kansas City

Medical Billing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat room for advancement (After your initial 18 months)
Gives your opportunity to learn and show off skills
Compensation (Except for entry level)
Work/Life balance (Take vacation and flex easily)
Excellent PTO and UNLIMITED SICK TIME
Great benefits
Management is laid back and very friendly

ConsThings are always changing
Parking can suck

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease the amount of time before you can transfer from 18 months to 12 months.

Velocity Analyst

Velocity Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsProcess took about three weeks from phone interview till offer. Went to experience cerner day, they had a presentation before two different interview sessions. Star questions mostly, be prepared.

ConsOverall experience way good, experience cerner day could have been a little better though.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Your experience depends on your role, your manager, and the culture of the organization you land in.

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you land in the right role and management buys in to the culture HR tries to push, you will enjoy flexibility and a slew of onsite benefits (gym, classes, cafeteria, clinic, and pharmacy.) There are some really good people here and they make the job.

ConsMost struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management.

Additionally, Cerner hires the majority of it's employees right out of college, allowing them to pay minimally compared to other employers in the market (recruits don't know better). While compensation targets are competitive to the market - they never pay you at your target. Unless you go in to sales, traveling delivery consultant, or a senior management you won't be seeing the $$.

Cerner undervalues tenure, and you get no pay increase for getting your masters degree and minimal for promotions. However, they do hire in people into an "executive training" program and put them in high impact positions with high compensation despite a lack of training (over more deserving tenured employees.)

Advice to Senior Management50-50 shot on whether or not the senior management is worth what they are getting paid. Some work very hard and deserve their success; some push their work on new associates and take credit without a real understanding of how to grow their business/innovate.

Good Work Ambience

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Good salary
2. Many young people around
3. Secured jobs, since you specialize in their applications

Cons1. Not much to explore on work
2. Not great management in terms of work related issues.

Advice to Senior Managementmake Cerner more happening in terms of work and project, because it keeps employees motivated.

The change of jobs every 18 months means often leadership lack experience in the space they lead.

I have been working at Cerner full-time

ProsSome great high energy co-workers. If you are a young professional good opportunities, just be prepared to work very long hours and often being treated less than respectfully.

ConsMy experience is that while the organization feels they are the best they over promise to clients. Leadership don't like to address or often admit when there are problems. There are mixed messages to teams regularly leaving them without clarity in direction. I am certain there are exceptions to this.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best thing the leadership team could do is to provide stable Execs so the teams have mature, experienced leaders to consult with and address problems in leaders promptly.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 506 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.