Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important)(in 17 reviews)

• Great place to start a carrier and build your resume(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all(in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours,(in 58 reviews)

Its a ok company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

Prospretty young friendly crowd.

Consnot enough vacation, not enough pay, management is not very good either.

Advice to Senior Managementthose people who talk a lot aren't necessarily the one doing most of the work.

Good company to start as fresher

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosgood pay
    very helpful team
    good domain

Consas its a product based company we have very less onsite opportunities

Exciting start, weird culture

Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsThe Gym at the WHQ is great!
    The benefits are very decent.
    Management/HR was very understanding and worked with me when I had to take short-term leave due to an emergency surgery.
    Plenty of travel opportunities.
    It is absolutely awesome to work with providers/hospitals/hospital staff!

ConsFirst and foremost: the culture. It is almost like a culture of fear. One of the things I remember most about my first day during their Onboarding training was "don't mess up for x reason, or you will always be remembered for x..."

Very much a cult of personality culture as well. Many young people which was nice , but very strange in that it seemed "cult-like" with some people (very hard to describe, and I do not mean to say that this carries to all employees, just a general sense and my opinion).

It is a literal TON of information to digest during the first few months, and it is not easily understood the first time through. I would estimate that 70 percent of what I learned in the first couple of months at Cerner were not used in my day-to-day job after the fact.

You are expected to always be billable (for good reason-you are being paid to ensure that Cerner meets its quarterly goals), however I found that the ways in which managers would try and promote this were fairly unethical at best, and downright lying to clients in terms of work accomplished at worst.

I felt that I could not perform my job adequately with the information I was trained with within a few months of learning the material. It is very difficult to try and learn when you are trained for things which you will never use, and are then expected to immediately know how to build code for a completely different solution.

Most of the day consisted of answering emails and building out different solutions for clients, and becoming increasingly frustrated at the Wiki pages that you are expected to utilize for literally almost everything pertaining to your job build-wise. Very frustrating as I feel that I learn better in a social environment and this wasn't used enough in my opinion.

Compensation was initially average, however the annual raises are awful. It is completely up to your manager who you may or may not see in the office (I saw mine about once or twice a month). Therefore, depends on your personal relationship with your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe your long-term goals are great (especially with population health!), however I believe that the culture is not conducive to an atmosphere where you feel valued. The annual raise/review was very poor.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was good until some manager doesn't like you or you grow past the "desired age range"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou gain a great insight into Healtcare and if you work "client facing" you get to see more of what Healthcare is for the nurses and doctors that work each day for their patients. You can gain a technical background if you are clinical and a clinical perspective if you are technical.

ConsIt seems that most of the people that survive the longest are the non boat rockers. The conformist to the work culture. If you are a pro company person you will do well. But that may be at the expense of your clients. Timelines to implement their systems are strenuous to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that from the beginning when clients are designing their systems that you spend more time in helping them design a system and before they are ready to Go Live plan on optimization of the original design and adjusting the system to better facilitate the clinical resources that will be using it.

Okay place to work

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsNice Facilities, competitive pay, collaborative team environment

ConsWork/Life Balance can be a struggle at times

Decent place to start.

Seasonal Intern (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGreat work environment. Not too stressful. Good work life balance. Friendly people.

ConsGrowth rate is slow and most of the work includes assisting your associates in other countries as the bangalore division is relatively young.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe growth rate should be more steep.

Good Company but too many restrictions around moving to different teams and gaining exposure.

ProsStrong immigration team
    Agile environment
    Good scope to work on new projects (depending on the team)

ConsNot much career progression
    Pay hikes are really low

Tough Love

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsGreat benefits and compensation. Wonderful exposure to multiple platforms of technology.

ConsThe company can work you to the bone. The learning curve is high and it is very possible to drown. On-call shifts for many positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on encouraging work-life balance.

Impressive

Technology Consultant (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1)Superb Company to start off your career.
    2)Good pay
    3)Good work culture. No real tensions
    4)Good on-site opportunities if you're a technology consultant.

Cons1)Some managers believe in politics
    2)Not a great choice for "developers"

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play politics while deciding hike.

Test analyst

ProsNo micro management
    Very friendly environment

ConsNo cons i can think of right now

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!