Cbeyond

Cbeyond Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger

Jim Geiger

Pros:
  • "Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world"
    in 22 reviews
  • "The sales model is great for an entry level sales proffesional"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do"
    in 28 reviews
  • "The "door to door" style of sales is old fashioned and doesnt work like it did 15 years ago"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Top sales people do what they love to do!!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 3 years

Pros#1- I love the culture and the employees that I work with.
#2- This company continuosly trains on the new products that are being rolled out and how to help postion them to prospects. (There are also design engineers that can help support you on appointments and explain the more technical aspects that you may not understand.)

Cons-sometimes salesforce takes a long time, especially when we have to put together quotes through docusign

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time

Excellent Learning Experience

Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Miramar, FL (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

ProsTraining - This company doesn't ditch on training resources. To this day, more than three years since being in training at Cbeyond, I still remember tactics, presentations, and general sales and IT knowledge gained from course.
Culture - It's a sales floor, so yes, there is high pressure, but you should know this when applying for a sales position with quotas; however, the sales managers, team leads, and team mates do the best to make you feel part of the family. The team does well, you'll be enjoying the benefits.
Quota Incentives - Aside from the opportunity to gain decent commission, they provide incentives ranging from happy hours, TVs and Ipads, to boating trips and national trips.
Networking - Some reps never understood the power of networking until it was too late into their tenure. Understanding the strength of partners and using those strengths to compliment your weaknesses is what will set you apart at Cbeyond.

ConsProduct - At least while I was there, price point was a little higher than main competitors and technology was a bit outdated (T1 has been out for a very, very long time)
Micromanagement - Prepare to have your cards and calls counted; however, on a positive side note, if you prove your sales ability and consistency, most managers will back off you, and if they don't, your VP/GM could help you either move teams or become a TL.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the difference between a Senior Sales Consultant and a spanking new rep. From my understanding, since my departure, hiring trends have changed to only hire experience sales reps, but space needs to be given to those producing.

Also, the majority of the managers had been promoted for excellent sales ability. Had being the key word here. Just because something was done one way 10 years ago, it's not the same now. Go out and do what your reps do once or twice every few months, so you can make sure you aren't preaching the wrong sermon.

The New CYBEYOND

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for less than a year

ProsAWESOME PRODUCT SET!. They have a full suite of products from Cloud to mobile phones and everything in between. The comp plan is also great!

ConsStart up environment- those who are entrepreneurs will love it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay to get the best people possible.

No career path

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time

ProsMy team was great and fun to work with
Great community projects
On site gym
Great classes at the gym
Gym was free for employees

ConsNo career growth opportunities
Too much office politics
They rarely promoted from within
The pay was not great
No free snacks

Opportunity of a lifetime

Solution Specialist (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

ProsCbeyond gave me an opportunity to learn consultative solution selling as an entry-level employee. The product training was excellent. The daily expectations have changed dramatically over the past year and a half. I am now in charge of my own daily schedule and am free to run my business how I see fit. My sales have improved because of the recent changes in management style. I have met some incredibly successful people that I am proud to call my mentors. Community involvement is quite fulfilling.

ConsThe sales training has not evolved to mirror the actual sales strategy that lets one be successful in this position. Consequently, new employees are often discouraged for the first 4 months. After which, they either quit or are ambitious enough to succeed no matter the circumstance. A lot of the tenured employees are falling off at a rampant pace - probably because change makes people uncomfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have moved away from hiring entry-level; but, I wouldn't be a national sales leader without such opportunity. Take a chance on a green employee if you see the determination in their eyes. For those that own a successful track record, be a coach and a resource, but let them run their own business.

Here at a good time

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for less than a year

ProsI have an amazing manager who understands how to manage each one of her reps. Those that are hungry will get fed. Learning curve for IT (new field for me) was not that bad, only needed to know benefit to sell, have engineers on appointments to talk tech.
-Since I've been here, motto has changed from hitting 50 doors a day to a more balanced approach of targeting researched leads and selling more complex solutions. Initially we were heavily micro-managed, and now we no longer have to return to the office everyday.

ConsNew motto is still being fine-tuned, and average sales-cycle is longer because of complex sales. Gas reimbursement for AE definitely can be improved. Hard to keep work life balance at first, lost 5 lbs of muscle because too tired for gym.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore contest, stir up more competition. Also more training on advanced sales techniques outside of the model.

A Company Evolving

Tier I Technical Support/NOC (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are very professional and great to work with. Very good mix of cultures from around the world. Good ethical organization with emphasis on giving back to the community.

ConsManagement not always suited for the position they are in. Very under staffed for the customer base. Internal promotion policy antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your tried and true tenured employees who have stuck with you during your growth and transformation, They know and understand your infrastructure.

Average internship for average pay

Solutions Advisor Coordinator (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Cbeyond as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people were very friendly and welcoming. This particular internship was not difficult at all.

ConsI felt like I was just a number, or lost in the company. Could be boring at times.

Good Compnay to allow career growth.

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSenior management available and know employees personally, For those who have have desire, time is allotted to visit other departments for potential movement within.

ConsNo structured training for employees, learn as you go, hopefully you are working with a good group of coworkers who want you to succeed as well as the team.

Good teaching foundation of sales/ cold calling

Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Anaheim, CA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

ProsTeaches you how to sale. How to cold call, how to be results driven. Competition is huge

ConsLack of territory boundaries, leadership is not always great. Company has bad review, over hyper sales rep and bug customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach consultative sales.

Worked for Cbeyond? Contribute to the Community!

Cbeyond Videos

Cbeyond – Why Work for Us?

Cbeyond puts the latest technology within reach of any size business. Using our private, high-bandwidth network, we deliver voice and data services from your location to the cloud. By shifting the technology burden to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cbeyond reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cbeyond CEO Jim Geiger. All 268 reviews are posted anonymously by Cbeyond employees.