Cargill

Updated 16 August, 2014

3.3

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

High ethical standard. Great culture!

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance  in  Asia (Colombia)
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in Asia (Colombia)

Pros

Large company with great complexity in the businesses. People are nice and professional. Very ethical company.

Cons

Work life balance could be a challenge.

People consider Cargill as a company who can provide long term career stability, though salary may not always be the best. It is important to keep such culture given the constant changes Cargill is driving.

Was going great until the decision was made to outsource my dept. to India.

Current Employee - Senior Network Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Network Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

People were very nice and helpful. They would help you with whatever you needed to make you successful.

Cons

I left a very successful position at another company to get hired by Cargill only ot be told that I will be outsourced. It's been hard not to have regrets and be bitter.

Could be a great company

Former Employee - Production Manager
    Former Employee - Production Manager

Pros

Pay and people are great. Even being a union plant most of the people want to do the right thing.

Cons

Management has no idea on how to operate a plant efficiently. They brought all new management and they ran it in the ground. While I was there we had two record years...those days are long gone. Always wanting people to move.

Hire people with proven track records. Not people who know they are not qualified.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The inmates are running the asylum

Current Employee - Production Technician  in  Dayton, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Dayton, OH (US)

Pros

The benefits are decent, and the pay is reasonable for the knowledge required to operate one of the technician positions.

Cons

Management has decided to take a hands-off approach to dealing with personnel. Bad employees will take "issues" to management and talk-down and defame other employees in attempts to promote themselves and get others in trouble. For the most part, management does not look into these statements, choosing rather to take them to be true. On the occasions when management is aware of real problems, they tend to push them under the rug. Management has stated that the quality issues are the concern of management, and that personnel issues should be dealt with among the technicians. Worst 24-7-365 schedule ever conceived, and the union chooses to fight to keep it for fear of losing overtime opportunities. Almost no opportunity for production employees to enter administrative or supervisory positions - employees can apply, but rarely are they considered.

Force your managers to deal with the problem employees, and to become involved enough to realize who the real problem employees are.

Good company. Business units in silo's.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Great teamwork and some very good direct supervisors. Advance opportunities are there if you're in with the right people or business unit. You'll work with some very educated and market knowledgable people whom most are very willing to share their expertise with you and your customers. Micro management is low but expecations are high and there are rewards for hard work and collaboration.

Cons

Salary is low compared to the industry. You'll be low man with little advancement unless you get "in" with the right people. Manager turn over is high, so expect a new manager every year. Senior managers are not as open and transparent as they profess to be amd will withhold information to suit their needs. Doing the "right" thing will only be done if it benefits the business unit or a particular manager.

Solid and dependable company

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

Stable company, long term thinking, privately owned, global in scale and therefore opportunities. Average pay, good benefits, middle to lower level management has generally been some of the best in the business. Historically executives have developed from within the company and understood true long term thinking

Cons

Has never understood how IT benefits companies, newer top level executives introducing shorter term thinking. Spending huge amounts on unified applications trying to make the business simpler without understanding how to approach it. Repeated attempts at outsourcing, getting bad results, and then trying it again thinking a new contract will make the vendors better stewards of company resources.

Go back to long term thinking. Trust your own employees, include them in decision making rather than listening to vendor sales people and executives who only joined the company a few months ago. Cargill's brand is trustworthiness, loyalty, stability. Move back to that model before Cargill's reputation is squandered. Learn from mistakes by not repeating them, rather than trying to perfect them.

Not for me

Former Employee - Operator
    Former Employee - Operator

Pros

Training, decent benefits, good start off point for entry level

Cons

compensation lacking, office culture can be unpleasant (dependent of location), very structured (not much room for individuality), not much say in where you advance to

be more forward with employees regarding compensation and promotion opportunities. Allow your employees to grow and develop in the path they want. Improve salary and compensation packages.

About to make a very big mistake

Pros

none to speak of at this time

Cons

outsourcing everything with meaning leaving the company with no mid range salaries

Change Consultant

Former Employee - Change Management Consultant  in  Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Change Management Consultant in Minnetonka, MN (US)

Pros

Pay was very competitive, benefits were very good, growth opportunities were strong as well. Lots of very smart people. There are a lot of opportunities to travel internationally.

Cons

Leadership and culture were very difficult. Great company to start your career - not a good place to come in mid career. I always got the sense that my experiences prior to joining Cargill didn't matter because I didn't have them at Cargill. Experienced hires were always treated as "second class" citizens.

Open your minds to what others from outside the organization have to bring to the table. Almost all of the leaders grew up with Cargill and have never been "outside the family". Very narrow focus. Just because you're Cargill doesn't make you right.

Human Resource Processionals - Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wayzata, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayzata, MN (US)

Pros

There is the potential to gain a great deal of experience given the size and many jobs available. It is also an ideal company to start your career. I would not recommend this company for seasoned HR or L&D professionals.

Cons

For seasoned HR or L&D professionals, it is a dead end unless you are in the "clique". They take care of each other and there is this select group that continues to receive all of the opportunities. It is quite dysfunctional. While they speak a lot about "development" they do not practice what they preach. The rest of us are never given a second thought. I am a seasoned HR professional that thought I had a lot to offer this company. It was apparent after a few years that it did not matter because I was not in the "clique".

Within my team, I was told that I was the most professional and accountable. There was one person who had a chronic problem with LOAs and another that was placed on a PIP. We had a manager that was young and just serving her two years so that she could move on to her next promotion. She did move on and the manager that was to oversee our work, gave us little or no time as he was having an affair with a colleague.

I worked hard to find a new role within HR and L&D, but I was not successful. My job was eliminated while the rest of the dysfunction in my HR team remained. I started my job at Cargill feeling so pumped and excited. I left the company feeling quite diminished.

Look outside of your own needs and your own circle of relationships and give other internal candidates a chance to show you what they can do - even if they have not had "direct" experience for that very job.

Please be thoughtful before you decide to eliminate a job. I don't think some of you have any idea how it alters a life.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!