www.cargill.com
Employer Engaged

Senior IT Project and Program Manager in EMEA

Former Employee - Senior IT Project and Program Manager in Emea (Indonesia)
    Former Employee - Senior IT Project and Program Manager in Emea (Indonesia)

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Privately held company allows for risky and ambitious projects. Wide diversity and geographical distribution providing plenty of opportunities in career development and professional growth.

Cons

As part of increase efficiency program outsourcing IT world-wide - as not strategic/core part of the business leading to no decent future for IT professionals. This puts in question achievement of overall strategic objectives.

One-size-fit-all initiatives do not work for Cargill (already proven by number of experiences) - so have to focus more on specifics related to particular Geographies/BUs/Platforms in order to achieve positive dynamics in SG&A and EBIDA.

Fun Work Place

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Get to wears jeans and fun tops on Fridays :)

Cons

Vending machines don't have crunchy cheetos :(
    Be warned they do not allow pets in the office - they made me take my hamster home. It was very unfair because she (Josie) didn't make any noise at all. She was so happy at the office the three days before my boss came back from vacation and made me take her home. Sad really.

Get Cheetos :)
    Allow pets that do not bark or meow. I think it would be very nice to be able to hold and pet a small animal during meetings or over lunch.

The company will own your life

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Fresno, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Fresno, CA (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation across the board

Cons

They expect you to work 50+ hours a week, plus a lot of weekends. You get more vacation than most places, but you'll have to cover other people's vacations as well so it nets out to zero. They expect you to relocate every few years for the first 10 years or so, so say goodbye to making friends or settling down. Also your local networking contacts will become useless so you'll have to make new ones each time you move (I believe they do this on purpose to keep you from leaving).

Treat your people better and stop trying to own them.

Cargill

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cargill many business units provide security that there is always more to learn and more career and personal opportunities available within Cargill. This being said I have never felt bored at my career; I am working for my third business unit in my 10th year of working for Cargill and love it! Cargill has a family type environment were co-workers not only care about each other but passionately care about the projects and industries they are focused in.

Cons

I really don’t have any con’s, maybe some other companies pay better but from what I see those companies don’t treat their employees as well as Cargill does. My only regret working for Cargill is not starting sooner.

At times our company can seem a little risk adverse, if I had to say one thing about management is: trust your employees instincts sooner, this would lead to faster responses and better efficiency.

Cult like atmosphere

Former Employee - Logistics Analyst in Wayzata, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Logistics Analyst in Wayzata, MN (US)

I worked at Cargill

Pros

A very nice facility with many amenities. People from other departments were very friendly. Nice cafeteria with many options for breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Supervisors were a little too proud of their positions. All authority with no leadership. Company processes and information were protected like the crown jewels. No one really wanted to provide help or info to reach goals or finish projects. People within the department I worked in avoided me like the plague. Hard to fit in when you are treated like the threatening outsider. Other than the profit margins, Cargill does not have a lot of deep dark secrets but the staff acts as if they are working on the Manhattan project.

Create an environment where new employees feel like part of the team. Get rid of the mind set that every new employee is a threat to your position.

Financial Analyst

I worked at Cargill

Pros

Variety of business units to work with

Cons

Complex accounting system, difficult to connect with other divisions

Lots of responsibility and room to grow if they listen on the animal nutrient side.

Former Employee - Customer Service Tech/Production Tech in West Branch, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Tech/Production Tech in West Branch, IA (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life is okay as well as pay. There is room for advancement and I don't see in the near future of going anywhere as a whole company, but you never know. there is job security in a not so stable economy at the moment if your in a larger plant, but smaller sites are a little iffy with reorgs that seem to be coming down, but that also could be a way in.

Cons

Lack of listening and direction at times,. good ideas as well as needs for departments and personnel get moth balled or ignored until its to the boiling point. The problem with advancement is if you want to get higher in the company you have to move just like most places like this. They aren't upfront with certain things and stability in smaller plants is not guaranteed due to undermanned, outdated, not able to keep up with the newer plants and some of the plants and distribution points are not close to areas as well as capital list needs are not met in a timely manner which puts a lot of stress on employees/management of those plants as well as uncertainty in customers. Also they may care to a point, but if it affects business your on your own.

Get back in touch with your employees and customers, i know its hard since its a big company, but the little things go a long way and being properly staffed instead of being stretched beyond your means means alot to people especially when they can get time off and not have to cancel everytime someone is ill or a customer decides they want it now. Also have a system in place so if equipment and personnel as well as facility needs are needed it can get noticed and looked at right away and do a way with the model mill crap, it actually is giving false impression/readings half the time.

Nothing much

Current Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

family owned, lots going on

Cons

not growing, too much going on

need to promote innovation and allow people to grow.

Great company

Former Employee - Manufacturing/Industrial Engineer in Alajuela (Costa Rica)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing/Industrial Engineer in Alajuela (Costa Rica)

I worked at Cargill

Pros

challenging, always learning and growing. You are expose to great projects, participating and applying what you've learned.

Cons

It can be very stressful if you are not use to constant pressure. If you are not organized would be hard to keep up with the daily projects.

An ideal employer for a life long commitment

Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly culture and flat structure. Big company with good infrastructure and a lot of opportunities.

Cons

Might be confined to your own office

beautify the office a little bit