Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior advisor- finance function

Senior Advisor (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN (US)

ProsGood work-life balance and relatively good benefits package if you are in the senior levels.

ConsToo little difference in compensation between performers and non performers.

High ethical standard. Great culture!

Accounting/Finance (Current Employee) Asia (Colombia)

ProsLarge company with great complexity in the businesses. People are nice and professional. Very ethical company.

ConsWork life balance could be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople consider Cargill as a company who can provide long term career stability, though salary may not always be the best. It is important to keep such culture given the constant changes Cargill is driving.

Opportunity ... or NOT!

ProsCargill has been a great company to work for with amazing opportunity to network and advance, if you take part in that. As one of the outsourced IT team, I'm wishing I had done so much earlier in my career here.

ConsThere've been a lot of restructuring in the recent years to Global IT. Seems none of them have been truly followed through to completion so has somewhat left it destined to fail at providing stability and the ability to become the holy grail of that center of excellence now being sought.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope your decision to move IT Infrastructure to Managed Services pays off. If not, many dedicated and talented people's lives were disrupted for naught.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company. Good benefits.

ProsStability and willingness to take on risk. Cargill will give failing businesses a chance to survive. But only for a short time. They will exit businesses where they have no competitive advantage, which is smart.

ConsThe IT outsourcing is not a good decision. IT security support is already difficult for users because of offshoring and communication gaps. Now they are extending this to all IT services. Every biz will suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. But bring IT back to US.

they were great people for the most part, but boring repetitive work

QM Chemist (Former Employee) Blair, NE (US)

Prosuh, the people were awesome, like I said. Everyone seemed friendly and the management seemed like they cared about the employees.

Consthe hours were horrible, no personal life

Advice to Senior Managementconsider shortening to a 10 hour day.

Could be a great company

Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay and people are great. Even being a union plant most of the people want to do the right thing.

ConsManagement has no idea on how to operate a plant efficiently. They brought all new management and they ran it in the ground. While I was there we had two record years...those days are long gone. Always wanting people to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with proven track records. Not people who know they are not qualified.

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wayzata, MN (US)

Pros- Focus on community giving
    - Opportunity to work on global projects
    - Hard working people that really care about customers and doing the right thing

Cons- Lack of accountability of poor performers, especially at the leadership level
    - Little respect for mid-career talent
    - Too many decisions being made with the bottom line in mind; no regard for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying employees at the lowest percentile. Hold your leaders and their supervisors accountable. A BU functional leader should not have an engagement score below 45% with more than 100% turnover and still be in their position a year later. Would not recommend for certain functions (i.e., communications, marketing, HR).

International Transportation Planner

International Trade Associate (Current Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsGood community partner. they do excellent work for charity

ConsBad management. Too top heavy and they have poor communication internally. EVERYTHING is need to know and they never think you need to know

Advice to Senior Managementtake the time to talk to your people. try and understand life beyond your closed door meetings

Incompetent Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Geneva (Switzerland)

ProsVery relaxed and undemanding compared to large multinationals.
    Lots of diversity in product range offer good opportunities for. Broad experience.

ConsComplacent culture
    Senior management is a closed boys club
    Bureaucracy is everything

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of Minneapolis.

Silent company, big player in food business

Proshigh safety concern, good principles/ethics, good source for learning

Conslong decision process, concervative, need more work flexibility

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!