Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros:
  • "They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up"
    in 23 reviews
  • "I found it difficult to transfer between business units having a background in other companies besides Cargill"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Too much responsibility - not enough support

I have been working at Cargill

ProsWhen HR wasn't run by some young thinks-he-knows-it-all brown-noser, hourly employees mattered and were cared for by the company. Now money outweighs employees.

ConsA lot of responsibility was put on one or two people and because information was always on a 'need-to-know' basis, employees were never sure of what was happening around them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry hiring qualified people for positions.

Just look at how many people they are hiring...if you are smart you'll get the picture

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Vermilion, AB

I worked at Cargill full-time for less than a year

ProsJob can be interesting at times depending on your responsibilities. You will learn a lot in this job, sometimes too much. The global commodity market is ever-changing so grain marketing will be challenging.

Rural Alberta can be a fun place in summer time. Your customer base (farmers) are usually decent people.

Some very supportive colleagues, some employees have been with the company for a very long time and are highly experienced, although that's becoming a rarity these days.

ConsRife with cronyism these days. Because of exodus/retirement of experienced staff, you will often find 20 year olds in charge (even as general managers!). These gun-ho, "I am always right" people often mess up and everyone else EXCEPT them pays the price. I've seen experienced people being thrown under the bus for management's mistakes...REPEATEDLY. This has led to extremely high turnover. 100% turnover in the sales team within 11 month.

I was at our national sales meeting and we were all shown the statistics. Cargill has a turnover rate of 50% in 2013. More shocking are the attitudes towards this. We were told that it is normal for agriculture industry...no more discussions, next topic.

Performance & promotions are a joke. People with little relevant background and experience are put into various positions because they know the right people. If that's your game, then Cargill is the right place for you. If you are not into politicking, then best stay clear of this organization.

Pay is THE lowest in agriculture industry for the employees (sales, support & operation staff), yet quite high for managers. The constant turnover means that you will often be doing other people's work, for no extra pay and sometimes not even recognition.

Poor image among customers. A lot of initiatives are pushed by people looking for quick promotion at the expense of customer relationship. By the same regards, good ideas and deals for the company are left on the table because they didn't benefit some higher-ups personal fame and glory.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of useless managers and rein in the politicking

Good salary/benifits

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
London, ON

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary, benifits, Vacation, bonus days, autonomy,

ConsDemanding, very process oriented, too much time spent on paperwork

Operations Summer Student

Operations Summer Student (Former Employee)
Yorkton, SK

I worked at Cargill as an intern for less than a year

ProsExcellent Training Opportunities, Management & Employee Benefits plans

ConsHard-work if you are not up for the task

Advice to Senior ManagementCoaching is the best way to lead your summer students, learn how to effectively coach them.

I learned to become more responsibility in life.

Fabrication Supervisor (Former Employee)
High River, AB

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a great place to work because it has very good rate,and you can learn a lot that you can also apply in life and at home.

ConsJobs are so hard..company is so cheap with supplies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving everyone's area in according to rules and regulations and try not to take some issues personally,and avoid politics.

A very structured environment

Accounting Technician (Current Employee)
Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Cargill

Pros-Stable job
-Great benefits
-Will pay for outside courses for career development
-Very flexible working hours, Very easy to get time off, or set non-standard hours

Cons-Very monotonous work, you will be doing the same thing day in and day out
-Pay is on the lower end of the scale for Winnipeg

Advice to Senior Management-Make salaries competitive with the marketplace
-Have a better communication system in place, inform employees of changes and issues in a more timely manner

Great place to make a career

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat culture; great people. Good benefits.

ConsNot strong in the I/T department

Great Opportunities

I have been working at Cargill full-time

ProsAbility to travel, flexible schedules, ethics

ConsOutsourcing a lot of jobs
Low pay

Great Company

I have been working at Cargill

ProsStable company, treats employees very well. A lot of opportunities for advancement and lateral moves.

ConsIT department is challenging due to outsourcing and lack of good leadership.

Building a great place to work in Fort Dodge

Fort Dodge, IA (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time

ProsCargill Corn Milling purchased the Fort Dodge location from Tate & Lyle and finished building using foreign technology. In many cases, it probably would have been easier to raze what T&L built and start from scratch. The plant started operations in fall 2013. The staff are full of optimism and enthusiasm, recognizing the opportunity we have - that we are starting our culture from the beginning. Many people are heard to say, "If this isn't a good place to work in two years, then it's OUR fault." The leadership team has a solid plan for building employee engagement and retention, and are very cognizant of their role in establishing and supporting the site culture. Excellent investment in hourly staff, including Covey's Seven Habits training for everyone. Focus on occupational safety and food safety is strong. Community outreach program was robust in the beginning. Cargill senior leadership visit twice a year, and Corn Milling Senior Leadership more often; very approachable and personable.

ConsMost of the salaried positions are filled by inexperienced personnel, who are in stretch assignments, PLUS the stress of starting up a new plant. Not enough focus on development paths and career investment. "Address it or drop it" slogan isn't working out as positively as it does on paper, still a lot of closed-door discussions. Not sure that the culture vision is shared with or supported by most recent leadership hires.
  Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up. Lower pay, less vacation than comparable companies. Too long between advancement opportunities. Experience outside of Cargill isn't counted the same. Not enough accountability for values deviations and repeat safety violations, leading to disillusionment among the management staff. Push for team building and community outreach in the beginning starting to fade in favor of operations challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time building the culture and talent now, instead of trying to fix it later. Change the organization structure to provide more opportunities for advancement in two-year increments rather than taking three to five years, even if it's just by adding "senior" to the same job title, to retain millenials, Gen X and Gen Y staff. Find the balance between responsibility and accountability. Don't get cheap around occupational and food safety just because we're over budget - there's fat that can be cut elsewhere. Value outside experience MORE than internal experience - need fresh ideas. Push for work-life balance.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cargill reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cargill CEO Greg Page. All 390 reviews are posted anonymously by Cargill employees.