Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Too much responsibility - not enough support

ProsWhen HR wasn't run by some young thinks-he-knows-it-all brown-noser, hourly employees mattered and were cared for by the company. Now money outweighs employees.

ConsA lot of responsibility was put on one or two people and because information was always on a 'need-to-know' basis, employees were never sure of what was happening around them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry hiring qualified people for positions.

Just look at how many people they are hiring...if you are smart you'll get the picture

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Vermilion, AB

ProsJob can be interesting at times depending on your responsibilities. You will learn a lot in this job, sometimes too much. The global commodity market is ever-changing so grain marketing will be challenging.

Rural Alberta can be a fun place in summer time. Your customer base (farmers) are usually decent people.

Some very supportive colleagues, some employees have been with the company for a very long time and are highly experienced, although that's becoming a rarity these days.

ConsRife with cronyism these days. Because of exodus/retirement of experienced staff, you will often find 20 year olds in charge (even as general managers!). These gun-ho, "I am always right" people often mess up and everyone else EXCEPT them pays the price. I've seen experienced people being thrown under the bus for management's mistakes...REPEATEDLY. This has led to extremely high turnover. 100% turnover in the sales team within 11 month.

I was at our national sales meeting and we were all shown the statistics. Cargill has a turnover rate of 50% in 2013. More shocking are the attitudes towards this. We were told that it is normal for agriculture industry...no more discussions, next topic.

Performance & promotions are a joke. People with little relevant background and experience are put into various positions because they know the right people. If that's your game, then Cargill is the right place for you. If you are not into politicking, then best stay clear of this organization.

Pay is THE lowest in agriculture industry for the employees (sales, support & operation staff), yet quite high for managers. The constant turnover means that you will often be doing other people's work, for no extra pay and sometimes not even recognition.

Poor image among customers. A lot of initiatives are pushed by people looking for quick promotion at the expense of customer relationship. By the same regards, good ideas and deals for the company are left on the table because they didn't benefit some higher-ups personal fame and glory.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of useless managers and rein in the politicking

Good salary/benifits

Sales Representative (Former Employee) London, ON

ProsSalary, benifits, Vacation, bonus days, autonomy,

ConsDemanding, very process oriented, too much time spent on paperwork

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Operations Summer Student

Operations Summer Student (Former Employee) Yorkton, SK

ProsExcellent Training Opportunities, Management & Employee Benefits plans

ConsHard-work if you are not up for the task

Advice to Senior ManagementCoaching is the best way to lead your summer students, learn how to effectively coach them.

I learned to become more responsibility in life.

Fabrication Supervisor (Former Employee) High River, AB

ProsIt's a great place to work because it has very good rate,and you can learn a lot that you can also apply in life and at home.

ConsJobs are so hard..company is so cheap with supplies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving everyone's area in according to rules and regulations and try not to take some issues personally,and avoid politics.

A very structured environment

Accounting Technician (Current Employee) Winnipeg, MB

Pros-Stable job
    -Great benefits
    -Will pay for outside courses for career development
    -Very flexible working hours, Very easy to get time off, or set non-standard hours

Cons-Very monotonous work, you will be doing the same thing day in and day out
    -Pay is on the lower end of the scale for Winnipeg

Advice to Senior Management-Make salaries competitive with the marketplace
    -Have a better communication system in place, inform employees of changes and issues in a more timely manner

Good Job Experiences in Cargill

Software Developer (Current Employee) Jakarta (Indonesia)

ProsFrankly this is the best Company i joined so far in my career.
    the best thing about this company is their culture and their guiding principle.
    people in my team are the best talent that is available on the City, they are quite helpful,honest and easy to cooperate with.

Conschallenges are sometimes the project timeline quite tight.

Advice to Senior Managementi can not think anything of right now.

Great company to work for with lot's of development opportunities if you seize them.

ProsCompany likes to develop employees and it likes to hire internally. Flexible work schedule is great. High ethical standards and a sense of shared community responsibility.

ConsCargill is not a very lean company due to it being a private company. It has started to trim down some benefits. Nothing too bad but it needs to be weary of losing the awesome culture it has garnered leading to many working there for life. IT systems are somewhat old.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on streamlining IT services to save time and money.

Cargill is a great place to work, could use more donuts.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN (US)

ProsBe sure to be very pro healthy foods at the office. People take the company culture about feeding the world very seriously.

ConsAgain the issue is they buy into the hype more than is warranted. We're going to run out of usable water a lot faster than we run out of usable food.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work, but could be a bit more realistic about expectations for performance. Might be worth using peer and subordinate evaluation methods.

The work is extremely diverse

Production Engineer (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGood Career advancement opportunities

ConsMust be willing to relocate

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!