www.cargill.com

Updated 15 December, 2014
3.4

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 33 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Cargill

Pros

overall a very good company to work for

Cons

little opportunity in Canada, only sales and marketing mostly

Just look at how many people they are hiring...if you are smart you'll get the picture

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vermilion, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vermilion, AB

I worked at Cargill full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job can be interesting at times depending on your responsibilities. You will learn a lot in this job, sometimes too much. The global commodity market is ever-changing so grain marketing will be challenging.

Rural Alberta can be a fun place in summer time. Your customer base (farmers) are usually decent people.

Some very supportive colleagues, some employees have been with the company for a very long time and are highly experienced, although that's becoming a rarity these days.

Cons

Rife with cronyism these days. Because of exodus/retirement of experienced staff, you will often find 20 year olds in charge (even as general managers!). These gun-ho, "I am always right" people often mess up and everyone else EXCEPT them pays the price. I've seen experienced people being thrown under the bus for management's mistakes...REPEATEDLY. This has led to extremely high turnover. 100% turnover in the sales team within 11 month.

I was at our national sales meeting and we were all shown the statistics. Cargill has a turnover rate of 50% in 2013. More shocking are the attitudes towards this. We were told that it is normal for agriculture industry...no more discussions, next topic.

Performance & promotions are a joke. People with little relevant background and experience are put into various positions because they know the right people. If that's your game, then Cargill is the right place for you. If you are not into politicking, then best stay clear of this organization.

Pay is THE lowest in agriculture industry for the employees (sales, support & operation staff), yet quite high for managers. The constant turnover means that you will often be doing other people's work, for no extra pay and sometimes not even recognition.

Poor image among customers. A lot of initiatives are pushed by people looking for quick promotion at the expense of customer relationship. By the same regards, good ideas and deals for the company are left on the table because they didn't benefit some higher-ups personal fame and glory.

Get rid of useless managers and rein in the politicking

Too much responsibility - not enough support

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

When HR wasn't run by some young thinks-he-knows-it-all brown-noser, hourly employees mattered and were cared for by the company. Now money outweighs employees.

Cons

A lot of responsibility was put on one or two people and because information was always on a 'need-to-know' basis, employees were never sure of what was happening around them.

Try hiring qualified people for positions.

Good salary/benifits

Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, ON

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, benifits, Vacation, bonus days, autonomy,

Cons

Demanding, very process oriented, too much time spent on paperwork

Operations Summer Student

Former Employee - Operations Summer Student in Yorkton, SK
    Former Employee - Operations Summer Student in Yorkton, SK

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent Training Opportunities, Management & Employee Benefits plans

Cons

Hard-work if you are not up for the task

Coaching is the best way to lead your summer students, learn how to effectively coach them.

I learned to become more responsibility in life.

Former Employee - Fabrication Supervisor in High River, AB
    Former Employee - Fabrication Supervisor in High River, AB

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work because it has very good rate,and you can learn a lot that you can also apply in life and at home.

Cons

Jobs are so hard..company is so cheap with supplies.

Keep improving everyone's area in according to rules and regulations and try not to take some issues personally,and avoid politics.

A very structured environment

Current Employee - Accounting Technician in Winnipeg, MB
    Current Employee - Accounting Technician in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

-Stable job
    -Great benefits
    -Will pay for outside courses for career development
    -Very flexible working hours, Very easy to get time off, or set non-standard hours

Cons

-Very monotonous work, you will be doing the same thing day in and day out
    -Pay is on the lower end of the scale for Winnipeg

-Make salaries competitive with the marketplace
    -Have a better communication system in place, inform employees of changes and issues in a more timely manner

Good company; outsources functions not in core competency

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Stable, global, diversified company.

Cons

They outsourced the entire IT Infrastructure organization from a technical perspective, leaving only a retained org of management. They have a tendency to outsource functions that are not in their "core competency" of trading, ag, etc.

Fun Work Place

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Get to wears jeans and fun tops on Fridays :)

Cons

Vending machines don't have crunchy cheetos :(
    Be warned they do not allow pets in the office - they made me take my hamster home. It was very unfair because she (Josie) didn't make any noise at all. She was so happy at the office the three days before my boss came back from vacation and made me take her home. Sad really.

Get Cheetos :)
    Allow pets that do not bark or meow. I think it would be very nice to be able to hold and pet a small animal during meetings or over lunch.

Cargill

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cargill many business units provide security that there is always more to learn and more career and personal opportunities available within Cargill. This being said I have never felt bored at my career; I am working for my third business unit in my 10th year of working for Cargill and love it! Cargill has a family type environment were co-workers not only care about each other but passionately care about the projects and industries they are focused in.

Cons

I really don’t have any con’s, maybe some other companies pay better but from what I see those companies don’t treat their employees as well as Cargill does. My only regret working for Cargill is not starting sooner.

At times our company can seem a little risk adverse, if I had to say one thing about management is: trust your employees instincts sooner, this would lead to faster responses and better efficiency.