Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros:
  • "They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Plenty of opportunities to move in many different career directions once you are hired"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is talked highly about, but when it comes down to it they don"
    in 22 reviews
  • "I found it difficult to transfer between business units having a background in other companies besides Cargill"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunities.

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
Hopkins, MN (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than a year

ProsExtremely talented and smart people willing to help develop employees. A very family friendly company to work for with lots of flexibility.

ConsDepending upon the area you started in, I found it difficult to be considered for other openings in different departments. The company can feel a little large and disconnected at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing but provide more support to employees looking to move to new roles and departments.

Good opportunities

Manager (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of different businesses and opportunities to challenge throughout one's career. You run into the same people in different businesses and roles over the course of your career, which helps a person feel connected to the business.

ConsMissteps can brand a person forever and make it difficult to move beyond them. While some critique a slow-to-move culture, others are more ready-fire-aim kinds of people. Also, recent Fit to Grow layoffs removed many important contributors from the business and today we don't see a sustained low-cost benefit of that layoff. Higher than acceptable costs are less likely from having too many people than from having people duplicating work across the multiple business units. We don't really enjoy the scale of being a larger company, as we behave as a confederation of small companies.

Personal and Appreciating

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
Hopkins, MN (US)

I worked at Cargill as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFull time employees are handpicked and are the best

ConsSmall IT team doesnt get noted much which is understandable given the size of this organization and the domain.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce proper documentation from your vendors and don't overlook the need for a technical writer or a documentation expert.

Senior technical analyst

Senior Technical Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat experience, great people, the company is so huge there are opportunities for you to work anywhere in the world. It's a privately held company so that is nice. Company is hugely successful.

ConsMaybe a bit of red tape here and there.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have great people working there, use them

Very positive experience - plenty of experience in a small amount of time.

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cargill as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou get to work with all types of people in a fast paced environment.

ConsPlants can be very nasty, so if you are one to shy from smells or pests you may not be right for this position.

No growth, slow moving corporate environment with slow innovation in technology

Biotechnologist (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 5 years

Prosstability, slow paced, low expectations

Conslow salary, low transparency, promotions are not performance based

Advice to Senior Managementrevamp technology to be a priority rather than a show piece

Nice

Communications Manager (Former Employee)
Geneva (Switzerland)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than a year

ProsReally nice people work at Cargill, for the most part, however it is a very, very large company, so it depends on which division (platform) you work in, and of course your direct manager can make or break the job. As a huge, global company, there is a good range of career paths. You take control over your career path - managers encourage meeting people and developing your network so that your career can blossom. Careers are enabled and supported by senior management and HR if you are committed to the company. As a trader, it's a great training ground.

ConsCertain divisions can be less appealing than others. Cargill is a private company which is good in some ways but they remain afraid to communicate, and in some divisions this extends down to employees which can hinder motivation. Marketing is very underdeveloped as a discipline. Cargill is notoriously cheap - only very senior-level employees are given permission to fly business class and the hotels people are expected to stay in upon arrival are often sub-optimal. Because of the vastness of the company it is difficult to understand.

growing

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 10 years

Prosmulticultural world wide private work life balance

Consethical not very well paid administratively heavy

Advice to Senior Managementna

Terrible manager leading an incompetent team

I have been working at Cargill full-time

ProsGood benefits and salary
Opportunities to advance on the ladder

ConsYour experience will vary depending on which department and manager you work under, but I had the unfortunate experience of working in a team that worked under a terrible manager.. This manager was hardly ever in the office to actually do his job of managing. If the team is lacking in performance, the problem lies with the manager. This is what HR doesn't get. HR needs to investigate into how their managers do their job and get rid of those who don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe success of a team lies with the competence of the manager. You need to weed out the ones who don't take their job seriously and only want to bring in their own team from foreign countries.

Build, grow and develop the Corporate Transportation & Logistics team across EMEA

Head of Transportation & Logistics EMEA (Former Employee)
Mechelen (Belgium)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBusiness model, learning opportunities, networking, diversity, growth and development opportunities, global footprint.

ConsCorporate culture, work/life balance, respect

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cargill reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cargill CEO Greg Page. All 385 reviews are posted anonymously by Cargill employees.