CareerBuilder

Updated 12 November, 2014
3.8

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

If sales is your passion...this is the spot for you!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Uncapped earning potential
    - If you put in the work...you WILL get promoted and gain access to larger and larger salaries and bonus pools
    - Learn from the brightest sales leadership around
    - Management works with each individual to hit his or her goals. They are anti-cookie cutter

Cons

Competition is tightening in this Industry as other companies are creating new strategies and partnerships that is making it harder to differentiate our products from the rest. Thus, it becomes a speed and volume game which some employees can handle...and others cannot.

Continue to innovate. Purchasing Luceo and Broadbean is a great start.

Find easier ways to get companies on board to earn credibility.

Complete joke

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since the most senior Manager in Canada left in mid-2013 for greener pastures I can't think of one.

Cons

Where would I start? Micro management, inept leadership, sexual relationships between the Managing Director and staff.

A much needed house cleaning or just shutdown Canadian operations and have a couple Reps in the market. The experience your customers are receiving is terrible.

The Most Amazing Experience Which Lead to my Dream Job!!!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great working environment & culture (Amazing people, fun environment, TV's, XBox, Kitchen, friendly),
    - Genius products/services that ACTUALLY have a great impact on the HR industry,
    - They wine and dine you and reward performance appropriately with unique events, intrinsic recognition, and money,
    - Amazing benefits,
    - Great pay,
    - Smartest business people you'll work with,
    - Caring management team,
    - Nice office,
    - Learning opportunity is absolutely amazing,

Cons

- Nothing really noteworthy to state as a negative in regards to this company. If there is a problem, they address the matter and find a solution quickly.

* Work hard, work smart, collaborate, ask questions, and don't be a deadbeat and you'll be successful in your work, regardless of the position. *

Keep up the good work, and continue to motivate and care for your staff like you have been. There is an immense opportunity at CareerBuilder to develop your skills, learn from the best, and develop your career like you wouldn't imagine (whether it's within CareerBuilder or elsewhere).

Note: The reason I left was that I was headhunted for an amazing senior/managerial opportunity (my dream job) that was not even in Business Development. CareerBuilder developed my skills and essentially created an opportunity for me to be so attractive. I wish I didn't have to leave but there was no such opening for me at CareerBuilder that was presented from the other company.

If a position did open up that was similar at CareerBuilder in the future, I'd take it in a heart beat!!!

Churn and Burn. The ultimate revolving door.

I worked at CareerBuilder

Pros

1. High earnings potential provided:
    -You are willing to work extensive unpaid overtime.
    -You don't value your work/life balance.
    -You're good friends with management (outside of work).
    2. Comprehensive product suite.

Cons

Unlike it's US and international counterparts, CarereBuilder Canada is mismanaged and overrun with it's fair share of politics. Senior management offer very little support, direction or leadership.

Micromanagement to the extreme. Metrics are measured hourly. Think you're in outside sales? Think again. You're in a call centre. Combine this and a few other things together and you get a company whose turnover is absolutely unreal. Reps revolve weekly.

As motivation for hard work and closed deals you will be threatened with termination on a regular basis. Regardless of whether or not you've hit your goals your continued employment will hinge upon arbitrary numbers and fictitious goals set by management. In case you're wondering - none of these imaginary goals have anything to do with whether or not you actually hit your targets.

Find experienced leaders for Canada. You preach constantly to prospects and clients alike that "finding the right candidate" is part of your solution. This is your opportunity to find LEADERS for the Canadian business.

Senior Account Executive

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good earning potential. Additional incentives. Great suite of products to services clients.

Cons

Contrary to the American CEO, the Canadian office has no direction or leadership. Senior management pushes reps to work extended hours and micromanages more than anything.

The revolving door that was witnessed in my tenure is ludicrous. Your job is continuously dangled infront of you. No security in any way.

No real motivation from management.

My advice is to John Smith, Andrew Streiter and Mat Ferguson: Find true leaders for Canada. Canada's business will never grow to its capacity with the leaders in place. They truly only look out for themselves and not the health of business.

Personally not a fit. A real life Glengarry Glen Ross, without the leads.

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a lot of money. Hard workers will do well here. Great place to start a career in sales.

Cons

Need to be very focused on money and personal gain. Little team work, lots of internal competition. Needs of company are put ahead of needs of customers. Sales is the primary focus of this business. Expected to focus on cold calls only.

Upward Mobility, Incredible Culture, Promising Future all here!!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunity presented to me at CareerBuilder during my tenure has been incredible. My sales skills have become much sharper and I can attribute that development to the trainings I've had here.

As an organization, I love the fact that we sell software now and have been considered one of the top 30 SaaS companies globally. We are always staying ahead of trends in the industry so it's a huge advantage to us as sales reps.

The President's Club Trip I recently attended was top notch with lobster dinners and presents every night as well as unlimted entertainment daily. This company definitely values it's employees.

Cons

A common difficulty I have is where to start helping a client. We offer over 300 solutions in our solution set so typically there are multiple offerings we can provide at any given time.

Continue to run frequent sales trainings and monthly events for reps who hit their quota. This is great for motivation.

If you want to accelerate your career, it is here!

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office culture
    Products and services are constantly improving
    Great support and leadership
    You can get promoted fast if you succeed
    Large bonuses and accelerator plan when you meet your quota
    Amazing trip when you achieve your quota

Cons

The brand CareerBuilder is not as strong in Canada than in the US.

Make sure to continue to promote your employees

Get ready to compete at the next level!

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture and experience to be a part of.
    Ability to share ideas on how to continue to grow in an expanding Canadian market.
    Consitantly innovates new products that forever gives you a reason to keep enganging your customers.
    Awesome compensation if you possess the sales ability to keep up and challenge yourself.
    Training is fantastic and you will always learn new skills you didn't know you had....whether you are an experienced rep or someone who is relatively new to a sales career.
    Management holds you to expectations and will always find ways to help you through challenges.

Cons

If you don't have the fire inside to compete and challenge yourself, you can become frustrated quickly. This is not a place for someone who wants to float their way through. Accept the challenge and you will be rewarded, otherwise you will sink.

Continue to find ways to evolve into a larger organization. Help find experienced closers more opportunities to be in front of warm clients to keep up with growing quota expectations.

Great experience with plenty of upside.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is Opportunity for upward mobility. Essentially you control how far you go. In order to do so, you must be willing to work.

Cons

Plenty of support from the US but not enough in Canada quickly enough. Could be quicker.

I know you are working on bringing resources to Canada but please do it quicker. Great job growing the teams and becoming more sustainable with regards to turnover.