CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is also excellent depending on your group(in 34 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales(in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover(in 12 reviews)

If sales is your passion...this is the spot for you!

Account Executive (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- Uncapped earning potential
    - If you put in the work...you WILL get promoted and gain access to larger and larger salaries and bonus pools
    - Learn from the brightest sales leadership around
    - Management works with each individual to hit his or her goals. They are anti-cookie cutter

ConsCompetition is tightening in this Industry as other companies are creating new strategies and partnerships that is making it harder to differentiate our products from the rest. Thus, it becomes a speed and volume game which some employees can handle...and others cannot.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to innovate. Purchasing Luceo and Broadbean is a great start.

Find easier ways to get companies on board to earn credibility.

Complete joke

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsSince the most senior Manager in Canada left in mid-2013 for greener pastures I can't think of one.

ConsWhere would I start? Micro management, inept leadership, sexual relationships between the Managing Director and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementA much needed house cleaning or just shutdown Canadian operations and have a couple Reps in the market. The experience your customers are receiving is terrible.

The Most Amazing Experience Which Lead to my Dream Job!!!

Account Executive (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- Great working environment & culture (Amazing people, fun environment, TV's, XBox, Kitchen, friendly),
    - Genius products/services that ACTUALLY have a great impact on the HR industry,
    - They wine and dine you and reward performance appropriately with unique events, intrinsic recognition, and money,
    - Amazing benefits,
    - Great pay,
    - Smartest business people you'll work with,
    - Caring management team,
    - Nice office,
    - Learning opportunity is absolutely amazing,

Cons- Nothing really noteworthy to state as a negative in regards to this company. If there is a problem, they address the matter and find a solution quickly.

* Work hard, work smart, collaborate, ask questions, and don't be a deadbeat and you'll be successful in your work, regardless of the position. *

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, and continue to motivate and care for your staff like you have been. There is an immense opportunity at CareerBuilder to develop your skills, learn from the best, and develop your career like you wouldn't imagine (whether it's within CareerBuilder or elsewhere).

Note: The reason I left was that I was headhunted for an amazing senior/managerial opportunity (my dream job) that was not even in Business Development. CareerBuilder developed my skills and essentially created an opportunity for me to be so attractive. I wish I didn't have to leave but there was no such opening for me at CareerBuilder that was presented from the other company.

If a position did open up that was similar at CareerBuilder in the future, I'd take it in a heart beat!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over Promised - Under Delivered

Account Executive (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGood place to start your sales career - ideal for someone out of college or university or with zero to little sales experience. This job will help open up doors for future opportunities.

Although the salary (35,000) + commission (28,000) is extremely low, if you hit your targets, you will still make more than you would at a non-sales job

There are fun incentives for top performers who hit their targets on a monthly basis

Turn over - Because of the constant turnover (average of 2 reps a month) your chances of inheriting a great "grandfather" account is high (which will contribute towards your success)

If the management team likes you and you become apart of their "boys club", they will ensure you are given great accounts. Tips for new hires: brush up on sports (namely football, baseball, basketball, and of course golf) as this will help you get a foot in the door.

ConsHard work is necessary to be successful, it's not the sole key driver to success. Your success as a rep is first and foremost, highly dependant on the book of business you are given when you start. If you are lucky enough to get the accounts that consistently drive business year over year (regardless of any work you or the previous rep did - "grandfather" accounts) consider yourself set. If not, be prepared to work 10x harder than the reps that are given these accounts - which often times, doesn't pay off. Ask the hardest working rep in the office how much dividends his work has paid off.

Completely falsified compensation - the OTE that is described from the onset is completely fabricated

Little to no room for advancement UNLESS you are a part of said boys club

Managers are robots - there is never an unbiased and often time honest opinion from the leadership team. There is a perfect example of this. Have a look at all of the reviews on Glassdoor. it is easily identifiable from these reviews alone which ones came from the "inner circle" or from the management team themselves.. When the only cons mentioned are about "having too many solutions to offer" - when is that EVER a bad thing? or "not a place for someone to float their way through" - CareerBuilder, you are not the only organization who doesn't reward people who "float their way through" or "I tried 2 other jobs before finding out about CareerBuilder" - it's unnecessary to even elaborate why it's conceivable that this came from the mangement team. OR "80% of the support staff is in the US" - So is every other major sales organization that has Canadian operations. This just goes to show the integrity of the leadership team. They will do anything in their power to skew the perception of the organization and to make sure they come out on top. Even though it seems like the have your best interest at heart, they don't.

This environment results in promotion of people who are horrible managers and allows bad behavior to continue without any consequences.

There is no appreciation for strong contributors who are not part of this inner circle. Also, extremely inappropriate behavior by high level management is tolerated and part of the culture.

All other comments about low morale, culture, and the extremely high turnover is 100% accurate. I couldn't be happier with my decision to leave this organization and go to one that actually appreciates their employees and has their best interest at heart every step of the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the sake of the Canadian Operations, the management team needs to be audited more frequently.

Churn and Burn. The ultimate revolving door.

Pros1. High earnings potential provided:
    -You are willing to work extensive unpaid overtime.
    -You don't value your work/life balance.
    -You're good friends with management (outside of work).
    2. Comprehensive product suite.

ConsUnlike it's US and international counterparts, CarereBuilder Canada is mismanaged and overrun with it's fair share of politics. Senior management offer very little support, direction or leadership.

Micromanagement to the extreme. Metrics are measured hourly. Think you're in outside sales? Think again. You're in a call centre. Combine this and a few other things together and you get a company whose turnover is absolutely unreal. Reps revolve weekly.

As motivation for hard work and closed deals you will be threatened with termination on a regular basis. Regardless of whether or not you've hit your goals your continued employment will hinge upon arbitrary numbers and fictitious goals set by management. In case you're wondering - none of these imaginary goals have anything to do with whether or not you actually hit your targets.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind experienced leaders for Canada. You preach constantly to prospects and clients alike that "finding the right candidate" is part of your solution. This is your opportunity to find LEADERS for the Canadian business.

Upward Mobility, Incredible Culture, Promising Future all here!!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe opportunity presented to me at CareerBuilder during my tenure has been incredible. My sales skills have become much sharper and I can attribute that development to the trainings I've had here.

As an organization, I love the fact that we sell software now and have been considered one of the top 30 SaaS companies globally. We are always staying ahead of trends in the industry so it's a huge advantage to us as sales reps.

The President's Club Trip I recently attended was top notch with lobster dinners and presents every night as well as unlimted entertainment daily. This company definitely values it's employees.

ConsA common difficulty I have is where to start helping a client. We offer over 300 solutions in our solution set so typically there are multiple offerings we can provide at any given time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to run frequent sales trainings and monthly events for reps who hit their quota. This is great for motivation.

Senior Account Executive

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGood earning potential. Additional incentives. Great suite of products to services clients.

ConsContrary to the American CEO, the Canadian office has no direction or leadership. Senior management pushes reps to work extended hours and micromanages more than anything.

The revolving door that was witnessed in my tenure is ludicrous. Your job is continuously dangled infront of you. No security in any way.

No real motivation from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to John Smith, Andrew Streiter and Mat Ferguson: Find true leaders for Canada. Canada's business will never grow to its capacity with the leaders in place. They truly only look out for themselves and not the health of business.

I've never been involved with a company so poorly run

Major Account Executive (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere aren't many pros to list, other than the fact that you can potentially earn good money if you are willing to
    -work extra hours (on top of the extra that you already work and aren't paid for, be prepared to start right at 8 and not leave until 5 without being interrogated).
    -become friends with the managers (only their friends get promoted)

Occasionally, we get taken out for team events that are usually centred around getting inebriated so if you like to drink, this would be a pro.

Benefits package is standard for the industry.

ConsDisciplined Freedom is preached but in reality, you are micromanaged to death by the automatic dial reports that are sent out every few hours to track how many dials each rep has made and how long they've been on the phones.

Your job is constantly threatened. if you don't sell specific product requirements, 2 months in a row (which has nothing to do with how you are compensated) you are put on a performance improvement plan (also known as the dreaded PIP) When on PIP the managers can accelerate it based on activity metrics and fire you at any time if you don't meet the activity requirements documented in the PIP. You are also required to sell specific products to get off PIP. If after 2 more months, you are unable to sell these specific products. You will be fired. (Or, as the managers like to call it, your PIP "expires"). On the surface, this doesn't sound so bad. It's also noteworthy that it doesn't matter how much you sell in ANY given month if it doesn't fall into these specific product buckets. You could sell 30K one month, 100K the next month and still be fired (if it doesn't meet those product requirements).

There is so little morale, it's like working with complete strangers. No one interacts with anyone because what's the point in building relationships with coworkers that will just be fired the next month. The turnover is so high, when someone doesn't show up for work one day, it's fair to assume their fired.

There are no values at all. The environment is extremely cut throat. This likely stems from the managers because although they act like they are invested in you, but it's all an act. They really only care about themselves and making sure they are successful. If this wasn't the case, the turnover wouldn't be as high as it is.

Trainings. You might be thinking, why is this a negative aspect? Trainings are MANDATORY once a week for reps who don't sell certain products. It doesn't matter how much total dollars you sold that month (could be 100K). If you don't sell certain products, you have to attend MANDATORY trainings which are held from 5-6pm. And no, these are not paid training hours. Once a week, you are required to work from 8-6 pm. There are also many mandatory trainings during lunch time. So days where you work 8-5pm with no lunch break. Also it is MANDATORY to come in at 730am for "dial blocks" where you call executives and attempt to set appointments with them. This is also unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe whole operation needs to be restructured.

Going downhill fast

Account Executive (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsDecent Entry level job but only for a short period of time
    Can help you get your next job at a better organization

ConsManagers. There’s a big difference between management and leadership. Everyone is lead by fear tactics (unless you're friends with the managers). Your job is always threatened.

Impossible to plan your life further than 2 or 3 months out. One month you’re a "rockstar", the next month you could be canned. There is no consistency as to what is deemed successful. The sales expectations are very unrealistic. No wonder the turn over is as high as it is. No office culture or morale.

Compensation: lower than any software organization. If you want to be considered a software organization, start paying like one.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not a popularity contest. Higher and promote the best people, not who you like or are friends with. Management needs to be audited.

Full of Smoking Mirrors

Major Account Executive (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsHigh earning potential
    Trip incentives
    Comparable benefits to other sales jobs

ConsPrepare to be extremely micromanaged (daily monitoring of dials and meeting sets)
    The environment resembles that of a call centre.
    No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover. Employees are expendable.
    Management promises upward mobility and opportunities for growth but this is never delivered upon unless you're part of the management's "boys club"

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people, not machines.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!