CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

Pros:
  • "Work-Life balance is also excellent depending on your group"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities"
    in 37 reviews
Cons:
  • "A decent portion of your bonus is tied to the sales survey given to the sales reps you support"
    in 14 reviews
  • "No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Upward Mobility, Incredible Culture, Promising Future all here!!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsThe opportunity presented to me at CareerBuilder during my tenure has been incredible. My sales skills have become much sharper and I can attribute that development to the trainings I've had here.

As an organization, I love the fact that we sell software now and have been considered one of the top 30 SaaS companies globally. We are always staying ahead of trends in the industry so it's a huge advantage to us as sales reps.

The President's Club Trip I recently attended was top notch with lobster dinners and presents every night as well as unlimted entertainment daily. This company definitely values it's employees.

ConsA common difficulty I have is where to start helping a client. We offer over 300 solutions in our solution set so typically there are multiple offerings we can provide at any given time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to run frequent sales trainings and monthly events for reps who hit their quota. This is great for motivation.

I've never been involved with a company so poorly run

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsThere aren't many pros to list, other than the fact that you can potentially earn good money if you are willing to
-work extra hours (on top of the extra that you already work and aren't paid for, be prepared to start right at 8 and not leave until 5 without being interrogated).
-become friends with the managers (only their friends get promoted)

Occasionally, we get taken out for team events that are usually centred around getting inebriated so if you like to drink, this would be a pro.

Benefits package is standard for the industry.

ConsDisciplined Freedom is preached but in reality, you are micromanaged to death by the automatic dial reports that are sent out every few hours to track how many dials each rep has made and how long they've been on the phones.

Your job is constantly threatened. if you don't sell specific product requirements, 2 months in a row (which has nothing to do with how you are compensated) you are put on a performance improvement plan (also known as the dreaded PIP) When on PIP the managers can accelerate it based on activity metrics and fire you at any time if you don't meet the activity requirements documented in the PIP. You are also required to sell specific products to get off PIP. If after 2 more months, you are unable to sell these specific products. You will be fired. (Or, as the managers like to call it, your PIP "expires"). On the surface, this doesn't sound so bad. It's also noteworthy that it doesn't matter how much you sell in ANY given month if it doesn't fall into these specific product buckets. You could sell 30K one month, 100K the next month and still be fired (if it doesn't meet those product requirements).

There is so little morale, it's like working with complete strangers. No one interacts with anyone because what's the point in building relationships with coworkers that will just be fired the next month. The turnover is so high, when someone doesn't show up for work one day, it's fair to assume their fired.

There are no values at all. The environment is extremely cut throat. This likely stems from the managers because although they act like they are invested in you, but it's all an act. They really only care about themselves and making sure they are successful. If this wasn't the case, the turnover wouldn't be as high as it is.

Trainings. You might be thinking, why is this a negative aspect? Trainings are MANDATORY once a week for reps who don't sell certain products. It doesn't matter how much total dollars you sold that month (could be 100K). If you don't sell certain products, you have to attend MANDATORY trainings which are held from 5-6pm. And no, these are not paid training hours. Once a week, you are required to work from 8-6 pm. There are also many mandatory trainings during lunch time. So days where you work 8-5pm with no lunch break. Also it is MANDATORY to come in at 730am for "dial blocks" where you call executives and attempt to set appointments with them. This is also unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe whole operation needs to be restructured.

Going downhill fast

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent Entry level job but only for a short period of time
Can help you get your next job at a better organization

ConsManagers. There’s a big difference between management and leadership. Everyone is lead by fear tactics (unless you're friends with the managers). Your job is always threatened.

Impossible to plan your life further than 2 or 3 months out. One month you’re a "rockstar", the next month you could be canned. There is no consistency as to what is deemed successful. The sales expectations are very unrealistic. No wonder the turn over is as high as it is. No office culture or morale.

Compensation: lower than any software organization. If you want to be considered a software organization, start paying like one.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not a popularity contest. Higher and promote the best people, not who you like or are friends with. Management needs to be audited.

Full of Smoking Mirrors

ProsHigh earning potential
Trip incentives
Comparable benefits to other sales jobs

ConsPrepare to be extremely micromanaged (daily monitoring of dials and meeting sets)
The environment resembles that of a call centre.
No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover. Employees are expendable.
Management promises upward mobility and opportunities for growth but this is never delivered upon unless you're part of the management's "boys club"

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people, not machines.

Personally not a fit. A real life Glengarry Glen Ross, without the leads.

Toronto, ON

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for less than a year

ProsOpportunity to make a lot of money. Hard workers will do well here. Great place to start a career in sales.

ConsNeed to be very focused on money and personal gain. Little team work, lots of internal competition. Needs of company are put ahead of needs of customers. Sales is the primary focus of this business. Expected to focus on cold calls only.

CareerBuilder Will Help you Build Your Career

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

Pros-What you put in, is what you get out
-If you work hard, you will be successful and rewarded financially
-Incredible opportunity to unleash your earning potential
-Ability to promote yourself, no other company will give you complete control over this
-Huge opportunity for upward mobility especially in the Canadian market

Cons-I tried two other Sales jobs before finding out about CB

Advice to Senior ManagementI have learned so much from my managers and directors while at CB. The lessons and skills are transferable and I now have the confidence to be successful anywhere. Anyone who is looking to catapult their career, earn a ton of doh, should checkout CareerBuilder today.

If you want to accelerate your career, it is here!

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat office culture
Products and services are constantly improving
Great support and leadership
You can get promoted fast if you succeed
Large bonuses and accelerator plan when you meet your quota
Amazing trip when you achieve your quota

ConsThe brand CareerBuilder is not as strong in Canada than in the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to continue to promote your employees

Get ready to compete at the next level!

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture and experience to be a part of.
Ability to share ideas on how to continue to grow in an expanding Canadian market.
Consitantly innovates new products that forever gives you a reason to keep enganging your customers.
Awesome compensation if you possess the sales ability to keep up and challenge yourself.
Training is fantastic and you will always learn new skills you didn't know you had....whether you are an experienced rep or someone who is relatively new to a sales career.
Management holds you to expectations and will always find ways to help you through challenges.

ConsIf you don't have the fire inside to compete and challenge yourself, you can become frustrated quickly. This is not a place for someone who wants to float their way through. Accept the challenge and you will be rewarded, otherwise you will sink.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to find ways to evolve into a larger organization. Help find experienced closers more opportunities to be in front of warm clients to keep up with growing quota expectations.

Great experience with plenty of upside.

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is Opportunity for upward mobility. Essentially you control how far you go. In order to do so, you must be willing to work.

ConsPlenty of support from the US but not enough in Canada quickly enough. Could be quicker.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you are working on bringing resources to Canada but please do it quicker. Great job growing the teams and becoming more sustainable with regards to turnover.

They don't care about your personal success

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

Pros- Extremely innovative company
- Cool company culture in US

Cons- No company culture in Toronto
- Work 8-5, and if you're 5 minutes late, prepare to have a meeting to explain yourself
- No success is good enough for management (you should always be doing MORE)
- Unbelievably high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to understand that your employees are people, and without them, you wouldn't have a job.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CareerBuilder reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson. All 392 reviews are posted anonymously by CareerBuilder employees.