CareFusion

Updated Apr 13, 2014

CareFusion Chairman and CEO Kieran Gallahue

Kieran Gallahue

134 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall good company to work for. Extraordinary amount of data collection but too much attention given to wrong details

Undisclosed (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at CareFusion as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood stability. Strong hierarchical management structure limits upward mobility. Everyone is very busy, but effectiveness is questionable. Overall, bureaucratic and sluggish management style is traditionally resistant to change, but could use a very strong dose of entrepreneurial problem solving infusion.

ConsCross-organizational culture is stagnant at best with little synergy. Most teams are too large to actually solve critical problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider using hands-on evangelists with authority to select small effective laser focused teams for problem solving. Otherwise, there are generally too many team players working the same problems with little or no effect. Additionally, there is too much wash, rinse and reuse of routine documentation for effective management tools and guidelines. A 360 degree process between design, supply-chain and manufacturing to invoke true continual improvement will go a long way.

Management team leaves much to be desired

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at CareFusion full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, day-to-day work culture is trending up (some of the improvements put in place earlier are coming to fruition)

ConsManagement team is weak, mostly due to reporting structure being in a constant state of flux. There are reorgs for reorgs, and the company can't seem to find a hierarchy it likes. Senior management seem to prefer their direct reports to be spineless yes-people.

Outsource, then chew up badged employees. Hire incompetence for the upper levels.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareFusion full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood salary plus bonuses. Nice campus.
Decent stock / 401K options.
Some good people in the trenches to work with.

ConsIncompetent middle and upper management who bring in their own useless cronies.
Directors let their petty tiffs impact projects and functionality.
Everyone tries to claim credit for the good things and place blame for the bad. Nobody willing to accept responsibility for their decisions.
Run you into the ground working after hours, nights, weekends.
Talk about culture, but don't actually live it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out the useless twits you have in IT. Replace them.

Until you can treat all your employees with respect, you won't be able to keep anyone.

Long Term Employee

I have been working at CareFusion full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits in terms of salary, PTO were excellent;
Medical, Dental, Vision good;
Intelligent and caring co-workers and teammates

ConsNeeded to beg for additional training on a yearly basis;
Project priorities changed on an almost daily basis;
Inadequate software test, technical writing, requirements resources;
Continual micro and macro re-alignment based on stockholder perceptions (focus on short term gains not on long term goals)
Low employee morale

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that employees are the most important asset to achieve long term goals therefore keeping true to cultural & company values is key to CareFusion's long term success.

FPA Department

Not Telling You (Former Employee)

I worked at CareFusion full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to learn a lot. There are a few good Directors in FPA.

There are A LOT of promotions at this company because

A) there is a lot of favoritism

B) The churn rate is ridiculously high

ConsPoor management, overburdening work schedule, long hours with no overtime pay (could be against US Labor Laws).

Managers come down on employees at times and treat them like crap. Don't expect management to be grateful for working superfluous hours, you are just doing 'status quo'

Extremely confusing matrix organization

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of managers are not ready to be managers at this company. Teach managers proper management skills. CareFusion has the worst mid-level management I've seen in my career. A manager should display proven leadership before becoming a manager not be a suck up/'teachers pet'.

Training is non existent, misallocation of work, confusing matrix work organization.

Micromanagement at its finest

Tech Support Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareFusion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-pay is good... Could be better.
-casual dress
-other employees are fantastic....it's the Supervisors and Managers that have lost their minds

Cons-MOST of the supervisory staff knows nothing of the products we support and so are unable to gauge what their employees need to get the job done.
-The tech center has Supervisors and Managers running up and down the aisles telling people to take calls - very unnerving
-Constant micromanagement...."What are you working on?" "Can I help you with something?"

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making crazy business decisions on a whim. Educate the supervisors so they know about the products - being a supervisor in a call center is not the same as being a supervisor in a tech call center.

Treat people the way you would like to be treated. Lead by example.

This job will own you and try to destroy you and your family, if you let it.

Not Telling You (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareFusion full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFull-time work with varying degrees of overtime. PTO accrual. Benefits exist. Better than flipping burgers.

ConsYour boss's honest is measured in micro-meters. Be on your guard, always.

You are a cog in a corporate environment. Know it. Live it. Learn to love it. Not family friendly at all. Bottom-line only traded company. The state of the economy plays a heavy role in decision making for how they treat employees (you are EXPENDABLE): They know there is always someone beating down the door to take your position and they are not afraid to remind you of it. QUALITY MEANS NOTHING to CareFusion ("Confusion" should be the real name).

If you have a family need for an unplanned circumstance, like surgery or sick leave, you will be told "the needs of the business" followed by some logical meandering way of telling you that you don't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is utterly clueless to the customer experience and employees trying to 'make-do' with the ineptness of how the development of new products are going.
Kieren, CEO, is just another figure-head waiting for a golden parachute. TSC is the #1 complaint of the customers.

CF has hired inept middle management that will finally sink the ship. It hasn't happened yet, but it will. repeatedly reminding skilled employees that we can and will be replaced says something about "CarelessFusion."

The mere fact that I'm hiding JOB TYPE/TITLE/CITY is a clue. Am pretty sure CF is monitoring this site. I'll keep the job, but at this point, it's ONLY a job. Not at all what I used to believe in.

No there yet...

Technical Support Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareFusion full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTalented People, Great Products. Company is going through lots of restructures and layoffs not just regular employees but senior leadership including Directors to VPs. My department's Director and VP are extremely talented and challenge individuals, they are outstanding.

ConsNot all employees share the passions and are only in it for the paycheck. Individuals lack higher level and analytical thinking in my department. Managers don't have the Technical knowledge or understanding of what the position entails. They also don't engage or challenge their leaders and only have a follow attitude. I would expect a manager to fully be engaged with a director and VP to ask questions when a decision has been made to say why vs. will do.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for what is right and challenge what you feel unsure about. Last 2 years with CareFusion has been through unbelievable speed of "Continues Improvement" aka Change aka layoffs aka new hires. I feel they are going into the right direction but it will take some time and it wont happen within the next year or 2 but 5+ years. I'm starting to see senior leadership with tenure leave and I think its good because those are the individuals that have been absorbed from mergers and acquisition who don't share the same vision and have a difficult time with change/new ideas.

Not a good place for long run.

Analyst (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at CareFusion full-time for more than a year

Prosthe pay is decent but only good for surviving, there's no room for growth.

ConsManagement needs to collaborate and promote from within.

A Good Place To Work While Looking For Your Next Job

Principal Software Quality Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at CareFusion full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive benefits and pay with local area. A good place to work while you look for another job

ConsVery tops down rigid hierarchy management structure. Lots of directors and executive managers have their own offices and tend to be disconnected with individual employees. This is not a place where you can expect executive management to listen to your ideas; alternative viewpoints are simply not accepted. The company gives a good sells pitch for collaboration and culture to attract you during the hiring process, once inside you will quickly learn it’s just talk.
The company bonus structure is very disproportional with directors getting 15+% bonuses while individual contributors get about 1%. It’s a great place to work if you’re a director and above but for most it's constant layoffs under a false premise of “simplification”.
Products are ok, but tend to be lacking in cutting edge technology designs that customers really want.
Mid level mangers create their own empires with agendas that don’t align with CEO goals. Communication is very controlled and if you speak up you will be a target for the next layoff. Moral is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the management overhead. Set the objectives, then get out of the way and let your employees do the job. Encourage and reward creative thinking.

Worked for CareFusion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CareFusion reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CareFusion CEO Kieran Gallahue. All 134 reviews posted anonymously by CareFusion employees.