CarMax Reviews

Updated 13 October, 2014
3.2

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • Work life balance, great pay, advancement opportunities, amazing relocation program (in 25 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • As a full time sales consultant there is absolutely no work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales at carmax

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Duarte, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Duarte, CA (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best reasons are that it is a great place to learn about sales and customer service.

Cons

Not enough compensation per vehicle sold

Up the commission

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in South Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in South Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Environment to work at. Good people to work with. Good products.

Cons

Strict commission only. Long Hours. Lack of no base pay.

Just continue to be there for your employees as you have always been.

Great company to gain experience and work for.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at CarMax part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing training program. Very high customer traffic which allows you to make a decent amount of money. Benefits are very good as well as a laid back management staff that consistently helps associated improve.

Cons

As any sales jobs, income is not consistent. There is also not a high financial incentive to move into management, as their income does not compare to an average sales managers income.

Pay your sales associates on their appraisal purchases that are tied to a trade-in. It is unreasonable, given that the amount of work is more than an appraisal but consultants don't get paid.

One of the best companies to work for, am sorry I ever left it.

Former Employee - Business Office Administrator, Lead Detail in Kennesaw Acres, GA (US)

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Great company that treats each employee with respect and like family.
    * A company that is honest and will help you move up very quickly.
    * What ever position you are in weather its sales, service or buyers program you will be well trained to succeed.
    * Great benefits and pay to make a great living .

Cons

* Be ready to work long hours and weekends (sometimes)
    * Some jobs can be very physical and also get used to being in a inside/outside working environment.
    * Get used to being on your feet very seldom are you sitting down. Always on the go
    * If in sales , get used to dead times especially the rainy days

Keep treating your guys under you like you would want to be treated. Remember Attitude reflects Leadership, Management. Every manager that I was under, worked with me and respected me not like a person with authority but as an equal.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at CarMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

CarMax offers a very competitive pay, and outstanding work benefits. Their training program is outstanding.

Cons

Very competitive, you must be willing to work hard to get paid well. No a suitable job for someone not willing to earn their money.

Great company

I worked at CarMax

Pros

They have retail hours so it makes for a great part time job (evenings and weekends).
    You have uniform shirts which I think is always a plus...minimizes searching for outfits every day.

Cons

Getting raises after each phase (4 of them) of testing. Sometimes you are done with the phases but it can't be reviewed because the Business Office mgmt keeps putting it off and there is a deadline for completing them ALL.

The best place to work for and get valuable customer relation skills that can be used in everyday life.

I worked at CarMax

Pros

The training, culture, integrity. The training provided is top notch and have used this in current life situations.

Cons

Some transactions may take longer than normal due to the stipulations involved and may require you to stay well after your shift is over. You really don't want to pass it off because you have built such a great rapport with your guest that you feel responsible and want to see it through to the end.

Great place to work with good money to be made

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was great. Managers met with you monthly for a performance review. Most stores have steady to very heavy traffic year round.

Cons

Cyclical income at times. Your weekends will be at the Max, not at home. New sales consultants will be taken advantage of by other sales people who have been there for a while.

Pay low level managers more. The turn over is awful

Great Employees and Fun Place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Merriam, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Merriam, KS (US)

I have been working at CarMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great, very supportive and always had a positive attitude. The initial training was very good and they have great online training mixed with personal coaches. It's a perfect place for someone who is just getting started in Sales

Cons

I worked part time, basically filling in for full time employees. I did not like coming in for just 3 hours in the evening as it just was not enough time to spend with customers and make sales. Although I did make quite a few sales and was told I was doing a great job, I did figure out that I was only making about $15 an hour. I was on commission and the amount of hours needed to make a decent living was simply too much. However I must note that you can make a better living if you stick it out and become a Senior Sales Consultant. Your commission rates are higher and you can make your own schedule.

Be more upfront with potential employees about working hours and shifts, and low commissions starting out. Part Time Employees should be able to work day shifts and not just come in and allow full time reps to go home to their families. If I was given day time hours, I would still be working there!

Losing track of company mission

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at CarMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great and many opportunities in the company to participate in team activities.

Cons

A lot of work for a flat rate commission, much confusion and lack of communication between departments, much downtime in my location, decreasing vehicle quality, and lack of presence from senior management.

Try not to micromanage as much.