Canfor

Be The First To
Add Photos

Canfor President and CEO Donald B. (Don) Kayne

Donald B. (Don) Kayne

great pay, above average benefits

Millwright (Current Employee)
Mackenzie, BC

I have been working at Canfor full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgreat pay, above average benefits

Consintimidation in the workplace, lots of bullies, not much appreciation and uncaring about home life

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people experienced in managing people, do not discriminate against people "there is no one hireable in town" stop with the nepotism!

Nice co-workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Canfor

ProsPeople there were nice to work with. Had a good benefit package and retirement plan. There were some opportunities for career and personal growth.

ConsIt was very productivity oriented. It put a lot pressure on its employees at all levels. Training and support for new employees were poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication and out of box thinking

I had a good experience here gaining valuable knowledge of the pulp and paper industry.

Fibreline Process Coop Student (Former Employee)
Prince George, BC

I worked at Canfor as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat pay, friendly people, valuable experience.

ConsNot a particularly safe work environment, smelly work, somewhat of a dying industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpoil coop students to make them want to come there, give them free stuff (e.g. jackets, shirts, water bottles, etc.).

Only job in town

Planning Forester (Former Employee)
Prince George, BC

I worked at Canfor

ProsThe only job in town for foresters, close to home, some good people, salaries are competitive.

Conslow-cost corporate culture, intense competition for positions, expected to be on-call all the time, hire a specific type of personell that obeys orders and follows procedures, not honest about career paths and possibilities, string part-time employees along with the promise of full-time positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a real team atmosphere instead of condescending to junior and intermediate employees.

Canfor a good place to work for a while

Lumber Grader (Current Employee)
Fort Saint John, BC

I have been working at Canfor

ProsYou get to work in a relatively warm environment with new technologies in the sawmilling realm. The first jobs you get are menial, dirty and back breaking, usually on a night shift which are hell on your body and mind, eventually you can begin to tolerate it. The light at the end of the tunnel is bidding off cleanup and getting on the line where you can make good coin. Normal operations you get 1 hr OT a day or 10 per check which adds up real fast. Boring but rewarding work when you break a production record. Also most of the managers are pretty good guys and are flexible.

ConsPersonally the shift work is the best and worst thing about working at Canfor. Some guys love working the afternoon shift so they can run around in the morning and get stuff done around town, banking, shopping, minding the kids while the wife is at work. Most however just tolerate it and look at the paycheck. The changing from nightshift to dayshift every 2 weeks takes a toll on your body and sleep is sometimes at a premium, especially in the summer when you're trying to sleep through the hottest part of the day. Also missing evenings for me when I want to go out with my buddies or play in my sports leagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight now the lumber industry is in the doldrums and I am just happy to be in mill where our financial standing is better than a lot of other mills. If I was to suggest something to Senior Management it is that more communication about or present financials be filtered down to the hourly workers and let us know further in advance of any layoffs or shutdowns so people can prepare themselves and plan their lives accordingly.

Fear & intimidation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Canfor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFair salary, better then average benefits, able to work unlimited hours with possible extra compensation, good after the fact training,

Consalways someones fault, find the root cause of any challenge or missed key performance indicator and teach someone a lesson, A scared worker is a better worker, better work half you day and cover your but the other half, as the blame game will start and hope it someone else this week

Advice to Senior ManagementFear and intimidation was in 1950 open your eyes to keep good people

Worked for Canfor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canfor reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Canfor CEO Donald B. (Don) Kayne. All 6 reviews are posted anonymously by Canfor employees.