Campbell Soup

Campbell Soup Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Campbell Soup President and CEO Denise Morrison

Denise Morrison

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance program as work from home and taking care of self is encouraged"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Great people who take pride in doing good work"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be a challenge because cutbacks over the last several years have required everyone to do more with less"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Senior management relies too much on middle management and have caused many failures in business projects"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A very paternalistic company, friendly work environment, but little opportunity for growth

Customer Service Analyst (Current Employee)
Celaya, Guanajuato (Mexico)

I have been working at Campbell Soup full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIs a leading brand
Friendly work environment
Opportunity to improve many things

ConsLittle opportunity for growth
Poor communication between departments
Manual processes

Advice to Senior ManagementActive involvement of all leaders

Campbell Soup is a solid company

Business Unit Leader (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Campbell Soup full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork life balance, innovative, forward thinking, most managers engage the workforce. Cross-functional team development increased year after year for the past 3 years.

ConsBeing a large corporation their are numerous layers to get through to get to the decision makers. Local VP and Plant Manager were too wrapped up in the business politics to see the plant was the target to close. Many employees saw it coming and tried to get the attention of the VP and plant manager to find a way to stop the closure event.

Advice to Senior ManagementDenise Morrison, the next plant closure or major change that takes place show that you care. You displayed absolutely no empathy to the Sacramento closure.

Campbell's has clear opportunities to fix within field sales

Field Sales (Former Employee)
Bentonville, AR (US)

I worked at Campbell Soup full-time for more than a year

ProsCampbell's is a iconic U.S. brand with a great heritage. A broad portfolio of products across multiple aisles at retail provide them the size and leverage necessary to negotiate with retailers and gain critical points of distribution. They pay extremely well and have fairly solid benefits which make their job openings very appealing to outsiders.

ConsTheir HR department is empowered to make decisions without due process and accurate research, or a relevant understanding of the atmospheres and sub-cultures within the field sales teams. The field Category Management team reports to their field Sales team which can provide a conflict of interest externally with some retailers. What they say versus what they do regarding work/life balance are polar opposites (my team worked 48 hours straight on a project, and it was expected by senior management).

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly reorganize when it meets a strategic directive. Do not reorganize in order to shift power to one department over another. Investigate the HR department for opportunities to educate how to influence morale in a positive way, and encourage them to visit the field teams they support to better understand the culture.

Operations Intern

Operations Intern (Current Employee)
Napoleon, OH (US)

I have been working at Campbell Soup as an intern for less than a year

ProsA really good opportunity if you are interested in manufacturing and management. Well paid and lots of overtime.

ConsAlthough overtime pay is nice, it was a lot of overtime. Including most weekends.

Nice People, Poor Leadership

I have been working at Campbell Soup full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople are generally nice and hard-working
Good benefits
Nice facilities

ConsNo vision or strategy...just lots of fire drills
Risk-averse leadership
No diversity of people or ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk the talk...people can see right through it.

Worst year of my 17 year career

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Campbell Soup full-time for less than a year

ProsBrand recognition and household penetration

ConsMeeting-centric culture that values face-time over actually getting work done; absolutely NO flexibility to work remotely and work/personal balance. Culture is extremely toxic... kind of like Game of Thrones set in a corporate environment.

The former president of the sales company was a tyrant, and was known as the biggest bully in the company, yet he was rewarded for 11 years. Old-school manage-by-fear style that was emulated by many others.

Back-stabbing and passive-aggressive behavior permeate all levels of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop tolerating poor leadership behaviors from your leaders and employees; take a look at your turnover (particularly in HR) and figure out why so many of your talent is leaving. During exit interview, I was told that HR had lost 19 HR professionals in less than a year.

Business Intern

Business Intern (Former Employee)
Bentonville, AR (US)

I worked at Campbell Soup as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to work with very intelligent people and learn from some of the best in the business. Had the opportunity to work with a bunch of different departments and get a well balanced feel of the overall company.

ConsSome departments didn't have specific things set up for me to do as an intern so there was some time that I was just left with random projects or waiting for someone to give me something to do - but it wasn't bad.

Ups and downs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Campbell Soup full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat opportunity to learn a lot from a well respected company. Great resume builder.

ConsLay offs are common depending on business results and leadership strategies. There are a lot of politics. Don't believe that they actually value you. Keep the door open to other opportunities or you could be out the door with no job. New CEO is trying too hard to prove herself.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at the results of senior leaders. Many times, they take credit for others' work and eliminate those who get in their way. I left the company because of this. Leadership is entitled and embroiled in politics.

HORRIBLE! stay away, find another internship opportunity!

Product Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Campbell Soup as an intern for less than a year

Prosflexible work hours, big company, established name

Consintern is looked at just as an 'extra pair of hands', no real project was given out but expect to have a final presentation in the end of your "project." people there like to ask us around to do things for them even though its their project and they would be doing other irrelevant things such as cooking for dinner using Campbell's ingredients!

Advice to Senior Managementplease treat the interns better. we are there to learn too and get something out of the experience. also, pay more attention to how the employees use their time.

Good experience, but horrible culture

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Campbell Soup full-time for less than a year

Proscompensation; benefits; co-workers; good experience

Conscut throat culture; decentralized environment

Worked for Campbell Soup? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Campbell Soup reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Campbell Soup CEO Denise Morrison. All 128 reviews are posted anonymously by Campbell Soup employees.