CVS Health

3,856 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,425 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Shift Supervisor

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Nice people to work with.
    Job wasn't too difficult.
    I thought the pay was fair.

Cons

I don't think they gave enough training before leaving you alone as a shift manager.

pharm tech

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

employee discount, will pay for PTCB, great for learning and while in college

Cons

can have demanding hours, rude customers, things constantly changing, no room for growth, low pay

I loved this job. I love fast pace and this job was perfect. I will Deff recommend cvs

Former Employee - Split Case Picker in Waverly, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Split Case Picker in Waverly, PA (US)

I worked at CVS Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its a fast pace environment. The time flies an I slept great. I would work here again

Cons

The tickets Can be difficult if you don't have a the means to try

Trials and tribulations happen. I loved this job.

In decline

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Camp Hill, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Camp Hill, PA (US)

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great crews, employee discounts, employee stock purchase plan is great

Cons

Corporate directives, and cutting of hours, work expectations placed on supervisors vs salary.

People come first, not profits. Getting rid of tobacco in stores was a great move, but lead to some confusion from customers for a time.

CVS Cashier Clerk Job Review,

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Fun
    Customers
    Schedule
    Learning Experience
    Nice Cool place to work

Cons

Employe to customer ratio
    Grumpy People

Easy to handle
    Good with scheduling/very flexible

Former Employee - Photo Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Photo Lab Technician

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers make it fun
    Easy to handle
    Good with scheduling/very flexible
    Great first job to get retail experience

Cons

Customers can be very aggressive
    Coupon hoarders/fraudulent coupons/people who can't read sale signs will be the bane of your existence
    Sales only apply to specific items (can be as specific to size of product or type.. i.e. only 3oz cans of peanuts, only total home brand products)
    Didn't give me proper compensation for my work.. promised $11 an hour, only receive $9 an hour

Better communication

Great Place to Work

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Retail is not for everyone, but if you have great people skills and enjoy customer service this is a job for you. Most managers are willing to help you advance on within the company if you so wish, and even if you don't they seem to care about their employees.

Cons

With any retail job the hours can be long, and there are definitely days where customers can be very tough. Only other bad thing I can think of is that if you are in a low volume store, meaning not many sales are happening, you can find yourself stuck with a lot of busy work jobs.

Be kind to your employees and remember that they have lives as well. No body wants to work every Saturday and Sunday for weeks in a row, especially if they have families.

Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

The employees were very nice, I always got along with them.

Cons

For all the work we did, the pay should be better

need way more tech, so many customers