CVS Health Reviews

4,130 Reviews
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,522 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at CVS Health as an intern

Pros

- Good hours
    - Learning opportunities are endless
    - Constant challenge
    - Great people
    - Intern programs (speaker series, Charity Day events, mentorship, etc.)
    - Well-organized
    - Easy to network across the company

Cons

- Could pay more for undergraduate interns. Living cost in Northeast is expensive...

Advice to Management

Keep it up

3. Art Buyer/Photo Producer

Current Contractor - Art Buyer/Photo Producer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - Art Buyer/Photo Producer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CVS Health as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good and reasonable budgets for various types/sizes of photo shoots. Good pay. Excellent team including excellent director of the department in which i work.

Cons

I don't have any cons I can think of....

5. Pharmacy tech

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with nice people. I love my manager, she helps me with everything! They are so flexible when it comes to the schedule.

Cons

I went from tech in trainee to certified tech since February, and I still didn't get my raise. It can be stressful environment sometimes, and you have to deal with the rudest people.

Advice to Management

They have to make sure that everyone is getting their raises, because if I don't love my store, I would go and find another company that pays a lot more!

Customer Service/Cashier

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Whiting, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Whiting, NJ (US)

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Their required quarterly training keeps you current and up to date with HIPPA laws as well as consumer laws. Some stores have good hands on training. They are also good to college students who need few hours to keep their employment status.

Cons

They do not hire full time employees unless you are management. A front end cashier must do everything including outside garbage and bathrooms. It is very hard to get any kind of pay increase unless you apply for another position.

Advice to Management

Guarantee part time people at least 20 hours a week. (If they can do it, give it to them). Teach other things then just "facing" - show how to use photo, receiving merchandise/orders. People may have more initiative to help out.

7. Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Gibbsboro, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Gibbsboro, NJ (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great customer service, hours are flexible to work with, and the people who have worked there for a good amount of time are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

Too many tasks due all at once, not enough colleague hours, not enough emphasis on doing a good job, always the negative side instead of the positive.

Advice to Management

Learn as much as you can and use your skills to build a network of people to know to go to with questions and ideas.

Pharmacy Technician

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Health benefits, employee discount is good

Cons

Not much help, pay is low

9. Pharmcy Tech/Cashier

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Florence, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Florence, SC (US)

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with; Work hours flew by when we were busy; wage increase every year you work; good training

Cons

Long Hours standing up; Didn't know my schedule ahead of time; a lot of cleaning/organizing while balancing customer service.

10. customer service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bourne, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bourne, MA (US)

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great place to work part time

Cons

none - everything was great at this company

11. warehouse worker

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good leaning experience for me I like working with my hands and like working around people.

Cons

have no down side but I know it will be looing forward to working for this company

Advice to Management

make sure you have everyone on the same level.