CNO Financial Group

Add Photos

CNO Financial Group CEO and Director Edward J. (Ed) Bonach

Edward J. (Ed) Bonach

Neutral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCNO offers a good work/life balance.

ConsBenefits are not great. Promotions seem hard to get as there are limited spaces.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider focusing more on strategic objectives and less on the details of execution.

Great Place to work

Internal Audit Intern (Current Employee) Carmel, IN (US)

ProsIt was a good environment. No major complaints. Great compensation. Overall, it was the best place I have worked

ConsIf you like to stay busy this is not the place for you. There was an abundance of time allowed for tasks and a ton of down time.

Dead end

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany of the people below manager are friendly and great to work with.

ConsManagers are inept and manage by fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying you work through teamwork, recognize that your teams are really cliques and change the culture. Likewise, stop obfuscating information with the PowerPoint charts. Most of those have too much meaningless information. Let your managers do their jobs and don't micro-manage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good people to work with

Proswork life balance / WFH facility / Strong on Project Management

ConsLot of legacy systems / Best practices not followed

Advice to Senior Managementsimply cutting on cost will not bring growth

Claims Adjuster

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Carmel, IN (US)

ProsA lot of overtime. Know what to expect in each job. Work autonomous. Diverse group of people. Very little supervision. Good computer systems available to do the job. Good help desk service. Can work at home and job flexibility.

ConsLow wages. There is a lot of politics in order to move up. Not a friendly atmosphere. High turnover at all levels. Lower level positions are low wages. Top down type management structure. They want employees to give feedback but are not too receptive to criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower level positions need better raises and bonuses. Management needs to be more open to new ideas.

Don't look for advancement, no room

ProsThere are many good caring people other than management

ConsPerformance review is a joke, managers are inept, very political, pay raises 0 - 1%, not team oriented, very cliquish

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with your staff to understand what they need to do their jobs

Good at first but went downhill fast

Senior Applications Developer (Former Employee) Carmel, IN (US)

ProsThey had good people...so long as they did not get laid off. Provided a good selection of software tools to use.

ConsTop heavy management and apparently random layoff of working staff. They laid off a few senior people and had to bring them back because no else could do their job. That is how stupid management was

One VP promised upper management they would convert six systems to new application in nine months when the industry standard is about 12-18 months to convert one system. They did it in about a year but the conversion was faulty due to hurrying the job. Another example of poor management.

They were real big on project management. I worked on project where the project manager finished up the project plan about a week after the project wrapped. I never found a project manager there who was of any value to me. I often attended weekly hour-long meetings where I would contribute my 30 seconds and then get nothing from any other part of the meeting. Their main job seemed to be churning out paper for upper management.

I quit because I did not know from one day to the next if I would have a job or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce your executive payroll and hire more good people to actually do the work. Be careful of the promises made by middle management officers on the lookout to move up in the company. They can lie to you or mislead you in order to look good and then pressure their staff to meet an unrealistic deadline with a defective product.

Small company feel, focus on results

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsPeople generally care about what they are doing
    Midwestern values makes for a pleasant work environment
    Good leadership who know how to lead the company to success

ConsSome people have a hard time keeping up with technological advances
    Old school thinking can lead to getting stuck in ruts
    Lack of attention to 21st century marketing processes and insight

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in some top notch consumer and insight marketers

Friends get promoted, not qualified people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carmel, IN (US)

ProsGrowing company, job security, location

ConsThe managers are not qualified managers and therefore are unable to lead

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what your people are doing

It's a job

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Carmel, IN (US)

ProsThere are small pockets for really good people

ConsLack of incentives at the lower levels make people not want to stick around.

Worked for CNO Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!