CNA Reviews

Updated 27 October, 2014
2.6

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed
Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, great people to work with (in 24 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr (in 14 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Leadership Sorely Lacking

Former Employee - Senior Policy Service Representative in Reading, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Policy Service Representative in Reading, PA (US)

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a hard working body of workers. You might find yourself making a few good friends. Benefits are the usual but health coverage is subpar.

Cons

I worked at CNA for a pretty long time. I finally gave my notice and left. The reasons were numerous but mostly centered around the most over-used word at CNA -- Leadership. Does "Leadership" mean a supervisor who doesn't answer email, a manager who can't respond to a question about a job posting or a director who thinks it's appropriate to email me her goodbye when her desk is less than 10 steps away? I don't think so and neither do the 70 or so others I watched walk out during my time there. There is a great book called The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader. In this book the author, John C. Maxwell, talks about those all too important qualities that great leaders must have. This is an excellent book for those that actually have these qualities to begin with and want to develop them more. Leaders must have CHARACTER. What does that mean? Doing the right things -- always. "Character is more than just talk. Followers do not trust leaders whose character they know to be flawed, and they will not continue following them." Probably one of the reasons why the turnover is so high at CNA. At CNA we wanted leaders to stand up for us but they didn't have the COURAGE. "If you don't have the ability to see when to stand up and the conviction to do it, you'll never be an effective leader." I could go on but the point is this: If you want to join the CNA team think long and hard about whether or not you will be able to stand the frustration that you must endure to work there. Luckily I'm at a company now that does a much better job.

Have the foresight to realize that a baseball team does not consist of 9 pitchers. Quit surrounding yourselves with clones of yourselves and seek more diversity. You'll be able to build a stronger team. Concentrate on problem solving and IMPLEMENTING solutions. Don't know what to do? Ask your people and LISTEN but you MUST act too!

Petty Politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule
    Work From Home Opportunities

Cons

Too Much Focus on Personalities and not enough on the work at hand
    Leadership is absent most of the time
    No Home Work Life Balance
    Benefits are costly with large deductibles
    Systems are inadquate
    Too Many Chiefs and not enough Indians

Change the Culture

Used to be a good place to work; now the only thing that matters are the metrics.

I have been working at CNA

Pros

Challenging work in specialty claims.

Cons

Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions. Training is non-existent. Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr.

Instead of just talking the talk about your employees being your most important asset, start showing them.

The worst job I ever had in my entire career

Former Employee - Something In the Accounting Department in Maitland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Something In the Accounting Department in Maitland, FL (US)

I worked at CNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I needed a job and I took this one because I was being laid off from my former job. I had to take a cut in pay of course, because the pay was lousy.

Cons

No training
    Poor management
    Poor morale
    Poor human resources department
    Very unprofessional environment
    Hated this job, every second was pure torture

Fire everyone and start over. Oh, wait. They already did that, about a thousand times and they still have the same problems.

Ever-reorganizing, stale products, and reactionary leadership.

Former Employee - Specialty Lines Underwriting Director in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Specialty Lines Underwriting Director in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

on-site health club. Friendly field employees (making the best of bad executive leadership by being nice to each other).

Cons

unresponsive, unreliable leadership (field and product). Product and field leaders are not in tune and leave the field employees confused and clueless. Ultimately paying the price by never being able to achieve their goals.

Field and product need to proactively engage each other before delivering messages to the field. Be on the same page and help the field work with their distribution partners.

Not pleasant

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CNA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few good people in the company.

Cons

The bureaucracy and red tape is ridiculous. Nothing can be accomplished in the company. Every couple of years there is a round of layoffs.

Good mostly

I worked at CNA

Pros

Team.
    Excellent managers.
    Training.
    Ok salary

Cons

No work life balance. Upper level management took no measures to curb high attrition.

Work on attrition. Set realistic high expectations.

Great company with focus

Current Employee - Underwriter Specialist in Maitland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Underwriter Specialist in Maitland, FL (US)

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth in International company

Cons

It's not the largest insurance company but they do have a good and solid growth plan for the long term

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at CNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A solid group of co-workers who really gave their all to help the organization.

Cons

I have never seen a company with a worse culture. The Denver site changed for the worse after the Chicago brain trust sent in its proxies to run the operation.

Clean house, particularly the managers and executives in World Wide Operations and the Western Service Center. The approach they take is far out of line with modern expectations of what a leader should be.

Very much enjoyed working here

Former Employee - Claims
    Former Employee - Claims

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great teamwork; supportive senior management. Excellent pay and benefits. Many opportunities for all employees to be heard.

Cons

Position eliminated. Job security is more of an issue than in years past