CMA CGM America

Updated May 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Frank Baragona

worst experience from my career.

Executive (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

Proslet me think about...no pros

Consbad micromanagement, very stressful environment, no human values. They describe so well the company at the interview and then you find that they don`t have a background to sustain their lies.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement should try to respect human beings and try to be professionals.

Great Company on Paper

Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsGreat Benefits (Really great)
    Good opportunities to move around and up in the company
    Friendly coworkers
    Cross-training opportunities

ConsDifferent supervisors/peers = different procedures for common activities. Leads to mistakes
    Because they are easy to move up in, this results in some managers/supervisors not being the best fit
    Very low payscale
    Personal Experience: Was hired for a position, then 5 months later, my position was outsourced. Was very disappointed that they would hire (several people) knowing they would be removing my position anyways.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistent procedure training for managers

Great workplace environment

Team Leader (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsTeam dynamic is great, benefits and time off are unmatchable.

ConsThe pay isn't as high due to other benefits and its hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better communication with employee and assist with growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started pretty good

export bookings - premiere/stars (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsGreat training and benefits. The management is pretty good; some better than others.

ConsThey pick their favorites so I can't advance and they always have a lame excuse as to why they won't hire me for a different position that I am well-qualified for.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the time to help your team members excel and advance.

Some Good Some Not So Good

Management (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsMoving in right direction in some things - Salary / Bene's

ConsHR Policies are brutal. HR does not take stand and spineless when it comes to advising FRENCH head office of US policies and practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementCapable people need to be in HR positions - not ones that inherent the role

This place is a joke

ProsGreat benefits and paid time off. (These two factors are probably the only things keeping 95% of the employees they have).

ConsPay is low for most positions. Undeserving people are regularly rewarded, even after making costly and time consuming mistakes. Management will say horrible things about their employees behind their backs rather than addressing the issue with the employee. Little room for advancement. Management plays favorites. Egos run rampant, especially amongst supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding incompetence and ignoring childish behavior. Don't make employees feel guilty for using their PTO. Don't ask for your employees opinions and then ignore them. If you actually listened and took appropriate action - your employees might start to respect you.

Not for the non-white ambitious person

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits
    Paid time off accruals are nice
    Miss the Christmas bonuses

ConsTop heavy company with lots of departmental redundancies
    Favoritism is rampant
    Hard work and profiency will get you nowhere
    Arrogant smug supervisors and managers and Directors, very unprofessional and unfortunately they have the most influence
    Spoiled brats are well liked and quickly promoted
    Poor communication ineffective management
    Recommendation is to work there and learn all you can and leave before you get stuck
    If you get hired and you are black don't even think about advancing or promotion (unless they send you over from France or a sympathizer in HR hires you from the outside for an executive level position, I don't think she is there anymore)
    Place is like High School, lots of gossip
    Exclusive atmosphere, smiles are not genuine
    No loyalty
    Poorly qualified managers that seem to think micromanaging is all there is to managing
    Tends to developed skilled teams then hire a babysitter (manager) from a different department who doesnt have a clue to manage knowledgeable associates
    Tense environment with a lot of arrogant smug individuals, they are well liked.
    The President is a Bigot

Advice to Senior ManagementDemote yourselves, you are not needed

A lesson in the corporate environment: How I learned I'm not a robot.

Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsPTO (paid time off) accrues quickly even for new hires. Holidays off/optional. Benefits. Pay was on par.

ConsThe obscene amount of middle management. Mundane. Very passive aggressive environment. There is movement in this company however, it is of minimal monetary gain. The stress : compensation ratio is quite lopsided. Lastly, you will be treated like a fourth grader...and theres no recess.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're talking a lot but you're not saying anything. Listen better. Send e-mails less. Embrace change!

Steamship line review

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsPromotes from within, exceptional training and team work

ConsNever closes for door for bad weather

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit the supervisors frequently and push so the employees know there is an open door policy. People tend to not speak up when management is not approachable

Entry Level Position

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsBenefits. CMA is French owned & do not skimp on the welfare of their employees.

Conslack of growth, constant increase in workload (more with less atmosphere), minimal pay increases, micro-management is encouraged, employees are often targeted by management for personal reasons as opposed to performance

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the employee surveys seriously. When a manager is constantly having employees approach HR, do something about the manager (not the employee!).

Worked for CMA CGM America? Contribute to the Community!