CIT Reviews

Updated 17 October, 2014
2.7

CIT Chairman and CEO John A. Thain
John A. Thain

Pros
  • Depending on which department you are in, you usually have a great work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is not in touch with all of the businesses (in 8 reviews)

• this was once a good company but senior management team broke it and continue to drive this ship in the dirt with reckless abandon (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Financial Industry Makes a Difference!

Current Employee - Vice President in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Livingston, NJ (US)

I have been working at CIT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Talented group of individuals who jointly collaborate to meet company goals.
    Challenging, fast paced and a terrific place to grow, exceed and be recognized.
    Excellent compensation package.

Cons

Regulation requirements sometimes hinder overall success.
    Leadership IT team is slightly top-heavy.
    Advancement can be challenging.

Consider conducting an internal assessment of human resources before going out into the marketplace to seek skills that might already exist in-house.

A temporary employee through Kelly Services. Last year at employer 2009

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Livingston, NJ (US)

I worked at CIT as a contractor

Pros

They appeared to have a lot of strengths and were organized. Decent pay. At the time that I was there in the Livingston office they had a good chef in their cafeteria and the price of lunch was not expensive. After he left it still was pretty decent. The department that I worked in was pretty clean looking with cubicles that was were decently spacious and lightly colored. I believe that room was newly done. I was treated nicely and the employees seemed to have community like mentality and seemed to help one another. Monthly they would have birthday celebrations with a cake ordered by the Admin for employees that were the born in that particular month. For Christmas, even though I was only a temp, they gave me a $50.00 gift card, and I was only assisting on certain things.

Cons

I would have to think about it.

All about facetime

Former Employee - Human Resources in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Livingston, NJ (US)

I worked at CIT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CIT is a large global financial institution across several markets--good opportunities to grow. Headquarters are in NJ but in NYC as well.

Cons

All about the facetime - work life doesn't matter to mgmt as this company is typically a vacation away from the more competitive banking. While everyone has laptops, old school mgmt looks down if there are empty seats at 6 pm even on Friday nights in the summer

Need a better career proposition to keep strong talent other than ' these hours are better then Merrill'

Good People

Former Employee - Senior Technologist in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Technologist in Livingston, NJ (US)

I worked at CIT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, Relatively well organized, A decent mission as far a Finance goes, Global footprint, Diverse business

Cons

Many layers of bureaucracy, Competing priorities, A kingdom of fiefdoms, never fully recovered form 2008 financial meltdown/bankruptcy, Some confusion about true market position

Stop trying to be Goldman

this company is broken.

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Livingston, NJ (US)

I have been working at CIT as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

-good cafeteria - good food and good people work there.
    -foosball table.

Cons

-no moral compass.
    -the good people have left already or are leaving.

-this was once a good company but senior management team broke it and continue to drive this ship in the dirt with reckless abandon.

“...people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

― Maya Angelou

Worst IT experience and work environment

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Livingston, NJ (US)

I worked at CIT as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Seriously can't think of anything. Maybe the onsite cafeteria

Cons

Upper management does not listen to recommendations or potential road blocks for projects. The transition within IT was not well planned. Internal dept communication is terrible as well as overall direction. This is pretty much the worst work experience I have had.

Change the overall leadership and try again.

Company on the move

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Livingston, NJ (US)

I worked at CIT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for, good culture, nice people

Cons

Good company, can't think of any

Keep doing what you're doing

Experience depends on the department

Current Employee - IT Developer in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Livingston, NJ (US)

I have been working at CIT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Leadership if you are in the finance departments. John Thain really is a visionary and brilliant manager. Good salaries and flexible work/life balance in general.

Cons

Terrible IT leadership. The CIO brought in 10 managers from UBS to secretly offshore/outsource the IT staff. They are killing morale and destroying the ability of the IT staff teams to deliver on any projects. One manager is dumber than the next and they are only focused on their bonuses. I've never worked for a company where EVERYONE in IT that wasn't a manager was looking for a job - It's incredible and really sad since you have some great people in the organization.

Also very tough for women to work under this crew. They really think it's 1970 - You wouldn't believe the wildly inappropriate comments that come out of this UBS crew.

Fire the lot of them and put in IT management that actually cares about the overall corporate goals and isn't trying to get around labor laws by driving out the existing staff.

No direction - bad place for women

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at CIT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great mid-level management team. Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role.

Cons

No strategic direction. Disturbingly high number of senior executives without requisite skill set to perform effectively. Token female representation in leadership team. Senior women often pushed aside to provide development opportunities for men. In general, lip service paid to employee development.

Executive management needs to be rebalanced with experienced bank managers.

Hostile IT work environment in survivor mode.

Former Employee - Vice President in Livingston, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Livingston, NJ (US)

I worked at CIT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My particular group was fantastic, but almost all either left or were let go. The only good news is that they gave me an excellent package and large bonus, but I can only assume that this will be changed soon, so don't count on it. The new CIO brought in some good directors, but let all the worker bees go. Now what did that cost?

Cons

The IT department is a hostile work environment. There are people there who can only be described as needing medication. Processes date from the 80's. There is a Mainframe mentality. May I quote : "What's wrong with mainframe?". This company is in survivor mode after going through a bankruptcy.

Do some 360 feedbacks. You have not got a clue who your best people are and are not.

CIT Photos