CEB

Updated 26 November, 2014
3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting work, week top level management

I worked at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People, learning, exposure to high level decision making, travel.
    Get in, learn and get out!

Cons

Very sales heavy organization
    Poorly organized decision making process
    CEO rated one of the worst in the US

Read your own research and instil the best practices you preach....

Great company, massive workload

Current Employee - Strategic Research Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Strategic Research Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This review is for a mid-career position in strategic research.
    CEB does great great work. The location, offices are extremely nice. The people who work there are collegial and not competitive. The pay and benefits are very good, and there is time in the calendar to take advantage of paid time off. They have a very sophisticated talent management organization and processes that contribute to employee growth and success. Unlike consulting, there is very little travel.

Cons

60 to 70 hour weeks, and the expectation that you will do work over the weekend is the norm. Your success is tied inexorably to the success of your research program, and, unlike consulting, if you have one less than stellar engagement cycle, your program, and your job, may simply be eliminated. Thus, there is the expectation of a considerable amount of sales support and new business development. The culture relies upon highly ambitious people who are motivated by bonuses and career advancement - simply doing good work is not enough.

Great Culture, Work Environment & Learning Opportunities

Current Employee - AMX in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - AMX in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-culture -smart, fun, attractive and
    -peer-learning and collaboration
    -networking and career pathing
    -learning & development - everyone is willing to help you get where you want to go
    -promotions
    -member partnerships-speaking and/or meeting with F100 executives daily and gaining insight into the business environment at large, but especially in the functional area that you are focused on.

Cons

Direct manager (AM/SE's) sometimes get on "power trips" - well I've only had one who was hard to work with. ... but worth mentioning as this partnerhship is tight knit.

(See Cons).

Some good, some bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

With the right manager and team, a great supportive place to work with plenty of running room to explore your skills

Cons

The culture in some functions borders on the amoral

Introduce morals and ethics into all areas of the company - and mean it.

Great first job

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team, great commission opportunity. I learned a lot and the young culture really appealed to me and continues to.

Cons

Not a ton of room for growth given the practice I was in and there was a lack of structure at the time.

Work hard to maintain today's culture as the business grows in the future

Mostly positive, could pay more for what we do

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not really told how to do my job, but given support when needed. Management are friendly and low key. All management is highly accessible and approachable.

Cons

Probably the worst hiring process I have ever seen. Long delays, terrible job of explaining what the day to day will look like, no interaction with people in seat for the role, and a lot of confusion over amx vs bdx. HR people were friendly, but I had much better interviews with every other company i interviewed with

pay your new hires better. allow flexibility to promote out of SSPD levels without necessarily hitting the exact metric each quarter. This policy takes advantage of new hires and traps them in low paying jobs. 40,000 base for DC is very very low. 55,000 would be more consistent with the nature of the role.

Ups and Downs

Former Employee - Sales/AM
    Former Employee - Sales/AM

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and friendly colleagues.
    Depth of experience in the industry
    Reputation of being the leader

Cons

Top heavy with leadership. After years of mergers and acquisitions the final holder of the prize CEB does not have the passion that former leaders had about the services and technology. As with any publicly traded company the focus is all on revenue regardless of how you get there. Was once a company with passion and a belief in people and results.
    Constant restructuring of sales team/territories/comp plans yearly. Doesn't foster great success in underdeveloped territories. If you are in the clique you are good if you aren't well your are just another cog.
    People who are promoted to management typically do not fit, I have seen many passed over that would have been great leaders.

Be passionate on what the company was founded for and the values, people before profit. Be honest and straightforward and HR needs to get a backbone and voice for the employee.

It was alright, not ideal

Former Employee - Business Development Representative
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative

I worked at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a great place for a self motivated individual. The training was excellent and there were lots of people to mentor you.

Cons

I didn't like the sales quotas. They were unrealistic, I tripled my required dial outs for the day and didn't even hit a third of my sales quotas.

Take care of your people and invest in them properly. You have all this best practices data you should use it to better your own company.

You will essentially be working at a call centre as a BDX

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at CEB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is in a great location. Very little overtime expected.

Cons

The London office is basically just one big sales floor, except you don't have very much idea about what you're selling at all. Apparently things are very different in overseas offices. Pay is terrible and rises slowly. Almost all of the sales staff you meet are vastly overqualified for their roles. Some regional teams are cleeky and HR aren't particularly nice people to deal with either

Young, Multicultural, Dynamic Environment

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team. You have the advantage of working with some of the smartest people out in the market place right now.
    Good social scene.
    Salary is ok based on current market trends.
    Opportunity to work with C-suite execs from some of the largest global companies.

Cons

Do not expect work-life balance, this is an all absorbing place of work. The company operates a very lean approach so be prepared for a heavy work load.
    Very American company: the performance reviews can be violent if there is so much as a hint in under performance.

The approach is very rigid, siloed and "one size fits all". Understand that european markets are different from the US and therefore the go to market approach needs to be differentiated due to more limited scaleability.