CEB

Updated 3 March, 2015
3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting work, week top level management

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People, learning, exposure to high level decision making, travel.
    Get in, learn and get out!

Cons

Very sales heavy organization
    Poorly organized decision making process
    CEO rated one of the worst in the US

Read your own research and instil the best practices you preach....

Senior Relationship Manager

Former Employee - SRM in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - SRM in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management gives autonomy on new business targets

Cons

Business plan is variable during the year

Increase diversity in workforce

Great place to start a career

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The exposure to C level executives so early in your career is unprecedented

Cons

Very young company and you can get a feeling of 'growing out of it'

Great business

Very Fast-paced, collaborative, flexible

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Prior to joining CEB, I worked at several other companies, and can say that the people that I have met here are some of the smartest, most energizing people I've ever worked with in a professional setting. The work that the firm does is also very interesting and impacts thousands and thousands of other companies, which is very cool to be a part of. On a personal level, I'm grateful for the volunteer service hours and the flexibility that I have which allows me to better blend work/life.

Cons

It is incredibly fast-paced and if you can't juggle multiple, simultaneous key deliverables, it will be hard to keep your "head above water." CEB is a global company, so depending upon your role, you may have early calls or late calls with other locations. The constant flow of work and global setting sometimes makes you feel like you've always go to be "on."

Certain locations only offer certain roles; consider allowing staff members outside of DC to work in traditionally DC-roles.

Great personal experience

Former Employee - Engagement Manager
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very diverse academic backgrounds leads to lots of opportunities to engage in interesting conversations. Work life balance is not unreasonable.

Cons

Company operates in silos. I was lucky to be in a silo that celebrated talent (Solutions) but have definitely heard of others not having the same experience.

CEB definitely benefits from being one of the few large private sector oriented companies in DC. As a best practice company there are definitely opportunities for improvement in some internal functions (IT in particular). Also I think there needs to be a new effort to define the company's value proposition. The rebrand has gone well, but there are too many junior people in sales who can't speak to the strength of all the memberships thereby limiting cross-selling opportunities.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Web Associate in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Web Associate in New Delhi (India)

I worked at CEB

Pros

Awesome place to work
    Nice people at workplace
    Good work life balance
    Good compensation and benefits
    Overall I recommend working in CEB

Cons

As such there is nothing negative about the place. I worked for around an year and I loved it. I had to leave because I was relocating to some other place. If I ever return I would love to work for CEB again.
    The team I worked with was awesome and very helpful. I got lot of appreciation for my good work. and it was highly motivated. Always encouraged to use new ideas.

none

Current Senior Analyst, Executive Advisor. Previously a Business Development Representative.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Young, fun culture
    - Direct interaction with senior executives around the globe
    - Growing company with decent brand name

Cons

- Average compensation across company is way below market
    - Unprofessional culture, at times
    - Promotion potential / career pathing is generally limited in most functions

Pay your employees better

So far so good

I have been working at CEB

Pros

Great company smart coworkers I plan on staying here a while

Cons

Disconnect between management and employees

Great company, bad sales environment

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, a great way to make friends if you are new grad. Opportunities to move laterally if you do not enjoy your current role, as you get to apply internally before jobs are posted to the public. Very clear goals and advancement structure, generally a very organized company. Overall very transparent.

Cons

The cons mostly start with the recruitment process. I applied for the Business Development Associate position, and was told it was a sales job, but that I would have a real opportunity to get to know the business and develop my analytic skills. In reality, I had to memorize a bunch of information I didn't understand and regurgitate that to potential clients while cold calling, which gave me very little confidence on the phone. Additionally, your performance in the beginning is very heavily dictated by whom your sales representative is. My sales rep stole opportunities from me and it made it very difficult for me to do well. It was my first job out of college so it wasn't easy for me to stand up to her and I was miserable for the first few months, believing I was a failure, when in reality it was a failure of their sales system. Sales reps should not have so much control over the success of their Associates. Additionally, the Revenue Managers were the worst micromanagers, making me feel more like a pre-schooler than a college educated, responsible adult.

Treat your Business Development Associates like adults, and give them more responsibility. If they flounder, than you can fire them. However, they will continue leaving en masse (I know because my entire start class but one is gone) if you continue to micro manage the way you do.

Be more a cheerleader than an enforcer to your team. Follow through on special incentives and perks, and make sure that when your team does something well you recognize it. If you don't , it feels like management is never happy.

Be more mindful in those you hire, and be clear on what the expectations are. Its a waste of time for both CEB and the interviewee to accept a position that they are not comfortable doing, or are not right for.

Put floating holidays in place, and allow more days off in Quarter 4. People do not work well when they're overworked, stressed out, and deprived of time with their families.

I had a great time at this company for a year right out of college.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great managers
    -Great Benefits
    -Good work-life balance (out by 5:30pm/6pm every day)
    -Proximity to senior execs at companies

Cons

-Lower starting salary than other consulting firms
    -Many analysts leave the firm after a year or two